HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 6:14 PM
クラブトクヨ

Is the power station going to remain? Seems weird, and I wouldn't want a view of that.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 6:40 PM

The substation is going to stay,but they are putting up a wall to hide it from street level. the surrounding towers, however will still have an unobstructed view of it.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 7:35 PM

Honestly, we should eventually explore doing something like Roosevelt Park in Anaheim:
http://anaheim.net/DocumentCenter/Home/View/2356

It cost a little over $20M, but the substation is underground and there's a nice park on top. Alternatively, I bet a highrise building could be built with the substation housed underground. Either would be a nicer solution, in my opinion.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 7:40 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherKevin View Post
This would be a neat location for a park. You could have a plaza on that southwest corner nearest the library and Seaholm. Man, too bad Seaholm wasn't a public market like we wanted. You could have had a great public meeting place there. The market conjoined with the library by a plaza and park, and maybe with a connection to the Shoal Creek Trail.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
This would be a neat location for a park. You could have a plaza on that southwest corner nearest the library and Seaholm. Man, too bad Seaholm wasn't a public market like we wanted. You could have had a great public meeting place there. The market conjoined with the library by a plaza and park, and maybe with a connection to the Shoal Creek Trail.
Maybe this sort of thing can still eventually happen.

That project in Anaheim that I posted also involved moving all the transmission lines in/out of the substation underground. That would also be fantastic, but I guess it's not as practical in the grand scheme of things.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 12:15 AM
World Traveler

That would be a fantastic location for a park. I don't see that happening in the near future (if ever), but I would be in full support of it if it ever became a serious option.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 1:27 AM

I think it will eventually be relocated, but not until the transportation issues and airport expansions are resolved. Yes, this is an extremely obvious safe prediction. Also when the value of that parcel skyrockets due to lack of places to build downtown and the procedes of the sale to a developer can be applied to help pay for the relocation expenses. If my scenario is correct, we'll never see a park there. But I wonder if Austin Energy sold to a private company with the contingency that they move the substation at their expense then maybe that land can be converted to a park and home to an observation tower. Or, turn the deactivated power lines into zip lines.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 8:10 AM
De Lurk Squad

Chill water and power are necessary to keep all these new buildings operating. After all the water plant and power plant were decommissioned and redeveloped. So 2 blocks with utility use in the downtown area is not much of a sacrifice compared to the development gained.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin