HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 10:37 AM

This is an amazing time for not just NYC, not just the USA, but the world as well in my opinion. When will the beacon be up and running though?

(Also this has nothing to do with the building but didn't think it deserves a topic, but how many floors would a 2300 ft building have if it was say designed like the old North tower but at that height)

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 12:26 PM

I find it highly unlikely that the guys will not be installed. They serve an important engineering purpose, and even in a tower which has been value-engineered to death, two things that will not be compromised are safety and structural integrity. They will likely be the last things installed, after the temporary structure has been removed.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 1:11 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheadroom View Post
The beacon has been on every night its been on the roof. Or something that's near or attached to the beacon. It doesn't look that bright. Not sure if all the hook ups are still there though at the top top.
i wonder if there is is photo of that?
if so it seems like they must be continually testing it.

so lets guess the day they turn on the mast tip light show.

i'll guess next weekend. next saturday night the 18th.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 1:33 PM
Imster

I think the building looks similar to the John Hancock Tower in one of the pictures with the sun descending and the fascade of the building in darkness but showing the shape. I do think building will look good when fully complete. I still think that WTC 2 should look similar to WTC1 it still on hold and this is a time to really put pressure on the developers to make WTC2 to be like WTC1 - doubt it will happen but worth a try. The spirit of the twin towers needs to be revived. Furthermore I think a 2000ft skyscraper to the roof with a spire would look stunning in NYC - its long overdue imo

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 2:02 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Please, not a discussion about the Twins. There are multiple threads for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
Where is 1,776' measured from. The lobby to the beacon or above the beacon at the top. They said today's lift was 75' tall.
It won't really matter, because the lobby itself is about 5 ft above the north entrance. People who enter from that side will go up a flight of stairs to enter the lobby.
But all of that will come to light later when the true height figures are revealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
If the entire spire is lit up like this, the light shows will be SPECTACULAR.
Look to the Conde Nast antenna for an idea of what it will look like. Durst has previously said that the lighting of the 3 towers - BofA, Conde Nast, and Freedom would play off of each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
As someone already suggested before, it seems like those guy wires on the mast are not necessary - since the entire thing is up now.
Maybe they were just needed if the radome would have been installed?
They've been there since the beginning, before radome was being planned. There are fewer of them now though.
Early on it was thought that the number of wires would add to the spire's appearance.

Well, here we are the day after the tower has gone as high as it will go. Putting aside the discussion of how the thing looks for the moment, it was a significant
historical moment for the city and the country. Thanks to the media, we know have a counter-image to 9/11. A final piece going up instead of coming down.

And where in the aftermath of 9/11, the skyline looked scarred and broken, the city continued to build. First in Midtown, and then back Downtown, and then to Queens and Brooklyn
and even Jersey City. Overall, we have a better looking skyline than we did then, and as crazy as it may seem from looking at these photos, the best is yet to come. While the last
decade was talk of how slow the skyline was healing itself, the next decade will have us amazed at the changes we see. Eventually, things will simmer down for a while,
but its an amazing era to be alive in and to witness this.

Just an amazing and inspiring skyline.

Video Link

Photos (some posted already) from....
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1341011
http://dreadfulpenny.tumblr.com/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 4:29 PM

Please view large and in hd

Video Link

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 4:54 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 5:06 PM

One World Trade Center Spire Installation Time-Lapse & Video by EarthCam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hzGkh1JfUw

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 5:07 PM

Great Pics NYguy, thanks for posting them!

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 6:52 PM

©tectonic

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 7:05 PM

Very cool to see. 1WTC is beautiful.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 9:17 PM
Editor

Awesome update pics!

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 9:19 PM
Editor

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 9:22 PM
SWFC and ICC R Best

I just can't believe how it TOWERS over 8 Spruce, and 8 Spruce is no dwarf. Great photos over the last several days guys.. Tectonic your 6th photo is GREAT. Shows how intricate the corners are. Well done...

Last edited by bigreach; May 11, 2013 at 10:13 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
I just can't believe how it TOWERS over 8 Spruce, and 8 Spruce is no dwarf. Great photos over the last several days guys.. Tectonic your 6th photo is GREAT. Shows how intricate the corners are. Well done...
I agree with you. Beekman Tower aka 8 Spruce is a big Tower. Just think One World Trade Center including the spire/mast is more than twice the height of 8 Spruce. (876*2=1,752) 1WTC=1,792' or 1,797' 8"

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 11:30 PM

Shiny

©tectonic

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 1:35 AM
New Yorker for life

Before the beacon...

PBIN2351

Full height

semitone

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 1:36 AM

Am I the only one underwhelmed by the final result?

I was hoping it would reach past 2000feet. But then again, I understand the significance of the height. I'm disappointed in the actual height of the building though. I would have loved for the building to be 1776 feet high with a spire that pierced 2000 feet.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 1:45 AM

I never had hope for 2,000' 1,776' is the only number that has been used for many years now. So 1,776' it is. Now i want to see the beacon and led lights turned on.

Last edited by sw5710; May 12, 2013 at 2:00 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 2:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Am I the only one underwhelmed by the final result?

I was hoping it would reach past 2000feet. But then again, I understand the significance of the height. I'm disappointed in the actual height of the building though. I would have loved for the building to be 1776 feet high with a spire that pierced 2000 feet.
Look at it now the mast is already too tall and you want it to be 2000ft that would just look laughable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive