HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
I think you're talking about what appears to be a tall building just south of 23rd and Fairview, my gf's dad thinks that was the Eddy's bakery that blew up due to the bad mix of welding and a gas leak. Her dad says that downtown Boise was covered by bread wrappers. This has not yet been confirmed. Stay tuned.

That sounds like something the the library would have on micro film. I'm shure the Statesman would have written something about it.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 6:14 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
Do you know how to copy a screen shot of that area off of mapquest with just the aerial image? I can't figure it out and I've seen you do screen shots before. Posting one of those would be sweet to show some of the differences....
Done, google earth screencap added below the 1969 aerial. I found a couple more significant differences. Look at the Americana diversion dam. And how about the Boise High track?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...8&postcount=31

Link goes to single post view.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 2:48 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawolf View Post
That sounds like something the the library would have on micro film. I'm shure the Statesman would have written something about it.
Found it. The library has a clippings folder so I didn't have to resort to microfilm. March 22, 1984;

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 3:25 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
Regarding the 1968 report, I'm amazed with the foresight they had back then and more so that we're still trying to get some of the things that were addressed back then completed. Damn suburbia...
I don't think it was suburbia as much as it was the local land owners of the day and everyone jockeying for their small piece of the land pie and being blind or indifferent to the bigger picture. Thus my trip to the Boise Library and the Idaho History Archives. It's quite complicated and involves a lot of players.

I offer up this bare bones synopsis. If I've made mistakes, forgive me. I will correct them when and if someone points them out to me.

First, the gravel pit ponds. That area was not in Boise City limits until annexation by city council in 1971. I believe it was 1971, that the City of Boise wanted to annex the gravel pits and apply new open space zoning. This was no doubt influenced by the 1968 Greenbelt Master Plan that I've already posted. I believe there was a compromise with the Quinn's. The Quinn's were given the light industrial zoning they wanted. They argued the proposed (by nearly everyone) open space zoning would put them out of business. That's probably true.

Anyway, the Quinn's were allowed to continue to operate for many years. I guess they remembered the favor and that's why they donated their portion of Esther Simplot park to the City all these years later.

And second; to the north, IDOT, State Parks and Rec (Veterans State Park) and the Old Soldier's Home preservation advocates (where are they now?) played a part in preventing any "Shoreline Boulevard" (aka the 30th St Extension). This part of the story is very complicated and requires much more research. The Statesman, then as now, is short on details.

Last edited by boisecynic; Apr 20, 2008 at 7:00 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 8:19 PM

^^^ That is some good historical information. I do have to say though with more of an investment into the downtown area instead of Meridian and Nampa, the magic price for buy-out and increased infastructure would have come long ago. It's all relative.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
Found it. The library has a clippings folder so I didn't have to resort to microfilm. March 22, 1984;

I just noticed this
Great find. I have never heard of this before.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 8:57 PM

Bikecynic or anyone else - Do you know where I can get a copy of this 1968 report? It may help us in our battle against Garden City and their bike ban.

Gary Segers
greenbeltbikeban{at}clearwire.net

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 9:40 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasyregs View Post
Bikecynic or anyone else - Do you know where I can get a copy of this 1968 report? It may help us in our battle against Garden City and their bike ban.

Gary Segers
greenbeltbikeban{at}clearwire.net
Gary, It's available at the Idaho History Archives, out by the old Pen. It's in the filing cabinets, under Boise Parks/Greenbelt. It's for viewing only, but I think the Librarian can make color copies for you.

It's also available in the reference section at the Boise Main Library, 3rd Floor. Hope this helps.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 6:05 PM
not a cynic

30th Street Extension Design Nearing Completion

Following link goes to all of ACHD related documents including giant PDFs which render to 14,000 pixel wide jpegs. Awesome aerials but hard on all but the fastest computers.

Note that all streets and alleys will connect with the new road and complete the grid.

2 duplexes and 2 houses will be lost between Woodlawn and Pleasanton and 3 houses lost at the south end of the current Rose Street. Of the surviving properties, the shotgun duplexes by the ITD seem to be getting the worst of it. Still under review is paving the dirt alley that runs along the Sand Creek Flume. This will be the new parking access to those properties. IOW, no curb cuts for driveway aprons will be allowed in front of those.

http://www.achdidaho.org/Projects/Pr...x?ProjectID=87

samples cropped and compressed:

South of Main:
No light at Fairview?

Last edited by boisecynic; Mar 24, 2011 at 3:39 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 4:17 PM
not a cynic

Don't forget to leave your comments:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/K7R5MNH

or

email: projects@achdidaho.org

The nimby's were there leaving multiple comments to NOT connect the streets to the new road. They want to leave them as dead ends, citing traffic problems. Dead ended streets at the edge of a boulevard is a monumentally bad idea for several reasons. I simply cannot understand the reasoning behind such an idea.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 6:38 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

I'm going to leave comments at that link and am in full support of this extension. The nimby's need to chill, why would they have to worry about more traffic on their residential streets when the purpose of the new extension is to direct traffic from State to Main and most likely increase their property values because of the new parks?!? 27th is going to have lanes taken away so people are going to avoid cutting through from 30th to 27th because of that reason. I think speed bumps should be built on 27th, similar to Ellis Street, after 30th is extended to further deter people from driving on 27th.

If I lived in that neighborhood I would be glad for the new boulevard because parts, not all, of that area has much to be desired, there are some areas that need to be bulldozed anyways because they are eye sores. A small section of that area is like Boise's little unknown ghetto.

This is a for sure thing isn't it Boisecynic set for 2013? I hope the nimbly nimblers don't postpone this!
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 8:21 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
I'm going to leave comments at that link and am in full support of this extension. The nimby's need to chill, why would they have to worry about more traffic on their residential streets when the purpose of the new extension is to direct traffic from State to Main and most likely increase their property values because of the new parks?!? 27th is going to have lanes taken away so people are going to avoid cutting through from 30th to 27th because of that reason. I think speed bumps should be built on 27th, similar to Ellis Street, after 30th is extended to further deter people from driving on 27th.

If I lived in that neighborhood I would be glad for the new boulevard because parts, not all, of that area has much to be desired, there are some areas that need to be bulldozed anyways because they are eye sores. A small section of that area is like Boise's little unknown ghetto.

This is a for sure thing isn't it Boisecynic set for 2013? I hope the nimbly nimblers don't postpone this!

It's a sure thing barring some kind of catastrophe.

I think people are worried about the volume of traffic. 27th has about 14,000 to 16,000 per day. About half of that will move over to the new road. So 7000 to 10000 per day. This is far less than Parkcenter. People just don't understand the numbers.

I don't see cross traffic increasing very much at all. It's not like the east/west streets actually go anywhere. By making them all connect no one street will have to suffer an inordinate burden. One thing ACHD could do is make them no left turn at rush hour like at Walnut and Warm Springs.

Regardless, don't underestimate the power of the nimbys.

Last edited by boisecynic; Jan 30, 2011 at 6:38 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 3:12 PM
not a cynic

To reduce clutter in the Boise projects thread, replying here instead:

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Of Trees View Post
Jefferson is a thru street between 17th and 23rd, and is a bit of a relic from its old days of feeding cars to 23rd when it was actually part of Highway 44. I don't know why it's still a thru street in that section, to be honest.

The one that I thought was getting more controversy these days is Pleasanton. It's a thru street from 27th to the end, and it's also the primary connection to the Greenbelt path where the new bridge was built going to Garden City. Personally, I'd be fine with making Pleasanton the thru street, perhaps with 4 way stops at 23rd and 27th, if it's needed.

27th is going to get narrowed to three lanes, which will greatly help with left turning there.

I'm also in complete agreement with the rest of you--I'm very glad they're not going to dead end cross streets. All this will do is make the few connected streets more painful for those who live on them.

Quote:
27th is going to get narrowed to three lanes, which will greatly help with left turning there.
The left turns I'm referring to are from the cross streets on to 27th and/or 30th since the issue is cut through traffic. However, those streets are so short that cut through traffic simply isn't an issue. There is very little through traffic except neighborhood residents and an occasional lost person. I live on one of those and more than half the time I use Idaho/Main to 27th or 23rd to get from downtown to my neighborhood. If cross traffic does become increased substantially, then left turns could be restricted.

The Pleasanton problem has been solved since there will be no park entrance whatsoever at Pleasanton/30th. So east/west wise, Stewart from 27th to the Extension will probably take the greatest new burden. This a actually pretty good planning. Stewart doesn't take off from State like Pleasanton, so drivers coming from the east on State will be encouraged to go all the way to ITD to make their approach to ES Park.

Some will likely turn left on 27th from State and then right on Stewart. But that will all have to be tweaked after the new road is in for a year or so.

Last edited by boisecynic; Feb 1, 2011 at 9:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 4:16 PM

The nimbys have to support the new park, if not they are lame.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 9:35 PM

Wow, I feel bad missing this thread the first time around. Great pictures to look at in here, good job!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 10:16 PM

We should figure out a way to get people in City Hall and the neighborhood associations around town interested in this forum. Anyone think Bieter ever ventures here? Maybe some of the people on the Design Review committee who resigned after JUMP was approved saw some of the remarks left at SSP.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 7:55 PM
not a cynic

Newest Boise River pedestrian bridge connecting West Downtown Boise with upper Garden City opened today:

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/0...lt-bridge.html

Pic from last November:

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 12:31 AM

cynic, how is the Greenbelt path on the Pleasanton side aligned now? When I last went there, it looked like the base of the bridge was going to be in the way of the original path. Have they done any new pavement to account for that?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 1:03 AM
not a cynic

The east end of the bridge is about 20 feet north of the existing Pleasanton Spur. So there's a dog leg. Greenbelt traffic is kind of screwed now, coming from the northwest it curves eastward to meet the bottom of the bridge ramp then doglegs back. I think the master plan calls for a smoothed out longer curve that will punch through the woods and onto the new fill they did last year in the NW corner of the pond.

The bridge is high enough to walk under where the greenbelt used to be but that will be for people carrying their kayaks back upstream to the wave.

Last edited by boisecynic; Mar 18, 2011 at 2:12 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 6:34 AM

Here is a rainy video of the inauguration of the new pedestrian bridge. Skip past the mayor's speech to about 1:20 for a ride through of the area. It's looking a little rough right now in spots, but with all the investment slated to occur in this area it is really going to end up being amazing.

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West