HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
For more fast cars like mine that also do 0-60 in 7 seconds.....
Quoted for hilarity.

A guy with a 7 second car proclaiming it as fast?

Ahem:

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid 0-60 mph 6.9 Quarter Mile 15.3
2006 Honda Accord EX (V6) 0-60 mph 5.8 Quarter mile 14.3
2006 Honda Civic 0-60 mph 7.1 Quarter Mile 15.4
2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite 0-60 mph 7.3 Quarter Mile 15.6
2005 Toyota 4 Runner 0-60 mph 7.1 Quarter mile 15.5
2007 Toyota Camry SE 0-60 mph 6.0 Quarter Mile 14.4
2012 Toyota Camry SE (V6) 0-60 mph 5.7 Quarter Mile 14.1
2009 Toyota RAV4 Sport AWD (V6) 0-60 mph 6.3 Quarter Mile 14.6
2011 Toyota Sienna SE 0-60 mph 7.0 Quarter Mile 15.2

It must suck getting dusted by Accords and Rav-4s in your "fast" car...

At least you will keep up with the minivans?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 10:46 PM
Here and There

lol, I love my 2005 325. I have nothing to prove and bought this car because it checked out VERY well for the pre-purchase inspection, and yes it is fast to me. I really dont car if a car has "dusted me."

Wow, the douchebaggery is out of control lately on this site.

My main vehicle is still my bike, the train and Car2go.

I have a Kona bike, do you want to make fun of that too?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 11:07 PM
power to the people!

Can't really call people that name when you're the one driving the fast BMW.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
Quoted for hilarity.

A guy with a 7 second car proclaiming it as fast?

Ahem:

It must suck getting dusted by Accords and Rav-4s in your "fast" car...

At least you will keep up with the minivans?
Generally speaking, I'd call anything that does 0-60 under 7 seconds pretty quick. Saying "fast cars like mine" sounds douchy and implies that a sub-7 second time is special, which it's not. But it is "fast"... Accelerating at that rate will give you a nice push back in the seat and can really get you into trouble. Now that minivans and SUVs are doing it's become commonplace, but that doesn't mean it's not quick...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 1:16 AM
not a NIMBY

I ride a Kona! We should start a bicycle thread...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
My versa seems to have fared ok, a few minor dents but nothing compared to the existing ones from the storm in 2010 that gave it quite a beating. My wife's Matrix seems to have escaped any damage too.
Versa's appear to be pretty tough. My girlfriend's Versa was parked infront of my place and received the brunt of hail and whilst it did get dented, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I on the other hand, decided to leave the safety and comfort to take some lightning photos and got caught in only the beginning of the storm and received some nasty dents in a very short period of time.

The Car2Go that I left across the street a few days ago seemed to have escaped relatively unharmed. Side note, anyone know when the Car2Go come and get their cars? I left this one on my street Friday night and it hasn't moved.

Here's the crappy photo that I took just before the storm hit. Needless to say, it wasn't worth the damage.

YYC Lightning by D-2-C, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 2:10 PM

Does Car2go come get the car, or do they leave it there for the next person that wants to use it?

Your speed3 god damaged? that sucks man.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 2:31 PM

Quote:
lol, I love my 2005 325. I have nothing to prove and bought this car because it checked out VERY well for the pre-purchase inspection, and yes it is fast to me. I really dont car if a car has "dusted me."

Wow, the douchebaggery is out of control lately on this site.

My main vehicle is still my bike, the train and Car2go.

I have a Kona bike, do you want to make fun of that too?
I don't really find my post all that "douchey" when all I did was respond to someone bragging about "fast cars like mine".

Konas are pretty cool, I'm sure it's a lot better than the 13 year old Schwinn I'm commuting on, but I can't complain, as beat as my bike is it still gets me to work every day year round.

In fact, I'll be using Car2Go at lunch to run up to Princess Auto to grab a ball joint separator for my fiance's 325xit. Great car, but I think she used to park in a salt puddle or something because the corrosion in her suspension is killing me. Way more than my friends BMW that is only one year newer than hers.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 3:04 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Well if anyone wants to buy an Audi, I just read in the Herald that all of the 85 cars on their lot have been damaged. I imagine that there will be some sort of "Hail Sale" in the near future.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 4:06 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Does Car2go come get the car, or do they leave it there for the next person that wants to use it?

I suspect they only retrieve the cars when a) they need cleaning b) too many are piling up in one area. c) one is low on fuel and has become the one no one wants to rent.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 4:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Well if anyone wants to buy an Audi, I just read in the Herald that all of the 85 cars on their lot have been damaged. I imagine that there will be some sort of "Hail Sale" in the near future.
Hail sales are generally not worth it, as people underestimate what it really costs to fix things properly (see my post about my 2010 hail damage experience). Even if they do discount appropriately, after getting things all fixed, you're even but have a car with a lot of bodywork. Over a period of years, some bodywork can come back and bite you. Additionally, re-sale can be difficult whether you have visible hail damage (some won't touch it) or fixed hail damage (others won't touch it).

The best way to buy a car from a dealer is to have the ability to purchase it outright. If you can do that, you'd be amazed what types of deals you can get. I sold my prior vehicle, which I had purchased brand new (no financing), for only $5,500 less than the all in price I had paid after having driven for 32 months and put on 39,000km. To put it in perspective, it is like getting a 32 month lease with zero down for a brand new vehicle (SUV AWD) for $170/mth.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 4:35 PM

Quote:
It's pretty crazy how fast even basic cars have become. I remember not that long ago when it was Ferrari's who were in the 5-6 second range, and now they are being equalled by minivans and sedans. My so-called sportscar technically does a 5.3 0-60mph, but I'm sure on a good day a Camry could beat it. Just imagine if they weren't the fat pigs they are, they might even be fun to drive.

I think these days, the feeling a car gives you is more important than how fast it goes. BMW's to me have lost their magic. They're bigger and softer, and people seem to be more worried about their interiors than how they drive. Give me a 90s 3-series with basic cloth seats and a stick, and I'd be way happier than some loaded e90 porker.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 4:53 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
It's pretty crazy how fast even basic cars have become. I remember not that long ago when it was Ferrari's who were in the 5-6 second range, and now they are being equalled by minivans and sedans. My so-called sportscar technically does a 5.3 0-60mph, but I'm sure on a good day a Camry could beat it. Just imagine if they weren't the fat pigs they are, they might even be fun to drive.

I think these days, the feeling a car gives you is more important than how fast it goes. BMW's to me have lost their magic. They're bigger and softer, and people seem to be more worried about their interiors than how they drive. Give me a 90s 3-series with basic cloth seats and a stick, and I'd be way happier than some loaded e90 porker.
I'm with you on this, my '03 Protege5 keeps a smile on my face at regular highway speeds, and likes to be pushed into the corners plus has the utility of a small SUV. Brought a chaise lounge from IKEA home in it once, regularly put a mountain bike (40+ lbs) on the hitch rack and gear inside and she flies still. I've had 3 men (~200lb average), riding gear and 2 bikes (~40 lbs each) on the rack on a trip to BC with no acceleration problems easy 130-140 uphill in the mountains and still got 8l/100km! (this with a 2l engine)

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
I'm with you on this, my '03 Protege5 keeps a smile on my face at regular highway speeds, and likes to be pushed into the corners plus has the utility of a small SUV. Brought a chaise lounge from IKEA home in it once, regularly put a mountain bike (40+ lbs) on the hitch rack and gear inside and she flies still. I've had 3 men (~200lb average), riding gear and 2 bikes (~40 lbs each) on the rack on a trip to BC with no acceleration problems easy 130-140 uphill in the mountains and still got 8l/100km! (this with a 2l engine)
We have that car as well, and it's extremely fun to drive. It's like a giant go-cart that you can just cane the crap out of. Too bad about the rust though.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 5:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Agree that the flag poles have been moved recently. I'd consider 0-60MPH times of 5.5s or less to be fast for a car and 6.5s or less to be fast for an SUV. To complement that, people must also consider passing acceleration and skid-pad g-force. Some of the newer econo-speedsters are simply set for 0-60MPH and don't have what it takes in the other categories that are more relevant to regular driving.

Regarding BMWs, I do admire my neighbour's 2011 M3 and my friends 2011 550 is also quite something. I'm not in that category, but still admire.

Last edited by suburbia; Aug 14, 2012 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 6:28 PM
Here and There

Quote:
I don't really find my post all that "douchey" when all I did was respond to someone bragging about "fast cars like mine".

Konas are pretty cool, I'm sure it's a lot better than the 13 year old Schwinn I'm commuting on, but I can't complain, as beat as my bike is it still gets me to work every day year round.

In fact, I'll be using Car2Go at lunch to run up to Princess Auto to grab a ball joint separator for my fiance's 325xit. Great car, but I think she used to park in a salt puddle or something because the corrosion in her suspension is killing me. Way more than my friends BMW that is only one year newer than hers.
Im not bragging. Its a freakin 325! Not much to it, but it is fast in all gears, especially on the highway. Fast off the line as well (to me). Im sure I will waste money on a faster car one day. But, for now Im enjoying the fact that the car is completely paid for. Im happy to drive this thing and it is great to look at.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 6:45 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
We have that car as well, and it's extremely fun to drive. It's like a giant go-cart that you can just cane the crap out of. Too bad about the rust though.
yeah, the rust is a bit of a problem, indoor parking seems to have staved mine off for a while :knocks on wood:

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post

Looks like they leave it, but I'm sure there's a cutoff point where they will eventually relocate it to a busier location. Went home at lunch and noticed it was gone. I'm trying to get work to let me expense them as it's way cheaper than paying for parking.

My speed3 got a few nice size dents. All on the roof, so it should be fixable, it's a bit of a drag, but oh well. It could be worse, I think some friends of mine were involved in that house fire this morning. That kind of puts everything in perspective for me.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Looks like they leave it, but I'm sure there's a cutoff point where they will eventually relocate it to a busier location. Went home at lunch and noticed it was gone. I'm trying to get work to let me expense them as it's way cheaper than paying for parking.
Shortly after the Car 2 Go roll out, there were a few cars that were left around the Marda Loop area for quite a while. There was one car on 20th street that was in the same place for at least 8 days... I'm pretty sure they just leave them until someone else comes along.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Im not bragging. Its a freakin 325! Not much to it, but it is fast in all gears, especially on the highway. Fast off the line as well (to me). Im sure I will waste money on a faster car one day. But, for now Im enjoying the fact that the car is completely paid for. Im happy to drive this thing and it is great to look at.
Having driven several properly fast cars over the years (Audi R8 V10 being the fastest), I can safely say... I wouldn't really want one as a daily driver. Not because they're unwieldy or anything, but because they're extremely anti-climactic. I like to put a car through its paces, hear the engine roaring at full tilt... that sort of thing. A really fast car gets you up to highly illegal speeds so damn quickly that, unless you really don't care if you get fifty speeding tickets per millisecond, you're constantly holding back. When I drove that R8 V10, I'd basically put my foot down, take in that glorious V10 spinning at over 8000rpm... and within 3 seconds I was doing something that could lose me my license.

My GTI is roughly in my personal sweet spot. It's fast enough that I never find its power lacking. Passing on the highway is completely effortless. But, it's not so fast that I can put it through its paces without doing something too illegal. I'd wager your 325i feels pretty similar overall, even if it is a tad slower in a straight line.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation