HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 9:45 PM
YIMBY

Community Associations

There seems to be a variety of approaches by different CA's to development. For those of you involved in them, what works, what doesn't?

How does a CA best go about getting the best possible development for the community?

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 10:38 PM

I am on mine but my first meeting concerning development is tomorrow. I am curios about this as well.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 11:38 PM
Majestic

Been involved with Beltline through Planning Group for over seven years now and more recently through Transportation committee. Unlike most other CA's, we look at development on a weekly rather than monthly basis.

As for what works and what doesn't... it's tricky. If you are meeting really late in the development process, chances are that whatever you have to say will have little traction, so getting in as close to pre-app as possible is important (and don't count on the City to circulate you on anything).

Also helps if you establish your CA as really active and wanting to help developers rather than trying to combat them.

Flickr

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 2:44 AM
BANNED

When in doubt, do the opposite of the Hillhurst-Sunnyside CA

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 6:26 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
Been involved with Beltline through Planning Group for over seven years now and more recently through Transportation committee. Unlike most other CA's, we look at development on a weekly rather than monthly basis.

As for what works and what doesn't... it's tricky. If you are meeting really late in the development process, chances are that whatever you have to say will have little traction, so getting in as close to pre-app as possible is important (and don't count on the City to circulate you on anything).

Also helps if you establish your CA as really active and wanting to help developers rather than trying to combat them.
How does the BPG go about getting the applicants engaged pre-app? And would one be able to do that with the single detached developers?

For us we usually have some level of engagement with the larger projects but we run into issues with the single detached and semi detached developers, a significant number of whom are one off developers. Is there a legal mechanism to help with this?

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 6:29 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
When in doubt, do the opposite of the Hillhurst-Sunnyside CA
At the end of the day HSCA has ended up with some stellar projects, but one has to wonder if it's despite the CA not because of them.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 6:37 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
How does the BPG go about getting the applicants engaged pre-app? And would one be able to do that with the single detached developers?

For us we usually have some level of engagement with the larger projects but we run into issues with the single detached and semi detached developers, a significant number of whom are one off developers.
The only way to really get them at pre-app is to ask them. Often there's little heads-up, unless there's a local architect or developer involved who knows us an wants to start talking at that stage. I have to say that it's not a regular occurrence to get them that early.

As for single or semi-detached dwellings... can't really say. We don't get those, unless you include the home occupancy conversion (in which case letters are written if there is a conflict with the ARP).

Flickr

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation