HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 6:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Those stats come out in June, I believe

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 8:04 PM

Thanks!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:54 PM

Interesting paywalled TJ reporting:

"Mayor Dawn Arnold announced that Kimberly Christie-Gallant has been appointed as a new member of the Codiac Regional Policing Authority. Christie-Gallant is a retired teacher who, in 2022, went to city council with a petition called “Make Moncton Safe Again”. Her petition sparked a series of public meetings where residents vented their frustrations about property crimes, drug use and vagrancy. Those meetings formed the basis for an action plan by the city and RCMP."

Seems like the right person for the job.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 5:35 PM

IDK. It’s now two years later. Is Moncton safe again?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 6:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Good question. I know the vibrancy that once was downtown Moncton is mostly gone. Hopefully with all the new residential construction happening, downtown will once again be a lively area.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 6:38 PM

I was downtown Saturday at the market and did a walk around Main Street and along the river front and then was back downtown around 7 for dinner. It really wasn’t bad, it was very busy at the market, the river was busy, lots of people walking, biking and even roller blading between the courthouse and Chateau. When I returned in the evening, I saw one homeless person, same one I saw outside the market. It didn’t feel unsafe, just quiet. I think that the Ashford development, icon and the Bernard’s square once all built will make a huge difference downtown.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 7:24 PM

Quote:
She was just appointed- previously she had just been a rightfully-annoyed citizen.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 7:34 PM

Fair point……..although when it comes to homelessness, drugs and the connected petty crime I’m not sure there actually is an answer.

Or, if there is it is too unpalatable given today’s values.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
I was downtown Saturday at the market and did a walk around Main Street and along the river front and then was back downtown around 7 for dinner. It really wasn’t bad, it was very busy at the market, the river was busy, lots of people walking, biking and even roller blading between the courthouse and Chateau. When I returned in the evening, I saw one homeless person, same one I saw outside the market. It didn’t feel unsafe, just quiet. I think that the Ashford development, icon and the Bernard’s square once all built will make a huge difference downtown.
Good to hear. I haven't walked downtown for quite a while. I've driven along Main Street frequently, and it just doesn't seem to have the same vibe as it did pre covid. I think the Ashford development behind Assomption Place will be a key to getting people downtown, replacing the people who have gone to work at home.

Another thing that would help, is if the empty downtown office space could be converted to residential. But you'd think that would have already happened if it were feasible. There's a lot of vacant space that's been listed for ages.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 12:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

When Ashford/Downing is complete, and when St . Bernard Place is complete, there will be quite a lively node in the east end of the downtown core, extending from FiveFive Queen, past city hall, and across Main to the Blue Cross Centre and the Ashford/Downing complex down as far as Riverfront Park.

There will be a second lively node in the west end of the downtown core where the "entertainment district" is slowly developing, centred on the Avenir Centre, and the nearby hotels and restaurants.

The problem will be in connecting the two districts together. The very centre of the core feels a little hollowed out. There should be a plan to make the core a single integrated whole...........

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Good to hear. I haven't walked downtown for quite a while. I've driven along Main Street frequently, and it just doesn't seem to have the same vibe as it did pre covid. I think the Ashford development behind Assomption Place will be a key to getting people downtown, replacing the people who have gone to work at home.

Another thing that would help, is if the empty downtown office space could be converted to residential. But you'd think that would have already happened if it were feasible. There's a lot of vacant space that's been listed for ages.
I used to work downtown and am also frequently downtown for events at Avenir or dining out. In my over 20 years of doing that experience is that downtown is relatively quiet from November to April and that has nothing to do with the homeless population or personal safety issues. It's just the cyclical nature of things and a somewhat cultural thing with Monctonians. There is exceptions to this with events like the Santa clause parade, New Year's Eve, busier Wildcats games or concert nights.

The Ian Fowler oval was helpful for this where it created a public gathering area for activity, but that area is cut off from Eastern area of downtown so you could just as easily have no idea that's going on.

Many of the restaurants downtown in winter it's actually hard to tell they are busy. Some of the popular spots are on side streets (pumphouse, furnace room, st James gate) and others like Old Triangle & happy brewing are somewhat hard to even see in the windows. A perfect example of this is when Avenir hosted the top prospects game. I went downtown expecting to grab a beer before the game and was amazed that despite the streets not looking busy, I could not get in to any of the 5-6 restaurants and pubs I tried to go to as they were all full.

When May comes and the weather is good it's as of suddenly the entire city wakes up, patios being out suddenly gives a feeling of busy restaurants and busy streets. There are events going on monthly and of course we have actual tourists in the city.

I don't believe this pattern will change much in the short term but it should improve in 5 years with a much larger population living downtown.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

When Ashford/Downing is complete, and when St . Bernard Place is complete, there will be quite a lively node in the east end of the downtown core, extending from FiveFive Queen, past city hall, and across Main to the Blue Cross Centre and the Ashford/Downing complex down as far as Riverfront Park.

There will be a second lively node in the west end of the downtown core where the "entertainment district" is slowly developing, centred on the Avenir Centre, and the nearby hotels and restaurants.

The problem will be in connecting the two districts together. The very centre of the core feels a little hollowed out. There should be a plan to make the core a single integrated whole...........

I don't think many realize how massive this project is, it will stretch all the way to the 3 Sisters when it's 100% completed.

I used this tool to calculate the square footage/aces: https://www.mapdevelopers.com/area_finder.php

The total area for the project is close to 15 acres (14.84) which doesn't include the 2 brothers, 3 sisters + rumored projects between the 3 sisters and maritime windows. 15 acres is really underselling it when you factor all the neighboring projects.

In comparison Fundy Quay total area is closer to 6 acres (5.78). The scale of this project in total is nearly THREE times the size of the Fundy Quay.

Last edited by MonctonGoldenTri; Apr 18, 2024 at 12:25 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 1:13 PM

That's very promising and exciting when you put it that way. It's so hard to visualize all of it without some metrics to go by.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new kid in town View Post

That's very promising and exciting when you put it that way. It's so hard to visualize all of it without some metrics to go by.
indeed, and that's not to take anything away from Fundy Quay, but to help people visualize how massive this development is.

To put things in another perspective how are smaller project compares:
Three sisters = 3.5 acres
Two Brothers = 3.35 acres

Those two projects combined are 6.85 acres, a just under 20% larger in scale compared to Fundy Quay.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenTri View Post
The total area for the project is close to 15 acres (14.84) which doesn't include the 2 brothers, 3 sisters + rumored projects between the 3 sisters and maritime windows. 15 acres is really underselling it when you factor all the neighboring projects.
Keenly interested in these rumours.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Keenly interested in these rumours.
From what I read here Lafford properties purchased the property where the drive/through Tim Horton's used to be. I think MonctonRad speculated another 15s building.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenTri View Post
From what I read here Lafford properties purchased the property where the drive/through Tim Horton's used to be. I think MonctonRad speculated another 15s building.
Can someone verify if that is indeed who purchased this property?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 1:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I believe it has been confirmed. Nearly 100% certain.

What Lafford has in mind is another question, but I would not be surprised to see something of similar stature to the Three Sisters or the "two brothers", meaning, in the 15-20 storey range.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 1:29 PM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Lafford is using it to stage gravel

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces