HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I will never pick up an Oregonian, Tribune or Willamette Week again. I had essentially nixed them all years ago, but I would occasionally pick one up if it was sitting in front of me and I was bored. Now I'll probably crumple up the paper if I see it (and recycle it).
I have had much the same feeling. "Public interest", my ass.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 11:48 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweek.com
Adams had also said that he and a friend drove down to Salem for Breedlove’s 18th birthday party on June 25, 2005.

Adams, now 45, also acknowledged then that his encounters with Breedlove distressed his staff, because they looked inappropriate.

“We made it clear that Sam should be careful,” Adams’ chief of staff, Tom Miller, told WW in 2007.
so it appears that Sam... got horny. You know, if I was 40, single, and I met a hot 18 year old... well I think my point is that sex is pretty normal, but I don't exactly want to know the detailed sex lives of public figures. Or my friends. Or my parents/family/relatives.

I'm giving Sam a pass on this one, but I would say he didn't handle it in the best of ways. Course, he plays hardball, so I expect it of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweek.com
“People got this story wrong,” says Mark Merkle, 39, Breedlove’s boyfriend for two years ending in August 2008. “Beau lied. And Sam, not Ball, was the bad guy.”
It also appears the Mr. Breedlove has a thing for older men. With names as bad as his...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 12:00 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

One other thing - the Willamette Week article is alleging that Adams hired Amy Ruiz because she didn't say anything when investigating the relationship deal. This... would be a bit of a problem, in my mind. Why hire someone with NO experience in such an important department (Portland-wise)? There are many experts in this field. She isn't:

Quote:
Ruiz, 28, acknowledged in a Jan. 15 interview that she has no experience in sustainability, planning or government.

“This town has a million and a half urban planners, and I’m not one of them,” she says.

Ruiz’s new salary—$55,000—is substantially more than she made at The Mercury.

Mayors and city commissioners frequently hire people whose enthusiasm exceeds their experience. But it was what Ruiz had done as a reporter—or more specifically, what she had not done—that brought into question Adams’ decision to hire her.

In 2007, Ruiz was one of two Mercury reporters who covered the Breedlove story. The other was Scott Moore.

Besides the scandal, tts almost like Adams doesn't like urban planners. He replaced one of the most well respected urban planners for a two-bit reporter? Thats a bit fishy, if one would to ask me.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 3:36 PM

He lied about personal sex, not an issue of importance. I believe we should give a pass to people lying about acts of consensual sex.

That simple. Period.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 4:46 PM
Bears of antiquity

I think he should fire Amy and get it over with. She's a nice gal, but it's painfully clear that he wanted not just a gag, but a better in with the alt press that has long dismissed him as an insider.

People need to realize right here and now that the Willy Week has an axe to grind over the Amy Ruiz thing and wants a sequel to "writer wins pulitzer", the Tribune is owned by a jealous-that-Sho-lost man who created Bibleman(!!) and the Big Zero is a right wing paper wearing a mask.

If Breedlove was 18, Adams should stay.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 6:48 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
"Public interest", my ass.
Not exactly the best way to phrase it, given the situation. I'm just sayin'...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 6:55 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
If Breedlove was 18, Adams should stay.
...or whatever the legal age for consent is here in Oregon. Being that I wouldn't even flirt with a woman who isn't even old enough to drink, I have no idea what that age is. Is it 18 here? I think it's 17 in some states and even younger in a few others.

I'm so extremely disappointed in Sam as a person... but it's what he can do for the city that earned him my vote, so I really hope this just blows over... wait... that's not the best way to phrase it either. How about: I really hope he gets to stay in office and be an effective mayor.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:23 PM

I think the main threat right now is Adams giving in and resigning. I've heard that there actually can't be a repeal (if thats the right word) within 6 months of a an incoming mayor (KGW), so hopefully that is enough time for this to blow over.

The more and more I think and learn more about it, the more frustrating it is. He lied about something that shouldn't have even been brought up (his personal sex life with another consenting adult). It's unfortunate that during the election he couldn't just reply that it's none of the public's business, but I guess that would probably have hurt his campaign as well.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:26 PM

It is such a relief to see some supportive posts for him. All I have seen elsewhere is a lynch mob. I was waiting for see people try to burn him at the stake. Even the gay paper Just Out asked him to resign. But seriously we have all made mistakes. He shouldn't have lied, agree. He apologized. Let's move on and let him be the great mayor I have every hope he will be!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:45 PM
Karma Police

That "gay" publication is just one person; Marty Davis. She is the owner and editor of that paper and believe me, she does NOT represent the gay community AT ALL. She is a repressed, man-hating lesbian who never liked Sam in the first place. In fact, she has a visceral hate of anyone who is sexually active. She no more represents the gay community than Bush represented the American middle class.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:52 PM

Rally planned to support embattled Portland Mayor Sam Adams
by Noelle Crombie, The Oregonian
Thursday January 22, 2009, 9:15 AM

Thomas Lauderdale, Pink Martini's frontman, this morning is trying to organize a rally to support Mayor Sam Adams and encourage Portland to "calm down" in the wake of a sex scandal threatening to engulf Adams' administration.

"It's been a feeding frenzy," said Lauderdale who lives in Portland. "It's all happened so fast and for some reason, Portlanders feel really hungry for blood."

City Hall appeared calm and normal this morning, with receptionists and staffers staying busy.

By 9 a.m., Commissioner Amanda Fritz was the only member of the City Council in her office. She declined to comment on the mayor's situation.

In Commissioner Randy Leonard's office, staff assistant Lisa Leddy said it had been a rough couple of days. "I'm almost afraid to answer the phone," she said. "We're getting hammered."

Reached by phone, Leonard was somber.

"The investigation is really his only hope," Leonard said. He's broken a lot of trust. But if this investigation ends up confirming what he's already stated, if it's the lie we know about and nothing else, that's his only hope."

Wade Nkrumah, Adams' spokesman, said the mayor had been scheduled to be Washington, D.C., through today, so he has no activities on his calendar. Nkrumah has not spoken to Adams, but does not expect the mayor to come to City Hall, or to appear at the council meeting this afternoon.

"He is still reaching out to stakeholders, reaching out to people he feels he needs to reach out to," Nkrumah said.

Meanwhile, a couple new sites have cropped up supporting Adams, including this Facebook group, "Support Sam Adams," which has about 300 members this morning. A pro-Adams site - "Samisstillmymayor" - is up and running, and there's also a site dedicated to recalling Adams.

Lauderdale said he has not pinned down a time for the rally, which is to be held on the steps of City Hall.

This morning, he plans to talk with Adams or members or his staff before moving ahead with plans for the event.

He said director Gus Van Sant, who like Lauderdale is openly gay and lives in Portland, said he, too, would attend a rally in support of Adams.

Lauderdale said calls for Adams to resign -- The Oregonian, The Portland Tribune and Just Out, a leading gay publication -- are rushed to judgment.

"When it comes to sex, this country is just so crazy," Lauderdale said. "Ultimately, I think that what needs to happen is the city needs to calm down. The city needs to calm down and we need to concentrate on the heavy agenda, which is before us as a city. These sex scandals are a huge, colossal waste of time and resources."

Lauderdale, an openly gay man and friend of Adams,' said he has not spoken with the mayor since the scandal broke but he has sent him text messages supporting him. He said he brought cupcakes to Adams' staff Wednesday night to cheer them up.

He said he's spoken with a lot of people who have supported the mayor. He's hoping Portlanders will come to the rally to encourage "the city to move on and move ahead and not behave rashly and irrationally."

"The thing is: people lie about sex. I mean it's the one thing that people lie about. He is not going to make this kind of mistake ever again in his life."

"I don't see this as a character problem. It was a huge lesson that unfortunately he had to learn in a very public way."

Adams has admitted that he had a sexual relationship with Beau Breedlove an 18-year-old Oregon legislative intern in the summer of 2005, that he repeatedly lied about the relationship and asked the young man to lie to help him get elected mayor.

At the request of local authorities, the state attorney general's office will investigate the case for possible wrongdoing.

Commissioner Leonard said he wouldn't participate in the rally planned for today to support Adams, saying it would be "inappropriate for council members right now to participate in that kind of thing."

He also says he refused a request from Sam's staff to let him sign onto the letter to Oregon Attorney General John Kroger.

"I had these two young men from his office looking at me like I'm a traitor," Leonard said. "But we can't do that. It can't look like a compromise. We all talk about being collegial, but this goes beyond that. We are not going to huddle together and protect Sam if he's done something wrong."

-- Anna Griffin and James Mayer contributed to this report.

-- Noelle Crombie; noellecrombie@news.oregonian.com

And a heartwarming example of one of the comments under the story:

Quote:
Posted by SAGERAT on 01/22/09 at 10:14AM

Sam Adams may in fact represent the young Portland "metrosexuals". But the REAL Portland includes all the suburbs, the married couples with children who work in and around the Portland area and thus are affected by its policies, decisions and taxes. He most certainly does NOT represent these people. Get yourself a real mayor with a normal lifestyle and get this loser out of office.
I hope that, ultimately, there are a lot more of us than them.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
In Commissioner Randy Leonard's office, staff assistant Lisa Leddy said it had been a rough couple of days. "I'm almost afraid to answer the phone," she said. "We're getting hammered."

Reached by phone, Leonard was somber.
Is 'getting hammered' used to mean 'getting drunk' in the States? Cause that's how I read it; then misread the last word of the next line as 'sober'. Which made the whole story a lot more interesting.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 8:26 PM

I hope this rally will be huge. I hope Mayor Adams can hold on and see, first hand, that he still has a large base of support.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 9:04 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
Now I'll probably crumple up the paper if I see it (and recycle it).
how very Portland of you.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 10:07 PM
Bears of antiquity

Blogtown has a poll up, go vote!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 11:08 PM

Brian Libby has an excellent piece in his column today:

http://portlandarchitecture.com/

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 11:28 PM

I read on the "Support Sam Adams" page on Facebook that there will be a major rally tomorrow at 530 in front of city hall. Spread the word!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 12:29 AM
Bears of antiquity

If Breedlove was 18, it should be dropped. Erica Barnett and Matt Davis at the Stranger/Mercury should be sacked as well given their conflict and accusations for the sake of creating a story.

If Breedlove was 17, then obviously I stand corrected, but until we have proof, I'm not going to be "that guy" who screams "Pedo" whenever Adams walks by, especially given the fact that he's run the city for longer than he's been mayor.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 12:55 AM
Ah-choo.

Strongly considering going to the rally. Though I imagine it will just be a bit of shouting and standing around in the cold.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 1:20 AM

↑ If only a few supporters show up because of the shouting, standing and the cold how will the media report the event? No doubt the headlines will be: "Few people gather to show support for Mayor Adams." Please, if you support this man show up and be prepared to confront the screams of the unforgiving and intolerant. I think his opponents are using his problems as political opportunities to advance their agenda...

Last edited by PacificNW; Jan 23, 2009 at 2:13 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics