HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:02 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Right. We travel by pipeline.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Right. We travel by pipeline.
Just not to Quebec! lol

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 4:42 PM
HVAC guru

Or BC!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 4:44 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Real Albertans don’t use snow tires, toques or gloves
You may not be wrong. Flipping your truck into the ditch after losing control on the highway at 140 on bald all seasons in a snow storm is a popular passtime here

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
You may not be wrong. Flipping your truck into the ditch after losing control on the highway at 140 on bald all seasons in a snow storm is a popular passtime here
If you really want to experience a driving version of "scared straight", go look at the tires tossed out at a tire store. A lot of the stuff they take off cars and trucks is downright insanely dangerous, like tires so bald they're shredded down to the wires. And not just a few, but a lot of tires like that in the pile.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 4:28 PM

The storm that just hit BC looks crazy, buddy sent me some pics from Revy this morning and it's powder heaven!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 4:43 PM

^I may just have to swear off Whistler and try other hills this year. Whistler has been a bust so far this year.

(It may be an easy decision to try other hills this year, given the climate change demands that the municipality of Whistler's just put forward against Alberta oil companies. Freaking hypocrites, those politicians.)

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 5:38 PM

That's weird because Whistler has gotten 3 feet of snow in 2 days, my friends went up and said conditions were great and there was tons of good terrain

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 6:11 PM

Whistler definitely has the goods right now, not sure how much of the hill is open though.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 8:27 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Whistler should be off any Albertan's destination list after that idiotic letter from their mayor.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Whistler should be off any Albertan's destination list after that idiotic letter from their mayor.
Yeah no doubt, what an asinine thing to do.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Not the only municipality in BC to do so, apparently. If I read correctly, West Van and a few other communities have already done so also, supported by some "environmental law" firm.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 11:06 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Not the only municipality in BC to do so, apparently. If I read correctly, West Van and a few other communities have already done so also, supported by some "environmental law" firm.
Municipalities with deep pockets + spurious long drawn out litigation = PROFIT!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
That's weird because Whistler has gotten 3 feet of snow in 2 days, my friends went up and said conditions were great and there was tons of good terrain
I have been to Whistler the past 3 weekends. First time of the season was definitely a bust with only 9 runs open and long lineups. Basically you could only ski where they can make some snow. Our second time was last weekend and conditions had improved significantly and there were 25 runs open.

Yesterday was our third time up there and it was fantastic, as Whistler has been getting almost 2 meters of snow in the past 7 days! It was pure powder madness and snow was knee-deep in some ungroomed runs around Crystal Express. In the afternoon, they also managed to open up 7th Heaven for the first time this season and people had so much fun enjoying first tracks of the year in the deep powder glades.

Yesterday was also the first day the new Blackcomb Gondola was in use. I am not too happy about it, as it is cumbersome to remove your skis at the midstation, which is slightly below where Solar Coaster used to be. It wasn't super busy and it seemed like they aren't filling every gondola at the bottom in anticipation of midstation boardings. It is a fast ride up, but there was no good reason for them to remove Solar Coaster, as the gondola runs a different line up and they would have only had to re-arrange the top to accommodate both gondola and the old chair lift - totally doable and likely not even more expensive, should they have scratched a midstation from the plan.

The new four-person Catskinner Express on the other hand is excellent and a new hidden gem on Blackcomb (on Whistler side Garbanzo Express is the other hidden gem). The new 6-person Emerald Express is doing a decent job, but lineups can still be horrible. They should have added another 4-person express chair and kept the old one to run in parallel.

I hope they will continue lift investments and I am so happy that the season improved so much after first few weeks. With a meter more snow in the forecast, skiing should be superb over Christmas!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Yee haw!!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 6:46 AM

2 metres in a week and a metre in the forecast for Whistler!! Wow Albertans are really gonna miss out!!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 4:41 PM
HVAC guru

A struggling small ski hill in 100 Mile House is back from the brink after being purchased by a local developer who is planning on expanding the hill and marketing it to a wider clientele. There was concern among locals as another buyer, a Chinese company was going to look at purchasing it for a private development, so good news for a small local hill in BC.

https://www.100milefreepress.net/new...ate-investors/

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Wow Albertans are really gonna miss out!!
Why, Whistler is really far away and is ridiculously expensive. Most Albertans go to Fernie, Panorama, Kicking Horse and Revy, and all those hills got dumped on.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
2 metres in a week and a metre in the forecast for Whistler!! Wow Albertans are really gonna miss out!!
The same Whistler that was a top-to-bottom washout today?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 3:47 PM
HVAC guru

Silver Star and Whitewater over the holidays. very good conditions at both but unfortunately we missed a big dump at Silver Star by one day. Still the lesser known Attridge side had some nice powder and glade skiing. Whitewater was great as always. I highly recommend (along with a day at Red) for a trip to some small hills that have terrain and conditions that are really amazing

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia