HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 6:09 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

The Mata Hindu Temple of Winston-Salem:
We finally have renderings (two elevation drawings) for one or two of these buildings. Yes, it will be multiple buildings, constructed in phases. The foundation is completed and the walls are rising on the first building. When completed, this will be the Hindu Temple for the entire Piedmont Triad area.

Credit: TWC News

Credit: TWC News

Wise Man Brewing - Brewery, Office Space, & Music Venue:

Filling up the glycol chiller:

Credit: Wise Man Beer

418 North Marshall Street:

Credit: calvinray_reece

U.S. Olympic Cycling Training Center:
This photograph is from the architect. Their comment with the photograph said the National Cycling Center will open in 2017. I'm thinking it will be late next year.

Credit: Lambert Architecture

Convention Center Renovation:
A crane was at the site yesterday.

Credit: Visit W-S

Quarry Park:
A rare aerial view of the park construction site. This should be one of Winston-Salem's more interesting parks.

Credit: Way Up Media

Corpening Plaza Renovation:
An aerial view of the restoration of a water garden park, designed by the famed Zion & Breen Associates.

Credit: thosedrones

1802 Vierling House Restoration:
An update on the restoration and adaptive reuse of a nearly 215 year-old house into a museum on the history of medicine, biotechnology, and science in Winston-Salem.

Credit: Bill Wells

AFAS Center for the Arts:

Credit: allisonklindblom

Credit: AFAS Group

Forsyth County Courthouse:
The Forsyth County Bar Association made a presentation to the county for a new Forsyth County Courthouse at East Second and Chestnut streets. The rendering (below) is just a rough drawing of how a building and park would fit on the site and isn't an actual architectural design for their proposal. An architect will be hired to create a design when the county agrees to the $145 million project. A San Francisco-based biotech office space developer owns the site. This is an area where the IQ District and Government District meet. The proposed courthouse would rise 13-storeys, have underground parking, and a tunnel to the Detention Center South Tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Bennett
The rendering wasn’t intended to represent an actual new courthouse but was created to show how a courthouse might look and fit on the property.

Credit: Richard Bennett / Forsyth Bar

So, the building and park won't look anything like this rendering... yet, I'm posting it anyway.

Science & Engineering Center:
It's a few weeks old, but it's still a nice photograph of it. Construction on this project will be completed in another week or two.

Credit: loussonsmith

1794 Boy's School Restoration:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...pg?resize=1025
Credit: David Rolfe | JournalNow

640 West Fourth Hotel:
According to a source I talked with, this was being discussed as a 12-storey hotel for the upper-end Millennial market, as of a few months ago. No further details at this time and things can change until it's built.

Bailey Power Plant - Building 23-1: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)

Credit: seandavidson

Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)

Credit: wb256

New Jobs:
Myrick Construction was selected as the General Contractor for an expansion of Unilin. The expansion is 93,000 square feet.

757 North Apartments:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Off-Subject:

When in Winston-Salem, dine here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mariani - Huffington Post
Winston-Salem is vibrant with new industries--bio-tech, high-tech, medicine, higher education--that demand good restaurants of every stripe, from low to high. Here are places I wouldn't want to miss.
Part I http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-m..._12841458.html

Part II http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-m..._13125930.html

Random Photographs:

Apartments on Winston-Salem's High Line:

Credit: amyviny

ARTivity on the Green Park:

Credit: krisfulkphotography

Credit: onlyhsuman

Christmas is almost here:

Credit: my.younique.life

Credit: carlin_cas

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Jan 27, 2017 at 9:31 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 2:02 PM

I was in town for Thanksgiving and was really shocked at 757's presence on MLK. It's footprint along with two historic churches seems to expand downtown's grid. Is Goler now built out? There is still plenty opportunity for more development and redevelopment.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 2:14 AM
Fourth and Main

757 North Apartments is also visible from the John Gold Expressway (52). Goler has one more (triangle-shaped) site to develop, on the other side of MLK. They could also develop their site at 6th & Patterson.

Staybridge Suites Hotel & Office Building:
Downtown Winston-Salem's newest proposal is a 9-story mixed-use building at the intersection of Third and Liberty streets. The building has 2 floors of office space for Piedmont Federal Bank and a 104 key/room Staybridge Suites hotel, with a rooftop amenity level. ArchStudio7 is the architect and Atlanta-based Mayfair Street Partners is the developer. Financing is in place and the project is backed by IHG. The office space is fully leased by a single tenant (Piedmont Federal Bank). A deal with the office tenant requires the building to be completed before May 21, 2019. This building will have underground parking.

The developer is describing the hotel part of the development as a "luxury extended-stay urban" hotel for executives. These will be very similar to the luxury apartments/condos you see in downtown, but they are actually hotel rooms. An urban office/hotel development with underground parking is a first for IHG, according to the developer. Since most of the building is a hotel and the hotel's logo is very prominent on the parapet, I'll name this building "Staybridge Suites" on our project list. Someone at WSTB said this building could become Piedmont Federal Bank's new headquarters?

It's not very often we see a proposed hotel with office space:

Credit: brantley619 @ WSTB Forum

Last edited by Matthew; Dec 8, 2016 at 3:12 AM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 1:56 AM

Great plan for a dual brand proposal at Merschel Plaza! The Pepper was never meant to stand alone.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 6:20 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

NoTra Mixed-use Building:
I have finally found a photograph of this building, after a month of no photographic updates. It is nearly impossible to find any updates on this project. The update shows the building has blue insulating foamboard installed, which shows the locations of the windows and the shape of the building. The photograph is an aerial, which also shows the AFAS Center for the Arts beside it, on the right.

NoTra Mixed-use Building (left) and the AFAS Center for the Arts (right), side-by-side, from yesterday:

Credit: Paul Sableman

Central on 5th:
Most of the facades are up and plumbing and electric is being roughed in. Workers now have permanent power turned on to run temporary heat during the winter. Commissioners approved Onepath Systems to outfit the new building with audio and visual systems for $548,161.46.

Top Floor Outdoor Terrace:
Credit: Allison Lee Isley | JournalNow

Atrium

http://i.imgur.com/WQEntv3.jpg

Top Floor Outdoor Terrace, with Two Fireplaces & Mountain Views:
http://i.imgur.com/OVPxFwW.jpg

Institute for Performance Innovation:
A large anonymous donation has allowed UNCSA to establish the Institute for Performance Innovation. The institute will support the creation of a graduate animatronics program in UNCSA’s School of Design and Production and advance a graduate program in gaming and virtual reality in the School of Filmmaking. “The Institute for Performance Innovation will optimize relationships with entertainment leaders such as Disney, Cirque du Soleil, Oculus, Advanced Micro Devices, Radiant Images, DreamWorks, and Universal Studios, among others,” said newly appointed Provost David J. English.

Twin City Lofts Condominiums:
This condominium building will open in January 2017. Below, I found a rendering and description of the rooftop outdoor amenity area. "With over 800 square feet, residents and guests can take their next cookout to the rooftop with two gas grills, an outdoor kitchen, and plenty of seating for relaxing. Spend your down time diving into your next book under the cool shade of the rooftop lanai or inside in the air-conditioned rooftop lounge."

Amenity area:

Credit: Twin City Lofts

The view from the amenity area:

Credit: Twin City Lofts

Bookmarks Headquarters & Downtown Bookstore:
According to this image, it should open next summer? (6-9 months from now)

Credit: Bookmarks

Credit: STITCH Design Shop

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:
Completion is set for 18 months. Construction could start in January or February. Wake Forest University is in talks that "could" allow this building to be used to meet "on campus housing" requirements for downtown students interested in living downtown. Grubb Properties and the university would both have to reach an agreement.

411 West Fourth / Chamber Building:
I found a better rendering of the project. The basement appears to be office space, if you're interested in leasing. This building also appears to have two retail spaces on downtown's Restaurant Row.

25 Markets with the Largest Rental Rate Increases:
Winston-Salem is on RentRange's top-25 list of apartment markets with the biggest rent increases for the third quarter of 2016. Seattle was at the top of the list. Now you know why so many apartment developers are interested in downtown Winston-Salem and why there are so many apartment proposals. According to the mayor and council, Winston-Salem's big rent increases are in the downtown area and this is pushing poor people to the outer edges or suburbs to find cheap rent.

This building now has a "temporary" certificate of occupancy, allowing movers to move furniture, equipment, and other items to the new building. The official "grand opening" will be January 2, 2017. When they hold their media open house, I'll post the big completion photography post for this building. We may have to wait until next month for that big post?

Credit: beyond_the_bubble

Credit: bill.raker

They are now working on the brick facade.

Credit: Christina McKenzie

I think this is the water/sewer pipe installation?

Credit: jgroberts11

Live Edge Community Table:

First grain delivery and 32oz Crowlers (Yes, they will can beer):

Magazine photography:

Maya Angelou Hall:

Our first look inside!

Credit: Frank L. Blum Construction

Transportation Infrastructure:

Creative Corridors:
Workers have started soil testing this week.

Off-Subject:

Womble Carlyle Has Perfect HRC Score:
The law firm Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice, headquartered in downtown Winston-Salem's One West Fourth skyscraper, has a perfect 100 score from the Human Rights Campaign's 2017 Corporate Equity Index for corporate practices and policies related to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees.

Random Photographs:

Original stained glass aviation mural inside Winston-Salem's 1930s Art Moderne airport terminal:

Credit: thatdunlopgirl

That was the busiest and nicest airport in the state for decades. It has sculptures, stained glass, large paintings/murals, beautiful metal work, wood, and stone. It's a work of art! It was ranked the best airport in the United States by the airlines and used as a WWII training center.

Gritty industrial buildings:

Credit: denzstrick

Colonial Neighborhood:

Credit: valbitterman

An older image of the city's skyline and rough terrain:

Credit: jessipaigephotography

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Jan 27, 2017 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 5:17 AM
Fourth and Main

Westbend Vineyards & Brewhouse: Built!
This project is now completed and open to visitors. It is the largest winery in Forsyth County and is named for a bend in the river. The property includes a restored house built in the 1800s. Add another brewery to the list. You can currently try their new wheat, brown, and blonde ales. Walt and Sonia Breathwit have moved to the Winston-Salem area from Houston, Texas to enter the wine business and are the owners of the winery and brewery. Winston-Salem is located in the Yadkin Valley AVA, which is North Carolina's wine country. The Winston-Salem area has the perfect climate and terrain in the Southeast for vineyards.

New winery & tasting room: (you can see the new beer taps)

New fermentation tanks and tables made from large oak trees on the property:
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=600

Tasting room & event center in a house from the 1800s:

Horse sculpture made from horseshoes, given to the owners:

A sitting room in the house from the 1800s:

The winery will use black bottles with the house from the 1800s on the labels:

If you love wine and you are thinking of visiting Winston-Salem, be sure to visit some of the wineries. They are a big tourist attraction for the metro area and are designed for visitors. You can find wine tours, if you are interested. Winston-Salem is also becoming a destination for beer tourism.

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Jan 27, 2017 at 9:37 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 5:59 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

SciWorks Downtown:
County commissioners will vote on an additional $1 million for design costs for this new downtown Winston-Salem science museum. The 70,000 square foot museum, with 40,000 square feet of exhibit space, is expected to cost around $30.47 million. The museum has raised $18.34 million for the project and will start a $10 million fundraiser in January. There are also plans for a separate park project that will add outdoor space to the museum, including play areas and an outdoor classroom.

They passed their building inspection, but don't have heat. The opening is now pushed-back to January.

757 North Apartments:

Credit: sonidoestelarcarolina

Credit: hdzura

The new sign is in place:

Credit: jimmyabean

Credit: jimmyabean

Rare back side view:

Credit: Brian Hicks

Cleaning the brick:

Credit: abelgarzaa

Credit: sarahwjenkins

411 West Fourth / Chamber Building:
New renderings for the office space show a slide, possible swings, and bike storage. I love these spaces for creative / tech companies. Always interesting and different! There is also talk that STITCH Design Shop will move their headquarters to this building.

A slide in the office space part of the development:

National Black Theatre Hall of Fame & Museum:
Again, the National Black Theatre Hall of Fame & Museum may select the building behind this structure? This was the originally announced location though and no other site was officially selected?

Credit: _ennarey

1800 N. Patterson Avenue:
We finally have an update on this project. Of course one of the first changes must be replacing the beautiful original Art Moderne doors and glass blocks around those doors, that help make the building worthy of preservation, with the cheapest generic shopping center doors you can find at the local builder supply. Yes, this developer did that. It would be nice if the city would require preservation of some interesting exterior architectural items on these buildings, when the developers apply for programs like RUCA. Without those doors, I'm losing interest in following this project. I will continue to share any updates I find, though.

New LED light fixtures:
Credit: Jessica Nuzzo | JournalNow

A performance stage:
Credit: Jessica Nuzzo | JournalNow

Fiddlin' Fish Brewing Company:

This is the location of the new brewery:

Credit: strike_with_chaos

I don't know if they will keep the artwork or not?

