HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Damn, these look ugly. I don't understand the slight angle on the south building; maybe its trying to look like its in parallel with the SEPTA tracks. And the architect in usual architect speak talked about the "power of having twin buildings", such bullshit.
These are so cheap looking that they make "One Riverside" look like a real gift to the City!
All I can say is that they'll fit right in with the other junk that's been built over the years right there along the river.
Personally I would be more then ok with nothing being built there until a reasonable design was presented. It burns me when the City is so willing to hand out changes to the law regulating zoning and/or give variances and then asks for nothing in return. I would think that would the perfect time to try to cut a deal for better design.
Since this is one of the last empty plots along the East Banks, I'd be ok waiting for a nice condo proposal with a better design too. But maybe we will get something great where Mandeville was supposed to be at Sansom or maybe 2400 Chestnut will be reclad, or maybe a developer will knock down the building that houses Sweat Fitness -- which looks like crap -- and put a tower up there. I'm not that upset.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 12:36 AM

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 12:42 AM

Ah, false alarm. This was the previously proposed project that is still in the OP.
Nearly had a heart attack there.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Damn, these look ugly. I don't understand the slight angle on the south building; maybe its trying to look like its in parallel with the SEPTA tracks. And the architect in usual architect speak talked about the "power of having twin buildings", such bullshit.
These are so cheap looking that they make "One Riverside" look like a real gift to the City!
All I can say is that they'll fit right in with the other junk that's been built over the years right there along the river.
Personally I would be more then ok with nothing being built there until a reasonable design was presented. It burns me when the City is so willing to hand out changes to the law regulating zoning and/or give variances and then asks for nothing in return. I would think that would the perfect time to try to cut a deal for better design.
I've said it before, but they look like two giant upright gaming consoles. I dislike almost everything about them; the shape, the color, the positioning...I just don't get it. And for the record, I actually kind of like One Riverside and think it's perfectly fine for what it is.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 1:46 PM

I understand that people don't like the smaller buildings/configuration of the (old?) rendering, but continuing Arch st as a pedestrian plaza with a track crossing is far better than the towers in a park concept seen with the taller buildings.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 2:33 PM
Philly Pholly

When I see proposals like this, I find it hard to imagine that the execution will be any better than the generic illustrations they chose to represent the project. There seems to be a lot going on at the base but with such simplistic renderings it makes me question the thought or commitment that went into it. Makes me feel that they'll use whatever trendy affordable finishes that are currently available. An inspiring location with an uninspired solution.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
An inspiring location with an uninspired solution.
PMC's forte.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
An inspiring location with an uninspired solution.
'Tis the Philadelphia way, it seems. Settling for low heights and unoriginal and lame designs. It's pathetic, but it's reality.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
'Tis the Philadelphia way, it seems. Settling for low heights and unoriginal and lame designs. It's pathetic, but it's reality.

I'd be the first to knock this very below average proposal, but not everything that gets built in our fair city is junk; the Mormon tower comes to mind as a good solid design. Certainly not cutting edge, but I'd trade a whole bunch of PMC projects for another one of theirs.

I realize that there are some voices on this outlet that seemingly believe that any development, any place and at any time is a good idea; I'm just the opposite.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 1:23 AM

Center City District report also claims a June 2017 start date for this:
http://centercityphila.org/uploads/a...2017-final.pdf

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 7:48 PM
build awesome buildings

Delete

Last edited by El Duderino; Jul 3, 2017 at 3:32 PM. Reason: wrong info posted

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 1:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
Credit to 1487 for the news (copying this from an unrelated thread): "Core and shell permit issued 6/20. Looks like this is going to be steel like East Market and Vue 32."

This is going to make a major impression from all sorts of angles near the river.
Not for this building.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 3:24 PM
build awesome buildings

my bad - what was this in reference to?

EDIT: i see now, sorry for the misinterpretation.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 5:53 PM

If anyone is interested, the office I work at sent out a notice to employees that the parking lot at 23rd and Arch will be closed in September for the construction of two apartment towers, a supermarket and retail space.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 5:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
If anyone is interested, the office I work at sent out a notice to employees that the parking lot at 23rd and Arch will be closed in September for the construction of two apartment towers, a supermarket and retail space.
well that's some good news

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 5:56 PM

Very nice!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 8:48 PM
build awesome buildings

awesome - hopefully that implies this will be built in one phase (there was previously talk of two in the Curbed article posted previously).

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 9:10 PM

I know PMC gets knocked for uninspired buildings (and remember the One Water Street shenanigans), but if Gensler is the design/architectural firm doing this project--maybe it will turn out better than the renderings?? I didn't realize Gensler did Shanghai Tower, and a lot of great buildings all over the world.

Hoping for the best at this great location.

https://www.gensler.com/projects

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 2:42 AM
Philly Pholly

I notice they also did that strange new tower in Pittsburgh

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
I know PMC gets knocked for uninspired buildings (and remember the One Water Street shenanigans), but if Gensler is the design/architectural firm doing this project--maybe it will turn out better than the renderings?? I didn't realize Gensler did Shanghai Tower, and a lot of great buildings all over the world.

Hoping for the best at this great location.

https://www.gensler.com/projects
It's a good thought - but even giants like Gensler have a lot of young junior architects who need to cut their teeth on something...projects like this are ideal for that. Let's bring Jonny up from the mailroom and give him the PMC commission.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive