HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car(e)-Free LA View Post
What do you think the chances are of its passage? I doubt it has the support of most Angelinos, but will people bother to vote against it in a spring election?
The worry is that most who vote during spring elections will likely be the demographic that votes against it. Not enough young people vote during smaller elections. Another thing is the massive amount of "undecided" voters. That could go either way but Measure S supporters have been really pushing it. I've seen a few large billboards for "Yes on S", which worries me.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 PM

Lots of big news recently in Los Angeles. Just announced... The new LA Stadium at Hollywood Park; home of the Rams and "ehew" the Chargers, and the LA Coliseum will split the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2024 Olympic Games.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
The worry is that most who vote during spring elections will likely be the demographic that votes against it. Not enough young people vote during smaller elections. Another thing is the massive amount of "undecided" voters. That could go either way but Measure S supporters have been really pushing it. I've seen a few large billboards for "Yes on S", which worries me.
I wondering what LA forumers imagine could happen if Measure S passes? How will it affect future development and is there any way that it could actually be a good thing?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 3:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
I wondering what LA forumers imagine could happen if Measure S passes? How will it affect future development and is there any way that it could actually be a good thing?
If it passes my only hope is things get so dire on the affordability front that it will prompt action from action from the state to undergo sweeping land use reform.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 4:34 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Measure S would only be positive in that it would finally cause the city to update the zoning and planning laws, formally allowing the type of development that previously needed a special exemption. Measure S is, after all, only a symptom of a larger problem that should have been addressed years ago.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 6:54 PM

Sickening story from the Los Angeles Business Journal, why more public scrutiny hasn't been given to AHF for it's misappropriation of funds baffles me.

http://labusinessjournal.com/news/20...e-fundraising/

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 8:01 PM
dazzle me

it's rare that a measure is wholeheartedly bad, but measure S is undoubtedly that. LA is way underzoned and spot zoning is essential to just try to keep up.

if it passes, pretty much the only good thing to come out of it, like other forumers have said, is that it would push the state to tackle NIMBY-induced unaffordability with sweeping state measures. that would suck for us up here, because as pro-growth as i am, i want it concentrated in certain neighborhoods (leave the haight alone, grow the southern and western neighborhoods). but overall, if it's for the greater good, then so be it.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 2:06 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

It's official. The large park and ride lot adjacent to the Expo Line's Culver City Station will close on February 14, making way for the construction of the Ivy Station TOD. This project ranks near the top of my list of what I consider the most important, game-changing projects.

http://thesource.metro.net/2017/01/1...w-development/

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
It's official. The large park and ride lot adjacent to the Expo Line's Culver City Station will close on February 14, making way for the construction of the Ivy Station TOD. This project ranks near the top of my list of what I consider the most important, game-changing projects.

http://thesource.metro.net/2017/01/1...w-development/
It should've been bigger but its excellent design makes up for its size.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 7:07 AM

You wonder how long it will take before Howard Industries sells its building to some developer looking to do something similar to the Ivy. Thinking of the value of that land, it's hard to imagine they wouldn't be able to come out way ahead by selling to some developer and relocating their facility to a more industrial conducive area.

The anti-pedestrian car dealerships on Washington, however, seem far less likely to vacate their premises, given the lack of alternate sites elsewhere in Culver City.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
You wonder how long it will take before Howard Industries sells its building to some developer looking to do something similar to the Ivy. Thinking of the value of that land, it's hard to imagine they wouldn't be able to come out way ahead by selling to some developer and relocating their facility to a more industrial conducive area.

The anti-pedestrian car dealerships on Washington, however, seem far less likely to vacate their premises, given the lack of alternate sites elsewhere in Culver City.
I realized recently there is one good thing about car dealerships being the last thing to go when redeveloping around a transit station. Their sites will be fully utilized. Take North Hollywood station area for example. Look at the buildings that were first built in the early 2000s when the station opened. 3 story residential. Way too small. When the Ford dealer north of the station finally decides to sell, hopefully we'll get a tower.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 8:53 PM

New renderings for century city towers:

http://la.curbed.com/2017/1/20/14337...s-century-city

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 10:38 PM
Paramoderator

Looks incredible. This is shaping up to be my favorite upcoming project in Los Angeles. Love the respect towards the cities mid century architectural heritage.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 12:38 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Looks incredible. This is shaping up to be my favorite upcoming project in Los Angeles. Love the respect towards the cities mid century architectural heritage.
Totally agree, that was a great keep on their part. It'd be great if they could be a bit taller than the rest of the towers, but its an awesome address anyway.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Lots of big news recently in Los Angeles. Just announced... The new LA Stadium at Hollywood Park; home of the Rams and "ehew" the Chargers, and the LA Coliseum will split the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2024 Olympic Games.
I think Paris will get 2024. 100th anniversery of 1924 Olympics in Paris, made famous in "Chariots of Fire". L.A. a good pick for '28 or '32.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
it's rare that a measure is wholeheartedly bad, but measure S is undoubtedly that. LA is way underzoned and spot zoning is essential to just try to keep up.

if it passes, pretty much the only good thing to come out of it, like other forumers have said, is that it would push the state to tackle NIMBY-induced unaffordability with sweeping state measures. that would suck for us up here, because as pro-growth as i am, i want it concentrated in certain neighborhoods (leave the haight alone, grow the southern and western neighborhoods). but overall, if it's for the greater good, then so be it.
I'm against measure S, and I hope the construction unions & builders fund a "NO on S" campaign. The fallacy of "S" is that restricting building and new supply of housing will somehow keep housing affordable. They don't understand supply & demand. Or maybe they do...by restricting new housing supply, current homeowners & apt owners will reap higher house prices & rents because of scarcity. Totally selfish.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
I'm against measure S, and I hope the construction unions & builders fund a "NO on S" campaign. The fallacy of "S" is that restricting building and new supply of housing will somehow keep housing affordable. They don't understand supply & demand. Or maybe they do...by restricting new housing supply, current homeowners & apt owners will reap higher house prices & rents because of scarcity. Totally selfish.
That's exactly what's going on. If I don't see any campaign for "NO ON S" is very tempted to take it upon myself and hand out flyers in neighborhoods of high turnout for the march elections.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyv View Post
New renderings for century city towers:

http://la.curbed.com/2017/1/20/14337...s-century-city
Will these be the tallest buildings in Century City?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 1:02 PM

Those residential towers are going to have some incredible views.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 5:46 PM

I believe these towers will be the tallest in SoCal outside of DTLA

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations