HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 7:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Videos like this always make me wish those rings were observation levels...

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 5:57 AM

A passing view...

https://flic.kr/p/pU2VtM

https://flic.kr/p/oXtm1K

I assume the circular object just above the mechanical floors will be the restaurant.

https://flic.kr/p/pBVmaB

Last edited by JZeig1; Nov 2, 2014 at 11:44 AM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 1:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Caught this earlier today....

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 11:07 PM
don't *meddle*...

Lower Manhattan by c_slavik, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 1:06 AM
New Yorker for life

BTW, for the people who are still confused - even after all this time - about what not to call, or call this tower, there is a thread for you. This isn't it. Consider this the advanced class, and you do not belong here.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 1:43 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 2:49 AM

the lighting probably would have looked something like this if the spire were clad.

lower Manhattan One World Trade Center by pmarella, on Flickr

Last edited by Hudson11; Nov 3, 2014 at 3:02 AM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 3:31 AM

Finally, Tenants at One World Trade Center

One World Trade Center stands at the end of Fulton Street in lower Manhattan. BLOOMBERG NEWS

By KEIKO MORRIS
Nov. 2, 2014 9:06 p.m. ET

Quote:
Louis Medina, a security guard at One World Trade Center, couldn’t control his emotions as he thought about Monday, the first day at work for the skyscraper’s first group of office workers, 175 employees of publishing giant Condé Nast.

“Even 10 years from now, my son will ask me or my daughter will ask me, and I will be like, ‘I was there when the building opened [and] my job was to protect the building,’ ” said Mr. Medina, before succumbing to tears. “A lot of people don’t get a chance to be a part of history even if it is a small part.”

Mr. Medina’s passion represents just one of the layers of meaning surrounding the reintroduction of daily office life on the site where more than 2,700 people lost their lives in the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

For many, Monday’s milestone is largely economic, evidence of the continuing reinvigoration of lower Manhattan. And for Condé Nast, the move from Times Square to One World Trade Center symbolizes a corporate pivot toward the digital future for the company that produces the New Yorker, Vogue and Vanity Fair.

And then, of course, there are the more mundane concerns.

“My biggest fears about this are getting all my crap packed in time and the certainty that the first three days in the new building I am accidentally going to take the train here [to the Bryant Park stop],” said Devin Gordon, senior articles editor at GQ, whose team is scheduled to move on Dec. 12.

But mostly he is looking forward to the move. “I am a subscriber to the environment affecting productivity and creativity, and I think we can all use a change of scenery.”

The Condé Nast employees who start work Monday at One World Trade Center, including Chief Executive Chuck Townsend, are the first of some 3,400 of the company’s workers who eventually will occupy 1.2 million square feet in the 104-story tower over the next several months.

A view to the Statue of Liberty from the 63rd floor of One World Trade Center. CHICAGO TRIBUNE/MCT/ABACA PRESS

When it agreed in 2011 to move into the tower, Condé Nast took on the mantle as a pioneer in lower Manhattan’s revitalization, much as it did for once-scruffy Times Square when it moved there in 1999 from Madison Avenue. The move also tracks broad shifts within the company itself.

“We are moving into a full media company, offering a broad number of platforms, most of them digital platforms, and that process transforms the entire culture,” Mr. Townsend said. “Sometimes the surroundings really contribute to a change in culture.”

While the financial-services industry had dominated downtown for decades, Condé Nast’s commitment to One World Trade helped to draw an influx of different kinds of companies, said Jessica Lappin, president of the Alliance for Downtown New York, an association of local businesses and property owners. The company and its famous editorial figures are considered “taste makers and place makers,” Ms. Lappin said.

“People are buzzing, where will Anna Wintour [editor in chief of Vogue] get her hair cut,” she said. “Where will people go to get their nails done; where will they eat lunch; where will they shop for clothes?”

The development around the new building has slowly come into focus since 2001. Years of political wrangling and economic difficulties slowed the development at the former site of the Twin Towers, where a smaller tower is open and financing for another appeared secure last week.

Another milestone in the area was the May opening of the National September 11th Memorial & Museum. For many personally affected by Sept. 11, the presence of the memorial and its plaza means the new World Trade Center complex is far more than an upscale office district.

“I am happy we’ve gotten to this point, though it may have taken longer than we hoped,” said Lee Ielpi, a retired city firefighter who lost his son, also a firefighter, on Sept. 11 and who is board president of the September 11th Families’ Association. “I would hope that Condé Nast understands that this is good ground that building sits on, sacred ground. In that respect yes, we must rebuild, but we must never ever forget why we’re building it.”

The tower is owned by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and the Durst Organization, a New York family-run real-estate company. The building and its security plans were designed with input from the New York Police Department, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Central Intelligence Agency, said Steve Plate, director of World Trade construction for the Port Authority.

“We’re getting to the end of the journey,” said Mr. Plate. “To me it’s joyous but also a bit of sadness for all the friends [lost on Sept. 11] and the challenges we worked through these 10-plus years.”

The introduction of regular office life to the building is expected to help speed its office leasing. In May, the owners cut asking rents nearly 10% to $69 a square foot for larger tenants on the tower’s middle floors.

Since then, the building has signed about 100,000 square feet of deals with six tenants, according to Durst, which manages leasing with Cushman & Wakefield Inc. That represents about 3.3% of the tower’s office space. Overall, One World Trade Center’s office space is slightly more than 58% leased.

Prospective tenants still ask questions about the tower’s safety—but far less frequently, said Tara Stacom, executive vice chairman at Cushman, who is leading the firm’s leasing team at One World Trade Center.

“Time has moved on and New Yorkers are so resilient and forward thinking,” Ms. Stacom said. “I don’t get the questions like we used to when we first started out.”
http://online.wsj.com/articles/final.../new-york-main

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Video Link
Wow! What a great view!! I like outside. It is a beautiful day. You can see a whole world. How did you guys get on the top of WTC1 without permission by security?

Quote:
Caught this earlier today....

Video Link
Wow! What a great shots! When the Observation decks is open for public? Can we have a invitations? Can I do photography? I would like to go on the tour opportunity for me.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 7:32 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Wow! What a great shots! When the Observation decks is open for public? Can we have a invitations? Can I do photography? I would like to go on the tour opportunity for me.
Seriously?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/03/ny...is-remade.html

Condé Nast Moves Into the World Trade Center as Lower Manhattan Is Remade

By CHARLES V BAGLI
NOV. 2, 2014

Quote:
On Monday morning, Charles Townsend, chief executive of Condé Nast, will lead the employees, mostly executive and administrative workers, inside the tower, past the discreet silver letters spelling out Condé Nast and over to the elevators. Floor-to-ceiling windows provide spectacular views. There will be little pomp and circumstance, in part because Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo is on the campaign trail and unable to attend. In a statement released on Sunday night, Mr. Cuomo said, “We remember that strength and courage will always conquer weakness and cowardice.”

A more formal ceremony marking the move may happen before the end of the year. It will be February before the company is completely relocated to Lower Manhattan.

It will occupy floors 20 through 44, a total of 1.2 million square feet.

Anna Wintour, the editor of Vogue magazine who inspired the novel and film “The Devil Wears Prada,” will move to the 25th floor along with her staff, while Graydon Carter, the editor of Vanity Fair, will take the 41st floor.

Mr. Townsend and the executive suite will be housed on 42.

But Condé’s highest, and presumably most sought after floor, is going to the company’s law firm, Sabin, Bermant & Gould.

Condé Nast is not the first to move into the trade center towers. Last Monday, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey began moving into its space at 4 World Trade Center, a 72-story tower built by developer Larry Silverstein that opened last year.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 3, 2014 at 8:43 AM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 1:29 PM

Quote:

Video Link
Videos like this always make me wish they were shot in HD...

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 2:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It's probably a well intentioned idea, but not thought out. For one thing, as I said earlier, if a developer wants to and can build taller, he will. But more importantly, trying to honor the Freedom Tower by not topping that 1,776 ft mark misses the main reason for that building being built. It was not simply to honor the year 1776, but to restore that same spirit that built the original complex. To build high, and higher even. Originally, there were those who thought New York would and should never build tall again. That fear mongering gave way to the "voice" of New Yorkers who demanded something tall be built to restore the skyline. That the city would not bow down to the threat of terrorism, which will always be with us anyway. And that's what we got. Trying to stunt the skyline, while maybe well intentioned, flies in the face of that. You honor the World Trade Center by building with that same spirit. Stopping the spire just a foot short is much too obvious.
...Crosspost from 217 W 57th...

+1!

Did you guys see SNL on Saturday? Skip to the 2:00 mark to see Chris Rock, who is now forever on my shit list, remark on the Freedom Tower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8UtV2bER-U

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 3:02 PM

https://flic.kr/p/oXtm1K

I assume the circular object just above the mechanical floors will be the restaurant.

lol, no. Not at all. The circular object above the mechanical floors will hold some ugly communications equipment. Just like the "spire" will.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
How much where the tickets for the original WTC observation deck? I know inflation and price changes have occurred, but I'm curious how it stacks up against the $32.

I guess considering the ESB is $29, its really not that pricey for the deck.
I still have my ticket stub from when I went up the WTC in 1994. It doesn't have a price on it, but I think it was in the ballpark of $9-$10.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Seriously?
Yes, I would consider that. I would like to go on the tour opportunity for me.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 4:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Yes, I would consider that. I would like to go on the tour opportunity for me.
When the observation deck opens, I'm sure you will like the view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
...Crosspost from 217 W 57th...

+1!

Did you guys see SNL on Saturday? Skip to the 2:00 mark to see Chris Rock, who is now forever on my shit list, remark on the Freedom Tower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8UtV2bER-U
Chris Rock didn't say anything a lot of people don't think. There are people who are afraid to go inside the building. But just like his commentary on the marathon, the marathons go on, and people will continue to work in tall office buildings, even this one, which ironically is probably one of the safest on the planet. Because most people choose to get on with their lives, and not give in to fear.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/first...ork-1415031316

First World Trade Center Employees Arrive
About 175 Employees of Condé Nast Arrived for Their First Day of Work in the Glistening, 104-story Tower

By KEIKO MORRIS
Nov. 3, 2014

Remembering when the concepts for a tall tower first emerged for the site...

Models of six concept plans for the World Trade Center site in this July 16, 2002, photo, at Federal Hall in New York.
KATHY WILLENS/ASSOCIATED PRESS

Libeskind's site plan...

David Childs's revision...

Further revision...

Early construction...

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 3, 2014 at 5:04 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 5:31 PM

Last Week

Crap shot from the Palisades

Phone Pics:

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 7:01 PM

In honor of the tower's opening to tenants, here is my video documentation over the past four years. Quite a few of these have been posted here, especially the most recent ones, but I'm reposting them for the sake of the compilation. The older videos have definitely not been posted here in years.

---

June 2010

Video Link

One of the last months when the tower was still too short to be visible on the skyline.

---

September 2010

Video Link

As seen up close from the West Side Highway.

---

March 2011

Video Link

---

June 2011

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

---

September 2011

Video Link

---

September 2012

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

---

May 2014

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

---

June 2014

Video Link

Video Link

---

July 2014

Video Link

---

August 2014

Video Link

---

September 2014

Video Link

Sorry for potato quality, but at 30x zoom and at night, there is only so much that I can do.

Video Link

If you scroll through the comments, you'll see that, apparently, CBS news has made a request yesterday to use the video in their broadcast. I watched a re-run of the broadcast online, and didn't catch any of it. Did it not make the cut? Did I miss the right broadcast?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 7:36 PM

The wait is finally over

Any idea when we can get pics of the main lobby and some of the offices?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 7:51 PM

^^^
that's the south lobby, courtesy of https://twitter.com/ryanchutchins

From the 63rd floor

https://twitter.com/ryanchutchins

Last edited by sparkling; Nov 3, 2014 at 8:05 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive