HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 2:18 PM

Wow, very cool! I would definitely see that for Arts Court. This would've also looked very nice as the Andaz in the market (instead of that piece of crap that's going up).

Would also be a cool concept design for future Lebreton/Arena district or the Isles.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Wow, very cool! I would definitely see that for Arts Court. This would've also looked very nice as the Andaz in the market (instead of that piece of crap that's going up).

Would also be a cool concept design for future Lebreton/Arena district or the Isles.
I concur. Neat building, and would have been cool for the Andaz development. I'm a little iffy on the 'saw-tooth' motif, but it provides some nice/distinct visual interest. It's be great if buildings like this could appear in one of the LeBretton proposals... As someone mentioned, we need some nice Scandinavian architecture here in Ottawa

On a side note, I came across this gem in France on ArchDaily today called the "D2 Tower" (by Anthony Bechu Tom Sheehan Architects):

It reminds me of many of the Foster and Partners buildings. Would like to see something like this in the Downtown CBD...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 2:42 PM

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 5:18 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 2:57 PM

The shape also looks kinds like the Torre Agbar in Barcelona.

When you think about it Ottawa has VERY little (if no) selection of interesting office and condo towers (speaking of tower shape or roof). ALL of our CBD and Rideau/Market area pretty much are square/rectangular with flat roof. Would be nice to see a couple of circular/round buildings and a couple of buildings with either slanted roofs, domes, spires etc.. Anything to keep visual interest. Everything is so.. bland...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 5:35 PM

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 11:20 PM

True North Square Winnipeg. This is not only a great example for a future arena district in LeBreton, but also shows how we don't have to compromise good architecture when you build fairly low buildings (10-20 floor range).

Video Link

https://markosun.wordpress.com/2015/...ious-proposal/

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/mul...290834131.html

http://globalnews.ca/news/1812004/tr...lton-inn-site/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...uare-1.3095679

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 11:41 PM

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 12:46 AM

I guess it's seen like sole-sourcing. But it makes sense; have the Winnipeg Jets develop their own arena district.

Winnipeg would be better off just straight up selling the site to True North and wash their hands of any perceived conflict.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 12:33 AM

A problem in Ottawa is that we need to build more places for people to live and work, but many complain that we don't have enough greenspace. With a project like this Silicon Valley mall conversion we would be able to combine park and some urban agricultural space with residential and commercial buildings in a great, green, mixed-use community.

This could work at LeBreton Flats, and could include the occasional highrise sticking out, with direct access to the parks.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 12:47 AM

I saw that recently on Archinect as well and thought of that same area

Actually, I was hoping Windmill might stumble on this too. I thought they'd be the most keen to develop something like that. Maybe it could influence some of their plans at Zibi too. Or, maybe they can include something like that in their plans for LeBreton?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
I saw that recently on Archinect as well and thought of that same area

Actually, I was hoping Windmill might stumble on this too. I thought they'd be the most keen to develop something like that. Maybe it could influence some of their plans at Zibi too. Or, maybe they can include something like that in their plans for LeBreton?
Maybe! It is something Windmill would want to try to create too. Not just having green roofs, but green roof parks would create a very sustainable community.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 6:55 PM

^Exactly... I mean, green roofs are nice but if they are not accessible, then what's the point?

The "iffy" part is how to make all these building roofs accessible and connected with each other without having tons of little "bridges" from one roof to the others or without too many shadows at the real street-level because of the parks on top (you can actually sort of see this in the renders where some buildings look to be completely in the dark or shadows due to the parks overhead connecting one building to the other). I mean, try selling that office space or one of those condos to someone...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
^Exactly... I mean, green roofs are nice but if they are not accessible, then what's the point?

The "iffy" part is how to make all these building roofs accessible and connected with each other without having tons of little "bridges" from one roof to the others or without too many shadows at the real street-level because of the parks on top (you can actually sort of see this in the renders where some buildings look to be completely in the dark or shadows due to the parks overhead connecting one building to the other). I mean, try selling that office space or one of those condos to someone...
Well, green roofs arent about providing parkspace. It's about creating a surface made with materials that won't contribute to Urban Heat Island effect while increasing permeability for rainwater collection, etc.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post
Well, green roofs arent about providing parkspace. It's about creating a surface made with materials that won't contribute to Urban Heat Island effect while increasing permeability for rainwater collection, etc.
But is there any reason green roofs can't meet both objectives?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
But is there any reason green roofs can't meet both objectives?
Depends. If the roof is designed to hold people and other objects, it could. I don't know though if people using the grass on top of buildings might affect the systems relying on it though. I don't know specifically though whether there would be issues or not (there might be some). At the very least though, there is a reason why we build green roofs, which is why I was responding to from OTSkyline. If there aren't usually issues with creating a green roof and turning it into park space then that could be encouraged. I'm also a proponent of urban agriculture, so if it's possible to create space on top of buildings to grow food or for apiculture that would be good. What's more of a waste is how many buildings have space for something on their roofs (whether people can use it or not) yet don't use it.

I do know that green roofs are extra heavy and so the building does have to be designed to support such weight. To be able to function as a park and accommodate hundreds or people and whatever objects we like would make it even heavier and more expensive to build. There's also some types of roofs, like sedum roofs, that can't be walked on. They may be thinner and lighter though, but it's not functional for a park.

Some of what we see though is part of the roof is designed for people and the rest is fenced off. Algonquin's ACCE Building and CD Howe downtown, the War Museum are examples where there's roof access but you can't sit on the grass.

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Sep 11, 2015 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 9:41 AM

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 1:37 PM

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
True North Square Winnipeg. This is not only a great example for a future arena district in LeBreton, but also shows how we don't have to compromise good architecture when you build fairly low buildings (10-20 floor range).

Video Link

https://markosun.wordpress.com/2015/...ious-proposal/

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/mul...290834131.html

http://globalnews.ca/news/1812004/tr...lton-inn-site/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...uare-1.3095679
Actually now 4 towers.. 27 floor Sutton Place 5 star Hotel, 24 floor office tower, 17 floor office/ Scotiabank Tower and 17 floor residential.
Nearby will be a 50 storey residential / commercial tower called Sky City plus many more to come now.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 1:35 AM

Flower Kindergarten in Seoul

For Lebreton, Bayview or the a block along Lyon:
Toronto development proposal. They're 45 and 2x39 storey towers.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 5:50 PM

Urban Toronto did a piece about a new 65- and 45-storey proposal near Yonge Street by Quadrangle Architects that I really liked. It could be anywhere, but even as an alternative design for The Sky, as it still has a similar height, curves and plaza.

I liked their concept graphics that shows how they came up with the design. They setback the back to create an urban plaza and walkway, then setback the upper sections and curved them to make the towers thinner and reduce the shadows they'd cast.

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2016/03/...reys-475-yonge

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion