Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadcastthatboom View Post
When's that lantern supposed to be lit up again? It looks weird at night all dark on top.
That goes for the entire skyline. What a sad and weak lighting scheme the whole thing has now.

The lantern looks so out of place against the other buildings that have barely any light emanating from them. 1 and 2 LP could look fantastic with brighter lights (especially ones that can do "movement"), Mellon actually doesn't look too bad now, BAT needs brighter spotlights, CC1 needs a whole revamp, and DiBona and the Mickey Mouse towers should have either spotlights or... something. Philly looks like a sleepy little town at night, when it should at least look like a half-awake medium town. Ideally a bright and vibrant big town, but let's not go to far.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R5Ryder View Post
That goes for the entire skyline. What a sad and weak lighting scheme the whole thing has now.

The lantern looks so out of place against the other buildings that have barely any light emanating from them. 1 and 2 LP could look fantastic with brighter lights (especially ones that can do "movement")
2 LP is capable of movement. It's rarely used and you can hardly notice it from afar unless it's a clear night.

Quote:
Mellon actually doesn't look too bad now, BAT needs brighter spotlights,
Mellon is really nice and has an array of different colors and patterns they can go through. Their Christmas and New Years themes have been pretty elaborate if you've haven seen. That said there used to be more lighting on the building, namely the base of the pyramid and underneath the arch structures below that and I think taking those lights away too away from the building a bit.

Now as to 3 Logan Square (BAT), I'm pretty they're using the same flood lights they've been using to light the building since it opened. Whenever they want to do colors they have to place filters on the lamps like its the 70s.

Quote:
CC1 needs a whole revamp,
agreed

Quote:
and DiBona and the Mickey Mouse towers should have either spotlights or... something. Philly looks like a sleepy little town at night, when it should at least look like a half-awake medium town. Ideally a bright and vibrant big town, but let's not go to far.
DiBona actually has lights. They just haven't used them in like 20 years. There are two light strips on either side of the roof of the building and those cutout areas that run up the corners of the building all have lights. If I remember correctly they were a very light blue color.

I don't think anyone wants to see Commerce Square towers lit up. Bad enough we have to see them during the day lol.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekt8750 View Post
DiBona actually has lights. They just haven't used them in like 20 years. There are two light strips on either side of the roof of the building and those cutout areas that run up the corners of the building all have lights. If I remember correctly they were a very light blue color.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R5Ryder View Post

The lantern looks so out of place against the other buildings that have barely any light emanating from them. 1 and 2 LP could look fantastic with brighter lights (especially ones that can do "movement"), Mellon actually doesn't look too bad now, BAT needs brighter spotlights, CC1 needs a whole revamp, and DiBona and the Mickey Mouse towers should have either spotlights or... something. Philly looks like a sleepy little town at night, when it should at least look like a half-awake medium town. Ideally a bright and vibrant big town, but let's not go to far.
It's pretty funny to me that these building owners have $500mm properties yet when confronted with the option of a bright, visually dynamic LED lighting scheme that positively identifies their trophy tower on the skyline but would cost them $5k a year in costs; or, a dull, lifeless, barely visible LED scheme that costs them $1250 most are making the same choice...

Credit to FMC, that thing is out there glowing.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 12:25 PM

Yes, they did a nice jorb with FMC. I haven’t seen Cira at night lately, but that also looked nice, though I think that spotlights that would make it glow like a crystal would be nice to highlight its unique (in philly) shape.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 12:55 AM

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
It's pretty funny to me that these building owners have $500mm properties yet when confronted with the option of a bright, visually dynamic LED lighting scheme that positively identifies their trophy tower on the skyline but would cost them $5k a year in costs; or, a dull, lifeless, barely visible LED scheme that costs them $1250 most are making the same choice...

Credit to FMC, that thing is out there glowing.

I flew into Philly around 9pm a couple weeks ago on a perfectly beautiful & clear night & could barely see the city, really had to strain to identify it from any kind of distance. It's shameful really

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 1:10 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrD8Isqj-Hr/
^someone photoshopped the blue tape off from the south side - it's still there in actuality, see below).

----

https://www.instagram.com/tk4photo/?hl=en
----

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrFvICfDG1H/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrBTNpGA1ji/

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 2:59 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
^someone photoshopped the blue tape off from the south side - it's still there in actuality, see below).
I think the blue's visibility is just washed out by the bright sunlight in the first photo.

I also realized I can see the blue very plainly even from my back window all the way down on Christian St.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 4:30 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Looks like the yellow stain portion of the latern on CTC is gone. Don't know if they cleaned it or what. But, glad it is not noticeable anymore.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 10:47 PM

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 1:05 PM

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 1:13 PM

TK, great shots! BTW, those are actually Apache helicopters, not Black Hawks.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 2:55 PM

I really really hate how this building looks on the Philly skyline. Sorry but I do. I really liked the first one at 975 feet. I have tried to like this one but I just can't.

Now Philly needs to build something even taller and more dominant to cancel this one out some. JMHO.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:25 PM

Unfortunately, this building's massing is so awkward and top heavy - it only looks decent from certain angles. But when viewed straight on from the north or south, it looks terrible. And a building only looks good from certain angles, how wonderful can it really be?

I really think that most of the love for this building comes from homers with biased opinions. I'm curious if there are people from outside of the region who like this tower.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy View Post
I really really hate how this building looks on the Philly skyline. Sorry but I do. I really liked the first one at 975 feet. I have tried to like this one but I just can't.

Now Philly needs to build something even taller and more dominant to cancel this one out some. JMHO.
Yeah, I really wish one of the vacant lots on West Market would generate a better designed super tall. A nice mixed use project that could have a residential, commercial, and even hotel component. And I'd be fine with a lot remaining a parking lot until market conditions are adequate to generate such a building. There is that current proposal around 500 ft for 2120 Market that is currently stalled where something big could go. The parking lot next to PECO on the other side of the street may actually be bigger, but I think it needs some pollution remediation.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Yeah, I really wish one of the vacant lots on West Market would generate a better designed super tall. A nice mixed use project that could have a residential, commercial, and even hotel component. And I'd be fine with a lot remaining a parking lot until market conditions are adequate to generate such a building. There is that current proposal around 500 ft for 2120 Market that is currently stalled where something big could go. The parking lot next to PECO on the other side of the street may actually be bigger, but I think it needs some pollution remediation.
Don't forget the Disney Hole on East Market! It is probably the most qualified lot in the city for a supertall other than the Schuylkill Yards.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Don't forget the Disney Hole on East Market! It is probably the most qualified lot in the city for a supertall other than the Schuylkill Yards.
It's probably the most qualified lot in ANY city for a supertall.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 11:26 PM

"The parking lot next to PECO on the other side of the street may actually be bigger, but I think it needs some pollution remediation."[/QUOTE]

I don't think PECO wants anything tall in that lot that would obscure their digital billboard. If I'm not mistaken, I think PECO has air rights around the building.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 4:13 AM

Save the SS United States!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture