HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 5:03 AM

Jackrabbits are Clara's FAVOURITE thing in the world!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 6:37 PM
So very tired...

Great Post, great shots, thanks! You were obviously able to get a lot closer than I ever have for a photo.

Here in Edmonton they are crawling all over the place. I see one every other day or so from my front porch. I agree they do seem smart, while I see them all over the place, I have never seen one splatted on the road.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 5:44 AM
Hare Expert

I must remind you all, if you enjoy having them visit and eat your backyard, crack open any gates you have a bit because the snow sometimes blocks the gap underneath so they can't squeeze through. Apparently they don't like digging.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 2:29 AM
not a NIMBY

my local hare couple is loving the partially green lawn!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 2:56 AM
I'm the bear on the right

Great pics, Vascilli. At my now former workplace in the NE, there were many jackrabbits running around the grounds. There were many times that they startled me and vice-versa. One of them bolted 100m in a matter of seconds after seeing me once. The population did seem to fluctuate, but there were always some about.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 4:58 AM
Hare Expert

They are awfully fast, one ran past me at what must've been 50km/h, it was night and I didn't notice it besides the quiet patting of it's feet and a small object whizzing past. Their speed is very impressive, I'd love to see one do a real 100m run someday on a track. (How?)

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 5:17 AM
not a NIMBY

In my old neighbourhood there was a hare with a broken back leg that dangled behind but it could still hop quite fast. I saw it off and on for several months and then no more. Poor thing.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 6:43 AM
not a NIMBY

Fifth Avenue Hare

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 6:46 AM
Hare Expert

Hmmm, looks a bit young. How nice.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 7:16 AM
not a NIMBY

they both jumped away at the same time in opposite directions

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 7:44 AM

Couple I caught a few weeks back on the U of C campus:

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 3:15 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Edmonton is crawling with these... We have a neighbourhood hare that lives under neath our park sign a block away from my house... I always like urban wildlife if only that it makes our cities feel connected to the settings were in...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 5:01 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
Edmonton is crawling with these... We have a neighbourhood hare that lives under neath our park sign a block away from my house... I always like urban wildlife if only that it makes our cities feel connected to the settings were in...
our hares hop not crawl!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 10:37 PM
Hare Expert

Nice photos everyone.

They should be having their first batches of babies this month, expect to see them bouncing around loading up on food. They're usually a bit easier to approach as long as you don't startle them and stay quiet.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 6:59 AM
Hare Expert

Brief update, the hares should be turning brown, the ones in my neighbourhood are. Their stomachs and tails are always white. They're generally easier to see when they're brown.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 7:27 AM
Hare Expert

I have found out why it appears hares have bad depth perception, it turns out they actually do. It's because their eyes are on the sides of their heads. This does however mean they can see behind them, which is arguably more useful for an animal at the bottom of the food chain.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 5:08 PM
So very tired...

Edmonton Hare

Lot easier to get a decent pic with a telephoto. Happened across this guy at the UofA. He is wet from a short downpour.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 12:36 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
I have found out why it appears hares have bad depth perception, it turns out they actually do. It's because their eyes are on the sides of their heads. This does however mean they can see behind them, which is arguably more useful for an animal at the bottom of the food chain.
Yup. Most prey animals (deer being the classic case of this, certainly just about all grazers do) have eyes to the sides. Looking all around you for a predator is more valuable than looking straight ahead.

Predators (think dogs and humans) have eyes that face straight forward to track prey. In the case of our primate ancestors, it's arguable that things like fruit was our first prey, but the concept is the same.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 5:23 AM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
my local hare couple is loving the partially green lawn!
I've finally seen the first couple today, they were eating up the grass in my backyard. I decided to postpone my dinner and pay a visit. I guess they like their privacy, they left shortly after. Pictures tomorrow.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 2:28 AM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
I've finally seen the first couple today, they were eating up the grass in my backyard. I decided to postpone my dinner and pay a visit. I guess they like their privacy, they left shortly after. Pictures tomorrow.
Turns out I never got around to posting the pictures.

But...

My mom was putting some trash out on the deck and lo and behold, two fine hares munching on some grass. By the time I went to the basement to get my camera they were gone. My Vascilli-sense came upon me and I went to the front window, I look down and there's a smaller one directly below me, no more than six feet away and just outside the flower bed. I got some good shots, then he ran off for some reason. I decided to see where he was off to. Down the street I ran into him and another one on someone elses lawn, they decided to split. Not giving up, I see another one just a few houses down and yet one more a good twenty feet in front of me hidden in the shade. Eventually they went to the large field and the backyard, respectively. Pictures are coming soon, I just got back. (Dinner got cold )

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation