HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I noticed on the PDF that Frankfurt is listed still with the others for direct service. Does this mean the port will pursue a year round direct to Frankfurt? It came out July 10th and no doubt the seasonal direct to Frankfurt was a done deal before then.
If I'm reading the agreement correctly, there is an International Priority Route (Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris and Tokyo only) New Route Incentive Program that requires the airline to operate at least 8 flights per month continuously for at least a year. (Condor's service to Frankfurt is seasonal, so it wouldn't qualify.)

In addition there's a separate Transoceanic Seasonal New Route Incentive Program that requires an airline to operate at least 2 flights per week for at least 10 weeks. Condor to Frankfurt would qualify for that one. And actually, any city could qualify for that one as long as it's transoceanic.

For example, if Iberia Airlines wanted to fly between Austin and Madrid twice weekly for at least 10 weeks, they would qualify.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 7:01 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
If I'm reading the agreement correctly, there is an International Priority Route (Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris and Tokyo only) New Route Incentive Program that requires the airline to operate at least 8 flights per month continuously for at least a year. (Condor's service to Frankfurt is seasonal, so it wouldn't qualify.)

In addition there's a separate Transoceanic Seasonal New Route Incentive Program that requires an airline to operate at least 2 flights per week for at least 10 weeks. Condor to Frankfurt would qualify for that one. And actually, any city could qualify for that one as long as it's transoceanic.

For example, if Iberia Airlines wanted to fly between Austin and Madrid twice weekly for at least 10 weeks, they would qualify.
Okay thanks alot. I assumed that Frankfurt listed in the international priority routes meant that year round service was still desired despite the new seasonal service. I just wanted to make sure I had it right and clarified.

The Memphis service should be pretty popular I would imagine especially with the music community.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 9:16 PM
BANNED

Rumor going around and I've also heard it from a personal source is that Korean Air (KE) is looking into a U.S. Expansion pretty soon. The cities I am hearing as possibilities for KE service are Detroit, Salt Lake City, San Diego, Austin, and San Jose. I think San Diego and Salt Lake City are locks for KE service. Is far as AUS's chances, I think they're decent but probably not for another 2-3 years.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 9:55 PM

[q

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 10:02 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 10:02 PM

Seoul to SLC seems like the most viable possibility, since such a route would connect two sky-team hubs, which can increase the load on flights because of code shares. Plus, I don't believe SLC has any transpacific routes.

Austin may happen down the line.

Actually, SLC had a flight to Tokyo once because of the Delta-merger and its presence at Narita; it was eventually cut.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 10:10 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Found another interesting article. I've wondered if this is ultimately where ABIA is headed.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7269152

Consider its proximity to the core of the city, the fact that development of all types is beginning to go up close to the airport. We have a world class racetrack and soon the only surfpark minutes from the terminal. ABIA is essentially being surrounded on all sides.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 11:00 PM

Found this while reading that article about Aerotropolis:

Very cool.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 2:18 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
With the new incentive program released I found it weird that Seoul was not included. I would think if KE was looking they would enter a market where they had no competition which would make Austin a logical choice. Both SLC and SAN have n/s service to Asia already and I'm not sure they could support another competing flight.
If they airport knew, and/or if KE was requesting some sort of incentive, they airport authorities have the ability to add cities to that list whenever they find the need to do so.

I would imagine that there have already been some sort of discussions/negotiations with airlines regarding the current transoceanic routes on that list (AMS, FRA, CDG and NRT). Where they are in said negotiations is anyone's guess. It may be safe to assume discussions/negotiations with KE are either dead or had never existed in the first place.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 2:24 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Found another interesting article. I've wondered if this is ultimately where ABIA is headed.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7269152

Consider its proximity to the core of the city, the fact that development of all types is beginning to go up close to the airport. We have a world class racetrack and soon the only surfpark minutes from the terminal. ABIA is essentially being surrounded on all sides.

Wouldn't DFW Airport and the surrounding areas fall somewhat into this category? That area has exploded of course partly due to Dallas' and Fort Worth's natural growth toward each other, but also largely because of the airport. I could see similar things happen in Austin because of the things you've mentioned.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 5:00 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Wouldn't DFW Airport and the surrounding areas fall somewhat into this category? That area has exploded of course partly due to Dallas' and Fort Worth's natural growth toward each other, but also largely because of the airport. I could see similar things happen in Austin because of the things you've mentioned.
Yes and in fact one of the examples mentioned was DFW.

I found the map a little interesting because ABIA does kinda fit in a similar way. It is essentially surrounded on all sides by highways/tollways. 71 to the north, 183 to the east SH45 south and SH130 east and now we are seeing all sorts of different development going on to the east as well as to the west. I think it's just a matter of time before we see a buildup south. Riverside Dr. Is a good example of an areolane linking the core to the port. To a lesser extent 7th despite it being the advertised route to get DT from the airport. IMO Riverside seems more of a gateway than 7th plus you can't beat the view of the city.

I wouldn't really place ABIA as a greenfield as the infrastructure was already in place to begin with, but I guess you could say it had a few characteristics being unconstrained by development around it.

It's not there just yet but it's obvious the growth at the airport is proportional to the city and plays a major and increasingly important role not just for Austin but the region as well. I Would expect that to continue to be the case going forward. There couldn't have been a better location and better timing. I've said this before but we really lucked out when the city started planning for a new airport and the airforce base closing at that time.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 3:32 AM
World Traveler

No kidding - that was good. Wasn't the other idea to purchase land a bit north of the old one or something?

DFW is crazy. My in-laws live about 10 minutes from there to the north. It's still growing and growing the area...talking about adding a Terminal F at some point in the next 5-10 years (sorry, no source for that, I just heard it through the grapevine). We usually fly into and out of DFW when coming back to the States, but I do like ABIA a lot - especially with Salt Lick and Amy's Ice Cream!

I could really see Austin exploding in that direction, especially if they ever fully develop the south terminal/entrance, etc., and get more and more folks utilizing it.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 9:32 AM

I made a point of going through the newly-opened checkpoint 1 and while it was a touch too close to security for me to be comfortable taking a picture, there's this really neat isometric topographical map of the city made of what looks like local limestone around what might be private screening rooms? It's really subtle and I really like it.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 3:18 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearinaustin View Post
I just hope the prices come down for international travel. It is significantly less expensive for me to drive down to San Antonio and fly out from there for international travel right now.. Especially to Mexico.

Would love more options at ABIA.
Interesting read...

How Texas Airports Stack up for Affordability

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 5:04 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
That makes more sense. I wasn't sure where bearinaustin got the idea that Austin was more expensive than SA. Also do they even have any other international routes besides Mexico? I Can't remember off the top of my head if they have a route to Canada or not but even if they do there's no way it's cheaper to drive down there to fly other than probably flights to Monterrey or Mexico City.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 1:07 PM

Quote:
That makes more sense. I wasn't sure where bearinaustin got the idea that Austin was more expensive than SA. Also do they even have any other international routes besides Mexico? I Can't remember off the top of my head if they have a route to Canada or not but even if they do there's no way it's cheaper to drive down there to fly other than probably flights to Monterrey or Mexico City.

Just Mexico according to Wikipedia

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 9:46 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Looks like BA's B772ER to AUS is going to be short-lived. According to this, BA will be switching over to the B789 on February 1, 2016 (for its daily service).

The B789 is roughly the same size as a B772, but, has more cargo capacity.

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Jul 27, 2015 at 10:01 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Looks like BA's B772ER to AUS is going to be short-lived. According to this, BA will be switching over to the B789 on February 1, 2016 (for its daily service).

The B789 is roughly the same size as a B772, but, has more cargo capacity.
Looks like they want to squeeze more cargo in. Still seems like a good fit, and I don't mind that we'll be seeing the 789; it's a nice-looking aircraft with what many say, its "organic design".

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 12:56 AM

THE ABJ had an article today comparing the costs of flying out of Austin and San Antonio:

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...s-cheaper.html

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 3:47 PM

The June numbers are here!

Some interesting notes:

The jetBlue decline seems to be levelling-off
Frontier: +146%; Virgin America +300%; Alaska +55.5%; Allegiant +113%
Total passenger traffic for January – June YTD was 5,593,403, up 9% compared to January – June 2014

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin