HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 6:23 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

That's what I'm trying to do. American skylines have become a little outdated. I LOVE La Defense, Canary Wharf, Frankfurt's downtown. European skylines are some of the finest out there. Sure there are other beautiful skylines like Shanghai, Seattle, Sydney, but European skylines have a classy taste to it. And every building, from old to new, looks like it was well made and not with cheap glass and materials.

That is why I think more "European Architecture" should be introduced to the US. And you can make one tall building in "Europe style" but you really have to start with the inside of a city to transform it.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 11:11 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

This is great! As others have said it's a pity it doesn't stand out a bit more.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 3:45 PM

waiting for your next building...

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 5:49 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

A height increase would make the building look weird. From the front it's too fat so it would block off a lot of sun. From the sides it's too thin, it would look extremely skinny. This building only takes up half a block and was meant to be that way. The other half is a fat, bulky 1980's building.

The site of this building is the old Seattle Sheraton which is also an ugly 1980's box. This new building would open up space and the clear glass will let some light shine through.

Thanks a lot guys! If it was somewhere else I'd design it to be bigger!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 8:14 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Solaria|365 ft|29 floors|Residential

Solaria is my latest project for Seattle and was designed to bring more families into the downtown core instead of just couples or single adults. The project also had luxury in minds. While many residential buildings downtown offer 'luxury', the only one that looks, and offers it that comes to mind is 5th and Madison. This building was meant to give residents a sense of luxury and look luxurious at the same time.

Solaria would become one of the thinnest skyscrapers in the city at 365 ft tall with a footprint of just 6336 square feet.

Since the building is sandwiched between two historic buildings, they were taken into consideration when the tower was being designed. Each unit has floor-to-ceiling windows allowing light to enter the structure. This also offers amazing views and remote-controlled curtains can be opened or closed as a resident pleases.

The first two floors include the lobby, gym, theater, pool and private spa while the valet is underground as well as the parking.

The first 12 floors after that are 1 bedroom units, each facing either West or East. Since part of the building is between the historic structures, some units only have one set of windows instead of two.

The next 12 floors after that contain 2 bedroom units, each taking up half of a floor.

Then 2 units follow, each taking up an entire floor. Above that there are private decks for the two last units (each unit gets a deck). These decks take up a large amount of the roof and the library is located here.

Random shots:

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 6:36 PM
World Machine

Very well planned, and it blends / fits very nicely with the skyline. It’s not trying to do too much but just serves its purpose with some simple style. The floor to ceiling windows really makes the building in my opinion; anything but that and the façade would be too boring.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 9:11 PM
Closed account

Nicley done. It looks like you took time and planned it well.Goes nice with skyline!

Nice job!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 9:41 PM

Good design but feels a bit empty and very neutral

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 4:10 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Very well planned, and it blends / fits very nicely with the skyline. It’s not trying to do too much but just serves its purpose with some simple style. The floor to ceiling windows really makes the building in my opinion; anything but that and the façade would be too boring.
thankksss! i actually planed it to be simple. i love seattle and its humble little wood houses, but i think we need class! when i was designing this building i wanted something modern, simple, classy. and i couldnt get it right, then i saw a render of a proposed building in philly and it inspired me! but when i did my first model it looked like a straight up copy of the philly proposal so i began to change the design. then i thought of NY (trump world tower to be specific) and the black, classy skyscrapers. and walla! solaria was born!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule View Post
Nicley done. It looks like you took time and planned it well.Goes nice with skyline!

Nice job!
thanks! i didnt want something too 'explosive' (if you know what i mean) disrupting the skyline, and i also didnt want something bland and forgettable. i tried to designed it so it just 'flows'

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota74 View Post
Good design but feels a bit empty and very neutral
yeah, i didnt spend much time on details. it was originally meant so that i could place it on google earth and thats why i kept details to a minimum.

my next building will have much more details! heres a little sneak peek. unedited and bland for now. i want to try to photoshop it into a real picture instead of a google earth snapshot.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 5:11 AM
Desert Dweller

I really like the atrium on the right facade!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 8:53 PM

Looks good sofar,

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 11:07 PM

wow that looks excellent Aleks! Sweet angle in that last shot too. You've managed to incorporate the buildings with the terrain very nicely.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 8:32 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

5th and Jackson

5th and Jackson is my latest project, I didn't do any skyline shots, but i did A LOT of renderings.

-5th & Jackson
-135 ft tall
-Office
-9 floors
-3 underground parking

The building is located on 5th and Jackson, close to many important community and office buildings. Union Station and the International District Lightrail station are both situated across the street. This connects people from downtown as MLK/Seatac. Many local grocery stores and restaurants are also located nearby. To the West Pioneer Square is located, just a few blocks down. The South/East is the International District. North we have Downtown.

The buildings design was inspired by its location, new safety standards and the environment. The X-bracing eliminates columns in the office area and reduces the size of the cores. They wrap around the building to support the structure. There are 3 X-braces stacked on top of each other; in Chinese the number 3 sounds similar to the character for birth; and the same, this building would bring new birth to this area.

Along 5th avenue there are 8 braces, a number widely considered lucky in Asian countries. The number 8 symbolizes prosperity and wealthiness.

There are 9 stories above ground. Each floor has a ceiling-to-floor height of 10 ft and a floor-to-floor height of 13'6". In addition, nine is a lucky number in the Chinese community, symbolizing longlasting.

The buildings main entrances are located in the middle on the structure. An atrium cuts through the building North-South. The atrium is 3 floors tall with a central plaza and 2 staircases leading from Jackson to Main st.

On the atrium ceiling there are two dragons located. The Red dragon on the South half faces inwards towards yet another atrium which runs up, through the building. While the North dragon faces South and is a golden color.

5th and Jackson also took the environment into the design. The roof is covered with solar panels which provide energy to the building. Water is stored in a 200,000 gallon tank located underneath the parking. Windows are coated with special glazing which change over seasons to minimize ultra violet rays from the sun and heat in the building. During hot summer months water is pumped up the cores which is then distributed throughout the building to cool it down and then re enters the underground tank. Floor-to-ceiling windows allow as much light as possible. Other things such as LED lights, recycled metal, carpeting and minimal water usage bathrooms also reduce the buildings impact. An automated window washing system uses little water and can fit though the space between the windows and braces.

There is another entrance on 5th Avenue which allows handicap people to enter the building safely and ensured that they can access the main plaza with ease. At night the atrium is lit up and LED lights along the sides of the building light up the street to allow pedestrians and employees to feel safe.

thanks for looking! i hope you read my long explanation!

PS: If anyone can tell me why i'm getting those stupid white splotches i'll love you for the rest of my 6 lives.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 9:17 AM

Very nice design, elegant and finely detailed. I like your logic in the design explanation, lots of 'good luck' and fengshui involved in this. I like how you've detailed the X bracing at the corners. Pretty unique design.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 10:09 PM

That is amazing!

I have to ask, what settings are you using for the glass? I can never get good glass.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 10:29 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krases View Post
I have to ask, what settings are you using for the glass? I can never get good glass.
Seconded.

And excellent... well, everything.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 1:13 AM

This building is just superb! its simple and will fit any urban environment in my IMO... just nitpicking here but I wished you didn't make the glass too opaque coz it makes the building look empty... but I love all the feng shui and symbolisms that went in into the design process... beautiful!

http://burjdubai91.deviantart.com/

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 8:01 AM

Simple, yet beautiful and elegant design and great renders! Like Burj said the windows are a bit too transparent, so the emptiness of the interior is a bit too visible. Great job, nonetheless!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 3:39 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Holy cow! More amazing work from Aleks! Sheesh, it's been too long since I visited the Sketchup thread it seems.

I love the design, I so wish we could get something like that built here in Boise. But alas, our citizens are far too conservative for that. Still, wonderful work!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 5:44 PM
World Machine

Beautiful design Aleks; clearly a lot of thought and creativity went into this. I like the incorporation of the building at street level.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup