HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 1:57 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Lightbulb Edmonton Tram/Funicular Railway?

Tram/train dream still on rails
City to hire consultant to select best concept

Susan Ruttan
The Edmonton Journal

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

EDMONTON - Here's the dream: Atop Grierson Hill sits Downtown East, the redevelopment of a grungy part of the city centre into a smart shopping and housing area. Below is Louise McKinney Park, an ambitious oasis built on the terraces that cascade down the hill to the river.

And connecting the two projects? Some kind of machine to carry people up and down the hill.

It could be a funicular railway, a little train running up and down the hill on tracks. Or it could be an aerial tram riding a cable along the same route. City planners see it as the key to making Louise McKinney Park a popular downtown destination for locals and tourists alike.

"It's always been a dream of ours -- of everyone in the city, I think -- that people who aren't terribly athletic can get up and down into the river valley," says Bob Caldwell, special projects manager for the city planning department.

The dream, however, faces challenges both financial and geological.

Budget-cutting has chopped in half the 2007 funding for Downtown East. Caldwell has salvaged $30,000 out of the remaining $500,000 Downtown East budget to keep the lift idea alive.

With the salvaged money, he plans to hire a consultant who can help determine what will suit the hill best, a funicular or a tram. He hopes to have an answer in the next year.

The geology of the area poses a challenge, too. Edmonton's riverbanks are made of deep soil and clay, not bedrock, Caldwell says. That makes them unstable.

"We've rebuilt Grierson Hill twice in my time here," he says. "Slides are common. The city has a large, large budget for slide repairs, always has."

A funicular would travel over a new bridge across Grierson Hill Road and make its first stop on the upper terrace of Louise McKinney Park.

The train car would then continue down the slope and make its final stop in the park's riverfront plaza, an area slated to have street vendors, rollerblade rentals and eventually a cafe.

Building a train track on a slope that tends to crumble won't be easy.

"The engineering of something like this is a very complex piece," Caldwell says.

With an aerial tram, engineers would have to worry about ground stability only at the pillars where the tram is anchored. And there would be no need for a bridge, since the tram cars would glide over the road on the cable.

But the aerial tram has its own problems. The tram line will have to be high enough to pass over the vehicles on Grierson Hill Road, yet it's supposed to have a stop on the park's upper terrace right below the road.

In fact, Caldwell says, the platform for that upper terrace stop could be three metres off the ground. People getting off the tram might have to reach the ground by elevator or stairs -- hardly an ideal situation. Also unanswered is whether the lift should have one car or two, how big the cars should be and whether it would be staffed or automated.

"Maybe you could just put in a toonie and push a button and along comes the lift," says parks planner Gabriele Barry.

The world's newest aerial tram opened Jan. 27 in Portland, Ore., carrying passengers from the city's waterfront to a university on a mountain. Fans of the Portland Aerial Tram see it as a defining feature of the city, like Seattle's Space Needle or San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge. Critics point to its cost, which rose from $15 million to $57 million US.

A lot of things pushed up the cost of the Portland Aerial Tram, says Caldwell, including the fact the tram cars travelled over an upscale neighbourhood that made a number of demands.

However, he warns that the Edmonton system "may require a very large order expenditure" -- perhaps $10 million to $15 million.

Coun. Michael Phair likes the idea of a funicular or tram, but he cautions against underestimating the cost.

"I don't want people to think it's only going to be a few million dollars," Phair said.

He expects the final bill would be more than $15 million.

Once the city gets more work done on the Downtown East revitalization and on McKinney Park, he said, the lift idea would make more sense.

"I think it's going to be a little bit of time yet before we do it, a couple of years anyway."

GOING UP

- The world went crazy for funicular railways in the late 1800s.

Pittsburgh once had more than a dozen and Canadian cities, such as Hamilton, Niagara Falls and Edmonton, had funiculars, too.

- The song Funiculi, Funicula was written by Italian journalist Peppino Turco and composer Luigi Denza in 1880 to commemorate the opening of the first funicular on Mount Vesuvius.

- The Edmonton Incline Railway, opened in 1908 by the Chateau Lacombe, carried horses, carts and pedestrians between the river valley and downtown. It closed in 1913 with the opening of the High Level Bridge.

GOING DOWN

- In 2006, passengers on the Roosevelt Island Tramway carrying commuters across a river to Manhattan were stuck for up to 12 hours when the tram stopped working. All were rescued.

- In 1996, two tourists died and 14 were injured when a cable on the Quebec City funicular snapped and the car plunged down the hill. The funicular was rebuilt and reopened the next year.

THE OPTIONS

- A funicular railway, or incline railway, is a transit car that runs up a hill on train tracks attached to a cable.

- An aerial tram is a transit car attached to a cable that travels through the air.

SEE MORE

For links to information, photos and videos about funiculars and aerial trams, including Mario Lanza's version of Funiculi, Funicula, go to www.edmontonjournal.com.

Ran with fact boxes "Going Up", "Going Down", "The Options", and "See More", which have been appended to this story.
© The Edmonton Journal 2007

Copyright © 2007 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Putting the "fun" in "funicular".......

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 2:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

This would be neat if they can pull it off. Quebec City has had a funicular railway for years.

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 4:52 PM
brento79

I hope there is more than a park and one cafe if they do this right it will be a major attraction at the bottom and top, otherwise I vote to spend the money else where.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 5:12 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

see, now if this works, why not bring that boat that goes up and down the river to the north bank and have that at the end of the tram or funicular line?

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 5:19 PM
Dreaming in Colour

All nice and good, but there better be a bloody good reason at the bottom of the tram for people to want to use it. Otherwise...

That means really beefing up Louise McKinney Park with destinations.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 5:20 PM

Interesting idea, Good luck with that.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 5:36 PM
brento79

Quote:
Originally Posted by murman View Post
All nice and good, but there better be a bloody good reason at the bottom of the tram for people to want to use it. Otherwise...

That means really beefing up Louise McKinney Park with destinations.

Exactly, there better be a stellar attraction to attract people. this should be a centrepoint attraction for the city if it goes through.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 5:57 PM
Community Guy

Louise McKinney park is working on finishing the Chinese garden/temple, there will be a cafe and rollerblade rental place, and there will be a riverwalk/boardwalk. Also, there is a central pavillion which will have theatre, outdoor music, etc.

But SO SO SO many people dont even know about this park.

As for the boat, there is a bridge that goes right to it from the bottom....also to Muttart.

But yes, this is a lot of money for 5 people a day.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 6:03 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

A funicular is a cool idea for Louise McKinney Park, but I'm skeptical if that's ever going to be feasible unless the Jasper East redevelopment goes up as planned. The problem is that I think that the Jasper East redevelopment budget's been cut, probably due to rising construction costs. Not only that, there's nothing much down at the bottom of the river valley to entice people there. What's worse, is that the Edmonton Queen riverboat is docked at the other side of the river.

IMO, Downtown East Jasper should be redeveloped a lot more fully first, and there should be either something to attract people or move the riverboat dock over to the north side of the river. Otherwise a funicular might be nothing more than a white elephant.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 6:56 PM

why not build an escalator that goes up 150 up in the air to nothing. (picture people slowing and smoothly rising to the top, only to fall off at the end - think Simpsons episode)
Kind of like building a funicular that goes from nowhere down to nothing..
Is Edmonton turning into Springfield
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 7:58 PM
DRINK

I love the idea, but like most others, it is something we should plan for now and revisit 10 years down the road.

The river Queen MUST be moved to Louise Mckinney park.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 9:17 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
I love the idea, but like most others, it is something we should plan for now and revisit 10 years down the road.

The river Queen MUST be moved to Louise Mckinney park.

no...it is on that side for a reason...current/protection.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCentaur View Post
The problem is that I think that the Jasper East redevelopment budget's been cut, probably due to rising construction costs.
Only in Edmonton would it be assumed that giving developers a huge tract of land to fix up would cost the city money.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 10:42 PM
Community Guy

^the city doesnt own much of the east jasper land....so this argument is moo

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 12:48 AM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Well, I thought I saw somewhere on C2E that the budget for East Jasper got cut or something....

That wouldn't be too good, would it?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 2:27 AM
Kevin Folds Five

euch, bad idea - for many reasons. Some being - Aesthetically out of place (think expo '86 with a touch of jetsons), vandalism, cost, location, lack-of-demand.

Theme park our River Valley? How about we throw in a gigantic zepplin launch pad and an escalator to nowhere ;p

Let's focus our time on WLRT to actually BRING people downtown, then think about ways to get them up hills. :/

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 3:02 AM
serial audiophile

Save this idea until i am old and crippled. This city already has a quaint railway system with the Street Car set up. I don't think there is room for another novelty like that. No more 19th century projects please, let's try some 21st century plans like garbage collection, street cleaning, LRT extensions, etc...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 3:10 AM

An OK idea as an add-on to a multi-billion dollar project. Kooky as a stand alone project.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 9:33 PM

Edmonton's River Valley Funicular a Landmark Project for the Alberta Capital

Quote:
Known officially as the Mechanized River Valley Access (MRVA) Project, progress at the site of Edmonton's river valley funicular has been moving along nicely since construction began in the spring, with recent photos revealing the project's size and scope, along with its visual impact on the surrounding urban context.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 9:54 PM
Community Guy

Discussion in the river valley thread... but all good.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton