HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 3:26 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
All the same, it's kind of humbling that Nashville - not a very impressive town - may be going through a comparable boom to ours. Puts things in perspective.
How is Nashville not an impressive town, though? They have done a lot over the years and becoming an important music town (and not just for Country anymore either) and how much it has changed over the years is quite impressive.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Thanks, random guy from Philadelphia, for that baseless guess tinged with maybe a slight shade of disdain on how many tower cranes Nashville currently has. I'll be sure to let my eyes and brain know that what they're witnessing is merely an illusion. Ha...I'm just fucking with you, of course, but it's true, hard as it is to believe even for me at times, that Nashville has 22 tower cranes (perhaps more now) dotting it's skyline. Nashville is in the midst of the largest urban boom in it's history, and I'm very excited about it. There are many more towers in the pipeline as well. That being said, one of the reasons there are so many cranes here probably has to do with the fact that we have *alot* of catching up to do in the urbanity department, especially when compared to cities like Philly. But we're making incredible strides everyday.

Anyway, Philadelphia just might be my favorite city in the nation and it just drips with an authentic cool factor that most cities (like Nashville) would kill for. The only reason I saw the above post was because I was bored, and decided to check out what was going down in my favorite city. Just wanted to make that correction. Keep up the good work guys. Can't wait to visit again.
It was never my intentions to talk bad on Nashville!! I promise!!!

I would just never associate Nashville with highrises or a ton of highrise construction and therefore am completely ignorant to what is going on there. That's quite amazing at the amount of activity there! I hope Nashville continues to see such positive growth as it is a great city!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 10:07 PM
Future God

nah nah no worries...i know you werent talking bad about it. I was attempting sarcasm but clearly it didnt land. hahaha...cheers mate.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 11:04 PM

University City HS Demo...not much left standing.

Untitled by A F, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 2:32 PM

I've been to Nashville several times. It's a great, fun city. But in no way does it compare to Philly. It's like the other side of trying to compare Philly (or really any other American city) to NYC. Nashville has a great little downtown but otherwise, it lacks the density and urbanity in the neighborhoods adjacent to downtown that we have in Philly. Case in point, their Fishtown (East Nashville/5 Points) looks like Levittown and yet it's right over the river from downtown. https://goo.gl/maps/Vmish

This is their hipster ground zero (their equivalent of Frankford and Girard): https://goo.gl/maps/y24o9

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I've been to Nashville several times. It's a great, fun city. But in no way does it compare to Philly. It's like the other side of trying to compare Philly (or really any other American city) to NYC. Nashville has a great little downtown but otherwise, it lacks the density and urbanity in the neighborhoods adjacent to downtown that we have in Philly. Case in point, their Fishtown (East Nashville/5 Points) looks like Levittown and yet it's right over the river from downtown. https://goo.gl/maps/Vmish

This is their hipster ground zero (their equivalent of Frankford and Girard): https://goo.gl/maps/y24o9
lol my hometown in montgomery county is 10x more urban

we're spoiled here in philly

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 5:12 PM
Future God

But who's trying to compare Nashville to Philadelphia? Who are you defending Philadelphia from? What's with the completely unprovoked little jabs at Nashville? I don't get it. It doesn't even bother me. It's just really strange.

If it makes you feel any better, any Nashvillian on this board would tell you without a second thought that yes, Philadelphia, the city that already had 100,000 people the year Nashville was incorporated as a place is FAR more urban, and in a whole other league in general. No question about it.

For the record, not that it would be the southern version of The East Village had this not happened, but most of East Nashville was completely destroyed in 1916 by a major flood and the fires that resulted, and strange as it is, it never really started recovering until within the past decade or so.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 5:20 PM

Quote:

I don't think anyone was comparing the two cities and the only reason it came up was the number of tower cranes currently in place in Nashville. The current square footage under construction in Nashville vs. Philadelphia could be interesting info but not the built environments themselves.

BNA, I'v never been to Nashville but everyone I know who has been there does nothing but heap praise on it.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 5:52 PM

INTECH construction crews are inside (and sitting outside) the old Elephant & Castle on 18th Street now - so I think it's safe to assume that the conversion to Ruth's Chris Steak House has begun. Another nice addition to the Market St area that will bring night life activity. The Misconduct Tavern, a stones throw away on 18th and JFK opened on 8/17 ...and has been packed every night I've walked by.

I'm surprised there isn't an Iron Hill or some other local brew pub close by here - esp. since Nodding Head moved out on Sansom. -just a random thought.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 6:21 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I don't think anyone was comparing the two cities and the only reason it came up was the number of tower cranes currently in place in Nashville. The current square footage under construction in Nashville vs. Philadelphia could be interesting info but not the built environments themselves.

BNA, I'v never been to Nashville but everyone I know who has been there does nothing but heap praise on it.
That's cool, and I appreciate that. I don't even care if people like it or not really, though...I mean, I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. I just wanted to make it clear that Nashville definitely DOES NOT see itself as on the same playing field as Philadelphia. haha

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post

Agreed. I hope my post wasn't what made you (BNA) think that we were ragging on Nashville. As I said, I've been to Nashville several times (going again later this year) and really enjoy it the food, the atmosphere, and its southern charm. When I said it doesn't compare to Philly, I meant it literally, you can't compare the two, it's apples and oranges.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 7:27 PM
Future God

Quote:
Agreed. I hope my post wasn't what made you (BNA) think that we were ragging on Nashville. As I said, I've been to Nashville several times (going again later this year) and really enjoy it the food, the atmosphere, and its southern charm. When I said it doesn't compare to Philly, I meant it literally, you can't compare the two, it's apples and oranges.
Awesome...glad to hear you've enjoyed your time there! If you need any recommendations, let me know! And I completely agree with you that it's difficult to compare two cities that are so different.

In any case, I apologize if I've taken this thread off course a bit. I didn't mean to make a big deal out of it. I know that residents of some southern cities have a, shall we say, over-inflated sense of importance when it comes to their cities, and I just wanted to reiterate that Nashvillians, generally, are not among those that do. haha

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 4:51 PM

Bainbridge townhouse developer files for bankruptcy: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...ankruptcy.html

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 7:49 PM

22nd and Walnut, Van Pelt houses updates:

[IMG]Untitled by screennameLLC, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 9:44 PM

1924 Arch - 1900 Arch expansion - 11 floors
Residential & retail. Nearing completion.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 9:49 PM

Walnut Estates - 22nd and Walnut - 6 floors - condo & retail

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 9:58 PM

The Hub II - 3939 Chestnut - residential & retail - 7 floors

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 10:06 PM

Penn New College House at Hill Square - residential - 7 floors

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 10:07 PM

The Study Hotel at University City - 10 floors

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 10:13 PM

Dalian on the Park -22nd and Pennsylvania Ave - 10 floors

Last edited by summersm343; Sep 3, 2015 at 1:53 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development