HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 9:38 PM

Exploring Santiago and the nearby Chilean wine region & Andes

Two years ago at this time I was visiting Santiago and the nearby Chilean wine region and the Andes Mountains. After spending the prior two days along the coast in Valparaíso (photos here), my friends and I took a bus back to Santiago where we stayed for 4 nights (I stayed a 5th night because my flight back to the US was canceled). I had an amazing time and would definitely encourage others to visit Santiago! 

1) The bus dropped us off at the Pajaritos station on Line 1 of the Santiago Metro.  Santiago’s rail system is quite impressive!

2) 

3) Sunset views from my hotel in Providencia on our first evening in Santiago

4) 

5) 

6) 

7) The next morning we headed out early to spend the day exploring the city.

8) We first headed up Cerro Santa Lucia, a hill in the center of Santiago, to check out the views.

9) 

10) 

11) 

12) 

13) 

14) 

15) 

16) 

17) 

18) 

19) 

20) 

21) 

22) 

23) 

24) 

25) 

26) After enjoying the view I headed down into the old historic area of downtown Santiago

27) 

28) 

29) 

30) Plaza de Armas

31) 

32) 

33) 

34) 

35) 

36) 

37) 

38) 

39) 

40) 

41) 

42) 

43) 

44) 

45) 

46) 

47) 

48) 

49) The Plaza Brasil with the Iglesia de la Preciosa Sangre in the background

50) 

51) The National Museum of Natural History

52) Quinta Normal park

53) Museum of Memory and Human Rights, a very interesting museum!

54) 

55) 

56) Estación Alameda – this is a terminal station for suburban rail from the south, but there’s also a Central station on the Metro system below.

57) Catching the Metro at Central station on Line 1 to head back to our hotel.

58) 

59) Heading off to visit La Chascona – one of the Pablo Neruda houses. First we pass through Balmaceda Park

60) 

61) Crossing the Mapocho River

62) 

63) 

64) Heading into the popular Barrio Bellavista neighborhood

65) 

66) Arriving at La Chascona

67) 

68) 

69) 

70) 

71) After that we took the funicular up Cerro San Cristóbal, the 2nd highest peak in Santiago, to check out the views.

72) 

73) 

74) 

75) 

76) 

77) 

78) 

79) 

80) 

81) 

82) 

83) 

84) 

85) 

86) 

87) 

88) 

89) Had to get a selfie with South America’s tallest skyscraper…

90) Heading back down to Barrio Bellavista to wander around and have dinner.

91) Barrio Bellavista – a neighborhood full of energy and vitality!

92) 

93) 

94) 

95) 

96) I don’t often eat red meat other than the occasional burger, but a Chilean steak sounded good and indeed it was. 

97) Walking back to the hotel that night we passed by a water fountain with a nice choreographed light show in Balmaceda Park.

98) The next day I set off early to head up into the Andes Mountains. We stopped along the way in San José de Maipo.

99) 

100) 

101) 

102) 

103) 

104) 

105) And now heading into the Maipo Canyon.

106) 

107) 

108) 

109) 

110) 

111) This is Embalse el Yeso, approximately 8,500 feet/2,600 meters in elevation (obviously higher in the surrounding peaks). The gorgeous blue water contrasted beautifully with the dry landscape surrounding the reservoir.

112) 

113) 

114) 

115) 

116) 

117) 

118) 

119) 

120) 

121) Our tour guide brought along an afternoon snack of breads, cheeses, and Chilean wine.

122) On our way back to Santiago we stopped by this cute little restaurant for a delicious empanada.

123) 

124) Back in Santiago it looks like we had dinner back in the Bellavista area.

125) 

126) 

127) The next day we headed off to the wine region to visit some vineyards/wineries. Delicious! 

128) 

129) 

130) 

131) 

132) 

133) 

134) 

135) 

136) 

137) 

138) 

139) 

140) 

141) 

142) 

143) Time to head off to the next vineyard.

144) Along the way.

145) 

146) Our next vineyard/winery.  Such a beautiful view looking out from the front!

147) 

148) 

149) 

150) 

151) 

152) Wish I’d taken a better picture.  We did our wine tasting at the table at the end of this corridor, where the light coming in from above is filtered sunlight through the water feature in the picture above.  Very pretty setting!

153) After the wine tasting we opted to have lunch at the winery.  I paid extra to have a wine pairing with each course.  It was great though by the time we left I was rather hammered despite eating that meal! Good thing we didn’t have any other winery visits planned afterwards!

154) 

155) 

156) After taking a late afternoon nap back at my hotel (i.e.passing out) I finally ventured out for a late evening dinner.

157) 

158) The next day was our final day in Santiago.  We were all flying out that night (though my flight was canceled so I didn’t leave until the next morning).  We spent the day doing some more exploration of Santiago.  Sunrise from my hotel.

159) 

160) I decided to walk around the Barrio Italia, though it was still early with few people out.  It picked up in the afternoon when I returned.

161) 

162) 

163) 

164) 

165) 

166) 

167) 

168) 

169) 

170) 

171) Now wandering around near the Parque Bustamante, on the border of Barrio Italia & Barrio San Isidro, within Providencia.

172) 

173) 

174) I ended up returning to Barrio Italia in the afternoon when it was more active.  I love neighborhoods like this!  Very pedestrian-scaled, with small streets and great little shops & restaurants.

175) 

176) 

177) 

178) 

179) 

180) 

181) 

182) 

183) 

184) 

185) We spent the late afternoon in and around the downtown financial district.

186) 

187) 

188) 

189) 

190) 

191) 

192) Parque Forestal

193) National Museum of Fine Arts

194) 

195) And I stopped by Plaza de Armas once again on my final day.

I had a great time in Chile and really enjoyed exploring Santiago, as well as heading up into the Andes and visiting the nearby wine region. Hopefully my next trip to South America will include the southern part of Chile and also Argentina (including the Patagonia region).

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 2:10 AM

Nice photos, thank you for sharing. Chile looks like a scenic country and Santiago looks like a nice city. We were planning on going to Argentina and Uruguay this past November but that didn't happen because of COVID.

Was the subway safe in Santiago? Someone pickpocketed my cell phone on the subway in Mexico City. It was the most crowded subway I've been on (I've ridden subways throughout the U.S. and Europe) and I was temporarily distracted by a fight on the platform and a lady with a huge neck tattoo on the platform. I should have never got on the subway car.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 2:48 PM

I don't recall feeling uncomfortable or concerned for my safety while riding Santiago's subway. It seemed rather modern and clean.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post

45) 

Nice job! This is my favorite building in this set.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 7:33 PM
Explorateur urbain

Great photo thread, thanks for taking the time to share it with us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Was the subway safe in Santiago?
That's something I enjoy about Chile : it's Latin America done (mostly) right. It's safe and well managed. I travelled all over Chile, walked alone or with other people in many parts of Santiago at all times of the day and never felt unsafe. The metro itself is very clean and safe, I had no issues whatsoever in it.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 8:15 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Nice photos, thank you for sharing. Chile looks like a scenic country and Santiago looks like a nice city. We were planning on going to Argentina and Uruguay this past November but that didn't happen because of COVID.

Was the subway safe in Santiago? Someone pickpocketed my cell phone on the subway in Mexico City. It was the most crowded subway I've been on (I've ridden subways throughout the U.S. and Europe) and I was temporarily distracted by a fight on the platform and a lady with a huge neck tattoo on the platform. I should have never got on the subway car.

i've been on all these subways and across central asia and asia. yes mexico df's are the most crowded by far. even above some of japan. and they dont need no pushers, they just cram in there. its horrible at times and pickpocketing is rampant, so i am not surprized this happened. its a shame the metro is so underbuilt there. in contrast santiago is safe and much, much less crowded. the city is very easy to visit, so definitely do your trip. uruguay is great to visit too, although we only saw colonia and montevideo as day trips from buenos aires. very nice people there as well.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 8:39 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

oh nice to see these great pix. it looks almost like our visit. it looks like you even had our tour andes guides. ha. its funny to see the andes maipo canyon with no snow, we went in summer, so it was winter down there.

did you see the ohio bar in bellevista? that got a laugh from us. what about the mercado central? its a really grand market. i remember we didnt go up on the cerro san cristobel tram because it was a holiday week and it was mobbed with families. but we did an apart day, so my spouse shopped and i went up in the grand torre observation deck, which has great views too. we also loved the cerro santa lucia park, which has awesome views.

anyway, nice work and nice to remember a great trip we had again.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 4:15 PM
Me?!?

Lovely!

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 7:33 PM
Community Guy

Wonderful set/tour.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 8:11 PM
them bones

It looks like a wonderful city. I have a colleague who moved down there about 10 years ago and started a development company. They love it. Never been.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 5:07 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Very beautiful, reminds me of a slightly greener California.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 6:05 PM

Ah, good old days, when wearing a mask wasn't mandatory... When most people outside Asia didn't even know what a sanitary mask was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
Nice job! This is my favorite building in this set.
Art Deco. The only building of that style I saw in the thread, while it was spread over the US.

It looks like there's still a lot of brutalism. I think some of it is ok, not too bad; some a bit worse that they may demolish for better things.
But overall, the town looks healthy in this thread.

Thanks for the tour, Ohio man.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Very beautiful, reminds me of a slightly greener California.
That's funny, too me it seems like a slightly dryer version of So Cal.

Wonderful tour. Looks awesome and I'm adding to my list of places to go to

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 8:26 PM

Loved this set of photos! I want to visit Santiago someday. Looks like a very vibrant and walkable city.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 2:46 PM

Thanks everyone. Yeah I thought it was a pretty easy city to walk around in and also hop on the subway when I grew tired of walking... though that first and last day in Santiago I covered over 15 miles both days on foot!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 1:01 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Beautiful place.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 3:36 PM
BANNED

BEAUTIFUL!!!

I went here years ago and loved it!!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos