HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 9:23 PM

Barrito Jax is now opened on Old Placentia Rd in da Pearl.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 7:58 PM

Drove by the Bier Markt (former Keg) location today on Harbour Drive. They have the middle section of the building covered in scaffolding and tarps so I guess they are doing some significant changes to the exterior.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 1:53 PM

so is it just me, or is the Boston Pizza construction downtown, seeming like its been underway for years now ? This has to be the slowest restaurant project ever undertaken. At the rate they are going, Bier market will be open before they are.

Not that I care, because I personally think opening a 3rd Boston Pizza in St. John's is totally ASENINE , and I get the feeling they are experiencing a renovation remorse right now. I think its a terrible location, and certainly not needed in the city right now. Just my 2 cents.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
so is it just me, or is the Boston Pizza construction downtown, seeming like its been underway for years now ? This has to be the slowest restaurant project ever undertaken. At the rate they are going, Bier market will be open before they are.

Not that I care, because I personally think opening a 3rd Boston Pizza in St. John's is totally ASENINE , and I get the feeling they are experiencing a renovation remorse right now. I think its a terrible location, and certainly not needed in the city right now. Just my 2 cents.
I agree with everything you said here.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 2:43 PM

I agree that it has been painfully slow, (seems to be two guys working on it...lol) but perhaps they are in no hurry because it appears to be timed to the Convention Center reopening this spring/summer. For me personally, if I am on a convention I would probably look to experience local restaurants however I'm sure there will be many who will settle for something familiar.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I agree that it has been painfully slow, (seems to be two guys working on it...lol) but perhaps they are in no hurry because it appears to be timed to the Convention Center reopening this spring/summer. For me personally, if I am on a convention I would probably look to experience local restaurants however I'm sure there will be many who will settle for something familiar.
I can't believe BP isn't open yet. It's been in the works for quite some time. However, synchronizing it's opening with that of the convention centre does make sense. I agree with both Sox and J_Murphy here as well - I really don't think there's a need for 3 BPs.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I can't believe BP isn't open yet. It's been in the works for quite some time. However, synchronizing it's opening with that of the convention centre does make sense. I agree with both Sox and J_Murphy here as well - I really don't think there's a need for 3 BPs.

It looks like Newfoundland Power could be the reason construction/opening of the Boston Pizza is taking so long. The following memorandum was in February 8th city council agenda.

"Newfoundland Power initially requested an Easement for 2 Steers Cove to provide power to Boston Pizza. The City granted that easement. Subsequent to that granting of the easement Newfoundland Power installed significant infrastructure outside the granted Easement without the City’s permission. They then requested a second Easement to allow them to maintain that infrastructure and have indicated that this is required to connect Boston Pizza to the power grid. Boston Pizza is delayed in opening as a result Newfoundland Power’s actions. Removal of the infrastructure would be costly and would potentially disrupt power to a portion of the downtown. The Engineering Department and the Legal Department have met with representatives of Newfoundland Power regarding the issue and both Departments are in agreement to grant the Easement. We have indicated to Newfoundland Power that they must in future obtain permission before installing infrastructure on City Property.
I recommend that Council approve the attached Easement Agreement to be executed by the Mayor and City Clerk and request that the matter be brought before Council at the next Regular Meeting. "

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 6:09 PM

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 12:41 PM

I have said it for a while now, that the restaurant and bar scene in Downtown St.John's, is going to be faced with Immense challenges ahead. You can already see things starting to unfold, slowly, as some of the Dominos begin to fall. Today, we see that Bistro Sofia is re-structuring, basically joining forces with the Black Sea in order to save on overhead. Also you see The Hummus Hut closing down, and rumour has it Wingin' It is also going to be shutting down their downtown location ( or moving it, at the very least, to a new location ).

In today's downtown market, you need to be Incredibly successful and busy, in order to survive. With the continual rising costs of Food, Labour, Rent, Heat/Light, Insurance, and now the major increase in Business taxes -- it makes it almost impossible to keep the wolves away. Now add to that, the Competition, the continual opening of Major Franchises with deep pockets, and huge advertising and Marketing campaigns --- the small local pubs and restaurants don't stand a chance.

By the time the summer rolls around, and Boston Pizza has opened up, and Bier Market is in full swing -- how many more local pubs and restaurants do you think are going to closed down ?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 3:08 PM

Quote:
I have said it for a while now, that the restaurant and bar scene in Downtown St.John's, is going to be faced with Immense challenges ahead. You can already see things starting to unfold, slowly, as some of the Dominos begin to fall. Today, we see that Bistro Sofia is re-structuring, basically joining forces with the Black Sea in order to save on overhead. Also you see The Hummus Hut closing down, and rumour has it Wingin' It is also going to be shutting down their downtown location ( or moving it, at the very least, to a new location ).

In today's downtown market, you need to be Incredibly successful and busy, in order to survive. With the continual rising costs of Food, Labour, Rent, Heat/Light, Insurance, and now the major increase in Business taxes -- it makes it almost impossible to keep the wolves away. Now add to that, the Competition, the continual opening of Major Franchises with deep pockets, and huge advertising and Marketing campaigns --- the small local pubs and restaurants don't stand a chance.

By the time the summer rolls around, and Boston Pizza has opened up, and Bier Market is in full swing -- how many more local pubs and restaurants do you think are going to closed down ?
Restaurants/Pubs come and go...always have and always will. As long as we are seeing restaurants open when one closes, I don't think there is much to worry about now. Hummus Hut isn't closing due to economic conditions, the owner has put it up for sale because of an allergy she has developed. Not much you can do there. Bistro Sofia is closing but don't forget we have also recently seen the addition of St. John's Fish Exchange downtown and soon to come are Boston Pizza and Bier Markt. There is also another place I saw an ad for the other day but can't remember the name. Boston Pizza downtown will probably just mean less business for the other two locations (and all the other comparable restaurants in the City). I'm not a huge fan of the place or having it in this location, but I think it will do well because of it's proximity to the convention center and Mile One. You need places like this to handle large groups of people.

It seems media always makes a big deal when someplace closes as it is the first sign of the apocalypse or something. When you look outside of downtown, there are also new places sprouting up all over the place. I could go on and on about this but I won't for now. No need to panic yet in my opinion, survival of the fittest.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 3:45 PM

Happy Hummus Hut closed because the owner was no longer able to have the business due to a new life threatening allergy. I know people who know the owner and she has several bad allergies. The whole thing is for sale now and hopefully someone will buy it. Its one of the few restaurants in the city that have vegan food (although I'm not vegan).

Also I heard awhile ago that Wingin It was moving their downtown location as the owner of the building is not the best.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 7:17 PM

Yeah, Wingin' It isn't shutting down their downtown location because of lack of business. It might be better for them in the long run, anyway, to have a better downtown location than what they currently have. Eat Clean/Velma's location is available, prime spot?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Yeah, Wingin' It isn't shutting down their downtown location because of lack of business. It might be better for them in the long run, anyway, to have a better downtown location than what they currently have. Eat Clean/Velma's location is available, prime spot?
Wingin' It is moving down the road to the former Annexe because of landlord issues.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 2:49 PM

I thought Annexe was still open? It's been a while since I've walked around downtown.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 5:14 PM

Monday's agenda reports a change of occupancy permit for the old Chatter's Cafe at 112 Duckworth Street. No word on who's moving in.

The agenda also has a change of occupancy permit for 281 Duckworth Street. Google suggests this is the new Seto restaurant, serving "inspired modern Canadian cuisine and well crafted cocktails, along with an exciting beer list in a fun, welcoming environment." They have a late night menu open until 1 am Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. The online reservation system (Yelp) is taking reservations beginning Tuesday, March 15. Looks like they are having a soft opening this weekend, with seats available by email request ( https://www.facebook.com/setokitchen...36672629763730 ).

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/setokitchenandbar
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/setokitchenbar/
Yelp: https://www.seatme.yelp.com/r/seto-kitchen-bar/

Menu preview: http://www.setokitchenandbar.com/#!menu/c1t7k

Last edited by jthetzel; Mar 12, 2016 at 5:24 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 11:42 PM

Well Boston Pizza on Water Street is another step closer to opening. They have the signage on the building now. This has got to be the longest restaurant construction project in history. LOL

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 1:12 AM

Hey, anyone know what's the deal with Stoggers Pizza on LeMarchant/Longs Hill?
I called there today to order and couldnt get through. So decide to just drive there this afternoon and it was empty and locked up. Did they go out of business?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 11:01 AM

Stoggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Hey, anyone know what's the deal with Stoggers Pizza on LeMarchant/Longs Hill?
I called there today to order and couldnt get through. So decide to just drive there this afternoon and it was empty and locked up. Did they go out of business?
Well if they are finally closed down, it would come as no surprise to me. I have gone there 3 times in the last , I would say 6 months. Each time I have gone, was lunchtime to grab a quick slice for lunch and head right back to the office. Each time without fail, they had no slices ready for the lunch rush ! 3 strikes , you're out, as far as I'm concerned. This place wasn't worth the effort to try and get in there, the parking situation was horrible, and they certainly didn't seem to really care about customers returning anyway.

Something else puzzled me too about this place, they had signs in the window saying that they only accept cash -- no Debit, or no Credit. What business this day and age, doesn't accept debit ?? A sure sign to me that they were on the way out . So if they are indeed closed, chalk this one up to extremely poor Management skills and poor business decisions.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Well if they are finally closed down, it would come as no surprise to me. I have gone there 3 times in the last , I would say 6 months. Each time I have gone, was lunchtime to grab a quick slice for lunch and head right back to the office. Each time without fail, they had no slices ready for the lunch rush ! 3 strikes , you're out, as far as I'm concerned. This place wasn't worth the effort to try and get in there, the parking situation was horrible, and they certainly didn't seem to really care about customers returning anyway.

Something else puzzled me too about this place, they had signs in the window saying that they only accept cash -- no Debit, or no Credit. What business this day and age, doesn't accept debit ?? A sure sign to me that they were on the way out . So if they are indeed closed, chalk this one up to extremely poor Management skills and poor business decisions.
I have to agree. From my experience (not a lot, but enough for observation purposes) really great pizza..... service... well, not so much. Great service, especially in a business with so much competition, is paramount.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 12:54 PM

Oddly enough, they had a sign in the window saying that their debit was now working. Probably too little too late.

I refuse to give my support to business who refuse to accept the use of debit machines in this day and age. I never carry cash on me on anymore.

Quote:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's