HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 11:25 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Whether you call it a "tax" or not, Liquor store markup all goes into the governments bank account.
Pauline needs to make up some fiscal shortfalls in one way or another, might as well be at the expense of the booze swilling segment of the electorate!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 1:43 AM
I am a typical

Except for Sunday, none of the alcohol retailers in Thunder Bay close before 9pm. If they close at 6pm in London, that is London's problem, not the LCBOs.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 2:41 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Except for Sunday, none of the alcohol retailers in Thunder Bay close before 9pm. If they close at 6pm in London, that is London's problem, not the LCBOs.
It's definitely a problem with the LCBO's model. In the town I grew up in (15k people) the grocery store was open til 9 and Shoppers til 12, but the LCBO shut down at 6 most weekdays (4pm on Sundays). Meanwhile the agency store in the next town over (smaller population) was open til 10pm. In Ottawa there is only one LCBO in the whole City open later than 9pm on a Friday or Saturday night!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 2:58 AM
The Vomit Bag.

why do i even bother anymore?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 5:30 AM

Really just wish they could find a way to expand the beer selection. That's really the biggest issue I have with it. I'm actually closer to both a beer store, and an LCBO, where I live, than I am to a convenience store.

I would just like to be able to buy reasonably priced US and Canadian microbrews.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 12:04 PM

It's about respect!

The average Canadian adult will spend more than $85 on booze in December, which translates to about one bottle of spirits, three bottles of wine and 27 bottles of beer, according to the BMO Holiday Spirits report.

I heard a quote on the news last night. Something about the LCBO does not bring in the profits, the taxes do.

This is a big debate lately and I just think it would be nice for the local breweries, wineries, distributors and lastly local businesse can participate on a more on open market or playing field. Ask any micro brewery if they can sell their products in the privately owned BEER STORE here in Ont.

No, only at the LCBO, the two big INTERNATIONAL owners make it very expensive to break into the beer market. Talk about suppressing the competition. Which are your neighbors.

Jerry Agar CFRB, had an neat analogy closing arguement imagine it other products like toys were marketed like this.

Dare I mention less pollution with walking to the corner store. More exercise walking depending on your level of consumption.

Just let some of the monopoly be shared by the private sector.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 4:36 PM
Mooderator

I was at Costco in Gatineau this weekend. Walking from the parking lot I saw a guy load his f-150 with about 10 cases of heineken (ontario plates), some old granny with a 60-can Coors light case (ontario plates), two younger college looking types with a shopping cart full of about 4 24's of Rickard's Tasters selection (ontario plates).

In the store, one in three of the shopping carts in the line ups have a case of beer in them, and I'll bet dollars to donuts they're visiting from Ottawa.

Think of how Costco would have to adjust their booze inventory if suddenly prices were in line with Ontario?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 5:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^maybe not at all, b/c apparently it is a London problem, not an Ontario/LCBO problem according to our noted expert in all things.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 2:19 AM

Free the beer

Ontario corner stores start petitions to free the beer and let them sell beer and wine!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 1:40 AM
I am a typical

The corner store down the street from me got robbed again. I wonder how much more frequently it would get robbed if it sold alcohol.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 3:28 AM

Quote:
The corner store down the street from me got robbed again. I wonder how much more frequently it would get robbed if it sold alcohol.
Chances are, the cashier would end up behind bars. Not jail, but behind bars in his own store to protect himself. The gas station closest to my apartment is in a somewhat high-crime area, and the cashier and his cigarette cartons there are protected.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 9:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I fucking hate the Beer Store. Part of a wider plot to destroy Canadian-branded Beer. And of course, to provide the world's worst retailing experience for beer drinkers.

http://www.torontostandard.com/the-s...he-beer-cartel

http://beerstoresucks.blogspot.ca/

http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2012..._why_it_sucks/

http://www.united-nations-of-beer.co...#axzz2WhOipxDd

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...re_cartel.html

Middle of summer...and it closes at 6pm on a wednesday. Jesus fucking christ.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I fucking hate the Beer Store. Part of a wider plot to destroy Canadian-branded Beer. And of course, to provide the world's worst retailing experience for beer drinkers.

http://www.torontostandard.com/the-s...he-beer-cartel

http://beerstoresucks.blogspot.ca/

http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2012..._why_it_sucks/

http://www.united-nations-of-beer.co...#axzz2WhOipxDd

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...re_cartel.html

Middle of summer...and it closes at 6pm on a wednesday. Jesus fucking christ.
Last Saturday I returned some beer cans to my local Beer Store, and thought I'd try and buy some more beer. They didn't have any of the ones I asked for, so I walked out and bought them at the LCBO (which I have to drive to). Same Beer Store sometimes has only one employee even at busy times on a Saturday. Walked out one time when I grew tired of waiting to return some empties and nobody was there to serve the people with 200 bottles in front of me.

I despise The Beer Store as much as you, MolsonExport. I often only buy from the LCBO, but I still go into The Beer Store just to return empties.

It would be so much more convenient to pick up beer at Loblaws when I'm doing groceries. But our government doesn't trust us enough to buy beer from a Canadian-owned supermarket rather than a foreign-owned monopoly.

In Kingston, by the way, all of the Beer Stores are ancient on the outside and inside, and all but two of them still has the orange logo from the 1980s. I would speculate that Kingston hasn't had a new Beer Store open in at least 25 years. None of them are self-serve, though a couple locations have a self-serve tallboy can cooler which does offer some lesser-known Canadian beers.

Last edited by manny_santos; Jun 19, 2013 at 11:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 3:02 AM
I am a typical

In Thunder Bay, the Beer Store closes at 9pm and the mall closes at 6pm.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 6:59 AM

In Timmins, one of our beer stores is open until 10pm Monday to Saturday and until 5pm on Sunday. The others have shorter hours. But they ALL still have the orange signs and have not at all been changed. None are self-serve.

I too really hate The Beer Store and avoid it. I always pick up beer when I'm at Loblaws or IGA in Rouyn-Noranda. At home I only buy from the LCBO. Many LCBOs in our region sell full cases of beer.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 2:09 PM
I am a typical

Don't really see why they can't just expand the franchised LCBO concept into Southern Ontario. While they're not Beer Stores, they can sell beer, as there are often no Beer Store in the villages and towns they serve. Shopping at some of the larger rural stores is like going to an American general store, all the alcohol is right out in the open.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Don't really see why they can't just expand the franchised LCBO concept into Southern Ontario. While they're not Beer Stores, they can sell beer, as there are often no Beer Store in the villages and towns they serve. Shopping at some of the larger rural stores is like going to an American general store, all the alcohol is right out in the open.
There are some franchised LCBO stores scattered around Southern Ontario, but they're all in rural areas. I believe Verona, north of Kingston, has one. Sometimes, The Beer Store and LCBO franchises are both in the same store.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 7:57 PM

Macs to build stores and 170 jobs.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 8:02 PM

Success in Alberta 20?yrs after.

Private liquor sales in Alberta have been a success
A+
BY MARK MILKE, THE PROVINCE SEPTEMBER 8, 2013
Twenty years ago, the Alberta government swiftly and boldly threw open Alberta's markets in beer, wine and spirits. The result has been a success story of intense competition, added convenience and thousands of new jobs.

Other provincial governments have never imitated the Alberta accomplishment. But that has much to do with local politics and mythmaking from vested interests, not facts.

In early September 1993, Alberta announced it would privatize its government liquor stores. It did so with remarkable speed. The province owned 202 government liquor stores on the day privatization was announced; the first store was shut just two days later. By Christmas, two-thirds of the government shops were closed or sold (in some cases, to government employees). The last Alberta government liquor store was out of business by early March 1994, just six months after the initial announcement.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
As much as I'm in full favour of expanding choice for consumers, I'm curious about how many new jobs would actually be created if alcohol were allowed to be sold at Mac's. Wouldn't there be job losses at the Beer Store and LCBO too as sales drop at those two stores? The jobs argument seems to be a red herring to cover up the real benefit to Mac's (increased sales), and I'd rather see emphasis on consumer choice and supporting locally owned businesses instead of a foreign-owned monopoly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario