HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 2:29 AM

I agree that Ottawa needs a good zoo. A good location could be in the Greenbelt along a transit route - maybe Robertson Road?

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
And then there was the slap in the face we gave the Dutch people when activists could not accept the eye sore of a Dutch windmill. Heaven forbid if we might need 6 parking places next to it. Save the children!!!!
And yet, we can, nay, MUST build the Communism Monument? How insidious.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACmodels View Post
It would be really interesting to see a Dutch windmill in Ottawa. I can see it having some tourism there. I can image it a the Dows Lake area.
They should build one similar to the one in Amsterdam which houses a microbrewery (very good beer there BTW, if anyone ever visits Amsterdam I highly recommend it).

http://abqtoadam.blogspot.ca/2013/04/ij-brewery.html

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 5:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
They should build one similar to the one in Amsterdam which houses a microbrewery (very good beer there BTW, if anyone ever visits Amsterdam I highly recommend it).

http://abqtoadam.blogspot.ca/2013/04/ij-brewery.html
That place is awesome!

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 6:15 PM
Busy Beaver

I found out the other day that they are still trying to get (some of) this thing done for 2017: Canadensis: The Garden of Canada.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I found out the other day that they are still trying to get (some of) this thing done for 2017: Canadensis: The Garden of Canada.
Good Luck to them, but they lost momentum as soon as the 'Historic Landscape' activist kept getting air play and newspaper coverage back in the 90s. It was a pity. These people really need to get some political support at both the federal and municipal level in order to gather momentum again. Back in the 90s, there was feud over control of the project between two groups and also for control over the Arboretum and surrounding lands. The fact these two groups could not compromise did not help. It was sickening watching the leader of one of groups passionately ripping the project and having a member of public scold him equally passionately. He spoke for many people that day who were disgusted by the lack of vision being displayed.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 5:26 PM

An article in the Ottawa citizen today points to some ideas that had been brought forth for uses of Lebreton Flats that have not made it into the sole 2 proposals. I personally love the idea of making a giant domed botanical garden! This is exactly what Ottawa is missing, a non-government landmark and a non-museum attraction:

Egan: The LeBreton ideas the NCC won't talk about

http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/col...ont-talk-about

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
An article in the Ottawa citizen today points to some ideas that had been brought forth for uses of Lebreton Flats that have not made it into the sole 2 proposals. I personally love the idea of making a giant domed botanical garden! This is exactly what Ottawa is missing, a non-government landmark and a non-museum attraction:

Egan: The LeBreton ideas the NCC won't talk about

http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/col...ont-talk-about
The problem with the article is that he, like so many others, didn't wait for the proposals to come out before sounding off opinions and could have should have would have's. Its been amazing to listen to the negativity around proposals that no one has seen yet. (not on this board as much as in the press)

Add to that the thrust of his article-a botanical garden, which, had he waited a day, he would have realized is actually part of one of the plans.

I'm excited for the proposals, hoping for the best and am realistic-we've engaged the private sector to propose what should be built here-not the public sector, and as such, we should realize the limit of what the private sector will give back in community value will likely be tied to the value these development groups place on the opportunity. As it should be. We need to be cognizant about who we've engaged to develop the space when we formulate any commentary. Any arguments against the proposals probably should be directed to the process and the government purse as much as the proponents.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
Add to that the thrust of his article-a botanical garden, which, had he waited a day, he would have realized is actually part of one of the plans.
I was unaware of this. Although the major problem with this proposal is that Melnyk wouldn't have his team play in an arena he doesn't own. Ideally you would want both groups working together I suppose. Alternatively, rumors are circling that they plan to purchase the senators.

I think the thing that makes people nitpick about it is not the proposals themselves but the fact that there are only two of them, although the bullet points for what they include sound good.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation