HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 4:37 AM

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 4:51 AM

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 7:22 AM

Microsoft appears.

Current map shows progress on city blocks.

Last edited by JHoward88; Nov 23, 2013 at 7:35 AM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 7:33 PM

Very creative and imaginative! What is that massive tripodal structure?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 8:15 AM

That large tripodal structure is the skeleton of a spaceship landing pad. The track leading to it is for beacon lights.

Fascism, Communism, and Capitalism all come together here to create a United Nations-esque sanctioned world government... equipped with forced labor camps, Macy's, and maybe some elements from Star Trek. The theme of this city is all about world history working out a little bit different than it did in real life... but not totally different. Science fiction, if a bit of time travel is thrown into the pot, gives me the opportunity to "explain" some of those differences and give the story context. Agents from the future traveled back in time and influenced the key events which act as a backdrop for my world capitol. Why are there blimps in the sky? Because somebody went back in time and prevented the Hindenburg disaster... Etc.

...and Atlas-Victoria Mall introduces some retail elements to the city:

Last edited by JHoward88; Dec 2, 2013 at 8:30 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 10:40 PM

This is just astonishing! A spaceport!? How do you do it so fast? In the time it took you to do this, I've only done a few city blocks of my city!
Hay! If you have time please check my city out, it's called Remus city!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 6:23 PM
Desert Dweller

Fascinating! Capitalism and fascism right across the street from each other, I love it!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 8:33 PM

Genius stuff, love the backstory of future time travellers influencing technology and the like.

Out of interest does sketchup/kerky allow atmospherics/fog. Some of those large overview renders would really gain from that and add to the sheer scale of some of your structures.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 7:18 PM

It's very hard to imagine what would a life of a normal citizen be in a world were "Fascism, Communism, and Capitalism all come together". It might be that your city demonstrates atmosphere very well.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 5:06 AM

...I think that Kerkythea is capable of rendering fog, but I have not figured out how as of yet.

I've done a little bit more work on the Space Terminal complex, introducing the "Taggart Trans-Space" Building, which is directly connected to the landing pad. Taggart Tans-Space operates spaceships for the Federation of United States.

Taggart Trans-Space is also tip of the hat to "Taggart Transcontinental" from the novel Atlas Shrugged. The Federation of United States is a tip of the hat to the "Federation" from Star Trek. Again, we see a degree of irony as Star Trek - which is fundamentally altruistic - is melded with Ayn Rand's philosophies, which decidedly are not.

The question of how seemingly drastically opposite ideologies might coexist, at least in this story, is traced back to the fundamental idea that at critical points in history... whenever human differences led to significant historical wars or conflicts, in the alternate timeline there was peace, even if it was an uneasy or awkward peace. Hypothetically, Nazi Germany might never have launched a campaign against Jews if the Jewish people had not previously lost their original homeland as a result of such things as crusades and Roman occupation. (What if we could communicate with the mind of Julius Caesar and influence him to make a few key decisions differently?) If the State of Israel had already been solidly established in 1939, there would have been a much weaker case for antisemitism. Thinking even further back, it could be plausible that if Egypt had adopted legislative processes opposing slavery, the Jewish State might have been part of a united Egyptian Empire which would have maintained peace in the middle east for thousands of years.

If the modern age would have been born a hundred years earlier, and the world had internet access when Hitler was coming to power, the idea of Racially charged nationalism might have still taken root... but instead of race being viewed in terms of local nationalities, race might have been more broadly (and correctly) interpreted as the entire human race. (If you've watched Star Trek, think of the Terran Empire, which was racist not against humans, but had Nazi-like conquest-leaning attitudes toward non-human civilizations.)

Last edited by JHoward88; Dec 8, 2013 at 5:30 AM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 8:22 PM

Impressive!
btw that would be the JAMES Taggart Transcontinental you're referring to. Dagny would have killed herself in that environment.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 7:00 PM

That definitely looks like a space terminal. Really good job visualizing science fiction!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup