HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 4:07 AM

I'll be there. The facebook group now has 108 confirmed people for the rally....we need more!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 4:35 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I think I might go to the rally. I mean, its not like I have anything else to do then.

And I did have the opportunity to meet Sam in person last year.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 5:28 AM

BTW, I just read the following on the WW web site: "According to Oregon law, if an adult male has sex with a minor older than 16, the act is considered contributing to the sexual delinquency of a minor, a misdemeanor."

If Sam and Beau did have sex prior to Beau turning 18 the charge against Sam would not be a felony, but, with the present political climate, I think his political career will be finished if the timing of these events prove to be true. I certainly hope they aren't.

Last edited by PacificNW; Jan 23, 2009 at 6:31 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 5:52 AM
Ah-choo.

I intend on going, just curious to see how it plays out is all.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 6:32 AM
Bears of antiquity

See, even the fact that he wouldn't be shackled to the floor hasn't dragged anything salacious out. No, it's a Class A Misdemeanor, so it's not going to get him blacklisted which is why it's incredibly telling that the fact hasn't gotten him to run off and make a bargain (which with a Class A Misdemeanor, would mean no jail time and a larger fine, I believe).

Portland is a lot more liberal than people care to admit, everyone is just afraid he'll be thrown in jail for 10 years and get a little sign in front of house so they're apprehensive. Nope.

And do they really want another Potter? The f*cker spent his first 6 months in a power grab and made one last grab toward the end because he saw that Adams has long called the shots-- Adams has been taking care of the city for years and people know this. They just don't want to see him shuffling off to jail. That's the fear.

Last edited by alexjon; Jan 23, 2009 at 7:45 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 8:22 AM
Karma Police

Hell yeah I'm going. I don't care if it's 5 or 5000 people there. I know Sam personally and he's a good man.... he doesn't deserve this sh*t. I guarantee the protesters are either....

A) People who never liked Sam to begin with,

B) People who don't even live in the city of Portland,

C) Homophobes who are too chickensh*t to admit it out loud, but finally have an excuse to publicly hate Sam, or

D) All of the above

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 8:33 AM

I've got a party to host tomorrow night, but I'll try and stop by the event early on as well.. My heart goes out to Sam for dealing with this petty sh*t and dramatization..

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 4:33 PM

I am definitely going to be there. I heard Dan Savage is coming down from Seattle for it. Also there is talk of Thomas Lauderdale (Pink Martini), Storm Large, and Gus Van Sant.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
I've got a party to host tomorrow night...
Just move the party location to city hall!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 5:26 PM

I might go too. We should just have an SSP meet up there lol.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 7:15 PM
Bears of antiquity

I get into town tomorrow morning, so no rally for me

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 7:29 PM
A before E

I was planning on stopping by, I wanna give my support to someone who didnt do much wrong other than lie to a paper...and a mediocre paper at best.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 8:22 PM

I do not think Adams should resign simply because I think he could be an incredible mayor. However I think what he did was monumentally stupid and showed incredibly poor judgment. The thing that gets me however is not his poor choice of sexual companion, but the fact that he hired a reporter with no background or expertise in urban planning for a job that required someone with a master’s degree in planning or a related field.

Portland is not Phoenix, this is a city that is defined by its planning and also probably has more planners and planning experts then any place per capita in the US. The fact that he would hire a reporter for a job that she is not qualified for just to put a gag on her following up on the Breedlove story reeks of corruption. It also hints at the fact that there might be something more to this story that he was desperately trying to cover up.

The other thing I think people have to remember is that if he stays in office will he have the political capital to lead or will no one want to be associated with this guy?

Most of all, I am really disappointed in Adams.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 11:57 PM

Not that this will change your minds on whether you support the Mayor or not but I ran into this on the WW website. Supposedly it is an email that the President of the Portland Police Association sent to the Mayor yesterday. Interesting take. The Mayor has been accussed of violating severeral rules in the City's Code of Ethics. What might the punishment be?

RR

Subject: Apology
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 21:09:00 -0800

Organization: Portland Police Association

To: Adams, Sam

CC: tomm@ci.portland.or.us

Sam,

I am writing to you to apologize for immediately calling for your resignation without first attempting to have a conversation with you. The PPA's approach was a reaction to the press conference. I actually expected you to take that opportunity to step down for the benefit of Portland. When that didn't occur, we became vocal in our position. Having said that, I want to reiterate that this apology is only for not attempting to contact you first and in no way diminishes our opinion that you need to resign immediately for the benefit of Portland.

The PPA's position is based on a number of factors that I think you need to seriously consider in making your decision. As a sitting commissioner, mayoral candidate, and sitting mayor, you violated several rules in the City's code of ethics which were adopted while you were Mayor Katz's chief of staff. Specifically, from the City's web page:

1.03.020 (1) The City's powers and resources are to be used for the benefit of the public rather than any official's personal benefit. To function effectively, the City needs the public's respect and confidence that its power will be used on behalf of the community as a whole. In this context, improper acts are doubly wrong: a selfish decision is not only wrong in itself, but also wrong because it violates the public's trust in government.

By likely utilizing either city funds, or campaign funds, you have acknowledged that you employed Mark Weiner to assist you in the cover up of your relationship and your continuous lies to the citizens and employees of Portland.

1.03.020 (2) Ensure public respect by avoiding even the appearance of impropriety. Public service requires a continual effort to overcome cynical attitudes and suspicions about the people in government. For example, conduct which could appear dishonest to a reasonable observer will undermine the public trust even if the conduct is not illegal.

In this case, by trying to cover up your involvement, you acknowledge the impropriety (and appearance of it). In addition, your lies to the citizens and employees of Portland were dishonest, and have undermined the public trust even if the conduct is deemed not to have been illegal.

1.03.040 (3) Campaigns for election allow the voters to make an informed choice on appropriate criteria. Elections offer the ultimate accountability for City officials. Therefore, candidates should strive for respectful and accurate discourse on important issues. To protect freedom of speech and of the press, Oregon law does not prohibit ethically questionable actions such as untrue statements, unkept promises, or deliberate deception. Nevertheless, such actions are unethical. It is also not ethical to focus a campaign on trivial matters or on the kind of negative exchanges that make voters conclude, "A plague on both your houses.

You readily acknowledge that you covered up your inappropriate relationship to fool the voters so they would not consider the issue of an alleged inappropriate relationship in casting their vote. Moreover, you didn't have the faith in Portlanders to trust you, and deliberately deceived the voters in order to win the election.

1.03.050 (D) Officials avoid discreditable personal conduct and are personally honest.

Not only were you personally dishonest, you were professionally dishonest as well when you sent out an official letter to the citizens and employees of Portland denying any inappropriate relationship, yet acknowledged during your press conference that it was in fact inappropriate.

As the mayor of Portland, you are responsible for all serious discipline. Even if you delegate that responsibility to someone else, it is still you that sets the example. There is no way for you to get around the glaring double standard you present when you discipline any employee that has accepted their responsibility, and seeks forgiveness rather than discipline. This is not a precedent anyone wants. Yet, if you stay, that is exactly the precedent you will be setting.

Finally, in imposing discipline on then Chief Derrick Foxworth, you are quoted as saying something to the effect of, "When the situation deteriorates to being the subject of jokes, it's time to step down." While I won't repeat the ever growing number of jokes out there that make a mockery of you personally and your mayoral position, I will ask that you follow your own advice in this matter. It has deteriorated to being the subject of jokes.

On a personal note, and something I have mentioned in every press conference I have given, I was looking forward to working with you. When you named Commissioner Saltzman the commissioner in charge of the Police Bureau, I thought that was a bold move and one that gave me inspiration and respect for your leadership. If this was a matter of ability, I do in fact believe you had the potential to be a good mayor. However, I don't believe you are being realistic in your ability to restore the public trust. Your actions in 2007 and your adamant denials to the other commissioners, the public, and every city employee combined with your continuing lies all the way through the end of last week have shattered any ability to garner trust.

With protests mounting on both sides of this issue, I think you can see that there is a division being created here that is not in the best interest of Portland. Please, for the benefit of Portland, consider resigning immediately. Don't drag this issue on for months.

--

Scott Westerman

President

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 12:18 AM

Sigh - I am already ill at the thought of Sam resigning. I checked out his website, and he had some ambitious goals for his first 100 days.

http://www.portlandonline.com/mayor/index.cfm?c=49369

I don't need a saint in office, I need a bulldog. Get back to work Sam. Portland needs you more than you know.

If anyone in this forum believes that we need a mayor now, and not a mayor in 6 months time, then join me and countless others in support of Sam at city hall at 5:30 pm. We have way too much riding on the next few months, and I am not ready to swear in Randy Leonard as our interim mayor, nor am I willing to let naysayers help put some conservative bottom feeder in office.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 1:01 AM

Let try to understand this: Lies were told to get us into a war; thousands of people have lost their lives or been injured because of a unjust war; the possibility of war crime charges against members of the former U.S. administration; a deepening recession bordering on a depression; no health care for many; bank officials misspending federal bailout money; a crumbling national infrastructure; NSA spying on U.S. citizens. The outrage seems to be focused on elected officials (at all levels of government) when it comes to their sexual appetites. Many are slapped on their hands but not forced to leave their office. Former U.S. Presidents and their sexual exploits with interns and/or Hollywood stars also come to mind; (Conservative "family values" congressmen being forgiven, or a pass, by their spouses and electorate for frequenting the services of prostitutes SIMPLY because they are professed Christians, or believers); etc., etc., etc, etc, on and on. This issue, as sad as it is, ranks as a top concern for the citizens of Portland? Can't we get real? I think the focus of our outrage is misdirected. Why do we, at times, hold our elected officials to different level of standards than those of our family and friends? Why are we so concerned about the private sex lies of anyone other than our own? Seriously, how should we express our outrage? Should we ignore the national situations and mainly focus our unhappiness with our local officials regardless of the seriousness of their mistakes or dishonesty when it only involves their private lives? Should our media be held to a standard of decency? Just what is our, the citizens, rights to know what goes on in a persons bedroom? How about directing a little of that concern towards our neighbors who are striving to survive in todays realities? The agenda that Sam has laid out for the future betterment of Portland, I feel, far out weighs, a "small, stupid action" on his part. I didn't realize there were so many non-sinners, and those who have never lied, living in Portland. I guess I should be impressed. It appears that it is pretty easy to cast stones when you are a perfect being and the person being stoned is down for the moment. I doubt I, or anyone else, as ever met a person who hasn't lied about something....especially if it pertains to sexual matters. As a non believer, and defined by many a sinner and a confessed liar, I am insulted, and angered, by the rhetoric of the self righteous who continually try to dictate how we are to lead/live our lives. I hope Sam, and his supporters, fight this with every ounce of strength and legal means they have available. As it has been stated by some this issue(s) probably has been a huge learning lesson for Sam which could actually help him be a better mayor, but if he steps down I couldn't blame him. I wonder if I am the only one who is disappointed by this distraction when I wanted to focus on the inauguration of our new President? This local coverage (not the alleged incident) has actually made me sick to my stomach....I admit it...I am a Drama Queen.

Last edited by PacificNW; Jan 24, 2009 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 3:43 AM

why is Scott Westerman of the PPA being so vocal and adamant?

Crime stats show we have an uncomfortable and increasingly out of control gang problem on our hands. The chief wants to reduce the five police precincts to three. Budget cuts will reduce policing services, petty crime generally goes up, there has been no plan developed since the last downturn to stop the jails from re-installing the revolving doors, community services are going to get cut so treatment, and hope, no longer will be able to pinpoint and break the pattern offenders...

just to mention a few issues that affect ALL Portlanders EVERY day

We know his/their opinion, now give this same vigor and dedication to help find solutions to the real issues the police union should be concerned with.

Let Sam make his decision, and then let Portlanders protest, be upset, support, cry about, or clap about whatever that decision is.

Personally, I can't believe we are even discussing this. It seems to be suburban sensationalism. I live, work, shop, and commune in Portland. I haven't meet many Portlanders that even care.

I also am disappointed in the bOregonian, as well as other media outlets. Calling for the guy to step down when they are literally dedicating PAGES of print on the story seems biased and unfair to Sam and Portlanders trying to figure out the true story, and whether this evening matters. It is also a knee-jerk reaction. Of course they are the people that endorsed Bush...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 3:44 AM
Bears of antiquity

The letter from the PPA is speculative at best and further makes me believe he should stay on. It makes forced assumptions and implies something that requires a legal judgment or full admission.

It also assumes that the inappropriate relationship Adams denied was the sex he admitted to, ignoring, again, that the actual rumor was sex with a 17 year old.

If Breedlove was 18, Adams should stick around until he gets a full investigation.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 4:45 AM

I got so worked up reading the piss-poor excuse for an article that the Clackamas Tribune has posted right now that I sent this letter to Jim Redden, the author. Call me crazy, but rolling that huge rally into barely a paragraph in an already-existing article is ridiculous. You would think that it would be plastered all over every media outlet in town...

Hi Jim,

Don't you think that the size of the pro-Adams rally tonight demands an article in and of itself? Particularly when compared to the small size of the rallies demanding his resignation?

Also, describing the crowd as "mostly young" is an overstatement that seems designed to de-legitimize the effort in the eyes of your readership. I personally witnessed a multi-generational crowd out there tonight. Unless, that is, you consider people in their 40's, 50's, and 60's to be "young". Though your journalistic credibility is already in question due to the pathetic nature of the paper you work for (and believe me, it is difficult to look pathetic next to the Oregonian), I beg you to choose your words more accurately.

Lastly, there are a few embarrassing typos in the article that you may want to fix.

Thank you for your time,

Andrew

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 4:53 AM
Ah-choo.

There were certainly a good mix of people there tonight, old, young, gay, straight, male, female, hipster, well-off, it doesn't matter. It was a short rally but I was glad to be there and it's nauseating to see it dismissed so readily. Also it was damn cold.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics