HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 7:35 PM

Demolition permits were issued for the existing buildings due to be replaced by the Pearl Hampton Inn & Suites:

Quote:
Demo existing 2 story building

Demo two story building; no basement

Demo existing 3 story building with partial basement

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 2:12 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Demolition permits were issued for the existing buildings due to be replaced by the Pearl Hampton Inn & Suites:
Where is this hotel going?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 2:38 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Where is this hotel going?
That's the 3/4 block hotel going in at the NE corner of 9th and Everett.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 8:42 PM

Request for Response [PDF] for the Premier Press redevelopment by Holst.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Aug 20, 2015 at 7:58 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 8:44 PM

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 1:35 AM

The Abigail

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 12:34 AM

Website for 1440 Hoyt (Premier Press) went live: http://1440hoyt.com/

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Exclusive: Longtime Pearl District developer prepping historic building for new creative office and retail space

One of the Pearl District's original visionaries is still shaping the swanky urban neighborhood, this time with a complete renovation of one of the area's last buildings available for adaptive reuse.

Hoyt Building Investors, under managing partner Al Solheim, is completely renovating the two-story Stagecraft Building at 1302 N.W. Kearney St. The 28,000-square-foot, circa 1890 building will be remade into the Pearl's latest creative office and retail space.

“Our goal is to preserve the property and keep its historic roots alive,” Solheim said. “Stagecraft is one of the last available buildings in the Pearl suitable for adaptive reuse. We like these classic buildings and feel a strong commitment to preserve a part of the history and character of old Portland.”
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 10:40 PM

A few drive-by shots of the Cosmo and NV, etc. from the Fremont Bridge a few days ago:

IMG_2035 by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

IMG_2034 by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

IMG_2038 by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

IMG_2036 by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 11:12 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

The northern Pearl sure is filling in nicely.

Every time I see the stripes on The Encore, I think of Donkey Kong and expect to see a damsel on the roof. Sadly, there isn't one. Then again, I guess it's good that there isn't a giant ape up there launching barrels down toward the street...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Every time I see the stripes on The Encore, I think of Donkey Kong and expect to see a damsel on the roof. Sadly, there isn't one. Then again, I guess it's good that there isn't a giant ape up there launching barrels down toward the street...
Ya know, I've never seen that when I looked at the Encore before, but now I will every time. Thanks.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 6:51 PM

Pearl District warehouse gets 4 new floors of Class A office space
Sep 14, 2015, 11:01am PDT
Jon Bell
Staff Reporter
Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...T&t=1442255540

Quote:
The latest office space to rise in Portland will do so from atop a former printing business warehouse in the Pearl District.

Meriwether Partners LLC, a real estate investment firm with offices in Portland and Seattle, bought the former home of Premier Press at the corner of Northwest Hoyt and 14th in the Pearl District last year and plans an extensive renovation.

The project will include not only a renovation, but the addition of four new floors of office space. When it's completed, likely in the third quarter of 2016, the 1440 N.W. Hoyt St. spot will offer 75,000 square feet of creative Class A office space.

“We were attracted to the urban location and the opportunity to preserve the character of the existing building,” said Robert Briscoe, principal of Meriwether Partners, in a release.

Each additional floor of the building will feature an open floor plan with 13-foot ceilings and nine-foot windows with operable bays. The top floor will be an executive penthouse with two outdoor roof decks, one facing toward the West Hills and another to the east with views of Mount Hood.

The property will also feature exposed wood, concrete and steel, abundant natural light, a comprehensive seismic upgrade to code, new building mechanical systems and new restrooms and common areas with shower and bike parking.

Premier Press sold the building last year and moved its business Swan Island. No sales price is listed on the city's property records page, but the building had a market value of $1.8 million in 2014.

(continues)...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Former Pearl District warehouse to become office building after 4-story addition

A former warehouse in the Pearl District will transform into an office building after a developer adds four stories and renovates the space.

The property – the former location of printing company Premier Press, which has since moved to Swan Island – is at 1440 N.W. Hoyt St., at the intersection with Northwest 14th Avenue. Meriwether Partners LLC bought the site last year, according to a press release, and plans to add 75,000 square feet of "creative Class A office space."

"Class A" space is typically priced at the top end of the market and competes for users looking for higher-quality offices.

"We were attracted to the urban location and the opportunity to preserve the character of the existing building," said Robert Briscoe, principal at Meriwether Partners, in the release.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 7:10 PM
A before E

This is awesome news, I hope we end up seeing more of this type of construction throughout Portland and the metro.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 5:23 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

All of the projects mentioned in these pages are complete. Many where u/c years ago as this thread dates from 2007. Here are some of the complete as examples:

===================================

Complete

Waterfront Pearl

Quote:
1100 - 1310 NW Naito Pkwy
Waterfront Pearl offers dockside living on Portland’s Willamette River. The project consists of two 10-story towers -- Mistral, the north tower and Azure, the south tower. Both towers have dramatic river, mountain and pearl district views.

Units feature hardwood floors, high-quality wool carpeting in bedrooms, natural gas fireplaces, European kitchens with quartz countertops and designer lighting. Building amenities include concierge service, extensive landscaping, guest suite in each building, steam room and fitness center with high quality cardio and resistance training equipment, conference room and bike storage.
Complete

1260 NW

Complete

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 3:26 AM

Staff Report and Recommendation for 1440 Hoyt [PDF], which does not yet recommend approval based on technical issues around loading dock and transformer locations.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
You know most buildings that are below 5 stories are all wood frame buildings....so not sure what your issue would be with this one.
Yes, and noise insulation in those types buildings is generally significantly worse. This is in fact exactly why I raised the question.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Yes, and noise insulation in those types buildings is generally significantly worse. This is in fact exactly why I raised the question.
It often is... but that is mostly driven by cost of construction rather than the inherent capabilities of wood. The owner decides what level of performance they are willing to pay for, based on what they feel the project can afford.

You can do better acoustic isolation (with specific wall and floor assemblies) in wood than what is typical, but it costs more and developers/owners of rental properties are most often not willing to pay for that, because they are building out of wood to stay affordable.

Architects always provide the owner their recommended options to mitigate acoustic transfer based on both past experience and what the project's acoustical engineering consultant determines after reviewing the drawings.

Cross-Lam timber construction turns this on its head. It is NOT cheap, and it is completely different acoustically. A far more 'resolute' construction method. I'm excited to see how economically viable the method is, here. If it slots in below concrete and above stick frame, you'll see it take off if the jurisdictions it's proposed in, allow it.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
This is nas-ass-asty. And that's how Graves designed it to face a park?!?!?!??

Have you ever heard the story about why it looks like this?

It's a pretty good one.

Graves fought the powers that be, to put the pedestrian entry on the park with a nice double height space, similar to what is on the bus mall side facing west... but nicer. He wanted to acknowledge the park and its importance.

But, at that time the bus mall was the idea of the day, and the city was hell bent on putting the main pedestrian entry (and circulation) where the buses would go, to promote mass transit/ TriMet. Those in charge from the city, insisted that the auto entry was on 4th. So, as a bit of thumb to nose at them, he did the double height entry facing the park and put the car entrance and all the utility that goes with it on that side (It has to go somewhere). They were happy.

I was told that about 20 years ago by someone who would know.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 6:01 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

BrG: Ahhhh... I get it now, though obviously that was a poor decision. It's a perfect example of how downtown has changed through the years. It's amazing how much the bus mall changed once they put MAX on it. Come to think of it, it's not even called the bus mall anymore. Technically, it's the Transit Mall now, but I don't think most people use the term.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland