HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 9:51 PM

The neighbourhoods I've considered are certainly still dense (I've ruled out more sprawled areas for the moment like Paradise, Kenmount Terrace - not to say it's not possible, but it would be much more difficult, and I also have less interest in these neighbourhoods). I've thought about this a lot and I have considered the neighbourhoods that have the potential to have a robust commercial sector with room for growth, I've also considered population demographics and connectivity within the City). Rabbittown is one I've considered, as well as Newtown and the area around MUN, namely around Bonaventure Avenue/Elizabeth where it's slightly more dense). Georgestown is awesome and I wish there were more services there, but at the same time, it's not far enough from downtown to be the great urban experiment that I envision, haha.

On a side note, I absolutely think it's possible to integrate business into areas like Kenmount Terrace. Without a doubt, it will require some government intervention. Strip-mall style commercial hubs embedded into sub-divisions like Kenmount Terrace could probably work, because it's actually grown to be a sizeable community. Unlike other neighbourhoods, like Rabbittown, there are very few or no buildings which could be appropriately retrofitted for business activity, as all of the buildings are single-detached dwellings.

Signal, you're totally right. The regulations on development and the zoning laws can be a nightmare to navigate. In neighbourhoods like rabbittown/newtown, they should be completely overhauled for mixed-use development. Zoning, in my opinion, was popularized out of the post-war era of suburbanization and single-use neighbourhoods. They're really retrogressive and personally, I think the whole concept of zoning a City needs to be revisited. But I digress… haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwspencer38 View Post
As someone who has seriously considered opening up a business, I can tell you that it is extremely difficult. As great as starting a new business in a pre-dominantly residential area would be, the likelihood of success is extremely small. I won't say it can't be done because it has been successful in other cities across the country, however, what is the motivation for opening a business in a residential area? Is it to revitalize the area in hopes of spurring commercial growth or is it to run a successful business? I would certainly hope it would be the latter! Then it begs the question of whether or not it would be a wise idea to start a business in an area with little commercial success knowing full well it would be extremely difficult given its location. It's sort of a chicken and egg situation.

The way I view it is this: If you want to create a successful business then you need to place it in the best possible spot to reach your goal. Most people typically need finanical support for their start-up costs and having delt with banks and financial supporters, most would be skeptical about the success of a lone business in a residential area.

Not saying it can't be done, but yeeessh it would be damn tough.
I don't disagree with you. But I wouldn't so quickly say that the chances for success are low though because it's really a foreign concept in St.John's so it's hard to predict how it would be received. I also think that if it has occurred, it wasn't really planned well. Of course you can't pick a location arbitrarily - but you can look at neighbourhood demographics aligned with your product/service, you can look at movement/traffic flows in the neighbourhood to get a location that has high-visibility. But at the same time, if there's an awesome bar in Rabbittown, then I would just go to Rabbittown. I wouldn't go to CBS now, but Rabbittown really isn't that far. You can walk there from downtown in 10-15 minutes, if you live downtown. There are also thousands of students living in that area (between MUN, Newtown, Freshwater, Bonaventure, and Downtown), and going to Rabbittown to hang out at a cool bar would be more convenient than going downtown to an equally/less cool bar. Sure, it's experimental, but I believe it's totally doable. The greatest hurdle is the City and strict regulations on development, I THINK. With that said, why can't we revitalize an area WHILE making money? They are not mutually exclusive concepts! Because at the same time, there are also advantages of opening a business in a new area - less competition!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 10:42 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

I agree quite a bit. Before I post my thoughts though, can you outline for me what area you are referring to as "Newtown"? Give me some rough boundaries or something. Not that the boundaries really make or break your point or anything... I just don't think I'm particularly familiar with the neighbourhood. I know where Newtown Elementary is... and I know where Newtown Road is... but I don't know if one is in the neighbourhood or if it is a third location.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
I agree quite a bit. Before I post my thoughts though, can you outline for me what area you are referring to as "Newtown"? Give me some rough boundaries or something. Not that the boundaries really make or break your point or anything... I just don't think I'm particularly familiar with the neighbourhood. I know where Newtown Elementary is... and I know where Newtown Road is... but I don't know if one is in the neighbourhood or if it is a third location.
I've always considered the Newtown road area as a part of Rabbittown, but the more I think about it I can't really say that would be the case. It's definitely an area that boarders Rabbittown and Georgestown. Somewhat dense neighborhood in the center of the city, solid location

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Newtown+Road,+St.+John's,+NL&hl=en&ll=47.568926,-52.725534&spn=0.008209,0.021136&sll=46.261961,-63.13589&sspn=0.134583,0.338173&oq=newtown+road&t=h&hnear=Newtown+Rd,+St+John's,+Newfoundland+and+Labrador&z=16

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
I assume the "Newtown" he refers to is roughly bounded by Rabbittown, Georgestown, and the Churchill Park area.

When I was a kid Newtown was a community on what was then the outskirts of Mt Pearl. Mt Pearl annexed the area but the school retains the name.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 12:24 AM

haha - yeah, I think I made up the name of this neighbourhood... but it's a good name and a good area. I am talking about the area roughly bordered by Freshwater, Empire, Elizabeth and Bonaventure. But now that I'm looking at a map, it might not be the best name for the area. Perhaps Whiteway would be a better name? More or less it's the MUN ghetto (another possible nickname - considering many universities across Canada have 'ghetto' neighbourhoods next to them where there is usually a high concentration of students).

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 12:28 AM

And it's been discussed before - but we really need more identified neighbourhoods. It really helps people feel like they belong to a community and also does wonders for situating yourself in a City. Hopefully the neighbourhood associations make a come-back.

On another note - perhaps a moderator can move this conversation to another thread, it's getting slightly off-topic.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 12:32 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjanejacobs View Post
haha - yeah, I think I made up the name of this neighbourhood... but it's a good name and a good area. I am talking about the area roughly bordered by Freshwater, Empire, Elizabeth and Bonaventure. But now that I'm looking at a map, it might not be the best name for the area. Perhaps Whiteway would be a better name? More or less it's the MUN ghetto (another possible nickname - considering many universities across Canada have 'ghetto' neighbourhoods next to them where there is usually a high concentration of students).
That area is just part of what was originally called Churchill Park, which is everything north of Empire, between Freshwater Rd and Torbay Rd.

I guess you should call it Churchill Park West.

This photo shows part of it in the early 60s:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 11:32 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

Okay, the MUN ghetto. That's how I've always known it. I had plenty of friends living there when I was in school, and I myself was just on the other side of Prince Phillip and very much within walking distance.

I think one of the big issues associated with potentially putting a few commercial building in any of those neighbourhoods are the residents. If you read the council minutes, anytime anyone even wants to open a Yoga studio or something in a basement, there is nothing but opposition from neighbours claiming that traffic will be an issue, there won't be enough parking, it will ruin the residential feel of the neighbourhood, etc. Again, I think that the solution is subsidies to encourage development, but the city may need to actively engage residents of the first "test neighbourhood" (if this were to happen) and fully explain to them the long term goals, as well as the benefits of mixed neighbourhoods.

"Newtown" could be a reasonable one to try it out in though, since so many of the houses are rented by students, and students really don't seem to care too much about municipal politics or what they're nextdoor to. They would probably encourage a bar a block away. The downside being that there isn't an area that really jumps out as a place that would be good for businesses. My first thought would be Elizabeth Ave, since the University is just across the street and with Churchill Square on one end and the plaza across from McEsso on the other, a precedent is already set. No reason Elizabeth Ave couldn't grow in that section with many more businesses catering to the University population.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 7:31 PM

I, personally, just really don't like Elizabeth Avenue. It's definitely primed for future commercial activity, but it's not where I can imagine setting up shop. What I envision doesn't really groove well with McEssos or any of the stuff you see on Elizabeth. If I was to pick something, it would be more urban - less vehicular traffic, narrower street, building frontage to the sidewalk, etc (personal preference). A non-pedestrian friendly area like Elizabeth? No thanks!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 8:38 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Completely agree. I dislike just about everything outside Empire Avenue.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 9:10 PM

I like Elizabeth Avenue East, near Elizabeth tower. I think that area would be a great choice for more higher-density developments. Walkable neighborhood with commercial amenities right there. Elizabeth Avenue West is nothing but a student ghetto/general ghetto. Can't see much happening there

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 2:33 AM

Is this the restaurant thread? LOL.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 5:28 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
I, personally, just really don't like Elizabeth Avenue. It's definitely primed for future commercial activity, but it's not where I can imagine setting up shop. What I envision doesn't really groove well with McEssos or any of the stuff you see on Elizabeth. If I was to pick something, it would be more urban - less vehicular traffic, narrower street, building frontage to the sidewalk, etc (personal preference). A non-pedestrian friendly area like Elizabeth? No thanks!
Where would you go if you were to set up a restaurant in the MUN Ghetto?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 5:37 PM

I completely just realized we're in a restaurant thread. Look at me, trying to discuss neighborhood development. I've gone and lost my mind

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 5:37 PM

Well I'm more interested in opening a café bar club, rather than a resto. And I am not sure - haha, I haven't been in St.John's in a long time. I may scope out the area next time I am there.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Well I'm more interested in opening a café bar club, rather than a resto. And I am not sure - haha, I haven't been in St.John's in a long time. I may scope out the area next time I am there.
I think that could be a good idea actually. You could really draw interest from the student population in the area, as well as older people who live in the area. If I am not mistaken, the only bar in the Eliz. Ave area is that sketchy pub in Churchill Square (it's name is lost on me now but the last time I was there some 40-year-old man was describing to me why he thought 12-year-old girls were the perfect ripe age ). At the same time I also think Pasta Plus and Quintanas (?) may be the only sit-down restaurants in the area, neither of which are overly special.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 7:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Would you ever move back home?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 2:37 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Ben's Pub is the one at Churchill Sq.

That 4-way at Newtown and Whiteway is pretty central in that area I think, and, having walked past it every school day for three years I can say it gets a tonne of foot/bicycle traffic (not just students commuting either, from what I can tell). A Cafe in that vicinity could perhaps do quite well.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Ben's Pub is the one at Churchill Sq.

That 4-way at Newtown and Whiteway is pretty central in that area I think, and, having walked past it every school day for three years I can say it gets a tonne of foot/bicycle traffic (not just students commuting either, from what I can tell). A Cafe in that vicinity could perhaps do quite well.
I think you're right. The biggest problem with that cross-roads and the area in general is that there isn't really an appropriate location for commercial activity because it's all developed as single detached with front yards without frontage onto the sidewalk. It would be tough to work with that. You could explore the option of retrofitting one of the residential units but that would be an expensive option without some kind of government assistance, not a realistic one for small business entrepreneurs.

Then you have to face the problem of NIMBYism in which I'm sure there would be opposition voices, namely on the issue of noise and traffic.

Then there is the parking problem, which is tough to work with, but could be underscored with the target-market being car-less students where most visitors arrive on foot. A tough sell nevertheless. This, however, further encourages the need for public rapid transit to free us of the automobile-strangle hold.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 10:46 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

I think the only way commercial would work in this area is the purchase of two adjacent lots and the demolition of the residential that is currently on them. Single detatched bungalows don't transition well into commercial space I don't think.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's