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:
Steel is now rising at the site. dtws at the WSTB Forum shared a photograph of the crane and steel at the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtws @ WSTB Forum
Forsyth County Real Estate Becoming Expensive:
A majority of the top-10 most expensive homes sold in the 12-county Triad region in 2016 are in Forsyth County (the county Winston-Salem is located in). This is according to research from The Business Journals.

Central on 5th:
I found several more interior photographs, from roughly a week ago. This is a MASSIVE Central on 5th update!

Atrium:

Credit: blib660

Top Floor With Outdoor Terrace & Fireplace:

View from south facade windows:
http://i.imgur.com/9GaGCun.jpg

What is this?

Other side of the circular windows:

Unruly Architectonic Competition Sculpture:
Yes, this bird sculpture won the competition and will be unveiled today in Winston Square Park in downtown Winston-Salem. This is the park directly behind Twin City Lofts Condominiums. A jury headed by Keith and Marie Zawistowski, former Professors of Practice at the School of Architecture at Virginia Tech, along with local art and architecture advocates, chose a sculpture titled Interactive Bird by artist Aaron Gibbons as the UNRULY competition winner.

Credit: Winston-Salem AIA

Credit: reeceguida

Polycarbonate Walls at the new AFAS Center for the Arts:

Alternative Transportation:

East-West Expressway Bike & Pedestrian Path:
The North Carolina DOT has this project in their 2018-2027 Transportation Improvement Program. The state could contribute $1.6 million toward the project, if adopted in June 2017. Parts of the project are already included in work the State DOT scheduled for construction in 2017. According to the state, this will be a 12 foot wide path. The state transportation projects are all conceived under a data-driven funding formula that divides projects into state, regional and division-level projects. The projects are ranked in a points system that determines their places on the list.

Smith Reynolds Airport Projects:
The North Carolina DOT has included a project to build a new taxi lane and ramp at Smith Reynolds Airport in the Transportation Improvement Program. No details on how much state money the project could receive.

Off-Subject:

Dr. Anthony Atala Wins 2016 Ingenuity Award for Life Sciences:
This is the regenerative medicine research in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. In the link below, you can read about tissue and bone printing research in downtown's IQ District.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innova...ces-180961121/

ATP Winston-Salem Open:
The Winston-Salem Open tennis tournament was named ATP World Tour 250 Tournament of the Year, presented by Moët & Chandon. BNP Paribas Open was selected for ATP World Tour 1000, while The Queen’s Club in London won for ATP World Tour 500. Tennis players vote to select the winner each year. Bill Oakes said “From talking to the players, I know they evaluate the whole experience. (2016 Winston-Salem Open winner Kevin Anderson) told me that from top to bottom we really meet what the tour should be from the players’ perspective.” Chris Kermode, ATP executive chairman and president, said: “These tournaments have set the benchmark in their respective categories in 2016 and fully deserve this recognition from the players. Our tournaments are continuously striving to reach greater heights, and this is a fitting recognition of the tireless work and effort that has been put in by each tournament’s organizing team.”

Random Photographs:

A look inside Black Horse Studio's downtown Victorian Castle:

Credit: ashleywattsbeauty

One of the grocery store options in downtown:

Credit: c60c90go

This is how Bailey Power Plant looked in 2012:

Credit: wearedevice

We may revisit this photograph (above) next summer, when Building 23-2 is completed, for a Before & After.

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Jan 27, 2017 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 5:19 AM
Fourth and Main

Wherehouse Art Hotel Expansion:
The Wherehouse Art Hotel, at 211 East Third Street, is expanding and may triple in size. Construction on the downtown boutique hotel expansion starts next month. This is an adaptive-reuse project. The boutique hotel opened a few months ago and is already one of the top hotels in the Triad. It was a project we missed on this thread. I didn't know about it until it was completed. I do know about the second phase expansion (this post) and we will follow construction on it... if I can find photographs of the construction. The hotel is in talks constantly with artists, around the world, to bring new art and art events into the hotel. Everything in the new hotel will be handmade. They actually work with fiber artists, too. It will also have art for sale. The hotel will have artists in residence with studio space and work on display. There will be bands performing and staying in the hotel. They want this hotel to be a constant art show.

Credit: Wherehouse Art Hotel

#CityOfAdaptiveReuse
Years ago, this building was home to 21 artists and hosted several raves. It's interesting to see it become a hotel for artists/creatives. The block this is located on has a bicycle repair shop, vampire bar, record store, coffee shop, live music, and a biergarten is opening soon as part of the hotel complex. It's located in the IQ District and is the closest hotel to the IQ District buildings. If you're the quiet relaxing night in a hotel type of guest, this may not be your hotel. It's more for fun and creative hotel guests, looking for constant excitement and wanting to be a part of the city's arts community.

Wherehouse Art Hotel & Rooftop Amenity: (Great views of downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District from the hotel's rooftop)

A national commercial for contact lenses was also recently filmed in the Wherehouse Art Hotel and at ARTivity on the Green park. I may post it at a later date.

There are so many construction projects I need to post, soon. They are moving quickly toward construction. I may try to post another tomorrow?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 6:38 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

New Downtown Bookstore:
Downtown Winston-Salem has a new bookstore. Allington Antiquarian Books sells used and rare books, with a large inventory. They are located on Burke, in downtown's Village District. You said you wanted to see some of the retail/restaurant openings.

Credit: underdogrecords

Speaking of bookstores... Workers have opened-up the windows in the two storey structure.

Credit: Design Archives

Morris Building:

Credit: Glenn Fulk

This building will be completed in about four months.

These AFAS Center for the Arts images are said to be from last month? I don't know why they waited until Sunday to share them? Allison took beautiful images, showing the amazing view. This building has high floor-to-ceiling heights.

This image is from last month. The polycarbonate cladding is already fully installed.

This image is from last month. The polycarbonate cladding is already fully installed.

New Downtown Record Store:
You wanted to know the new retail/restaurant tenants... Mesmerizer Records is the newest downtown business. Winston-Salem's famous Mitch Easter (Producer for R.E.M. and other well-known alternative bands) is an owner, along with Amanda & Blake. Mesmerizer Records is open on Fourth Street, across from Bailey Power Plant and Bailey Park. They sell new & used records and books. They also have dance parties, live music performances, and events. Speaking of events...

On New Year's Eve, the Wherehouse Art Hotel and Mesmerizer Records will have a dance party at Fourth & Patterson. A good excuse to see the new record store and maybe spend the night in downtown Winston-Salem's newest hotel.

Credit: ianfowlermeh

Credit: accoulson

A rare look at the back side:

Credit: summerventis

Credit: Jim Pica

Repairing a cracked brick wall (Notice how clean the concrete is):

Maya Angelou Hall:

Credit: oneelizabethalice

Credit: wfuniversity

SciWorks Downtown:
The museum is thinking about keeping the former bank building and expanding it, as part of their new museum. This would likely involve gutting the building to the frame and recladding it. They also want outdoor animals, a water play area, a climbing wall, planetarium, indoor animals, and they are in talks to buy the 0.56 acre park between the former bank building and Liberty Street. This 1973 park once had a fountain by a well-known designer and a performance space for the Winston-Salem Symphony to hold outdoor concerts. They will have to preserve access to the tech company's skyscraper and the ground-floor restaurants. The park would be redesigned for outdoor animals, a climbing wall, and fountains that anyone can walk into. For this reason, Merschel Plaza is no longer a part of this project, though Merschel Plaza may have outdoor spaces they will use, like a performance space that can become an outdoor classroom? While most of the exhibits will be new, they will relocate some exhibits from the existing museum. They also want a LEED building. For parking, they will use parking under the building for employees and connect to an existing parking deck behind the museum. Design work starts in Spring 2017 and construction could start in 2018.

Hotel Indigo:

It's the Art Deco building on the right side:

Credit: fourthandtrade

This building now has a CO (Certificate of Occupancy) and will have a website in another week or two.

Heat and gas are on:

Hats and T-Shirts are now available (visit the brewery to purchase):

Brown Elementary School: Demolished - Fire
This building, constructed in 1919, was sadly lost to fire. The cause of the fire was unknown at the time I wrote this. It was a popular urban explorer site. The building has sat vacant for many years. I've occasionally posted a few UE photographs, by other photographers, of the skyline from this site. There was talk of converting it to apartments. It's sad to know this building will never be reused for anything.

View from the roof of the old Brown Elementary School:

Credit: mcfrindle_uem

Quarry Park:
The park's first phase will open in Spring 2017, including the observation pier. Sadly, many of the buildings line-up behind each other in the view from the observation pier. Tall buildings like the Nissen Building, One West Fourth, and BB&T are not visible.

All railings are now installed on The BOOM observation pier:

Looking down from The BOOM observation pier:

Grant Minnix, Director of Operations for Winston-Salem's convention center, said work should be completed in about four months and the building should open on May 4, 2017.

Yes, this is an outdoor area for convention attendees to relax:

Interactive Bird: Built!
By turning a steering wheel, you can flap the sculpture's wings and move the lower part of its yellow beak up and down. Unlike most sculptures in museums and galleries, this artwork invites the viewer to not only look but also touch.

Credit: ianfowlermeh

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway: (Winston-Salem's High Line)
Workers will lower the first of the new pedestrian and bicycle bridges into place this week, creating a 20 mile (32.2 km) trail for bicycle commuting.

You can see the rail line in the walkway:

Credit: fletchmoneygrip

Yes, people walk onto the "High Line" construction site when the workers aren't there. It's fronted by apartments, condominiums, classrooms, and offices. It's as easy as walking out of your building's back door and you're on the construction site. It's designed for bicycle commuting and as an amenity for the buildings along it, so every building along the path has an access to it. I think this (people on the high line during construction) is a good sign. It tells us this will be a very popular elevated park and walking/cycling path.

Off-Subject:

Pride Card:
Be sure to buy your Pride Card for $10, to receive discounts at downtown businesses. When you buy Pride Card you also support Pride Winston-Salem and their events for the LGBTQ community. Look for Pride Card at different Pride Winston-Salem events around the city.

Artists Unite for Peace & Diversity:

Brookstown Inn - Southern Living Magazine's Best Hotels:
The Brookstown Inn, in downtown Winston-Salem's Brookstown Neighborhood, was one of three North Carolina independent hotels selected by Southern Living as among the best in the South.

Random Photographs:

Credit: lostvestige

Credit: foxtographic

Credit: rclopez79

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Jan 27, 2017 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 4:33 AM
Fourth and Main

West End Station:
Winston-Salem's newest proposal is West End Station; to be built at the proposed West End Station Streetcar Stop. The apartment building will have 220 residential units and should start work in the first quarter of 2017. The architect, according to a site plan, is Axiom Architecture. According to someone at the WSTB Forum, the developer is dpj Residential. The address is 312 North Green Street, in downtown Winston-Salem's Village District, near Fourth Street.

Credit: WSTB Forum

Rail Streetcar Plan:

Source: HDR & City of Winston-Salem

According to the Streetcar Plan, the West End Station Streetcar Stop will be at the far northern wing of the apartment development. It should be right at the entrance!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 5:54 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

500 West Fifth Street:
Are you looking for an update on this skyscraper, designed by Welton Becket & Associates in the 1970s? I was, too! It appears as if Grubb Properties was in the process securing tax credits before completing the purchase of the skyscraper... when PMC Property Group stepped-up and took the project away from Grubb Properties! I've heard Grubb Properties and Sabal Financial were set to enter mediation over an issue related to this project, on March 13, 2017, but I haven't been able to confirm this. Yes, developers do fight over these buildings in Winston-Salem when they hit the market. It's important to buy the building, while you have a chance, and not wait!

Credit: jenosaurusr3x

I looked for a song from around the time Integon Life Insurance Company was the Carolinas' largest insurance company and was acquiring land to build this skyscraper (500 West Fifth Street, above) for their headquarters. I tried to find something you may not have heard in years. It's a new year, so we should have some fun with this thread!

Video Link

This project should be completed? When they officially open it, I'll make the usual completion photography post. Did you know: This building has a 100 seat auditorium.

This photograph is labeled as the Engineering Center, but it could be the downtown medical school building?

Credit: Wake News

Tech Company Expansion - New Jobs:
zalo, at the WSTB Forum, is reporting a research testing labortory has taken over the downtown Winston-Salem building at Sixth and Spring streets. They have doubled in size and continue to grow.

NoTra Mixed-use Building:
Dogwood, at the WSTB Forum, shared an update. It's very difficult to find photographs of this project. If you are a member of that forum, be sure to thank the photographer for the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwood @ WSTB Forum

607 North Trade Building:
Another update from Dogwood at the WSTB Forum. I think this is our first construction photography update for this building? Dogwood posted updates for several buildings at the WSTB Forum. I am only sharing a few on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwood @ WSTB Forum
The architect said it is now fully enclosed.

Credit: _mackphotography_

U.S. Olympic Cycling Training Center:

In the rain:

Credit: presleybowers9

Local steel used in the original construction:

Credit: WayUpMedia

Credit: _mackphotography_

Salem Lake Marina:
We don't see many updates on this project. Yes, this beautiful lake is located inside the city limits, just a short bike ride from downtown.

Credit: dandelionbeaches

The red concrete stain should be removed. That was an ugly renovation from a few years ago. I would like to see it restored as close as possible to the original Zion & Breen Associates design. I know the center island had to be removed to host bigger events, but they can still restore it without the island.

Credit: bolejack_egroove

757 North Apartments:

An older aerial view:

Credit: Wings Over Winston

Wise Man will open this month, with the most taps in North Carolina! Wise Man’s taproom features two large garage doors and a third that pulls down to a countertop. There’s also a long concrete-topped bar, a community table stretching through the center of the space, and two distinct patios. Inside, a bank of salvaged windows creates a transparent side wall, allowing patrons to peer into the brewery. Few breweries are as open as Wise Man, which invites spectators to learn more about the brewing side using a map on one piece of glass that explains what’s brewing in each tank at any given time. Wise Man has serious expansion potential, with more built-in space to grow. Even before Wise Man opened its doors, Victory had already envisioned second and third rows of barrel fermenters, and the brewery has more than enough cold storage space to hold them.

New crowler labels:

Credit: Wise Man Brewing

Grain auger installation:

900 pounds of grain to be milled:

Pulling the first bag of grain through the auger:

Credit: J. Sinclair | Winston-Salem Monthly

Credit: ame_lanie

Off-Subject:

James Rollins in Winston-Salem:
James Rollins, #1 New York Times bestselling author of international thrillers, translated into more than 40 languages, will visit Winston-Salem as he travels on his Seventh Plague Tour. His series has been lauded as one of the “top crowd pleasers” by The New York Times and one of the “hottest summer reads” by People Magazine. In each novel, acclaimed for its originality, Rollins unveils unseen worlds, scientific breakthroughs, and historical secrets. His hands-on knowledge from his career in veterinary medicine helps shape the research and scientific speculation that set James Rollins’ books apart.

This is scheduled for Saturday, January 28, at 6:30 p.m., in lower downtown's Old Salem Visitors Center. It is a free event and includes book signing and book sales. (336) 747-1471.

Random Photographs:

Credit: marla.30

Credit: winstonwandering

Credit: blackhorsestudio

Credit: natykolanian

Credit: celestogramme

Credit: _steve_winter

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 5:12 AM
Fourth and Main

Pike Electric Tech Center: Built!
This project, in the One West Fourth skyscraper, is now completed. It is the work of Senior Interior Designer Angelo Adamo at the Walter Robbs architectural firm, if you are interested in hiring the designer/firm. As you know, I like seeing these tech company offices and find them interesting. Pike is one of the largest providers of Energy Solutions in the United States.

Credit: angelodadamo

The lighting is interesting:

A nice skyline view:

Yes, they are writing on the walls:

We should see more completed projects, very soon. If I can find photographs, I'll make a completion photography post, like this one.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 7:22 AM

Well I move to Charlotte this weekend. After a year of commuting between Winston-Salem and Charlotte, I will finally make the move.

I will miss Winston a lot. I absolutely love watching this city grow. Keep up the good work Mathew! I will rely on you to keep me updated since I won't be able to visit as often.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 6:57 AM
Fourth and Main

I actually live over 300 miles (over 485 kilometers) from Winston-Salem. The current tech boom is the biggest boom I've seen in Winston-Salem since I first started following Winston-Salem development around 1994 or 1995. It is a fun time to follow development in this city.

After a cold morning, yesterday, with a low temperature at 7°F (-14°C), it's good to relax and enjoy a BIG development update at SSP today. And I do have a big update! I also have a surprise, near the end of this post.

Projects & Construction:

Credit: Susan Smith

It appears as if Foothills Brewing will lease the back half of the Bookmarks Bookstore Building for a 5,400 square foot event space. Foothills Brewing will operate the cafe in the bookstore, offering beer, wine, coffee, and food for both the bookstore and the brewery's event space.

West Salem Modern:
An update on this "modern architecture" neighborhood infill project. These houses have won awards and appeared in national architecture publications.

New Building at Union Cross:
Johnson Development Associates, from South Carolina, has proposed a Class A spec building. No word on the size of the building.

Last week, a concrete pumper truck was at the site and an electrical vault was placed into the ground. It also appears as if they are removing the roof where the 5th floor addition will be constructed.

Credit: _nishamary

Credit: jonathanmcginnis

A look at the back side:

Credit: dsgnr2obx

Credit: Unknown

Aviation College:
They are currently seeking county and state approval. Design will start when they have state approval. Construction could start in First Quarter 2018. It will be completed in Summer or Fall of 2019. This is an adaptive reuse project.

This building will open to students today! 275 students are enrolled in 18 classes, a mix of science courses, labs, and liberal arts courses such as historic preservation, community engagement, and a first-year seminar exploring the analytical methods of Sherlock Holmes. In the fall, the number of students will increase to 350 students, with classes in Engineering and Biomaterials Science. The number of university students and faculty in this building will increase each year though 2021. The entire two building downtown complex could have nearly 1,000 students. Yes, nearly 1,000 university students in just one downtown block! The impact on downtown from this should be amazing to watch and professors will encourage students to explore the restaurants, parks, and entertainment available in downtown.

Our first look at the interior:

Credit: Mur Muchane

Credit: Mur Muchane

It's the white building on the far right:

Credit: skylerbrownphoto

Snowblower clearing the sidewalks and walkways, as the building prepares to open:

Was the waterwall (water feature) on?

View from the railroad tracks:

Credit: amholmes

Now, every building in this IQ District photograph is renovated (WOW!):

Cognistx Expansion - New Tech Jobs:
The tech boom continues! Cognistx is preparing to open a Customer Experience Center in downtown's IQ District and they plan to hire 60 people. The company works with cognitive algorithms.

I see construction on the top floor and rooftop amenity level. Their website still says completion is set for this month. If you're interested, you can call (336) 575-7262.

Credit: haleighhatfield

This is from Early-December, but it is new to this thread and shows the entire north facade:

Credit: leonardrydenburrrealestate

Quarry Park:

A view from the ground-level sidewalk:

Credit: b.reidphotography

You can't really see the site for the 8-9 inches (225 millimeters) of snow:

Credit: aleccorrea

A rainy night view: (You can see the recent steel delievery)

Credit: steve_d1sports

Dentist Training Center & Offices: Built!
The new headquarters for this multi-state dentist office is now open and they did build an actual dental office in their headquarters. Since I don't have any photographs to make a big photography post, I'll just post it in the weekly update. If I find photographs, I may make a big photography post on it?

Wise Man is now a fully licensed and operational brewery. They are making beer for opening night on January 28! Make plans to visit the new brewery.

Credit: Credit: Wise Man Brewing

Credit: Credit: Wise Man Brewing

Easter Creek Partners Headquarters:
A medical tenant has leased a majority of the available space in this building. Yes, it is "almost" fully leased. It will be completed in April as the headquarters of the developer. Easter Creek Partners is an LGBT-owned development business that is relocating its headquarters to Winston-Salem. This is their first development project in their new headquarters city.

http://i.imgur.com/o7tuevL.jpg
Credit: Bruce Chapman | JournalNow

Lofts Hillside:
The Lofts by BSC is now known as the Lofts Hillside. This 88 apartment development will be completed around December 2017. BSC also has plans for 86 additional apartments, in another phase, for 2018 or 2019.

A big cut into a very steep mountain side for these apartments in the city:
http://i.imgur.com/EXkMfiD.jpg
Credit: Bruce Chapman | JournalNow

Transportation Infrastructure:

We finally have details for this project! Planning is now underway for a new $6 million taxilane and ramp to the new aviation college (see Aviation College update in this post). The taxilane and ramp will also lead to undeveloped land, owned by the airport, that will be marketed to aviation firms interested in building at the airport. The developable land, opened-up by this project, is located on the north end of the airport. Both this project and the aviation college will be completed in 2019. The state DOT will pay 90% of the cost for this project. The airport will pay $600,000. The taxilane & ramp are in the design phase.

Off-Subject:

The Tunnels Under Winston-Salem:
Always a favorite subject on the forums, among Winston-Salem residents. The tunnels are very interesting and I myself have searched for openings to the tunnels. I've heard some of the tunnels date back to the 1830s and I've heard about beautiful brick vaulted ceilings in the older parts of the tunnel system. If you decide to explore the tunnels, be aware they are extremely dark and parts of the tunnels are filled with DEEP water. It is so dark, you will think your flashlight doesn't work.

Credit: yadkinriverkeepernc

Credit: christinerucker

Credit: christinerucker

Foothills Brewing - New Beers:
Foothills Brewing will release new beers as part of a new "Craft Happiness IPA Project" that highlights local, national, and global causes. Each month, the brewery will focus on a human, environmental or animal awareness campaign. Foothills said "There are people, animals and places that, for one reason or another, often due to circumstances beyond their control, are not happy. There are causes – locally, nationally, globally – that are in constant need of increased compassion and awareness. Even the most basic of needs — access to food, clean water, and shelter — are as alarmingly prevalent as they are uncomfortably close to home for all of us. So this series will endeavor to bring awareness, attention and generosity to some of those needs." The first brew, to be released next month, will be called Domicile, intended to shine the light on homelessness and the need for affordable housing.

Random Photographs:

This was likely a beautiful space, at one time:

Credit: zfiacco

Credit: itsmayne1

This old renovated power plant, on the right, is so awesome: (Did you know it has a basketball court?)

Credit: moomoocowmoomoo

Credit: kdmgphoto

Winston-Salem - Where the 1700s meet today:

Credit: annathegreat

In Winston-Salem, downtown stays open:

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Jan 27, 2017 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 5:44 AM
Fourth and Main

I will miss posting on this project. Wake Forest University's Science & Engineering Center (Wake Downtown) is a great addition to downtown and is already bringing more pedestrians to the IQ District and Bailey Park. There are several projects scheduled for completion this month. I'm still waiting for more photographs of Maya Angelou Hall before making a completion photography post on that project. I'm beginning to doubt Twin City Lofts Condominiums will be completed this month? If it is, it will be at the end of the month.

Science & Engineering Center: Built!
This project is now officially completed. And how do we celebrate completed projects? With a massive photography post! This building is a 115,000 square-foot, STEM-centric urban university campus in downtown's IQ District, the fastest growing innovation district in the United States. It's not the usual tech company building we often post on in the IQ District. I can tell the finishes are a little different. The building was an adaptive reuse project that transformed an old industrial building from 1923 into a place for medicinal chemistry, drug discovery and engineering labs.

Credit: Wings Over Winston

Credit: WFU

When Jorge Dabdoub arrived for the first day of classes, he crossed the snow-edged courtyard, walked in the front doors and up the stairs to the sunlit research lab on the second floor where he will continue his work to better understand enzymes related to cystic fibrosis. “I love the larger spaces with natural light,” said Dabdoub, who is a junior from New London, Conn. “I am excited about the new lab space, the study areas, and the possibilities for interacting with medical students and faculty.”

Lindsay Comstock-Ferguson, associate professor of chemistry, said “The classrooms are designed to allow students to work and learn in small groups. We have acquired new spectrophotometers to allow biochemistry students the opportunity to perform experiments in a way they haven’t been able to before.”

Look at the view of historic industrial buildings:

Jaime Fashimpaur, a junior, is enrolled in a historic preservation class, which will take advantage of the historic downtown setting in a property originally built in the early 1900s. “Students should understand the opportunities go beyond the sciences,” Fashimpaur said.

Credit: lindsaymrn

(A quote from the photographer above) “Seventy-percent of the reason I chose the class is because I wanted to be downtown,” said Lindsay Moran, a freshman enrolled in the first-year seminar “The Analytical Methods of Sherlock Holmes.”

Bradley T. Jones, professor of chemistry and dean of the graduate school, said this is an ideal setting for his class “The Analytical Methods of Sherlock Holmes.” “Sherlock Holmes could identify at a glance more than 100 varieties of tobacco and ash found at crime scenes,” he said. “Our class will reenact this activity in a renovated tobacco factory.” He also plans to take his students to a screening of “The Hound of the Baskervilles” at a downtown theater.

Wow! Look at the skyline view:

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Jan 27, 2017 at 9:44 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 6:24 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I have exciting news to report in this week's update! It appears as if Dr. Eric Tomlison himself said that more than one high-rise building will be constructed in the IQ District's next phase! WOW! The tech boom is reaching the point where it will change the city's skyline. Very exciting!

One Research Tower:
I have news to report on this project, which could bring a new third tallest skyscraper to downtown Winston-Salem! In a recent article, the words "high-rise buildings" were used. This would lead me to believe they may build more than one skyscraper in downtown's IQ District? Fran Daniel at JournalNow reported: "The next step in developing the IQ District has already started. Officials in the IQ District are working on plans for the second phase of the northern area from Third Street to Salem Parkway. Dr. Eric Tomlinson said this area will offer significant opportunities for Winston-Salem. Plans are to double the square footage of the Innovation Quarter over the next 10 to 15 years at an estimated cost of another $800 million. “We envision another 2.5 million square feet of mixed-use development — office, residential, retail, low-rise, high-rise (buildings), focuses on modern industries,” Tomlinson said." We know of this one high-rise building, which could reach 15-25 floors in height. Are there more high-rises in their plans?

This project may include what Tomlinson is calling matriculation space. This is office space for companies that move-up to 5-15 employees, compared to the new start-ups in incubators and cowork space, which may only have one or two employees.

This will be an amazing attraction on Fourth Street:
http://i.imgur.com/9MXItTJ.jpg

Credit: zoecjohns

Quarry Park:

Credit: exposingcarolina

Credit: exposingcarolina

Downtown Urgent Care Center:
We haven't seen an update on this project in a long time! I think our last update was in October? I will admit: I don't like the design. It has a suburban shopping center look to it. The general contractor (Frank L. Blum Construction) said: Thanks to unseasonably dry weather of October and November, most of the exterior was completed before the winter weather arrived. Along with brick and glass curtain walls, Nichiha panels were installed on the exterior. The panels, actually composed of fiber cement board, give the building a lumber-like look.

The general contractor (Frank L. Blum Construction) said: "With most of the black brick and white semi-transparent CPI panels up, the exterior of the AFAS building is moving along! Red CPI panels (sample shown in photographs below) will be applied in various places as an accent color. When completed, interior light will shine through the CPI panels at night, giving the building a "glowing" appearance. Work is underway on the interior as well!"

Black brick is a design change. The renderings show a brown brick. The change looks good.

Reboot Arcade Bar:
You wanted to know some of the businesses opening downtown. This is the latest. Reboot Arcade Bar will open in the middle of next month, on Liberty Street. The bar is a classic ’80s arcade, providing more than 60 1980s and 1990s arcade and pinball machines as well as a full-service bar featuring craft beers and cocktails. This will be downtown's second barcade on Liberty Street. Owner Ian Purdy, an avid gamer, grew up in upstate New York but has lived in the Winston-Salem area for nearly 20 years.

Hotel Indigo:
It seems as if it's near impossible to find good photographs of this adaptive-reuse project. I did find a low-light and small image of it, for this week's update.

The hotel construction is seen in lower-left corner of the image:

Credit: reihaycraft

757 North Apartments:

See how the new building looks from the John Gold Expressway:

Credit: Stan Lake

An update on the adaptive reuse of this old abandoned downtown warehouse into restaurant spaces.

Is that old fire damage?

Beers n' Gears will have a bike ride to Wise Man Brewing for the brewery's opening. Contact them for more information, if you would like to join the bike ride.

Credit: officialbeersngears

Aviation College:
This could be a new ground-up construction project, instead of the originally proposed adaptive-reuse project? Yes, they are now considering both adaptive reuse and new ground-up-construction. Once a site or building(s) is selected, they will spend much of 2017 in the design phase. They are currently working on curriculum and courses. A general contractor will be selected next year. It will be completed in Fall 2018 or Early 2019.

http://i.imgur.com/214OrRt.jpg
Credit: Andrew Dye | JournalNow

Pappas Capital Invests in 6 Winston-Salem Startups:
Six startup companies, in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District, will receive big investments from Pappas Capital's Winston-Salem-based Catalyst Fund. The startups are Mechanical Tissue Resuscitation, KPC34, eCOMPASS, Fix8 non-migrating stent, and Primary Hyperoxaluria.

http://i.imgur.com/xjYsTNB.jpg
Credit: Andrew Dye | JournalNow

BH Media Printing Plant Expansion:
Berkshire Hathaway Media Group will consolidate the printing of all their newspapers in North Carolina, as well as several weekly publications and magazines, into their large Winston-Salem printing plant, in East Winston, near downtown. This will involve a large expansion for storage and assembly and a new printing press. Construction on the expansion will be completed in Fall 2017. According to Berkshire Hathaway Media Group, this will allow for greater efficiency, higher print quality, and additional capacity for color pages. This should create new printing jobs. Workers at other newspapers in the state can transfer to Winston-Salem. I don't know if we will actually follow this construction project, but if I see an update on it, I'll post it.

Credit: tsorbilli

North Carolina Business Court: Built!
North Carolina's newest business court, in Winston-Salem, is now completed and ready for its first case, today! Sadly, we didn't see any photographic updates on this project. There are some projects I can't find any construction photographs of. This was one of them. One of the more interesting features of this court is a forum for law students, so they can see an actual working court in action. We may have photographs from a formal dedication ceremony, tomorrow? If we do, I'll make a big photography post on this project.

411 West Fourth:

Credit: _nishamary

Concrete path increasing in elevation to meet-up with the landscaped High Line:
http://i.imgur.com/1lFgMGK.jpg

New bridge for High Line part of the development:
http://i.imgur.com/mJlLif8.jpg

On the southern end, workers test color-changing LEDs:

Credit: turner.christy

Off-Subject:

Kendall Shaw Artwork in Downtown:
Artwork from Kendall Shaw was installed last weekend in the Science & Engineering Center in downtown's IQ District.

Credit: hanesgallery

Random Photographs:

This looks like an interesting space:

Credit: kleur_shop

Homes and buildings from the 1700s with skyscrapers:

Skyscrapers and snow: (Downtown and Hawthorne Hill skyscrapers)

Credit: slmason08

This church was designed by famous architect Ralph Adams Cram in 1928:

Credit: deanlobs1

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Jan 27, 2017 at 9:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 5:35 AM
Fourth and Main

Maya Angelou Hall: Built!
Yes, it's now completed and it's time for a photography post. Sadly, I didn't find many completion photographs of this building. The views I found are mostly of the entrance, with her name. I waited over a week for more photographs, but this is all I could find. This is an example of a new building built in a traditional architecture style.

As you may already know, famous poet Maya Angelou lived in Winston-Salem and taught at Wake Forest University. She loved this city as much as we do!

Credit: dv_scholar

Our only look at the interior:

Credit: sevcikbad

Credit: jlowe3000

Do you have any information on David F. Couch Ballpark? I have the completion date as Fall 2016, but can't find any recent information on it? I'm thinking they will have an official opening for baseball season and I shouldn't take it off our construction list until the season starts? Is it completed and are there any photographs for a completion thread?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 5:45 AM
Fourth and Main

North Carolina Business Court: Built!
The only photographs posted in this thread, on this project, are the completion photographs in this post. Yes, I have enough photographs from the official opening to post a completion photography post! It's how we celebrate completed projects in this thread.

I like the windows:

Yes, that is a construction photograph in the background. I couldn't find any when it was actually under construction.

As I said: A large number of projects are scheduled for completion in January. Expect to see more completion posts, soon.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 6:48 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Wise Man is opening this Saturday, at noon, with two food trucks and games. The first four beers, for the Saturday opening, are a cream ale, tropical stout, dark farmhouse, and West-coast IPA. Sam Victory said “What inspired us to start our own brewery was a love of innovation and experimentation. We plan on constantly designing new beers and tweaking old recipes so that our customers always have something new and exciting to try.”

Installing menu signs made from reclaimed windows:

You can see the different beers written on the glass, below:

Filling the first kegs with Wise Man beer (a cream ale):

This answers the question about the mural. It appears as if they may keep it and just cut windows into it?

Credit: intrinsiclife

The O'Hanlon:
Sadly, the ugly 1970s bronze-colored replacement windows are still there. It won't be much of a renovation if they don't replace the windows and it's not a restoration if it has 1970s windows.

Signage for the renovation architect and developer are on the facade:

531 North Liberty:
This project has restarted. It was called Top Shelf Headquarters on this thread, based on rumors that Top Shelf was in lease negotiations for the office space, but this project could now be in negotiations with another office tenant? Until I can confirm an office tenant, I think we should use the address. Yes, this is the building with the taco restaurant on the ground floor.

Water/sewer and electric connections to the building are completed. Workers are now repairing the facade, preparing the building's frame for new floors, and restoring the steel windows.

Credit: emjaymar

Notice the brick on the corner is repaired. Workers are now repairing the original steel windows:

Credit: jrcasa

You can see what is behind the big waterfall, as they remove the panels. Sadly, I think they will keep the ugly red concrete. In May, this park will be 30 years old.

Credit: Winston

Tech Company Expansion:
A Winston-Salem biotechnology company, Biorg, is eligible for money from the N.C. Biotechnology Center to develop a liver-cancer model for drug safety and efficacy testing. The money is for applied research critical to developing products, processes, or tools with clear commercial potential.

Wherehouse Art Hotel Expansion:
Our first photographic update on this adaptive-reuse boutique hotel project. Phase I is completed and they are working on Phase II. As rooms are completed, they are opened for visitors. Yes, you can stay in the completed part of this hotel, right now. If you do, please photograph the construction for us. Keep in mind, they do have arts events, movies and music videos are filmed here, and they have live music in the hotel.

Credit: _wherehouse_art_hotel_

1834 Nissen Wagon Works Mixed-use:
This is a site we don't see very often. It was once the factory and headquarters complex for the nation's largest carriage & wagon manufacturer, in the 1800s. Half of the complex became a district police station and we didn't have many updates on it. The other half (pictured below) is still waiting on a mixed-use project. A district police station in the complex would make this a very risky urban exploration for the photographer! I can see the potential City Council has seen for converting this part of the site into a library, restaurants, and park space. I can also see the roof is close to collapse and they will need to act quickly to save the oldest building. Winter snowfalls are rough on a building in this condition. I haven't heard an update on the mixed-use library & food hall project in a few months. Again, they need to move forward, as soon as possible, to save these structures.

Credit: SRHill74

1834 Star Tower:

The roof I was talking about. It's nearing collapse:

3D Printing Lab:
Forsyth Technical College is constructing a newer and larger 3D Printing Lab. The upfit of an existing building will cost $5 million and should be completed by Fall 2017. This project is already under construction. They started 3D printing classes a decade ago, as part of their Engineering program. This is a major expansion, due to demand for graduates from local employers such as RAI and Siemens Energy.

Quarry Park:

"Gabion Wall going up at Quarry Park."

Credit: zorajenea

City Council has approved $1.4 million in additional money for the project. The most visible and noticeable change will be to the skybridge, which will now have heating and air condition and an exterior renovation. Part of the money will also be used for additional carpet, wiring, upgrades in the third floor administration offices, and other items.

Credit: twin_city_quarter

Credit: ultra_mac

Cities With Greatest Rent Rises in 2016:
Rents are rising fast in the downtown area of Winston-Salem, due to the tech boom. This is a subject city council has talked about. From what City Council has said, the increases are in the downtown area of the city. It's the reason downtown Winston-Salem is attracting so many out-of-state developers and investors. According to this ranking, Winston-Salem is ranked 6th in the nation for rent increases.

Credit: nicmccusker

Best Cities for Tech Jobs:
Speaking of the tech boom: Winston-Salem is in the top 45 cities for tech jobs, according to WalletHub. It's a ranking of the best places for STEM professionals, based on 17 statistics — including job openings, share of workforce in STEM, housing affordability, transit accessibility, and several others. Winston-Salem, over the past five years, is fast becoming a tech city. The city's downtown construction boom is a tech boom. It's very interesting to watch this, as it happens.

Central on 5th:
Workers are installing drywall and ceiling tiles on the upper floors. Construction will be completed in July.

A nice view of two Art Deco buildings and the outdoor reading garden:
Credit: Walt Unks | JournalNow

This is called "Monumental Staircase" by the architect. It will have terrazzo steps and landings:

Atrium (workers installing fire suppression system):
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=700

Children's Room:

Drywall installation:

Beautiful atrium:
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=700

IQ District (South) Cycle Tracks:

Looking toward the graveyard from the 1700s and expressway: (I can see where the benches will be located)

Credit: katelouise06

Next month, the Airport Commission will advertise for bids for the Runway 4-22 and ramp construction projects, in front of the main terminal building.

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Downtown Storefront Window:

Credit: Fourth & Trade

Credit: margaretschmidt6890

Rainbow Houses of LGBT Holly Avenue Historic District:

Credit: mareikeowen

Credit: cortaysee

Credit: reneevanhoy

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Jan 27, 2017 at 9:46 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 5:28 AM
Fourth and Main

Trade Street Market: Built!
We didn't have many construction photographs of this downtown adaptive-reuse project and we don't have many completion photographs. Just one photograph of one tenant. It's a renovation of a Neo-Gothic building and a Streamline Art Moderne building into an "arcade" in the Downtown Arts District. The market is now open and tenants are moving-in. Some businesses are already open, but others will open in the next month or two. Businesses on the first floor can apply to the city for outside restaurant/bar seating. Businesses leasing in the building include a bubble tea and bao business, a flower shop, a coffee shop, a Mexican restaurant, a business selling soap, art galleries, a comic book store, a barber shop, a natural juice store, a locally famous hotdog restaurant, a hair studio, a pop culture gallery, Thai buffet, and a UPS Store. A very interesting mix of businesses. The second floor will have a business incubator on the entire floor.

The Perezes, owners of Sweet Aromaz, plan to add kombucha on tap and a nitro cold coffee on tap:

As I said: Several completions are scheduled for this month. We still have maybe one or two more on the way, including a brewery for next week. We also have two new adaptive-reuse projects to add, soon.

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Jan 27, 2017 at 9:46 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations