HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 5:02 PM
Give us a kiss

What we should really get is an elevated train system. Cheaper than subway and looks incredibly awesome.

Seriously though, I'm sure this tramway thing is not such a bad idea, especially if we're talking a whole system -- Cote des Neiges, Parc, le havre sounds like a good plan. Surely the snow can be dealt with in some way.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 5:53 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big T View Post

Surely the snow can be dealt with in some way.
seemed to work fine for 100 years before it vanished, not in favour of a subway but for buses. I'm for the tramway, although I agree the metro needs serious expansion.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 6:26 PM
Vorsprung Durch Technik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
Though I gotta say that even though I heard the steep hill argument before (in favor of the rubber tires), I don't understand it. (it might be true, but I simply don't understand it). If Montreal is criss-crossed by steel-wheeled train tracks all over the island over the ground (where they seem to have dealt with the steep terrain challenge very well), why can't it deal with that challenge under the ground too?? (and under the ground the tunnel makers could make the inclination even more to their liking, since it doesn't need to follow the natural inclination of the top soil. One station can be 10m below ground while another can be 60m below ground -> escalators make up the difference. Moreover, if San Fran has steel wheeled tramways over the ground in what I heard was a very hilly environment, can't we do the same in a more controlled underground environement? I don't get it.
There are many advantages to rubber tires trains, a major one back then, was that steel wheels needed wider trains, which meant wider tunnels thus more money. Also, rubber wheeled trains can take sharper turn than steel wheeled ones, and can have steeper grade, which helps reducing the energy consumption of the metro and go faster (when you depart a station, it goes downhill to accelerate the train with gravity along with the motors and then uphill to decelerate the train which results in less braking needed, so it's a smoother ride)

Another misconception is that rubber wheels can't go outside, yes they can, it's just that the actual wagons are not made to handle the outside temp, but the technology does permit even rubber wheels trains to go outside.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 12:07 AM

^
Thanks for your info regarding the advantages of rubber tires and the advantages of our tunnel design. I'm still sticking to my idea though: I believe that we need ASAP a system that goes inside and outside. The limitations of staying inside are just ridiculous. No one else seems to have this limitation!!! It's like we're sticking with Beta videos and machines. Why? What are we, Cuba? Or worse? I may be exagerating the handicap that strictly underground trains leaves us with, but come on, why have a handicap at all? What are we, poor or something? A "developing" nation? If we're in a G7 (now G8) nation and we can't afford it, then geez how come some third world countries can afford it? Maybe it's 'cause they think that the cost of not having one is greater than the cost of building and having one. Car transportion is taking a huge hit and I sense that the worst (perhaps a real cataclysm) is yet to come (and I'm saying this as a very happy car driver). Bref, si c'est financièrement rentable "d'upgrader" notre système (et j'ai l'impression que ce le serait, du moins à long ou même moyen terme), alors pourquoi se contenter d'un système limité, alors qu'il semble qu'aucune autre ville dotée d'un métro ait cet handicap??? Et si une autre ville a cet handicap, alors je pleure son désavantage aussi!

I know rubber tires can go outside: the metro in Paris goes outside and it's on rubber tires. But can rubber tired trains run in Montreal's climate, where there's snow and ice for almost half the year? And even if they could, then as you say West_aust we still can't get our subway cars outside because they can't handle the outside temp.

The point in all this is that it's very limiting for us to have a subway that's condemed to staying underground, regardless of what techonology we'd have to use to get it outside.

As a comparison, imagine if CN had never built the tunnel under the mountain and under our downtown all the way to Central station! Imagine it! How the hell would people from the West or East have gotten downtown?? They would've had to get off the train at some point where the above ground train tracks end, and then take a subway or bus to downtown: how impractical and time-wasting, enough so to scare off huge amounts of users & potential users, especially in the winter! Just the hassle and waste of time in going from one rail network to another (at only certain nexus stations) is enough to discourage users & potential users. Otherwise, if CN hadn't built the tunnel, they could've simply continued the tracks above-ground all trough downtown: imagine having a freight or commuter train running through the downtown area! By contrast, the current inside/outside modularity of the CN infrastructure and MTA commuter train design is what makes those train lines (Deux-Montagnes / Central Station and the future Mascouche / Central Station) so economical to operate, so adapted to whatever environement they're in (dense or not), so practical in that you don't have to link to your final destination by using a second or 3rd line, hence so useful and thus so used by commuters.

Imagine if our ENTIRE subway system could run this way. Imagine if someone from Mascouche or Deux-Montagne or RDP or Roxboro or the airport or St-Jerome or Candiac could get into a train and have interconnected access to the ENTIRE train network (above or below ground). Right now, the only nexus stations between train and subway are Bonaventure/Gare Centrale, Windsor/Lucien L'Allier, Parc, and Vendôme. Moreover, none of the current train lines are connected to each other, other than at the their downtown terminals. Therefore, someone in St-Jerome who wants to go to Deux-Montagnes must go through downtown. It doesn't make much sense. That's why people in St-Jerome who want to go to Deux-Montagne won't take the train to make the trip - they'll take a car.

If our ENTIRE public train system could work in a modular inside/outside way (as others in the world do), we wouldn't be talking about extending the blue subway line East (and maybe West in a few decades). We'd already constantly be expanding the blue AND green AND orange AND yellow lines East, West, North, and South. Not only that, but the current network would also be infinitely more interconnected & thus more useful -> and thus used more. It would be the opposite of a vicious cycle -> it would be a virtuous cycle of increased train use/availability/range/interconnectedness/etc. Train travel is fundamentally more economical and comfortable (if rail cars are well made) than car travel. In such large & dense urban areas, there's no reason why we wouldn't gradually move our focus away from a totally & seemlessly interconnected highway/road system to a totally & seemlessly interconnected rail system.

Peut-être que je rêve en couleurs mais quand les autres villes l'ont, je ne vois simplement pas pourquoi on se condamnerait à ne pas l'avoir.

Last edited by Laurent; Jun 21, 2008 at 12:18 AM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 6:14 AM
Volatile Pacivist

I read somewhere that another reason for the rubber tires was the yellow line where steel wheels would have trouble diving under the river and pulling back up the other side. Conventional trains don't have an under-river tunnel.

What I really don't understand about this project, is why a simple tram line would cost a billion dollars. Even burried LRT doesn't usually cost more than $150 million/km, while surface usually costs $30-50 million/km. There must something I'm missing here.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 11:32 PM
Maisonneuve

extending the transit system doesn't have to be held to the underground. They could build an exterior system like Vancouver's SkyTrain or the RT which the TTC runs in Scarborough.

Bombardier makes the SkyTrains and other systems too. If they can do it for them, they can do it for Montreal.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2008, 3:29 AM
FOXNews = Focktards"R"Us

Tramway: cinq millions pour des études techniques

Publié le 18 octobre 2008 à 09h06 | Mis à jour le 18 octobre 2008 à 09h09
Éric Clément
La Presse

Un projet de tramway est à l'étude sur l'avenue du Parc.

Comme tout projet débute par son financement, le comité exécutif de Montréal a autorisé mercredi un emprunt de 5 millions pour payer les études techniques sur la construction de la première ligne de tramway dans le centre-ville. Les cabinets d'ingénieurs retenus seront choisis d'ici un mois.

Le règlement d'emprunt sera adopté au prochain conseil d'agglomération. L'argent permettra de donner des mandats de services professionnels pour réaliser les études des trois premières phases, soit «les analyses du réseau initial de tramways», «l'étude de faisabilité de la première ligne» et «l'avant-projet préliminaire et définitif de la première ligne».

La réalisation des études précisera les détails techniques, portant notamment sur le matériel roulant, l'insertion de la ligne de tramways dans la rue, son exploitation, les bâtiments nécessaires et les infrastructures liées à son introduction dans le réseau de transports en commun.

Ce n'est qu'après ces trois premières phases que l'agglomération lancera les deux dernières, soit «les plans et devis, et la conception de la première ligne» puis «la construction de la première ligne».

Le réseau initial de tramways de 20 km comprendra trois circuits: un qui desservira le centre des affaires et le Vieux-Montréal, un deuxième sur l'avenue du Parc, entre la rue Jean-Talon et le centre-ville, et un troisième le long du chemin de la Côte-des-Neiges, également entre la rue Jean-Talon et le centre-ville.

Pour le grand manitou des transports en commun à Montréal, le conseiller municipal André Lavallée, les citoyens qui craignent que le tramway soit inadéquat pour Montréal à cause du climat doivent être rassurés.

«Les questions techniques posées par les citoyens sont très pertinentes, dit-il. Mais si l'on veut déplacer des dizaines de milliers de personnes, comme les 108 000 usagers de la ligne de tramway de Paris sur le boulevard des Maréchaux, ça prend un tramway mû à l'électricité qui pourra transporter 250 personnes. Les technologies existent pour qu'un tramway circule en hiver, même avec de la glace sur les rails. Les boîtes à savon du passé, c'est fini!»

M. Lavallée a bon espoir que des promoteurs privés contribueront au coût de réalisation de la première ligne de tramway. Mis à part les promoteurs de Griffintown et du pôle Viger, d'autres contribueront, dit-il, «y compris au niveau institutionnel, car ils préféreront des tramways plutôt que de payer 50 000$ pour construire un stationnement souterrain».

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 4:37 AM

MONTREAL | Tramway

Hey everyone.

My name is Lee, and I'm part of a group doing a design project for university. Our project is to design a rapid-transit system down Park Avenue. However, we don't know if we are going to chose BRT or LRT. That's where we need your help!

We are conducting a survey, and it would great if you could help us out by going through it and answering the question.

Here is a link to the survey.

Thanks,

Lee

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 4:21 AM
Headquarter: Montreal

my opinion is that BRT is better, because it costs less to implement and build, it's easier to maintain ( we already have the facilities) and it can be put in place faster. (no need to add tracks and such)

I would pay the same for both

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 8:20 PM

As I stated in the the thread with the survey, I think LRT is better because you can transport more people per vehicle (one LRV carries more people than one bus) and at a lower operational cost - that is, you can run two or three light rail cars in one train controlled by one operator, whereas with BRT, you would need to run more buses to be able to transport the same number of people and each bus would have to have a driver who would need to receive at least a salary. BRT may cost less to implement than LRT, but your operational costs could eat up those savings. Plus, it's not easier to maintain. You would have to repave the bus lanes more frequently than you would have to replace rails and ties. Also, you would have to buy buses more frequently. Railcars last 30-40 years with proper maintenance. Buses last 12-15 years and that's with proper maintenance.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 9:35 PM
Always High

BRT all the way - LRT doesn't work on Park because of the huge expense to build from Pine to President Kennedy (no choice but to go underground) to allow Metro access - without that the system is useless since most users get off after Pine. Also the huge cost to to modify the street grid at Van Horne to accommodate an LRT there and at St-Zotique. That will add between 200-240 million to the cost of the project which already runs over 30 million per kilometer including the cost of vehicles. So you are easily looking at a 380-400 million dollar project.

A BRT with a few more priority right of ways and priority signaling along with articulated buses (already purchased) plus the construction of city run parking garages to compensate for the removal of street parking has a minimal cost (under 50 million).

This coupled with the fact that we would not need to create a repair/storage facility for LRT vehicles and hire + train staff in their maintenance make it a more logical choice.

BTW - if you take a 380 million dollars, you can pay 180 bus drives for 30 years

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 2:35 PM
Unité,Progrès,Grandeur

Un autre article intéressant pour la région datant du 6 avril 2009:

Transdev Limocar veut monter à bord du tramway de Montréal

La Ville de Montréal envisage de se doter de tramways et Transdev Limocar veut devenir un acteur majeur de ce secteur en plein essor. Sur notre photo, un tramway à Marseille.

Archives La Presse

Marie Tison
La Presse

(MONTRÉAL) Le maire de Montréal, Gérald Tremblay, rêve au retour des tramways. Le maire de Laval, Gilles Vaillancourt, rêve à la renaissance des trolleybus.

Le grand patron de Transdev Limocar, André Magnon-Pujo, lui, rêve de participer aux différentes étapes de ces projets. «Nous souhaitons devenir un acteur, reconnu pour son expertise et sa qualité», a déclaré M. Magnon-Pujo, au cours d'une entrevue dans les bureaux de La Presse.

Pour l'instant, Transdev Limocar est surtout connue dans le domaine du transport par autobus. L'entreprise exploite 320 autobus dans une quarantaine de municipalités québécoises notamment pour le compte du Conseil intermunicipal de transport de la Vallée du Richelieu, en plus d'assurer la liaison Montréal-Sherbrooke.

Mais la société française Transdev, qui a acquis Limocar en juillet 2007, se présente comme le chef de file mondial du tramway. La filiale de la Caisse des dépôts (l'équivalent en France de la Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec) exploite des tramways dans une dizaine de villes en France, ainsi que dans un certain nombre de villes en Grande-Bretagne, au Portugal et en Australie. Elle exploite aussi des autobus, des trolleybus, des métros et des trains. Elle participe également à des études de faisabilité sur des projets de transport en commun et intervient au niveau de la réalisation en tant qu'assistant maître d'oeuvre.

«Il y a deux ans, nous avons voulu nous ouvrir une place sur le marché canadien pour le connaître et le comprendre, parce que nous considérons que le Canada a une volonté de développer ses transports publics et qu'il en a les ressources», a affirmé M. Magnon-Pujo.

Le Plan de transport de l'administration Tremblay prévoit un retour du tramway dans les rues de Montréal en 2013. Pour sa part, Laval étudie la possibilité d'implanter un réseau de trolleybus dès l'automne 2010.

«Nous ne sommes pas les décideurs, mais nous voulons faire savoir que nous avons une expertise et que celle-ci est à la disposition des décideurs, a indiqué M. Magnon-Pujo. Il ne s'agit pas d'imposer un modèle tout fait, mais de les écouter, d'accompagner leur réflexion et d'essayer de les accompagner dans la réalisation.»

Il a souligné que le tramway ne constituait pas la réponse à tous les besoins. Tout dépend de l'achalandage.

«Le tramway est pertinent à partir de 40 000 à 50 000 passagers par jour», a-t-il affirmé.

En bas de cela, le bon vieil autobus fait l'affaire. Quitte à l'améliorer.

«Nous mettons au point un concept d'autobus à haut niveau de service, a-t-il indiqué. Il s'agit d'un autobus confortable qui a un haut niveau de fréquence, qui suit des voies réservées et qui dispose d'arrêts aménagés proposant de l'information à la clientèle.»

Le trolleybus n'offre pas vraiment plus de capacité que l'autobus, mais il a l'avantage de fonctionner à l'électricité, ce qui le rend très propre sur le plan environnemental, a raconté M. Magnon-Pujo. Le tramway, lui, peut transporter trois fois plus de passagers que l'autobus. En raison de sa ponctualité et de sa fréquence, il est attrayant. Il est également moins cher à implanter qu'un métro.

M. Magnon-Pujo a ajouté que l'instauration d'un tramway permettait de repenser l'environnement urbain, «de redessiner, d'apaiser la ville».

Let's Go les Boys!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 3:43 AM
FOXNews = Focktards"R"Us

Dossier tramway à Montréal

Le retour du tramway à Montréal?

Canoë
Jean-Louis Fortin/
10/06/2009 14h17

L’implantation d’un tramway sur l’avenue Du Parc serait la meilleure solution pour désengorger cette artère très achalandée, selon une étude réalisée par cinq finissants en génie civil de l’université McGill. Émilie Fournier, Lee Haber, Philip Sawoszczuk, Herjo Fuertes et Dae‐Hyun Lee ont comparé la mise en place d’un tramway à celle d’un service d’autobus rapide en voie réservée, deux technologies à l’étude dans le Plan de transport de Montréal.

Plan de transport de Mtl - tramway

Tracé du tramway

Actuellement, les autobus de la Société de transport de Montréal (STM), qui assurent le service dans l’axe de l’avenue Du Parc allant de la station de métro Parc jusqu’au boulevard René-Lévesque, y déplacent plus de 27 000 personnes par jour.

«Les autobus sont débordés à tous les jours. Nous nous sommes dits qu’il fallait absolument étudier une alternative», remarque Lee Haber.

Moins cher à long terme

L’étude exhaustive contenue dans un rapport de 157 pages, qui a pris quatre mois de travail, évalue à 241 millions $ le coût d’implantation d’un tramway sur Du Parc, contre 146 millions $ pour la mise en place du service d’autobus rapide.

«Initialement, l’autobus rapide serait moins cher. Mais sur une période de 30 ans, son coût d’exploitation (84 millions $) plus élevé que le tramway (58 millions $), et ses bénéfices externes moins importants, indiquent que le tramway est la meilleure solution», explique Lee.

Les autobus doivent notamment être remplacés après une quinzaine d’années, tandis qu’une voiture de tramway peut être mise en service pendant au moins 30 ans.

Pour tirer leurs conclusions, les chercheurs ont pris en compte une multitude de paramètres dont la réduction de la circulation automobile, les gains en temps pour les voyageurs et l’augmentation de la valeur des propriétés dans le secteur.

Plus rapide

Ainsi, le tramway apporterait un gain de temps significatif, puisqu’il ne mettrait que 14 minutes à parcourir la distance de 5,33 kilomètres, contre 15 minutes pour des autobus en voie dédiée et un peu plus de 23 minutes pour les autobus actuels.

Il pourrait aussi attirer 50 000 personnes par jour, contre 40 000 pour un service de bus rapide en voie dédiée.

En prime, les nouveaux ingénieurs se sont vus décerner un A pour leur travail, en plus de se mériter un prix de Shell Canada pour avoir conçu le meilleur projet du département de génie civil de l’université McGill.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Un «nouveau système de transport» pour la Rive-Sud

L'Agence métropolitaine de transport (AMT) demande 27 millions de dollars au gouvernement du Québec pour réaliser les études nécessaires à la mise au point d'un «nouveau système de transport», aménagé sur le futur pont Champlain, entre la Rive-Sud et Montréal.

Même si l'inauguration du futur pont n'est prévue qu'en 2021, l'AMT estime que le gouvernement du Québec doit se positionner le plus rapidement possible sur le type d'infrastructures de transports collectifs à implanter sur le nouveau pont, qui sera construit sous la direction de Transports Canada.

Dans une entrevue à La Presse, les dirigeants de l'agence n'ont pas fait mystère de leur préférence pour un mode de transport dit lourd comme un système léger sur rail (SLR), un train ou un métro de surface, en raison des hausses de clientèle qui pourraient atteindre 75%, dans ce corridor.

[...]
http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/re...8_accueil_POS3

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal