HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 2:34 PM
Houston:Considered Good

What do you like about Miami?

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 6:48 PM

That giant mass of supertalls and the fact that it is only growing. Lots of girls here in the South love Miami and think it's fun, I've never been despite having a lot of family in Florida. The skyline right along the waterfront is majestic, one of the best in the country and getting better.

Of course, I think that, very soon, it needs to start working on some cozier, European-style neighborhoods because it can't really feel homey when you just have suburbs and skyscrapers. I'd like to see the leadership there look to that as a new direction for future development. The raw capitalist vibe is tons of fun but everywhere in the south needs to work on more "old-world" style city building because we really have so much distinct culture to draw from. Look to New Orleans/Savannah/Charleston for inspiration.

The CNU just held its last conference in Miami and Richard Florida (of the Atlantic Cities) liked the fact that it has the densest neighborhood south of NYC, but felt that it was missing that kind of "neighborhood-building," which gives a lasting sense of place.
To reiterate, I'm not saying that I don't like it, I'm just saying that I'd like to see another style of development also being taken, as an alternative for the future and to give it more soul. Because they have the resources.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 8:13 PM

I personally like the weather, traffic, and girls. Summers arent bad for me.
I think the architecture here has been very bland for a long time coming......The building boom hardly brought us any exciting designs, instead driven by how many units can we cram in on a floor. Very few buildings here really invoke any thought or creativity. Exception being the new arts museum. Marlins Stadium is different but thats becuase the owner wanted something that looked miami and not another camden yards. Finally Curtain wall and steel frame buildings are making a comeback in this town.

Of course I know we have plenty of talented design professionals, but at the end of the day it all comes down to what the end user wants to spend.
I agree we need to focus less on the glitz and glamour and make communities more neighborhoodly. Perfect examples are wynwood and morningside come to mind.

I would also like to see metrorail extended to north dade along the biscayne corridor. That would be awesome.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Actually, South Florida is getting more extremely overcrowded. That's why I am no longer visit in South Florida. Too many cruise passengers. They took on the cruise trip. There is more than 5 millions people who went to/from Port Everglades & Port of Miami as well. There is more than 6 cruise ships came at Port Everglades for every week. I am aware of cruise passengers who flew in at FLL/MIA & PBI as well. They took on cruise bus from the entire terminal. Due to the traffic congestion in downtown Miami. Right now, they already constructed new Port Tunnel from I-395 to Port of Miami. When it will completely. Because it was too many traffic in downtown Miami. Too many buses, trucks, cab, limos as well.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 9:42 PM
BANNED

Stylish looks
hip-hop influence
Sleek mansions and high rise condos and apartments.
reflective glass buildings.
beautiful biscayne bay and all of beautiful water
hot cars, women and more.

I Truly hope miami continues to be stylish.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 10:48 PM
Honored Member

I like the fact that this huge skyline is still growing even as I post this picture. Also, it doesn't get very cold in the winter.

DSC_0644 by QuantumX, on Flickr
[B][I]"I'm going to bet you that [U]when we're done [/U]-- [U]I don't know when that will be [/U]-- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner 05/22/05[/I][/B]

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 9:48 PM

The beach, that's about it. To warm for me in the winter, but lots of great people down there. The water is gorgeous!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 8:35 PM
BANNED

Super stylish.
we need miami to be even stylish then ever before.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 1:33 AM

The food, the Bay & Ocean, the skyline and the tropical plant life. That's about it.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 7:02 PM

Off the top of my head, the culture, natural location, growing skyline, diversity, density, sports teams, urban neighborhoods, growing mass transit options, etc.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast