HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 6:07 AM

Edmonton Municipal Politics Thread

Well, we're about a year away from a fresh election in this city (and province), and I thought a thread dedicated to the discussion of municipal politics and issues would be apt. I moved here about two years ago now, and absolutely love it. Have lived downtown the whole time, and gladly voted for Laurie Blakeman and Randy Boissonault (so you have an idea of my biases). One thing I've never been able to truly navigate well is municipal politics here, though (beside the odd run-in and selfie with Don Iveson). But the folks on this forum seem like a very wealthy resource of information and insights into the goings-on, and I'd like to hear your thoughts and opinions. How has the mayor's term been? Has he lived up to expectations? What is your opinion of council, and some individual councilors? What change if direction, if any, are you looking at? And are there any rumblings about people running next year, for the mayoralty, for council spots, etc?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 2:22 PM
Community Guy

I voted the same and very much look forward to the next election.

Municipally I don't foresee a huge change, but certainly ward 7 where Chris A. will be very well positioned.

Curious to see what BenHen does.

As for the Mayor, generally speaking I really like what he has been doing, albeit much behind the scenes and that is my only major criticism. I would like Don to get out in front of the people more and do so in an honest and direct way, not apologetically post-mortem.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 3:48 PM
DRINK

I'm expecting a shift to the right.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 3:49 PM

Council seems to be better focused than I have seen in, (cough-cough) years and I credit both the electorate and Mayor Don equally for that.

I know the national media (read Toronto-CALGARY-Vancouver and screw the rest of us) figuratively masturbate over Nenshi - but I think Iveson has been much more effective.

Yep, like Nenshi, Mayor Don has his verbal-stupid moments, but over-all he's been very effective and very, pardon me, Edmonton - as in pragmatic left, which is to say left leaning but fiscally prudent.

Also a DT resident (and also loving it), and find Scott McKeen easy to support for re-election.

He's a hipster, which wouldn't normally be my pack, but I think he not only most often speaks my mind on civic issues, but also is a good listener; a trait often missing in politicians of any stripe.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
I'm expecting a shift to the right.
The only way that happens is the with the manifestation of a right of center demagogue that polarizes the blue collar types. Same could be said at the provincial and federal levels though. A Trump type won't cut it though. It has to be someone with more brains than ego.

I think we benefit when there are strong alternatives at each level of government, and unfortunately we seem to be missing that right now.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 4:36 PM

Iveson and the rest of city council get a passing grade for the most part, but it seems like a lot more was accomplished during Mandel's tenure (although the economy plays a big part of that, which they have no control over). It's hard to say how a re-election will fare because I think many people are going associate this mayor and city council with all of the transportation project shit-shows (most started under the prior councils).

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 5:57 PM

This Council and particularly the Mayor are not "doers" or "builders". Edmonton has become stagnant under this Mayor and Council. They are bogged down in minertia ... and not focused on growth, the economy and City building. There are some folks on Council like Mike Nickle that prod and poke for progress...but the majority are complacent. Although I supported the colour red last elections ... I wont be next time. Edmonton will soon be suffering as the economy dives and we as a City need to have exceptional leadership to move us forward. It is going to take business savvy and vision, muscle, and credibility to woo investors and developers to this City. Current Council clearly are inept - and projects they have touched are a cluster fuck. Voters are going to be motivated for change - I know I am.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 6:24 AM
Urbis Maximus

I actually think we'll see a number of new faces on Council in 2017, as of now I expect up to 4 newbies.

Likely out - Anderson, Gibbons, Oshry.

Maybe - Henderson, Caterina.

Likely re-elected - Iveson, Bagga, Knack, McKeen, Loken, Esslinger, Walters, Nickel.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 1:14 PM

Weren't most of the cluster projects sanctioned by the previous council?
Iveson isn't the magical breath of fresh air that alot of people thought he would be but on a few big items he inherited a bag of shit.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 1:44 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
This Council and particularly the Mayor are not "doers" or "builders". Edmonton has become stagnant under this Mayor and Council. They are bogged down in minertia ... and not focused on growth, the economy and City building. There are some folks on Council like Mike Nickle that prod and poke for progress...but the majority are complacent. Although I supported the colour red last elections ... I wont be next time. Edmonton will soon be suffering as the economy dives and we as a City need to have exceptional leadership to move us forward. It is going to take business savvy and vision, muscle, and credibility to woo investors and developers to this City. Current Council clearly are inept - and projects they have touched are a cluster fuck. Voters are going to be motivated for change - I know I am.
The fence on the HLB is the perfect example of how terrible most of the current group is. nobody can say no to social issues no matter how silly they are.

We should be extremely concerned Edmonton is heading down the path of Vancouver or Toronto. We're slowing going to make it unaffordable to own a house because of some misplaced guilt when it comes to the lifestyle we currently enjoy....but at least it will make a nice post card

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 2:06 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
Yep, like Nenshi, Mayor Don has his verbal-stupid moments, but over-all he's been very effective and very, pardon me, Edmonton - as in pragmatic left, which is to say left leaning but fiscally prudent.
To be fair, Naheed has been hamstrung by a very conservative, suburban Council, especially in the last three years. He doesn't even get the benefit of executive orders, like a certain American President.

Flickr

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Well that's a way to look at things I guess I'm certainly not convinced nickel's approach is at all progressive, or that it would do much good for the city economically. Seems like a move to 10-15 years ago to "well we can't do that, it costs money" and "we can't do that, this is Edmonton!". We've barely recovered from those mentalities as it is.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 3:36 PM

On a slightly different tack, does anybody know where the current annexation discussions are at? Is it stalled? Or is this question off-topic for this municipal politics thread?

Through history, I've been disappointed how little support and cooperation Edmonton has had at the provincial level regarding annexation, certainly versus how Calgary seems to move forward more clearly and with more purpose. Could just be my perception, though.

I just get the sense that there's more hinterland-hate from counties around Edmonton toward Edmonton than is the case for Calgary and its neighbours.

And riddle me how Sherwood Park continues to game the system, claiming to be a hamlet.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 3:44 PM
HVAC guru

Kris Andreychuk may have a chance in ward 7 but he's most widely known in the central area of the ward where he's helped clean up the neighourhoods, less known further out, so Tony is still a solid contender

God I hope Oshry is out. What a twat.

Mayor Iveson has been big on self promotion and ideological stances but I've seen very little else of substance from him. Overall I think his tenure has been a disappointment.

Up until recently This council has done a terrible job of holding some rogue city departments accountable, and then only really did something when the mismanagement and incompetence became too great to ignore. A little too little too late though. This mismanagement in this city is absolutely astounding

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
Well that's a way to look at things I guess I'm certainly not convinced nickel's approach is at all progressive, or that it would do much good for the city economically. Seems like a move to 10-15 years ago to "well we can't do that, it costs money" and "we can't do that, this is Edmonton!". We've barely recovered from those mentalities as it is.
I am not a Nickle fan - I was suggesting he has been progressive as a promoter on some issues. I don't want spend thrifts....just people that are pro growth, pro economic and infrastructure development, pro jobs, pro Edmonton and don't look at Council or Mayor's chair as a source of employment, perks and free tix to chow downs.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 4:55 AM
Urbis Maximus

I guess I should have added a disclaimer in my post where I referred to Councillors that are 'Likely out' meaning they are not running again. Maybe as in not sure if they are out or planning to seek re-election.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 1:21 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
The fence on the HLB is the perfect example of how terrible most of the current group is. nobody can say no to social issues no matter how silly they are.

We should be extremely concerned Edmonton is heading down the path of Vancouver or Toronto. We're slowing going to make it unaffordable to own a house because of some misplaced guilt when it comes to the lifestyle we currently enjoy....but at least it will make a nice post card
The HLB was a long time coming, this Council or not.

We need a better balance (which we currently do not have), but also HAVE to change how we develop, where we develop and why we develop.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 1:32 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Coun. Scott McKeen, whose Ward 6 encompasses the downtown, says he hasn't made up his mind about whether he'll support the proposal.

Jesus Christ Mckeen.......

I just dont know how this guy thinks sometimes.
On a related note, can anyone tell me when campaigning begins? Because I'd be very open to voting for someone running against McKeen.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
On a related note, can anyone tell me when campaigning begins? Because I'd be very open to voting for someone running against McKeen.

Some say a few Councillors are beginning already.

Colonel Sanders to me seems confused most of the time. The sitting on the fence on big issues bugs me. But I guess what bugs me most about him is when he speaks it takes him forever to get to the bloody point!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton