HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 8:45 PM

Irishtown Nature Park

Anyone know what they are doing adjacent to the front parking lot at the Nature Park? There seems to be quite a lot of activity there. Completely speculation but it would be a great spot for a lodge of some sort, like the one they have in Mapleton. There were some signs that went up today, but it was just the construction company...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 4:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I would say the new Kent store on Harrisville is ready to move in to. The only thing missing on the outside is the exterior signage.

I see that traffic lights have also been installed at the Harrisville/Marriott intersection. They aren't operational yet. i wonder if the city got Irving to kick in on the cost of these lights?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukepaa View Post
Anyone know what they are doing adjacent to the front parking lot at the Nature Park? There seems to be quite a lot of activity there. Completely speculation but it would be a great spot for a lodge of some sort, like the one they have in Mapleton. There were some signs that went up today, but it was just the construction company...
I just heard it's a parking lot expansion, but not sure.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I would say the new Kent store on Harrisville is ready to move in to. The only thing missing on the outside is the exterior signage.

I see that traffic lights have also been installed at the Harrisville/Marriott intersection. They aren't operational yet. i wonder if the city got Irving to kick in on the cost of these lights?
Yes they might be ahead of schedule. An employee had told me that they originally planned to open in 2014.

The foundation work seems done at that mystery building next to the Jean-Coutu on Dieppe blvd. It's a really large footprint. Likely a strip mall of some kind I'd say. Strange that there are no renders or on site advertisement or ''for lease'' signs though.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
I just heard it's a parking lot expansion, but not sure.
There is a foundation that has been poured…So I'm thinking that there is more to it than that...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 6:43 PM
Our Tide is Rising

I agree with lukepaa there is definitely a structure going there.

In other news Caledonia Park is seeing more development,

There is something going up between G4S and Chandlers on Frenette (near Irving Personal Care). I would say its a medium size lot. It was cleared earlier in the summer but in the past week it has become a hive of activity.

Also there has been a very large lot cleared at the corner of Frenette and Deware. Same block as the "big guys" McKesson and Matrix (Shoppers). Don't know if this means immediate development or what but something is afoot.

Speaking of "big guys" the newest one in that category (Kent) looks simply gigantic up close...I had seen it from the highway like many of you I'm sure but I was on the site last week and it's HUGE!!! Looks like they have a couple months left of work on that site at least.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
I agree with lukepaa there is definitely a structure going there.

In other news Caledonia Park is seeing more development,

There is something going up between G4S and Chandlers on Frenette (near Irving Personal Care). I would say its a medium size lot. It was cleared earlier in the summer but in the past week it has become a hive of activity.

Also there has been a very large lot cleared at the corner of Frenette and Deware. Same block as the "big guys" McKesson and Matrix (Shoppers). Don't know if this means immediate development or what but something is afoot.

Speaking of "big guys" the newest one in that category (Kent) looks simply gigantic up close...I had seen it from the highway like many of you I'm sure but I was on the site last week and it's HUGE!!! Looks like they have a couple months left of work on that site at least.
The contractor is schedule to competed the Kent Warehouse around March 2014. The whole pace of construction has been amazing for a project this size (approximately 380,000 of covered space - including the canopy).

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 3:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I see that UdeM has issued a request for expressions of interest from developers for a potential medical complex, conference centre and hotel on their "research and development lands" north of Elmwood Drive Morton Avenue.

This of course does not mean that anything is actually going to happen here, but it is obvious that the university is interested in partnering with private interests in developing the endowment lands.

The medical complex, if built, presumably would be associated with (and adjacent to) the medical school building, which is also located north of Elmwood Drive Morton Avenue.

If I was to guess, I would say the medical complex is definitely on the wish list for the university. They are probably just fishing as far as the hotel and conference centre are concerned........

Last edited by MonctonRad; Nov 21, 2013 at 12:07 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 4:58 PM

Quote:
I see that UdeM has issued a request for expressions of interest from developers for a potential medical complex, conference centre and hotel on their "research and development lands" north of Elmwood Drive.

This of course does not mean that anything is actually going to happen here, but it is obvious that the university is interested in partnering with private interests in developing the endowment lands.

The medical complex, if built, presumably would be associated with (and adjacent to) the medical school building, which is also located north of Elmwood Drive.

If I was to guess, I would say the medical complex is definitely on the wish list for the university. They are probably just fishing as far as the hotel and conference centre are concerned........
Sounds great. These kinds of developments are great for the city.

I'm sure you meant to say Morton avenue, not Elmwood.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 5:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
I'm sure you meant to say Morton avenue, not Elmwood.
Indeed I did mean Morton - whoops.....

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 12:34 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

And in other UdeM news, I see they are in the process of tearing up the infield at the Moncton Stadium in preparation for laying the new artificial turf surface mandated for the FIFA U18 Women's World Cup in 2014 and the FIFA Women's World Cup in 2015. Lots of earth being moved right now.

It was partly because of construction activity related to this that the Uteck Bowl stayed at MacAuley Field in Sackville rather than going to the Moncton Stadium. Despite this, I think it was obviously the right move to hold the event in Sackville in any event. The atmosphere down there for the game was fantastic. If the Uteck Bowl is ever hosted by Mt A again, I think it should be held in Sackville. You would lose a lot of the atmosphere by holding the event off-campus.

When the dust settles for the FIFA events, Moncton will have four new artificial turf fields:
- Bernice MacNaughton High School
- Harrison Trimble High School
- The Moncton Stadium at UdeM
- Rocky Stone Field at Centennial Park (a replacement for the existing surface).

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 1:54 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The agenda from the November PAC meeting includes an item indicating they are planning a major expansion to that nice looking apartment building on Lewisville Road located between Leon's Furniture and the Humphrey Brook Trail.

Stelor Holdings is seeking a variance to allow them to build a four storey expansion to the building adding about 60 units and roughly doubling the size of the building.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 2:35 AM

Quote:
The agenda from the November PAC meeting includes an item indicating they are planning a major expansion to that nice looking apartment building on Lewisville Road located between Leon's Furniture and the Humphrey Brook Trail.

Stelor Holdings is seeking a variance to allow them to build a four storey expansion to the building adding about 60 units and roughly doubling the size of the building.
Looks fine. I was hoping however to see some height on that lot. The Lewisville area is very central in the city in close proximity to downtown, the mall, UdeM and Humphrey brook trail, it's no wonder so many units have been added there in the past few years. Seems a bit short sighted to add another sprawly 4-story suburban style building with a huge footprint in that area.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 3:31 AM

Yeah it would be nice to see some 6-8 story building go up in the city. Even in Charlottetown's downtown, there is not many apartment buildings bigger then 4-5 stories.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 2:09 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

From the City of Moncton website:

New traffic signals on Harrisville Boulevard

November 25, 2013

MONCTON – The City of Moncton would like to advise the motoring public that new traffic signals at the intersection of Harrisville Boulevard at Marriott Drive and Babineau Boulevard will be in operations effective at 6 a.m. on Wednesday, November 27, 2013.

Motorists are asked to pay extra attention when traveling on Harrisville Boulevard.

The City appreciates the cooperation of the motoring public.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 10:09 PM

I found a picture of an interchange style that could successfully replace the champlain traffic circle:

Any thoughts?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I found a picture of an interchange style that could successfully replace the champlain traffic circle:

Any thoughts?
I like the idea of a straight through access from Bostford to Veteran's Highway without going around the traffic circle.

However, the cost of this idea would be too much for the minor inconvenience which is happening now.

I would rather see this money go towards placing an overpass at the Bostford/Wheeler intersection. I think this would help the traffic flow better around the swamp circle.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 10:56 PM

The other thing I thought of was, what if the church street overpass was taken down, and a at grade intersection was built, then if you had Wheeler go over top of the botsford intersection, tracks and the church street intersection. You could have ramps connected at both of the intersections. So the current highway between church and botsford, would be below the new highway.
I would like to see the original plans for wheeler, to see if there was anything else different they had proposed.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
I like the idea of a straight through access from Bostford to Veteran's Highway without going around the traffic circle.

However, the cost of this idea would be too much for the minor inconvenience which is happening now.

I would rather see this money go towards placing an overpass at the Bostford/Wheeler intersection. I think this would help the traffic flow better around the swamp circle.
I agree that the Bostford/Wheeler intersection is problematic. But unfortunately, the train overpass is to close to the intersection to allow for Bostford overpass with onramps.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berge View Post
I agree that the Bostford/Wheeler intersection is problematic. But unfortunately, the train overpass is to close to the intersection to allow for Bostford overpass with onramps.
There either should be A) Overpass with no ramps B) A flyover of the whole thing, or C) Option A but with added ramps build at church street, with a connecting street to lewisville. Thats the options.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces