HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post
Hi Steelcowboy. I was hoping we could get a more informed opinion than mine but perhaps not at this point in time. The plans for the intermodal port were made taking AIM's lease contract into account so I am assuming that there were no plans made to take over that lot prior to the expiry of that contract which would have been somewhere in the range of another 18 or 19 years. That has all changed now so I am guessing we're looking at many options going forward.

Perhaps it will help in the expansion of intermodal past 800K, but that is dependent upon the international intermodal business environment which waxes and wanes on all kinds of events. Perhaps it could be a location for the potential cold storage facility. Everybody who knows anything about that isn't giving us any clues about it, except that it is being worked on.

My personal opinion is that DP World is at least investigating, or already has investigated the potential for their future needs. It would need to be dredged to accommodate larger ships. That may not be the preferred spot to do that. I can't give even an educated guess other than I am sure the port is looking at how to use that space most efficiently. DP World has a 30 year contract once the modernization of the port is complete. I am not sure of what that means in exact dates, but it does mean they know that it takes time to develop the business and they are in it for the long haul.

Nobody is giving us any hints right now. Whatever it becomes, it will be an important space in the future of the port.

As for other rail opportunities, CSX is planning on having fast trains through Maine this year. They opened their interchange with NBSR a few months ago and have had a significant uptick in business with NBSR even though their yard and connecting lines are not fully upgraded yet. And yes, they have clearance issues that only allow single stack intermodal at this point. They have stated that that situation will not change until they have completely gotten their New England trackage (former PanAm) up to their present standards. That is understandable, but many believe they will remedy that situation down the road.

NBSR looks like they are continuing to convert all their mainline track in NB and Maine to 115lb CWR. They are adding to their intermodal and other yard space in Saint John as well as doubling their track from the port to Ponderosa Yard. They are getting deliveries of more locomotives from Progress Rail.

All the rail companies are key partners to the business of the port and it is good to see them preparing for the future because it is not something that happens overnight. It takes years to rebuild an infrastructure that was neglected for decades.
Yes, it does seem exciting that with infrastructure improvements on all levels..rail and port, it is destined to grow. I did deliver the last 2 new NBSR SD70M-2 locomotives (6412 , 6413 and a few days ago GMTX 333 for use at the Courtnay Bay Potash facility. I hear NBSR 6416 is enroute, maybe it'll be delivered sometime this week..maybe on my assigned run down.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 3:39 PM

RoRo Cape Sable is on schedule. Don’t think it called on port before.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
RoRo Cape Sable is on schedule. Don’t think it called on port before.
It’s a Hapag container, brand new ship on CES service.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ harbour View Post
It’s a Hapag container, brand new ship on CES service.
Additional ship, or replacing another?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcowboy View Post
Yes, it does seem exciting that with infrastructure improvements on all levels..rail and port, it is destined to grow. I did deliver the last 2 new NBSR SD70M-2 locomotives (6412 , 6413 and a few days ago GMTX 333 for use at the Courtnay Bay Potash facility. I hear NBSR 6416 is enroute, maybe it'll be delivered sometime this week..maybe on my assigned run down.

Here's the video of you delivering 6412 sometime in January. I think you were acknowledging the photographer as you passed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns1BV1z7Lmg

I believe there was originally 18 ordered so a few more to come.

Here's 6416 on it's way on March 10 around Halton, Ont.

https://youtu.be/NFAZM3wqjrI

Last edited by Ottawa; Mar 18, 2024 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Additional ship, or replacing another?
According to the Hapag-Lloyd website it is replacing HSL Nike. So just a replacement

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 3:31 PM

Another one I don’t recognize on sched - MSC Aldebaran III

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Another one I don’t recognize on sched - MSC Aldebaran III
It's a replacement ship on the MSC Gulf Bridge. I'm not sure which ship it's replacing though

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post
Here's the video of you delivering 6412 sometime in January. I think you were acknowledging the photographer as you passed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns1BV1z7Lmg

I believe there was originally 18 ordered so a few more to come.

Here's 6416 on it's way on March 10 around Halton, Ont.

https://youtu.be/NFAZM3wqjrI

I saw 6416 and 6417 were delivered on Wednesdays train from Moncton, I snapped a few pics of the big green machines. I was off, i'm now on the Thursday to Saturday train to Saint John, on vacation though for 2 weeks starting next Monday.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 11:48 AM

Maybe it's a good thing that our harbour bridge isn't at the mouth of the harbour! Looks like the Port of Baltimore will be closed indefinitely if the bridge location is where it appears to be (Three major container terminals on the inland side of the bridge). I wonder if it was a steering failure or operator error? Either way, pretty major container ship by the look of it. https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/details/9697428

edit Updates say the ships light flickered, went out and then came back on just before it hit.....loss of power to steering?

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/bal...hnk/index.html

Last edited by sailor734; Mar 26, 2024 at 12:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Maybe it's a good thing that our harbour bridge isn't at the mouth of the harbour! Looks like the Port of Baltimore will be closed indefinitely if the bridge location is where it appears to be (Three major container terminals on the inland side of the bridge). I wonder if it was a steering failure or operator error? Either way, pretty major container ship by the look of it. https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/details/9697428

edit Updates say the ships light flickered, went out and then came back on just before it hit.....loss of power to steering?

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/bal...hnk/index.html
I wonder if this will re-route any ships here?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 1:44 PM

AIM looking VERY unlikely to return, per Higgs.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ourt-1.7154932

If anyone wants a fun hate-read the CBC comments are incredible. The people who hate the pulp mill and refinery are very keen to keep this shitheap on the waterfront.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
AIM looking VERY unlikely to return, per Higgs.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ourt-1.7154932

If anyone wants a fun hate-read the CBC comments are incredible. The people who hate the pulp mill and refinery are very keen to keep this shitheap on the waterfront.
Reading the CBC comment section always make my heart hurt, I try to avoid it for my own mental well-being.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 5:02 PM

Quote:
There is lots of available capacity on the US east coast right now. Baltimore handles about 21K TEU/week. I expect there will be little to no effect here. They will be clearing that location ASAP.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 7:03 PM

Any info why Marfret Guyane coming to port on April 12 th? Extra, or replacement ship ? Colombia/Honduras/Guatemala/Ft Lauderdale/Jamaica - not a route that typically makes stops here

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Any info why Marfret Guyane coming to port on April 12 th? Extra, or replacement ship ? Colombia/Honduras/Guatemala/Ft Lauderdale/Jamaica - not a route that typically makes stops here
According to the CMA-CGM schedule it's a replacement ship on their Caribbean route.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 2:06 AM

Quote:
AllNewBrunswick is now reporting that the SJ Port CEO has said that the port is ready to handle cargo from Baltimore. So it seems some may be re-routed to here.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 10:34 AM

Quote from news article Port of Montreal possible strike

Large retailers would be among the hardest hit by a disruption, said Bob Ballantyne, a senior adviser at the Freight Management Association of Canada, whose nearly 60 members include Canadian Tire Corp., Hudson’s Bay Co. and Home Depot Canada.

“In advance, they’ll start making other arrangements. I suspect a number of our big retailers and other importers will have already started to do that,” Ballantyne said.

“They’ll be looking at rerouting primarily to the ports of Halifax and St. John, N.B.”

Article says one shipper already diverting goods through Halifax

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Replacing AS Svenja I believe.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Large retailers would be among the hardest hit by a disruption, said Bob Ballantyne, a senior adviser at the Freight Management Association of Canada, whose nearly 60 members include Canadian Tire Corp., Hudson’s Bay Co. and Home Depot Canada.

“In advance, they’ll start making other arrangements. I suspect a number of our big retailers and other importers will have already started to do that,” Ballantyne said.

“They’ll be looking at rerouting primarily to the ports of Halifax and St. John, N.B.”

Article says one shipper already diverting goods through Halifax
The port of Montreal is down 6.3% YTD as of February 29, 2024. It's hard to determine exactly what's happening as Saint John is down about 8% today (4.7% as of Feb. 29th) just looking at Hapag and CMA traffic over CPKC. I can't say anything about MSC as they don't ship anything over CPKC. Unless traffic over CN has gone above their recent average of 10 to 25 containers a week, I will assume that CN is pushing whatever they can to Halifax.

Some day they might learn how to spell Saint John correctly. It's hard to give a lot of credibility to people who consistently fail to realize the difference. The difference matters. With so many places using a version of the same name, it would be of significant importance, especially in the transportation industry, to know and understand why the difference exists.

Last edited by Ottawa; Mar 29, 2024 at 1:47 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces