HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 3:35 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Yea. Unfortunately, I don't get much of a chance to read the Tuscaloosa News. Stupid band...

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Oct 21, 2008, 6:12 PM
Roll Tide

Dynasty Park is a nice idea, but the design needs some work. It presents a surface parking lot to the critical stadium side. Not classy.
"It's no longer the 'enviro crazies who are questioning sprawl. It's God-fearing, red-meat-eating, conservative Republican county executives and town supervisors who are saying, 'Wait a minute. We can't afford this anymore.' '' - Robert Yaro

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 7:11 PM

It appears the Riverwalk is finally coming together.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl..._begins_to_gel

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 3:54 PM

Quote:
It appears the Riverwalk is finally coming together.
Thanks for the article. It's been pretty slow in coming about, but I'm glad to see the dirt moving. The old Tuscaloosa Motor Company site next to it is still for sale, and will be key to the whole downtown riverfront area, as is the city-owned "Cityfest block" that's currently used just as surface parking.

Another article on downtown development (not much new, new courthouse still waiting for full funding):
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...NEWS/811090205

Latest on the proposed Bryant-Denny expansion :
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl..._see_expansion

Although the details haven't been finalized, it sounds like they do plan to top 100,000 seats and have a proposed budget of $80.6 million.
"Unofficially," the rumor I've heard is that the target is the 2010 season.

I haven't seen any sign of activity with the Dynasty Park project.
I wonder if they're waiting until the stadium expansion is definite to initiate pre-sales ?

EDIT ::: Bryant-Denny update with rendering:
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...01_000_in_2010

Last edited by DruidCity; Nov 14, 2008 at 3:43 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 4:50 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I dunno what's goin on. Everytime I drive down Wallace Wade, I always notice the big void where there is nothing. I don't think they're waiting for the endzone expansion, cause, no matter way, over 100,000 people are gonna come into town each Saturday. I think they're probably just getting permits and crap.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 4:11 PM
Closed account

Bama Stadium Expansion Approved

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) - Its football team ranked No. 1 and with
fans clamoring for more tickets, University of Alabama trustees
voted Thursday to move ahead with plans for an $81 million
expansion of Bryant-Denny Stadium.
The project, which would increase the stadium's capacity by
about 9,000 seats to more than 101,000, would be funded with a bond
issue, but officials said there is no firm timetable for the work.
A trustee committee approved an artist's rendering of the
project, which would add upper deck seats, skyboxes, group areas,
offices, video screens and concourse areas to the south end zone,
creating a near-mirror image of an expansion completed two years
ago.
The full board is expected to approve the project Friday, but
Lane said still more votes will be needed before the expansion plan
is final.
The north end zone was enlarged to increase the capacity of
Bryant-Denny to 92,138 before the 2006 season.

http://www.wkrg.com/local/article/ba...pproved/20917/

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 12:41 AM
Cat Enthusiast

So, I was attempting to unsuccessfully navigate through rush hour traffic in Tuscaloosa the other day... anyways, I had to go back to my dorm cause I forgot something. I took 10th Ave and when I got to Bryant Dr, it looked like they'd already started the expansion process!!!! I was absolutely giddy!

Anyways, the Bryant Dr streetscape improvement is already finished and looks fantastic, the new expansion should compliment it nicely.

EDIT:

Just checked the University's website. Looks like it's just for utility work, what I saw. But, *crosses fingers* maybe it's to make room for the expansion.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 5:35 AM
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabadrock View Post

EDIT:

Just checked the University's website. Looks like it's just for utility work, what I saw. But, *crosses fingers* maybe it's to make room for the expansion.
It should begin soon. The boring office work for the expansion is underway.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 1:57 PM

I've been away from town since Thanksgiving, and just trying to catch back up here.

I did see that the Dynasty Park project is still planned, but now projected to open in 2011.

The Allen-Jemison building downtown will be demolished. My grandfather worked there when he first moved to Tuscaloosa in the 1910s.
I was surprised nobody could find a use for it.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 8:47 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Some video I took of the flooding in Tuscaloosa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFRPc...e=channel_page

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 7:33 AM
---

Good news for The Booth fans...

Quote:
TUSCALOOSA | The Tuscaloosa City Council cleared the way for The Booth, a lounge that served as a favorite watering hole for students during a 25-year run on the University Strip, to be reborn in downtown Tuscaloosa.

The Tuscaloosa City Council voted to grant a Downtown/Riverfront Overlay District permit to Downtown Entertainment LLC, doing business as The Booth. The bar will be in a former auto repair shop at 504 21st Avenue.

The council also granted overlay permits to 1831 Bar at 2304 Fourth St., a lounge in the former location of Johnny's Pub and Grub, and to Capstone Bank at 2301 University Blvd. for a major addition to its bank building.

The Booth will be in a building that formerly housed part of Campbell's Body Shop. Its opening will come as the city conducts major street and utility work on 21st Avenue.

'There's going to be a lot torn up around you for about a year,' Councilman Lee Garrison said. 'You need to understand that.'

Mayor Walt Maddox also warned that the construction could have a major impact on the business. The contractor has 365 days to complete the project and the scope of work will be similar to that performed on Paul W. Bryant Drive, he said.

The owners originally proposed a sidewalk café. But city staff members recommended against it. They felt the sidewalk wasn't wide enough there and forcing pedestrians around the tables and chair might create a safety hazard.

The 2,200-square-foot building will feature two large doors that can be rolled up to give the bar an open-air feel. But a railing will be installed so that customers cannot go in and out of the roll-up doors. They will be required to use the main entrance.

A permit was required because a business with a Class I lounge liquor license is a conditional use in the Downtown/Riverfront Overlay District and must have council approval. Also, council approval is required for any project in the district that requires more than $10,000 in renovation. The owners will invest about $200,000 in the building, architect Rex Veron said.

A lounge in the overlay district cannot be closer than 50 feet to another business with the same type of license and there may be no more than one lounge per block in the overlay district. The Booth meets that requirement.

When the Tuscaloosa Planning and Zoning Commission approved the permit, it required the owners to paint the south wall, which will be facing the city's new park, either with a mural or the same color as the masonry on the front of the building. Planning Commission members did not want the wall painted white.

'I don't want to get into the great mural debate tonight, but I think a solid color would be better,' Maddox said. 'It might look great now but what about five years down the road.'

The owners hope to open The Booth in time for the University of Alabama's spring football game on April 18.

In November 2006, the original The Booth on the Strip closed.

Architect Mike Ellis said Capstone Bank plans to demolish a 1992 addition to its stately, marble-clad bank building on University Boulevard, formerly Security Bank, and the bank's drive-through. A 15,000-square-foot brick building, which will serve as the bank's corporate headquarters, will replace it.

Ellis said the architecture in keeping with its surroundings and will feature a decorative, wrought iron balcony.

The bank's drive-through will be relocated to its rear with an entrance off Sixth Street. A small building will be constructed for the drive-through teller.

The 1831 Bar required no major renovation, but council approval was necessary because it is a lounge in the overlay district.
Link

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 7:26 PM

Quote:
The Booth will be in a building that formerly housed part of Campbell's Body Shop. Its opening will come as the city conducts major street and utility work on 21st Avenue.
I watched the city council meeting, and the mayor said the 21st Avenue improvement project is similiar in scope to what the city did with Bryant Drive and probably close to $10 million worth of work (including the new park area on part of the planned Federal Building property) .

Other bits :

The riverfront amphitheater will have 6,500 seats, and is being financed by a $17-million city bond.

Wintzell's will replace Steamers on the river in Northport.

A new Chicago-style hot dog place will go in the Junior League building downtown (next to Chuck's Fish).

Both the YMCA building and the FOCUS senior citizen buildings are expected to be sold, when they move to a new downtown location.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 9:14 PM
---

What's is the reasoning behind 21st? Seems random but I guess it will tie in with the Fed building. It will give us nice areas with Queens City, 21st and Greensboro -- hopefully the areas in the middle will fill in nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruidCity View Post
A new Chicago-style hot dog place will go in the Junior League building downtown (next to Chuck's Fish).
That's good to know. I was thinking about something going there as I walked by for lunch today.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
What's is the reasoning behind 21st? Seems random but I guess it will tie in with the Fed building.
Yes, I think that's exactly it. The city was going to have to do some infrastructure work to prepare for the new building, anyway.

I wonder what will become of McFarland Mall, now that the main anchors are gone ? Anyone hearing any rumors about possible replacements for Circuit City in Midtown ?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrical Porpoise View Post
What's is the reasoning behind 21st? Seems random but I guess it will tie in with the Fed building. It will give us nice areas with Queens City, 21st and Greensboro -- hopefully the areas in the middle will fill in nicely.
The city is trying to make 21st Avenue the main north-south road through the eastern part of downtown, along with deprecating Queen City Avenue down to a local road. It's a better fit for the job, too, as it's wider and doesn't have houses on it.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 9:40 AM
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
The city is trying to make 21st Avenue the main north-south road through the eastern part of downtown, along with deprecating Queen City Avenue down to a local road. It's a better fit for the job, too, as it's wider and doesn't have houses on it.
That makes a lot of since, thanks. With the Bryant renovation it should make a nice loop with 21st providing a pretty middle to it. Its a lot easier to build within an area when you have a structured plan...glad to see them do it.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 11:01 PM
Cat Enthusiast

http://blog.al.com/bamabeat/2009/02/...ht_bryant.html

The U of A Board of Trustees is expected to "green light" the Bryant-Denny Expansion this week.

The expansion is expected to expand student seating, which is something that hasn't been done in a long time.

The project will use no public tax dollars. Only revenue from ticket sales will go into this project.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 9:46 PM
Roll Tide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrical Porpoise View Post
Good news for The Booth fans...

Link
Ah the good old Booth. That was our fraternity's favorite hole in the wall bar... good times.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 4:13 AM

It's worth noting that the new Innisfree and new Booth will flank the new Federal Courthouse block. For years, the university strip and downtown's Temerson Square were pretty much the main bar areas in town, but these new ones are pretty much halfway in between.

Also, according to WVUA7 TV tonight, the city is planning to preserve 1,800 acres around lakes Nicol and Harris as park land. Although people use the lakes already, it's good to see it officially protected as such for future generations. This will be the city's largest park.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 8:38 PM
---

** Stadium expansion approved.

The proposed project would take place in four phases:
1) utility relocation;
2) demolition of existing structure;
3) audio/visual upgrade;
4) stadium expansion.

Those phases are outlined in detail below:
Utility Relocation

* New capacity for storm water, sanitary sewer, and domestic water to support the South End Zone expansion and clear corridors by relocating and re-routing utilities.

Demolition

* Demolishing concrete pavement and removing abandoned utilities and the scoreboard on the south side of the stadium.

Audio/Visual Upgrade

* Demolition of existing audio/visual equipment at several locations in the stadium, and installation of a new distributed sound system; audio/visual system installation; exterior sound system installation; broadcast cabling; television replacement; speaker replacement on concourse level; installation of a new television distribution system.

Stadium Expansion

* 8,500 Upper Deck seats
* 1,700 South Zone Club seats
* Upper concourse with concessions and restrooms
* 36 skyboxes
* Crimson Tide Foundation offices
* Donors Hall of Fame
* Outdoor market for food and merchandise
* 2 corner video boards

Rolltide.com

Street to be named after Stallings’ son

Quote:
BIRMINGHAM | University of Alabama trustees approved the renaming of Fourth Street East on campus after John Mark Stallings.

The son of former Crimson Tide football coach Gene Stallings,

46-year-old “Johnny” Stallings was born with Down syndrome. The Stallingses were influential donors and supporters of the Rise Center on campus, which provides day care and preschool for children with special needs. Fourth Street East runs in front of the center.

The younger Stallings died Aug. 2.

‘“He lived and breathed Alabama football and loved ‘the little kids’ at the Rise program as well of his hundreds of friends,” wrote Rise director Martha Cook in a letter to trustees. “I cannot think of a better tribute to Johnny. He was a tremendous role model for all of us.”

Johnny Stallings Drive will soon be the main drive to the new home of the Capstone College of Nursing, which is about to begin construction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast