HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Hudson Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Detroit Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 12:08 AM

Keep the hotel tower and the wintergarden. Demolish the rest. Has never made any financial or urban sense. Build thru-streets and new residential.

The hotel will close within a few years of GM leaving. It's already crappy and there's no way the hotel survives when the complex is vacant. Redevelop the tower into a luxury hotel/residential.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
TYour previous grand predictions didn't pan out so well, to say the least. IDK how you're not too embarrassed to post in here again.
What grand prediction didn't pan out?

What does that even mean?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
This one is still gold.

Hell, with the recent topping off, it's even golder now!

That statement, at the time, was true.

Tower did not rise until Bedrock secured nearly $1 billion in state subsidies.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Tech center has always had more employees, it's a car manufacturer, not a bank. You also made up 800, they have 2,500.
Nope. They officially have around 850 employees at HQ. They had 6,000 employees at HQ around 10 years ago. In 1996, when they made the move downtown, they predicted 20k employees by 2010, BTW.

I can actually get the exact current count at HQ, BTW. To a person. Not who is physically working there, but who is officially assigned to HQ.

And your first sentence makes zero sense. GM has been steadily moving employees from HQ to Tech since around 2006. The relative ratio has never been so skewed. I have no idea whether it's true whether Tech has "always" had more employees, and don't understand the relevance.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 12:25 AM

Quote:
This one is still gold.

Hell, with the recent topping off, it's even golder now!
AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!

Got em

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Nope. They officially have around 850 employees at HQ. They had 6,000 employees at HQ around 10 years ago. In 1996, when they made the move downtown, they predicted 20k employees by 2010, BTW.

I can actually get the exact current count at HQ, BTW. To a person. Not who is physically working there, but who is officially assigned to HQ.

And your first sentence makes zero sense. GM has been steadily moving employees from HQ to Tech since around 2006. The relative ratio has never been so skewed. I have no idea whether it's true whether Tech has "always" had more employees, and don't understand the relevance.
Nobody cares. Go away.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Nobody cares. Go away.
Someone is apparently a bit cranky. Rest your knees a bit; Gilbert is still relatively young.

857 employees, BTW.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 12:49 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 1:17 AM

Such a really clean tower. Sometimes there's a bit of fear of new construction outshining or clashing with the pre-war architecture of the city, but Hudson's really fits in well. Still woulda been nice if it was a bit taller.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 12:58 PM

Hudson's Site Detroit Topped off

Hudson's Site Detroit Topped off
Video Link

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 4:27 PM

Here we go

https://www.bedrockdetroit.com/press...dsons-detroit/

Who knows, someday you'll be watching Million Dollar Listing Detroit on Bravo

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 4:40 PM

Only two random renders of the outside? Kinda wanted to see what interiors/rooms will look look.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 5:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konadu View Post

Sweet shot!

It really does look taller than the Ren Cen from this angle.

Is that just perspective? or does the topography of downtown Detroit raise up as you go inland from the river? Perhaps a bit of both?

Also love the Gordie Howe bridge sneaking in over on the far right!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 17, 2024 at 8:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Is that just perspective? or does the topography of downtown Detroit raise up as you go inland from the river? Perhaps a bit of both?
Generally yes, but there's a hill in the Financial District where the city's historical fort used to be, or more specifically, where the Penobscot Building is now.

The Hudson's is just outside of the hill but still on slightly higher terrain than the Ren Cen.

The Ren Cen is also partially reclaimed land from the river (naturally it was more a more swamp-like coastline).

The difference between the Ren Cen and Hudson's ground level is around 48 feet. The difference between Penobscot and Hudson's is about 78 feet (to give an idea of how tall the hill is).

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Generally yes, but there's a hill in the Financial District where the city's historical fort used to be, or more specifically, where the Penobscot Building is now.

The Hudson's is just outside of the hill but still on slightly higher terrain than the Ren Cen.

The Ren Cen is also partially reclaimed land from the river (naturally it was more a more swamp-like coastline).

The difference between the Ren Cen and Hudson's ground level is around 48 feet. The difference between Penobscot and Hudson's is about 78 feet (to give an idea of how tall the hill is).
I'm not getting that on Google Earth at all - maybe more like a 10ft difference between grade along Woodward next to Hudsons to the grade at the Ren Cen off the winter garden along the St. Clair River.

Anecdotally the time I have spent walking around Downtown Detroit has also shown it to be very flat, definitely not an 80ft tall hill in the middle of it!

Detroit is generally remarkably flat geographically.

Hudson's is ultimately only 40ft or so shorter than the RenCen. 10ft is made up for in grade difference, the rest is likely perspective in that image - the Hudson's block is a lot closer to the camera than the RenCen so it would look larger.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I'm not getting that on Google Earth at all - maybe more like a 10ft difference between grade along Woodward next to Hudsons to the grade at the Ren Cen off the winter garden along the St. Clair River.

Anecdotally the time I have spent walking around Downtown Detroit has also shown it to be very flat, definitely not an 80ft tall hill in the middle of it!

Hudson's is ultimately only 40ft or so shorter than the RenCen. 10ft is made up for in grade difference, the rest is likely perspective in that image - the Hudson's block is a lot closer to the camera than the RenCen so it would look larger.
There's a slope south of Jefferson. I don't know about a 70 foot difference, but you can see a bit of the grade change here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/EZakUcSRxfpRMGWeA

If you turn around, you can see that the RiverWalk is even lower than the entrance to the Ren Cen.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 10:00 PM

Well we might as well post the Edition Hotel renderings:

Source

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

I was thinking my math might have been off but I used information from here:

https://en-gb.topographic-map.com/ma...01%2C-83.04772

It's most likely just error in the data and I wasn't paying too close attention.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 6:43 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3284...5410&entry=ttu

If you look down Griswold from the intersection with Jefferson it definitely does have an incline

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 7:05 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
There's a slope south of Jefferson. I don't know about a 70 foot difference, but you can see a bit of the grade change here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/EZakUcSRxfpRMGWeA

If you turn around, you can see that the RiverWalk is even lower than the entrance to the Ren Cen.
I know I'm veering off topic, but I followed Beaubien all the way down to the river, and look who I found - The Viking Octantis, paying a visit!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction