HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 4:14 AM

I think right now it would mainly be the track geometry and putting in catenary that is either ready for high speeds or can be upgraded easily. Granted, the trains will be stopping, so high speeds won't really be expected, but they might as well put it all in once instead of coming back and disrupting service later.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 1:48 PM

Also around King and Victoria is Perimeter Development's "The Breithaupt Block" It consists of five small brick and beam buildings that have been converted into loft offices and one big building that will be Google's new HQ in town

Here's the layout:

http://www.thebreithauptblock.com/

http://www.thebreithauptblock.com/

The building facing King street will go from two floors to five and contain 102,000 sq ft for Google:

http://www.zehrgroup.ca/

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 3:13 PM

And a nice big parking lot begging to be built on. All in good time.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 3:32 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
I'd even extend that to north of University. Although there's still slight hope for the East side of King st.
Sorry, that is what I meant. It's been awhile since I was last in Waterloo.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

With the new transit hub, what are the plans for the old train station and old bus terminal? The old train station is quite nice and the existing bus terminal is so central!

Flickr®

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
With the new transit hub, what are the plans for the old train station and old bus terminal? The old train station is quite nice and the existing bus terminal is so central!
Nothing yet.

The bus terminal my guess is that it'll be sold off to a developer. That size of land could produce a great twin tower residential project.

As for the train station I like it too. I've always envisioned it being incorporated into a new development. My vision sees it being flanked by buildings on either side of it and a large public square at street level with steps leading up to the train station which can be retrofitted for either retail or a restaurant.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHLawrence View Post
I hope they are smart enough to build the platform area with high speed rail in mind, even if it does take another 20 years to get the service.
The recent decision to delay the new Margaret Ave bridge was based on the possible need to take a high speed track into account, so it does seem to be figuring in folks minds.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHLawrence View Post
And a nice big parking lot begging to be built on. All in good time.
Given Perimeter Development's resources you've got to imagine quite the project to pop up there in the future. They can offer some underground parking to mitigate the loss of the parking lot, but with the transit station Im not even sure they'd need to.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 2:12 PM

Very interesting proposal for Columbia and Albert in Waterloo:

Posted by Rangersfan - http://www.waterlooregionconnected.c....php?f=7&t=120

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
Very interesting proposal for Columbia and Albert in Waterloo:

Posted by Rangersfan - http://www.waterlooregionconnected.c....php?f=7&t=120
I had a hard time picturing what angle this render is from. I can't imagine anywhere around there that has that many trees. Mostly, they do a good job at hiding those houses along Columbia.

It's nice to see some more development happening on the north side of Columbia.

I'm quite surprised at the reduction in parking that went with this project. The typical requirement is 818, and they ended up at 283. I think it's a good thing but not the sort of thing I'm used to seeing proposed or approved.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timc View Post
I'm quite surprised at the reduction in parking that went with this project. The typical requirement is 818, and they ended up at 283. I think it's a good thing but not the sort of thing I'm used to seeing proposed or approved.
Given that on the other side of Columbia Street, the zoning now allows 0.25 parking spots per bedroom, it's pretty hard to oppose a similar standard here. The conditions aren't really much different.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timc View Post
I had a hard time picturing what angle this render is from. I can't imagine anywhere around there that has that many trees. Mostly, they do a good job at hiding those houses along Columbia.

It's nice to see some more development happening on the north side of Columbia.

It's looking from Columbia closer to Phillip toward Albert. There's some trees there, but not as many as are shown in the render.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario