HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 11:07 PM
Exit 298

It reminds me of Farmington Station -- which was built upside down. The big box should be AWAY from the train station and the town center NEAR the train station, not vice versa.

Sooooo close. Sigh.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 11:25 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
It reminds me of Farmington Station -- which was built upside down. The big box should be AWAY from the train station and the town center NEAR the train station, not vice versa.

Sooooo close. Sigh.
This new one doesn't even have a train station to try to be oriented to, so it is only accessible by car. At least Farmington Station appears to be accessible by train, which in all reality it isn't.

I do agree though, Farmington Station was layout incorrectly, that is why I have always refereed to it as Transit Adjacent Development. It is definitely adjacent to transit but in no way is it oriented towards transit.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 12:24 AM

I see where Holladay is also finally starting to see some definite planning and action on the old Cottonwood Mall site and surrounding area. I like the new Larry Miller Luxury Theatre. I wonder if that might be similar to what they were talking about as part of the CCH.

Holladay undergoing growth with new development

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=43425950&ni...ew-development

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
These are the types of developments that make no sense to me. All they do is add more sprawl, congestion, and pollution. The Wasatch Front does not have the luxury to spread all over. The very nature of the mountains and associated climate should demand dense urban development over this kind of garbage.
That area's already sprawl though. The whole valley is nearly sprawled out with people, the last remnants being Herriman and western South Jordan, which are filling out quickly. I say let's just fill it out as quick as possible and start focusing on the only thing left ...building density and building up.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
This new one doesn't even have a train station to try to be oriented to, so it is only accessible by car. At least Farmington Station appears to be accessible by train, which in all reality it isn't.

I do agree though, Farmington Station was layout incorrectly, that is why I have always refereed to it as Transit Adjacent Development. It is definitely adjacent to transit but in no way is it oriented towards transit.
An extension of the TRAX Red line is planned to go right through the middle of the development in the future.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 5:46 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
An extension of the TRAX Red line is planned to go right through the middle of the development in the future.
Do we know where in the development? Is it literally right through the middle or is it on the edge like FrontRunner in Farmington? Hopefully they learned from Farmington Station and will put the Trax station in a strategic location.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Do we know where in the development? Is it literally right through the middle or is it on the edge like FrontRunner in Farmington? Hopefully they learned from Farmington Station and will put the Trax station in a strategic location.
Every article I've read on the subject, and the map from the public discussions, shows it going through the middle of the subject property.

This obviously isn't the final route, though:

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 10:06 PM
Exit 298

I sure hope that eventual Herriman-Riverton-Draper extension is LRT and not BRT. Being able to have a sort of "beltway" (without transfers) for TRAX would be invaluable.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post

I sure hope that eventual Herriman-Riverton-Draper extension is LRT and not BRT. Being able to have a sort of "beltway" (without transfers) for TRAX would be invaluable.
During the discussions, they had various alternatives, such as BRT, but LRT was the preferred outcome.

Also, what I initially heard was that the discussion was about preserving the corridor, but not building the line for up to 40 years, but then, my sister says a while later that they were saying that it would be built within 10 years. I think it will be built sooner than later, but I'm not sure that's what anyone at UTA or elsewhere actually said.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 10:44 PM

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 10:50 PM

I was thinking they should put the "lifestyle center" fronting 13400 with parking between it and the big box stores behind it. Same with the office buildings.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I was thinking they should put the "lifestyle center" fronting 13400 with parking between it and the big box stores behind it. Same with the office buildings.
Having parking separate the buildings is really disappointing.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
Having parking separate the buildings is really disappointing.
Separating the big box stores from the lifestyle center? I don't think so. The lifestyle center ought to be built right up to 13400 S, with parking behind it and then the big box stores behind that.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Separating the big box stores from the lifestyle center? I don't think so. The lifestyle center ought to be built right up to 13400 S, with parking behind it and then the big box stores behind that.
If you look at the rendering none of the buildings are built to the street level but are all wrapped by parking.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
If you look at the rendering none of the buildings are built to the street level but are all wrapped by parking.
I guess you're having some reading comprehension problems. I'm saying they OUGHT to build it with the lifestyle center up to the street, not that they are.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 8:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I guess you're having some reading comprehension problems. I'm saying they OUGHT to build it with the lifestyle center up to the street, not that they are.
Someone has an attitude problem...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 9:11 AM

I agree, it would be great if these suburban lifestyle centers would start out with the parking as both subterranean and stacked inconspicuously, like we see at CCC or even Gateway. That is often not the proven formula however, even here in a much more densely populated L.A. The good news is however that over time as these projects mature, blacktop is replaced with both height and strategically placed out-of-sight parking. The reason we see the buildings bunched together with the parking to the periphery, is to accommodate for future growth and density. Like most of us , I'm impatient, and would like to see these things evolve in my lifetime.

Artist aerial rendering of the Mountain View Village in Riverton. Image courtesy CenterCal Properties.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 22, 2017 at 9:30 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 3:29 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

If an outlying suburb of Cleveland Ohio can build a lifestyle center with structured parking, a booming suburb of Salt Lake City can definitely do it.

See Crocker Park, Westlake Ohio.

In other, somewhat more transit oriented development (at least in the present), earthwork has tarted on the SoSaLa Winco site. I think Winco will really be the catalyst for that entire block to redevelop.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:40 PM

The new Regal Movie theater in Taylorsville is open. The old theater across the street to the North has been torn down.

New luxury movie theater in Taylorsville touts comfort

http://www.sltrib.com/home/5067571-1...n-taylorsville

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
The new Regal Movie theater in Taylorsville is open. The old theater across the street to the North has been torn down.

New luxury movie theater in Taylorsville touts comfort

http://www.sltrib.com/home/5067571-1...n-taylorsville

I went there two weeks ago when they had $3 tickets, popcorn and drinks. I'm really excited for the theater and the luxury recliners! I know most theaters now have them, but there was one cool feature I hadn't seen yet. They all have cool rotating tables so you don't have to hold your popcorn or snacks that was a small detail that I really appreciated.

Next time you go to a movie, try the theater out, it's a great amenity for Taylorsville!

As far as the old showcase theater that was torn down, Taylorsville city has said that Texas Roadhouse plans to relocate to the space to there. I don't know the timeline, but I imagine we will see if go up within the next few years.

For those that have been to this area, you will probably notice there has some trouble getting traffic to the area. Chi Ku was a great pan-asian restaurant on the NW corner of 5400 S and Redwood that was only there for 6-12 months before closing down because of a lack of business. I think moving the Texas Roadhouse to the North side of the street will bring additional traffic that will spill over to the other restaurants within that entire shopping center.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West