HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 8:03 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Agreed.

I just requested access to view your map.
Oops -- changed the settings to allow open viewing.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 8:11 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Oops -- changed the settings to allow open viewing.
Thanks.

I like what you've done. That "loop" around San Marcos would be awesome in the near future.

The only thing I'd prefer is that a highway doesn't cut through Driftwood. But that's a preference based on personal desires. I like the rustic feel of Driftwood, my grandmother's hometown. Lots of family is buried there since the late 1800s. But the owner of Salt Lick is ruining that anyway.

And that map really makes my OCD scream for 620 to be finished and create an outer loop for Austin.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 8:12 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Thanks.

I like what you've done. That "loop" around San Marcos would be awesome in the near future.

The only thing I'd prefer is that a highway doesn't cut through Driftwood. But that's a preference based on personal desires. I like the rustic feel of Driftwood, my grandmother's hometown. Lots of family is buried there since the late 1800s. But the owner of Salt Lick is ruining that anyway.

And that map really makes my OCD scream for 620 to be finished and create an outer loop for Austin.
There are many alternatives to going thru Driftwood.

I created an alternative route that would cut the MoPAc extension altogether and simply connect 290 to the freeway out to Canyon Lake.

As to the loop idea w/r/t to 620, there's nowhere for a freeway to cut through. There's too much development already.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 8:37 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Hays County is planning an expansion and realignment of FM 150. 4 lanes. I think they are taking it away from downtown Kyle and could reroute it south of town to Yarrington Road.

http://www.improvefm150.com/

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 8:39 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
There are many alternatives to going thru Driftwood.

I created an alternative route that would cut the MoPAc extension altogether and simply connect 290 to the freeway out to Canyon Lake.

As to the loop idea w/r/t to 620, there's nowhere for a freeway to cut through. There's too much development already.
Could they just use the current right of way of 620 and connect to 71 back into Oak Hill? I don't take 620, so I don't know how much room they have out there. I know locals want it done.

I like the alternate you created.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Could they just use the current right of way of 620 and connect to 71 back into Oak Hill? I don't take 620, so I don't know how much room they have out there. I know locals want it done.

I like the alternate you created.
There's not enough ROW in a bunch of centrally located sections.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 11:34 AM
World Traveler

I agree with wwmiv on 620. Short of utilizing some serious eminent domain, it's not going to connect unfortunately.

My only additional thought is that I think 281 may be needed as an expressway all the way up to Lampasas to connect to Killeen/Belton/Temple one day, and either 290 or 71 (preferably 71) will likely need to be an expressway in SW Travis County someday as well to 281. Just my two cents.

Thanks for putting the map together!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 7:41 PM

$2M awarded to Round Rock to study abandoned MoKan rail corridor
https://communityimpact.com/austin/r...rail-corridor/

Hopefully the fact that it's Round Rock and TxDot doesn't immediately kill rail options.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
$2M awarded to Round Rock to study abandoned MoKan rail corridor
https://communityimpact.com/austin/r...rail-corridor/

Hopefully the fact that it's Round Rock and TxDot doesn't immediately kill rail options.
Don't assume that Round Rock is any more friendly to rail than TxDOT.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Don't assume that Round Rock is any more friendly to rail than TxDOT.
I don't.

Sorry, by that I meant that hopefully rail isn't immediately killed as an option, despite the fact that it's RR and TxDot.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 2:51 AM
World Traveler

I agree. I know that a lot of folks have moved to the region who are more pro-rail/mass transit in general - this of course is a generalization based upon my friend groups who still live in Austin, many of whom are transplants from other areas. My hope is that the last several years of commuting from Round Rock/Pflugerville/Hutto has given people new perspective. We shall see.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 5:13 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

There's quite a few of us native born who are very pro-rail, especially from my generation and younger. I would love to use rail if we had rail south of the river.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 7:37 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I don't mind having the rail option for people if it's done smartly. But I doubt I'd ever use it. My commute is at odd times and opposite the flow of traffic, so I don't hit the jams. It isn't all that far, and I like having my truck on my lunch break.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 12:11 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
There's quite a few of us native born who are very pro-rail, especially from my generation and younger.
That's fair - I overgeneralized. I'm also a native Austinite (though not there anymore) who is also pro-rail.

However, it does seem to me that many of the original folks seem to oppose it merely because they personally wouldn't use it. I have absolutely no polling data to back this statement up.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 9:42 PM

CapMetro posted the presentation from the last board meeting, talking about the Connections 2025 plan, and the capital expenses thereof.

http://connections2025.org/wp-conten...anuary-v5a.pdf

A bit about post-2018 metrorail plans. Some big, currently unfunded capital expenses.

So until they have an answer for that, to me it goes in the "would be great if it ever happens" pile.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 9:09 PM

Amtrak studying San Antonio-Austin commuter rail service

http://smmercury.com/2017/01/17/amtr...-rail-service/

We'll see. The advantage of the lone star plan was the freight bypass, and gaining ownership of the existing line. That would ensure passenger trains would stay on time. Without that, it's an uphill climb to gain ridership.

Even 80% on time is apparently too much to ask for.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...44224172,d.amc

And I think the mayor is way overoptimistic
"If the results are promising, Lopez believes the big money for the tracks and operating the trains would come mostly from private investors."

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 3:21 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Not Austin-related...

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/poli...128492164.html

The Trump Administration's initial priority list of 50 infrastructure projects has been released, and it includes the Dallas to Houston high speed rail line.

Quote:
The 250-mile high-speed railway in Texas would enable commuters to travel between Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth in less than 90 minutes, according to the document. It is a $12 billion proposal that would create 40,000 direct jobs, the document says.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Not Austin-related...

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/poli...128492164.html

The Trump Administration's initial priority list of 50 infrastructure projects has been released, and it includes the Dallas to Houston high speed rail line.
Awesome. But this is where a Trump presidency gets even weirder. IMO this is the type of project would typically get much more Democratic support than Republican support in Congress.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 4:13 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

This is one of the places he shows himself to be more of a populist.

If our govt is going to be spending money like wild (which we all know they will), we should cut back in some places and spend in places that is beneficial to all, like infrastructure.

And Trump's plan is to use 50% tax money and 50% private money. I'm not sure how they will go about that. I've heard the big money donors may get tax breaks/credits for the money they give toward govt projects. Or perhaps there will be some other incentive. I'm interested to see the plan.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 7:41 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
This is one of the places he shows himself to be more of a populist.

If our govt is going to be spending money like wild (which we all know they will), we should cut back in some places and spend in places that is beneficial to all, like infrastructure.

And Trump's plan is to use 50% tax money and 50% private money. I'm not sure how they will go about that. I've heard the big money donors may get tax breaks/credits for the money they give toward govt projects. Or perhaps there will be some other incentive. I'm interested to see the plan.
The Federal government has contributed more than 50% to any transportation or highway projects for decades. Usually, local governments and states contribute the remaining 50%. What's new from a Trump perspective is the willingness of the Federal government to join with private enterprise directly in these type of projects. In the past, private enterprise participation was usually negotiate by local and state governments, or their agencies, and counted within their share.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin