HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch2000 View Post
I was thinking about the AT&T building which is behind the 'Daily Planet'/Mutual of Omaha/Ashahi (Currently Samsung) building on La Brea. The building can be seen in the aerial above as the cube-like structure immediately north of the the Mutual of Omaha building.

It appears to be deco/mid 30's to 40's in its construction and design, and also has many windows so it appears to have been a regular building and not purposely built to hold switching equipment (like it's unfortunate annex built later, likely in the 70's or early 80's)

The post showing the construction of the black deco building next door still shows the area as fairly low-rise and residential, it's hard to tell when the building was built and what it was for. Any one have any information on this gem hidden in plain sight?
Regarding the telephone exchange building, I am no expert but this location seems to have been a dedicated telephone structure from its inception. The source for the pic below suggests the main building was constructed in the '20s. Edit: Since the aerial photo is from '68, the annex would have been build later than that date.

Not sure what black deco building to which you are referring. The Black and Gold Bank building on Wilshire was erected in '29 and predated its next door neighbor, the E. Clem Wilson bldg.

http://www.thecentraloffice.com/calif/LA/LAP/LAP.htm

Last edited by BifRayRock; Oct 4, 2012 at 1:34 AM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
Flickr[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
A rare color snapshot.

ICR
__

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 10:12 PM

ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

USCDL

Hadn't heard of this one--the building (two in from the left corner) was once an A&P, which was there into the
'40s. Not sure when it became the Premier, but it was still listed at 3716 in 1956; by 1960 it was a Mannings
coffee shop.

below:
I've had this photograph forever on one of my old cds and always wondered where this little coffee shop was located.
Perhaps this is the Mannings you speak of GW.

unknown/possibly ebay

The design of this coffee shop is amazing. I love the circular lighted 'canopy' above the entrance and how the store is open-air to the street.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 10:36 PM
Comfortably Numb

Quote:

April 19, 1928. Cornucopia Ice Cream Stand, 1934 San Fernando Blvd
Lapl
I thought this poor picture could use a little cleaning up.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Regarding the telephone exchange building, I am no expert but this location seems to have been a dedicated telephone structure from its inception. The source for the pic below suggests the main building was constructed in the '20s. From word of mouth, the annex would have been built in the early '60s or earlier. The aerial photo is from '68.

Not sure what black deco building to which you are referring. The Black and Gold Bank building on Wilshire was erected in '29 and predated its next door neighbor, the E. Clem Wilson bldg.

http://www.thecentraloffice.com/calif/LA/LAP/LAP.htm
Yes, the black deco building I am referring to is the Bank building, there were photos earlier on the thread showing its construction, surrounded by single family houses, including on the site of the MoO building.

If that picture is from 1968, then the annex (shown prominently in your photo) was built later, as though it is shorter than the main building, it is as deep as the taller structure and would be visible in the aerial shot. At first I thought it could have been hidden due to the angle of the photo, but aerial photos show that it would be visible.

In any case, I do doubt that this building would have been built purposefully to house exchange equipment. It has windows on all four sides and exterior fire escapes, which would be odd for a building that's not meant to house many, if any people. Sometimes the utilities building these buildings add windows or faux windows to the facade for aesthetics or are required to do so, but they wouldn't place them on the alley, sides, or rear facades as this building has. The annex building is a perfect example of this- it has some ornamentation to the front, but the side is a big blank wall.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I've had this photograph forever on one of my old cds and always wondered where this little coffee shop was located.
Perhaps this is the Mannings you speak of GW.

unknown/possibly ebay

The design of this coffee shop is amazing. I love the circular lighted 'canopy' above the entrance and how the store is open-air to the street.
__
There were a lot of Manning's--looks like the Gold Cup location didn't become one until the late '50s. Here's one on Grand, near Dawson's.

LAPL

Apparently Manning's was the Starbuck's of its day:
KCET
See story HERE.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 12:09 AM

Custom Trip Planning

Speaking of Mannings... The Big Red Piano in color.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 1:12 AM
Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
I thought this poor picture could use a little cleaning up.

Great restoration! There must be more photo's out there that need help. Color corrections are easy. Please post them...most can be fixed!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 1:23 AM

I just found an earlier matchbook of the Wilshire-La Brea Recreation Center.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79761301@N00/

I didn't realize there were so many windows at one point in time. So were they simply stuccoed over?

google street view

Here is the matchbook that I posted earlier (in case you would like to compare the two).

__

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch2000 View Post
Yes, the black deco building I am referring to is the Bank building, there were photos earlier on the thread showing its construction, surrounded by single family houses, including on the site of the MoO building.

If that picture is from 1968, then the annex (shown prominently in your photo) was built later, as though it is shorter than the main building, it is as deep as the taller structure and would be visible in the aerial shot. At first I thought it could have been hidden due to the angle of the photo, but aerial photos show that it would be visible.

In any case, I do doubt that this building would have been built purposefully to house exchange equipment. It has windows on all four sides and exterior fire escapes, which would be odd for a building that's not meant to house many, if any people. Sometimes the utilities building these buildings add windows or faux windows to the facade for aesthetics or are required to do so, but they wouldn't place them on the alley, sides, or rear facades as this building has. The annex building is a perfect example of this- it has some ornamentation to the front, but the side is a big blank wall.
I misspoke regarding the annex's date and meant to say '70s or later which would have been after 1968 and will amend the post to so state.

Regarding the original use of the main building, as I said, I am no expert and your reasoning is sound. Still, it is possible that the building was designed for more than one purpose, e.g., to house both equipment and serve some other phone-related business. Admittedly, the "modern" archetype for switching buildings is a windowless monolith, but there are examples of telephone exchange buildings that do not fit that archetype. Whether they are anomalies or remodels/rehabs, I do not know.

Santa Monica GTE, original construction '00s(?)

Compton (1916)

LA (Normandie) 1920s

LA "Capital" 1920s

Adams Office (original on left 1910s)

North Hollywood (1930s)
All from http://www.thecentraloffice.com

http://www.justabovesunset.com

Regarding the black and gold Security First National Bank of Los Angeles, there is no doubt that it was built as a bank from the photos themselves. The photos are marked as such, and at least one of the photos has fencing that advertises what is being constructed. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=9452

If there were any lingering doubt, Security FNB built other branches in the same cookie cutter mold. Below is a before and after for a Long Beach Branch, Fourth Street and Cherry Ave.

http://www.insidesocal.com

Last edited by BifRayRock; Oct 4, 2012 at 3:34 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 3:02 AM
Fourth and Main

Before machines were invented to do the switching automatically, women would sit at desks in the telephone buildings and do this job. So the older telephone company buildings and the workers at the switchboard could use a large amount of light from windows.

It's from another city, but shows the workers inside:

1939 in Winston-Salem's Art Deco Southern Bell Building
Forsyth County Public Library

I love this thread. It's by far my favorite thread on this forum!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post
Looks to have 4 wheels, which can be seen near the gentleman's foot who is handing the ticket to the lady and another near the back of the contraption. The handles must be for steering (you can see bars going under the seat to the axle), like on some of those fancy lawnmowers. How was it powered?
The trams were a great way to go between the two piers. It was .10 each way and stopped all along the boardwalk.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 6:40 AM

The trams were a great way to go between the two piers. It was .10 each way and stopped all along the boardwalk.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 6:58 AM

There was a Manning's on the south side of Hollywood Boulevard at Whitely Avenue, with old wood booths and a cafeteria style setting. The other cafeteria was the Ontra on Vine Street, near the old El Capitan Theatre. The El Capitan on the Boulevard, west of Highland Avenue was called the Paramount Theatre since the early 1940's. Today, the theater is once again called the El Captian and the theater on Vine Street is now the Avalon. The Ontra and Manning's are long gone. Tempus fugit, brothers and sisters.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Before machines were invented to do the switching automatically, women would sit at desks in the telephone buildings and do this job. So the older telephone company buildings and the workers at the switchboard could use a large amount of light from windows.

It's from another city, but shows the workers inside:

I love this thread. It's by far my favorite thread on this forum!

Not that you can really tell the difference, but here are a few actual Los Angeles operators:

Still going in the '60s and beyond:

And there's always a noir connection: Carrie Estelle Doheny, wife of the Teapot Dome's Edward Doheny and stepmother of Ned Doheny of Greystone murder/suicide fame, started out as a telephone operator. She ended up a countess, although of the papal sort, which is somewhere between Mardi Gras and the peerage.

All LAPL

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:

ebay

What is this strange contraption? an early version of a hovercraft? (I'm kidding)
__
The guy 2nd from left is creepy

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 12:56 PM

and?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 1:35 PM
Dallas, TX

He does look out of place. Makes you wonder if he may be up to no good. Or perhaps he was just bothered by the photographer stopping to take the photo. You will never know.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 3:17 PM

San Fernanado Valley Relics

Great 1954 shot looking east on Sylvan Street in Van Nuys--pretty forlorn now, but at least the Valley Municipal Building is still there.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 4:19 PM

Quote:
I just found an earlier matchbook of the Wilshire-La Brea Recreation Center.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79761301@N00/

I didn't realize there were so many windows at one point in time. So were they simply stuccoed over?

google street view

Here is the matchbook that I posted earlier (in case you would like to compare the two).

__
I work right near this building, it's now a dance school. It looks like it could be restored to its original condition fairly easily, replace the windows and remove the giant billboard, and re-introduce the blade sign (with neon, no doubt).

I had no idea that it used to be a bowling alley. Any chance any lanes are still there? Has anyone been inside or found photos of the existing or original interiors?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos