HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 11:52 PM

San Jose: Projects and Developments

Centerra | 21 Floors | 66M / 217 ft

Courtesy Simeon Properties:

Has been under construction for almost 2 years, construction is about to wrap up, with leasing site already up: http://www.liveatcenterra.com/

The Pierce | 7 Floors | 26M / 86 ft

Courtesy CBG Building Company.

Current Progress (As of Oct 10, 2015):

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 1:25 AM

Santa Clara Family Justice Center | 8 Floors | 30M / 100ft

Santa Clara Family Justice Center | 8 Floors | 30M / 100ft

Courtesy California Courts

Courtesy: Hensel Phelps

As of Oct 18, 2015:

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 6:48 AM

Donner Lofts | 6 Floors

Donner Lofts | 6 Floors

Courtesy Mid Pen Housing

Affordable housing by MidPen Housing, broke ground in January:
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/n...it-donner.html

As Of Nov 1, 2015:

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 7:13 AM

Development Map

Google Map with all downtown developments:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...s.kqttminkN5y8

Courtesy Think Bigger San Jose

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 8:21 PM

27 N. 6th St. | 7 FL | approx 24M / 80ft

27 N. 6th St. | 7 FL | approx 24M / 80ft

Student housing for SJSU students, about 100 units, but housing for close to 400 students.

Courtesy Symphony Development:

Progress as of Oct 18, 2015;

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 8:29 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Hi cardinal. Thanks for posting those updates and welcome to the forum. We also have a Bay Area compilation thread where you can add these updates as well.

Also, thanks in particular for the link to the downtown development map. That is really helpful in seeing where all these are located, including future plans. There's a lot more in the pipeline than I realized. It seems that area north of Santa Clara St. in particular is going to undergo a huge transformation.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 1:19 AM

SJSU Campus Village Phase II | 10FL | approx 30M/100ft

SJSU Campus Village Phase II | 10FL | approx 30M/100ft

Courtesy Largo Concrete

SJSU is also building housing for its own students, this 10 story dorm building will have housing for 850 students.
http://www.sundt.com/media/blog/2015...t-next-summer/

Progress as of Oct 18, 2015:

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Hi cardinal. Thanks for posting those updates and welcome to the forum. We also have a Bay Area compilation thread where you can add these updates as well.

Also, thanks in particular for the link to the downtown development map. That is really helpful in seeing where all these are located, including future plans. There's a lot more in the pipeline than I realized. It seems that area north of Santa Clara St. in particular is going to undergo a huge transformation.
I apologize, I didn't see that thread when I first clicked here, and I didn't find one for San Jose when I did a search, so I figured I should create one.

I'm not opposed to putting updates on that thread, but I'm afraid that based on the amount of updates there San Jose would end up dominating the entire thread.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 4:20 PM

AC Hotel | 7 Floors | Approx 26.5M/ 87ft

AC Hotel | 7 Floors | Approx 26.5M/ 87ft

Courtesy The San Jose Blog/ Silicon Valley Business Journal

Hotel has been under construction for a while now and has been topped off

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 6:28 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^I didn't really like the AC Hotel at first glance, but it is starting to grow on me. Fills a long-standing gap along Santa Clara St. too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
I apologize, I didn't see that thread when I first clicked here, and I didn't find one for San Jose when I did a search, so I figured I should create one.

I'm not opposed to putting updates on that thread, but I'm afraid that based on the amount of updates there San Jose would end up dominating the entire thread.
No biggie, just letting you know if you wanted to broaden the audience. I think it's great to have this thread too. Maybe you can do a summary update in the other thread from time to time?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 8:24 AM

Silvery Towers | 20FL and 22FL | 64M and 70M / (210ft and 228ft)

Silvery Towers | 20FL and 22FL | 64M and 70M / (210ft and 228ft)

Courtesy C2K Architecture

Quote:
C2K Architecture is designing the Silvery Towers Condominiums on behalf of Full Power Properties, LLC. The development is located in downtown San Jose. It will feature two high-rise towers and a retail podium that will extend the San Pedro Square arts and entertainment district.
643 units in two condo towers right by San Pedro Square, this lot is practically kitty corner to Centerra.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 12:24 AM

Marshall Squares | 7 Floors | 25M/81ft

Marshall Squares | 7 Floors | 25M/81ft

Courtesy The Registry SF

Demo work had started by Oct 4, 2015:

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 4:32 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the great updates! We have long needed someone to keep us up to date on San Jose.

I lived at South 14th and East San Antonio in '91 and '92, and it's great to see how much is changing downtown. It's a whole different place now.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 8:25 AM

Post Street Tower | 21 Floors | 70M/230ft

Post Street Tower | 21 Floors | 70M/230ft

Courtesy Silicon Valley Business Journal

Quote:

The joint venture last week submitted a revised planning package. While the 21-story building remains the same in its "massing" — or total size and footprint — as before, it's gone up by 20 units (to 202) and is sporting a new design courtesy of Ankrom Moisan Architects.

The result is a concrete-and-glass structure with plenty of angles, finishes and overhangs. A three-level podium gives way to a the main bulk of the tower, which is livened with a variety of planes and window treatments. Near the top, the building is set back again, creating another amenities deck. Balconies also play a big role in the design, wrapping around corners and liberally dotting the facade.

Given the hot market and ever-rising construction costs, the developer is looking to get started as soon as possible. Another factor for the push: The expiration of a city incentive for residential high-rises which means the tower must break ground by June of 2016. Kim said the financing for apartment towers in Silicon Valley is good.
This building has yet to break ground, the quote at the end gives a good guideline, I think they will break ground early next year.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the great updates! We have long needed someone to keep us up to date on San Jose.

I lived at South 14th and East San Antonio in '91 and '92, and it's great to see how much is changing downtown. It's a whole different place now.
I may live downtown, but I really love both Shasta/Hanchett Park and Naglee Park, the mix of Victorian, Eduardian, Craftsman style, Spanish Colonial Revival and the like is very nice. As much as I like all the developments downtown and in some other neighborhoods, I certainly feel that Naglee Park is one of those areas where development should be restricted in some sense.

Owning one of those houses is certainly an envious position.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 7:20 PM

Parkview Towers | 12 - 18 Floors | Approx 60M/ 197ft

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/n...ames-park.html
Quote:
Park View Towers poised to add to St. James Park revival

That could all change after the San Jose City Council on Tuesday gave final approval to a redesigned $150 million mixed-use high-rise condo project there called Park View Towers, brushing aside objections from the Preservation Action Council of San Jose that the development was out of character with the historic area.

The go-ahead means BSB can move forward with the complex process of moving the historic church so that site work can begin in earnest, a prelude to vertical construction. (The church will then be moved back and renovated for commercial use, making it the centerpiece of the two-tower, 220-unit project.) And it raises hopes for a long-awaited revival of the St. James Park, a vast downtown open space designed by Frederick Law Olmstead but an area that has long struggled with homelessness and drugs.

"This is a critical milestone in the history of St. James Park," said Christy Mabry, senior development manager for BSB. "It will be a huge catalyst. It will get the eyes on the park."
Work hasn't started in moving the church or demo of the parking lot currently at the site. Speculation has been on an early 2016 date, but no confirmation on that.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/n...ames-park.html

Work hasn't started in moving the church or demo of the parking lot currently at the site. Speculation has been on an early 2016 date, but no confirmation on that.
Is there a mechanism in place to make sure the church is actually moved back?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
Is there a mechanism in place to make sure the church is actually moved back?
I have seen nothing regulatory that would mandate that, it is a historical structure, and their approval was in part due to the renovation of the building.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 4:50 PM

Station Village | 7 Floors | 25M /82ft

Station Village | 7 Floors | 25M /82ft

Courtesy Chandler Pratt / KTGY EIR

From Silicon Valley Business Journal:
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/n...e-project.html

Quote:
Chandler Pratt & Partners expects to break ground in spring 2015 on 785-807 The Alameda, a roughly $60 million, transit-oriented development that will include 140 apartments and 20,000 square feet of commercial space, including office and retail.

The KTGY-designed project is just one that is contributing to a revitalized neighborhood, one of the city's most historic. At 345 Stockton Ave., AvalonBay is completing Avalon Morrison Park, an $80 million development that includes about 250 units and is now leasing. The Alameda itself is is also benefiting from a $4.5 million streetscape improvement project designed to make the road, one of the state's first and often called "the Beautiful Way," more walkable.

"I'm really encouraged by the Whole Foods," said Larry Clark, president of the Alameda Business Association. "The Whole Foods is one anchor tenant, and then you have the anchor businesses on the Alameda. With the new residents, you'll have a reason to walk from one end to the other."

Demo work has just started, did not break ground in the spring.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 2:23 AM

The Modera | 8 Floors | 26M / 85ft

The Modera | 8 Floors | 26M / 85ft

Courtesy Mill Creek Residential / Steinberg Architects EIR

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/n...tments-in.html

Quote:
San Pedro Square in line for 200 apartments in McEnery, Mill Creek plan

Working with Mill Creek Residential Trust, an investment and development firm, McEnery and his partners are proposing a 204-unit apartment complex for a 1-acre parcel at 45 N. San Pedro St. A formal city planning application was submitted last week.

Enter Mill Creek, a Texas-based firm founded by a group of former executives from Trammell Crow Co., the mammoth development outfit now owned by CBRE. Donald Peterson, a senior managing director at Mill Creek's San Francisco office, was looking for Bay Area projects and was already familiar with the San Pedro Square area.

"As far as I was concerned, that was ground zero," Peterson said.

Mill Creek's and McEnery's project is in some ways more difficult: Its mid-block location and historic neighbors pose unique challenges.

"It's one of downtown's most important infill sites nestled between the historic buildings and the heart of San Pedro Square," said Scott Knies, executive director of the San Jose Downtown Association. "It has to be designed and executed brilliantly."

No idea on the timeline here, some of the businesses that were located in the soon to be demolished buildings have already left, so I wouldn't be surprised if they break ground early next year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West