HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 2:48 AM

^My only response is just like the CTA doesn't pay attention to Chicago's heavy rail subway/elevated train network and how the Blue line constantly caught fire the other year, endangering a lot of people? Mistakes happen, it doesn't mean the transit agency isn't addressing the concerns. It also doesn't make public transport unsafe, its still safer than driving and the chance of crashing.

Memphis has a very nice, usable downtown rail circulator that is not just a toy. It does serve its purpose well.

I'll end by saying what you're frustrated with is typical American development. I'll repeat: you can only get a truly urban lifestyle in a handful of cities in America. And those environments are usually out of touch (price wise) for the vast majority of its citizens. This is a frustration we likely agree with. Our difference is that I don't focus on Memphis being unique with a lack of urban development, because its much larger than one city. Its a culture and lifestyle promoted and controlled by much larger powers.

I wished we could find a way to build affordable, clean, modern urban housing for all. Not just for the privileged. Cities should be livable to the wage earner making $12/hr, not just for the professional with a $60,000 income (or above). There are many deeper discussions to be had on this topic. Europe is dotted with tons of cities that aren't London or Paris with prices that are amazingly affordable for well served, true transit orientation and urban form. We simply don't have that here in America, our urban form is usually a playground for wealthier classes or the poor. I've never said I have answers, but I do have questions about why we don't have affordable urban housing.

At the moment - since the Memphis market isn't overheated - one perk about Memphis is that many of the urban condos being sold are within a much fairer price than the American average. Price per square foot, those new condos on South Main are very, very attractive. I'm just afraid if Memphis becomes even slightly more popular that the prices will become exorbitant like all cities in America have become when the housing stock is already minimal in number to begin with.

Last edited by Dr Nevergold; Oct 23, 2014 at 5:40 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 2:58 AM

Regarding Memphis population downtown, which does relate to the Bass Pro shops potential for local shoppers, there are three downtown zip codes that are generally to the south of I-40, west of 240, and north of where I-55 crosses/EH Crump blvd. These zips are listed below:

38103: 12,180
38105: 6,184
38126: 7,334
TOTAL: 25,698

Source: US Census 2010
http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/...es/index.xhtml

Its not exactly 30,000; however, at over 25,698 the immediate downtown area has a decent population count.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 10:15 PM

It's a fantastic location for a Bass Pro aesthetics aside. I'll tell you why.

It's on "THE RIVER." There will certainly be a BASS tourney hosted there. I don't think you guys have a clue how many duck hunters cross that river to hunt in Arkansas. I am surrounded by folks from all over the US that lease duck hunting land adjacent to our land in Poinsett Co. Arkansas. We have a constant fight to keep them off our place because we hunt irregularly and it acts as an unintended refuge for hunt pressured fowl.
It's a better use than a church. I would have loved that indoor theme park but I think Mud Island should be Kemah'd in some fashion instead. So, There was you alternatives in a nutshell.

This will certainly be a marque store and second in statue to the flagship Springfield store and not the formula store other markets are getting.

Mr Bass Pro is building up his little resort near Branson rather impressively and I think he has even bigger plans for it. Here's the recently reopened Par 3 course he took half a decade to redo after he bought it.

And lastly part of the Ozark Natural History Museum portion of Top of the Rock

Heck, I can see him starting an Air Service from Dewitt Spain to what's basically his own themed air terminal that's Branson's little commercial airport

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 1:02 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Any Bass Pro updates that are related to Memphis?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 3:05 AM

It may be the best location, who knows? I'm not into hunting or any of that kind of stuff, so I can't comment, just that I know downtown residents aren't going to be the target audience for that culture.

If it works, I'm happy for the city as the pyramid needs to have purpose and should never be torn down. Its a structure that will indefinitely if they keep it up. But if it becomes another business subsidized that leaves within 5 or 10 years and vacates the property, it will be a real waste.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Nevergold View Post
It may be the best location, who knows? I'm not into hunting or any of that kind of stuff, so I can't comment, just that I know downtown residents aren't going to be the target audience for that culture.

If it works, I'm happy for the city as the pyramid needs to have purpose and should never be torn down. Its a structure that will indefinitely if they keep it up. But if it becomes another business subsidized that leaves within 5 or 10 years and vacates the property, it will be a real waste.
Downtown isn't just about folks downtown besides I know hunters that work all over downtown and live in places like Harbor Town.

Show me one Bass Pro that closed up shop in 5 years. Hell, it was one of the only successfully things that went into Festival Bay in Orlando that store hasn't closed nor does it plan to. It's kinda like the nonsensical Walmart hate you see in some areas. Companies only take advantage of what's presented to them and that's not their fault but they will located without the handouts as well cause I've seen a Cabelas go up here in NWA with very little in the way of incentives and I've the hoops Walmart is jumping through to enter urban markets.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 7:08 PM

^I don't think its mindless hate, Bass Pro Shops received generous corporate welfare on this project. It is healthy to look at a business deal of this nature with skepticism. If it was a good market decision they'd be paying for it by themselves. If it isn't sustainable without tax dollars, then we'll find out soon enough.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
^I don't think its mindless hate, Bass Pro Shops received generous corporate welfare on this project. It is healthy to look at a business deal of this nature with skepticism. If it was a good market decision they'd be paying for it by themselves. If it isn't sustainable without tax dollars, then we'll find out soon enough.
190 million, again 190 million. That's significant risk there, why not get every bit of help you can. Other's weren't knocking on the door, You better believe that the Ericson Group's pitched theme park would have wanted the world in handouts as well if it's financial backers weren't so shady and to be taken seriously.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 12:34 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
190 million, again 190 million. That's significant risk there, why not get every bit of help you can. Other's weren't knocking on the door, You better believe that the Ericson Group's pitched theme park would have wanted the world in handouts as well if it's financial backers weren't so shady and to be taken seriously.
That's true. As much as the theme park idea is cool, it's far less sustainable than Bass Pro being there. As of right now I'm more concerned with how much Bass Pro in the Pyramid will boost downtown. It's going to be pretty easy for folks visiting downtown for just Bass Pro to stop at the Pyramid and not venture other places into downtown.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
That's true. As much as the theme park idea is cool, it's far less sustainable than Bass Pro being there. As of right now I'm more concerned with how much Bass Pro in the Pyramid will boost downtown. It's going to be pretty easy for folks visiting downtown for just Bass Pro to stop at the Pyramid and not venture other places into downtown.
It is up to the city to add compelling entities to compliment it and to develop the Pinch in that manner. Name me something close the Pyramid/Bass Pro. Like within eyeshot. It's why I harp on a Kemah Boardwalk type development and or a waterpark. Bass Pro will pull folks off the road and there's that tempting family eye candy just on the other side. Even if they skip it the first time, it's left that seed for the next time through. I'm encouraged that Memphis is pushing for a Hard Rock Hotel. It shows me some of that "go out and get it" attitude Memphis needs.

I know this is the pyramid specific thread but I can't help myself

Pursue that R&B and Soul museum but also push HARD for a satellite campus of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Pursue a entertainment district type development for the Island, keep and enhance the three pillars that are there, the River Museum, The Riverwalk and the Amp. A glaring omission in today's entertainment world is suites for the venue. Clapton once again proved it's a viable venue and attractive alternative for shows outside of the FedEx Forum. I've already got tickets to Mellencamp's concert at the Orpheum for next summer. I look to hit Memphis up for concerts. Envision a Margaretville Hotel down on the Gulf connected by that talked about land bridge for connectivity. Look up the new Margaretville Hotel in Pigeon Forge.

Pursue a Hotel/indoor Waterpark Resort, Think Great Wolf Lodge. That place gets 400 bucks a room in Dallas for the week between Christmas and NYE. It's insane how popular those places are at certain times of the year.

Fight and claw for a Merlin type of entertainment combo. In that same vein, SeaWorld Corp was looking for potential places to develop smaller attractions outside of their 6 major parks, They own the rights to Sesame St. too. A full fledged Aquarium and Sesame Place combo like Merlin's Sealife and Lego combos or Madame Tussaurd's and Dungeon combos

Where's the damn House of Blues? I envision a place like this that incorporates the New Daisy as it's main venue. Before you poo poo that, Greenville NC is getting a HOB affiliated venue so I don't want to hear market size.

Consider a giant wheel addition to Beale St. Landing.

I've always said that Memphis needs to strive for that weekend getaway for the family niche. I know folks that go spend a weekend at Gaylord's in Nashville, those folks can come west too you know.

Rant over, I'm done.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 12:35 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
It is up to the city to add compelling entities to compliment it and to develop the Pinch in that manner. Name me something close the Pyramid/Bass Pro. Like within eyeshot.
You and I both know how well that works...

Just for clarification I wasn't proposing that Bass Pro themselves redevelop the Pinch, I was mainly referring to the bandwagon effect from other developers proposing retail/mixed use/whatever in the direct vicinity to target visitors to Bass Pro. They might all be playing the waiting game to see the how many people are spending more than 2 or 3 hours in the Pyramid; but I honestly think the market will be there.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
There's no proof a Bass Pro Shops location is going to be more economically successful than another type of development. Its just a crap shoot, honestly.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
There's no proof a Bass Pro Shops location is going to be more economically successful than another type of development. Its just a crap shoot, honestly.
You sound like Bass Pro isn't familiar with Memphis. Memphis has a Bass Pro, it's out on Sycamore View. It's a stripped down, plain jane version in an old WalMart compared to even the most basic new formula store like the one in Little Rock and from what I here, does very well on basically local traffic. Bass Pro has the books and market data at their disposal, it understands what they think it will do with all the other stuff it has. It's a safe assumption that it's going to do well. Like I said, this is more like the Springfield store than anything else and the Springfield store is insanely busy on weekends.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
You and I both know how well that works...

Just for clarification I wasn't proposing that Bass Pro themselves redevelop the Pinch, I was mainly referring to the bandwagon effect from other developers proposing retail/mixed use/whatever in the direct vicinity to target visitors to Bass Pro. They might all be playing the waiting game to see the how many people are spending more than 2 or 3 hours in the Pyramid; but I honestly think the market will be there.
The Pinch screams a few nationally branded restaurants like a (yeah, I know the food is mediocre like most all these restaurants are) Toby Kieth's I blah blah blah this Place, Dave and Busters and so on. Not going to lie, they should court the company that runs the Pappas Restaurant chains in Texas, They are good. Considering it's location on a major east/west corridor, an American Girl storefront in an upscale smaller sized open air outlet center with an old, authenic feel to it about a 1/4 to 1/3 of the size as Oprymills.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 12:41 AM

I don't think there's enough evidence to say that Bass Pro will be significantly more successful than other business ventures, there's just no proof at all that's the case. But with this having been said, it has nothing to do with the fact that they've won the contract, they're building what they're building, and its opening relatively soon.

Moot points really. I wish it well, because if it doesn't go well it'll be a taxpayer financed failure.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 4:10 PM

Pyramid Update #3 - December 30, 2014

Figured I would take one more look at the progress on the Pyramid to round out 2014.

They've got some lights in the new median with moose in them:

Looks like they are preparing for the sign to go up:

Work continuing at the top:

View of the entire project down Bass Pro Drive:

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 3:12 AM

Signage really coming together on the Pyramid!

(Photo from The Commercial Appeal)

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 8:03 PM

Been a while...so here goes nothing!

Pyramid Update #4 - March 15, 2015

I first stopped in at the Tennessee Welcome Center and snapped a few shots...the signage is really coming together. The Ducks Unlimited sign is fully assembled and the Bass Pro Shops sign was in the process of being put up.

I then went over and parked in the Pinch District (which was pretty active with people walking around).

I walked around to the south side of the Pyramid (where the sign is being assembled) and I noticed part of the sign on the ground.

As I'm snapping pics, the "S" starts to go up...they're installing it! I took a lot more photos than what is shown here...the rest are on my Flickr.

And a video to round it all out (taken as I was snapping pictures):
Video Link

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 9:16 PM

Few updates if anyone is keeping up

Opening date is officially set - April 29, 2015 at 6pm

A few recent pics from around the web:

https://twitter.com/local24jamie/sta...51014844231680

From the interstate:

https://twitter.com/JamieDavidson80/...00997773631488

Angle showing how they have added more glass at the top to make a larger "capstone"...look back at older photos and you can see the difference

https://twitter.com/sp4cecat/status/585239091085582336

Interior shots

http://wreg.com/2015/04/01/bass-pro-...date-moved-up/

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 4:43 PM

Sign was fully lit on Friday night, as seen on Bass Pro at the Pyramid's Facebook page:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development