HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 5:46 AM

By summer the average people of NYC will be thinking "What the hell? It's huge!"

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 3:29 PM

Core jump. Apparent level 54 or actual floor 49 at 837' Windows are now being installed on the 2nd apparent level of the lobby.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 1:41 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of March 23rd, 2014...

Untitled by 600West218, on Flickr

Untitled by 600West218, on Flickr

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 2:44 AM

From Hackensack NJ, some 15 km. away.

Midtown Manhattan seen from Hackensack,New Jersey por Nexis4Jersey09, en Flickr

Original picture 4496 x 3000, extract from it

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 1:53 PM
New Yorker for life

Ready to take the city by storm...

ShellyS

And this view, when topped out...

darzieeeee

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 3:14 PM

March 2014: breaking the "skyline plateau" on the Hudson River

Sorry for low quality on this one

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 7:43 PM

Thank you for the pics NYguy ! I would like to see the last pic but at night !

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 10:55 PM

I think this and the bloomberg tower will make an interesting pair

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURKEY427 View Post
I think this and the bloomberg tower will make an interesting pair
Bloomberg Tower will barely be noticed from afar once all these nearby towers are built.

It will likely be surrounded by buildings the same height or taller (and, in cases like 432, closer to twice the height).

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 5:05 PM
Dandy Lion

This is the view from my bedroom during sunset. I am lucky enough to have a near perfect view of the tower rising. You can see it on the right side.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 4:10 AM

1 year ago 3/27/2013

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 1:24 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Just wait until next year...

Augustin Gl

March 28, 2014

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 9:48 PM

The perimeter forms were jumped up to future apparent level 52 or 806' The core is still on apparent level 54 or 837'

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 4:01 PM

Core jump. Apparent level 55 or actual floor 50 at 852' 6''

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 8:47 PM

With this jump, it surpassed the Rockefeller Center, five more jumps and it will surpass Citigroup Center.
I think this jump was the fastest so far this year, only six days since the last one, on march 25th. It seems it is speeding up again. Last year they made jumps as fast as 3 days within each other.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
With this jump, it surpassed the Rockefeller Center, five more jumps and it will surpass Citigroup Center.
I think this jump was the fastest so far this year, only six days since the last one, on march 25th. It seems it is speeding up again. Last year they made jumps as fast as 3 days within each other.
Yes the last core jump was on 3/25/14

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 9:49 PM

I may have said it before but I'm not a fan of this building at all. We lost 495 hotel rooms in the pre-war Drake Hotel in exchange for 99 luxury condo units, the majority of which will sit empty most of the time because they're 2nd and 3rd homes for millionaires and billionaires.

I wish this was developed on an open or underutilized lot instead with the Drake selling its air rights to modernize. Where's landmarks when you needed them?

Am I the only one that sees it this way? To be honest, every time I see 432 Park rise in the skyline it pisses me off because it reminds me of what it replaced.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 10:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
I may have said it before, but I'm not a fan of this building at all. We lost 495 hotel rooms in the pre-war Drake Hotel in exchange for 99 luxury condo units, the majority of which will sit empty most of the time because they're 2nd and 3rd homes for millionaires and billionaires.

I wish this was developed on an open or underutilized lot instead with the Drake selling its air rights to modernize. Where's landmarks when you needed them?

Am I the only one that sees it this way? To be honest, every time I see 432 Park in the skyline it pisses me off because it reminded me of what it replaced.
I know - the Drake was a gorgeous pre-war building. I was stunned to see how beautiful it was in pictures.

It should have replaced something like 650 Madison Ave.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
I may have said it before but I'm not a fan of this building at all. We lost 495 hotel rooms in the pre-war Drake Hotel in exchange for 99 luxury condo units, the majority of which will sit empty most of the time because they're 2nd and 3rd homes for millionaires and billionaires.

Am I the only one that sees it this way? To be honest, every time I see 432 Park rise in the skyline it pisses me off because it reminds me of what it replaced.
If I am not mistaken, the Drake was quite old and it lacked the brand cachet of hotels like the Pierre and the Plaza. I'm willing to bet it would have cost an absolute fortune to bring it up to par with its rivals and even then, it wouldn't have the single greatest asset those two have - a 60 foot walk to Central Park. 432 gets away with this because it trades proximity for spectacular views.

It's a shame the Drake was lost, especially when there are hundreds, if not thousands of architectural abortions that desperately need to be removed from the cityscape, but all in all, the direction this city has taken could be far, far worse.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
If I am not mistaken, the Drake was quite old and it lacked the brand cachet of hotels like the Pierre and the Plaza. I'm willing to bet it would have cost an absolute fortune to bring it up to par with its rivals and even then, it wouldn't have the single greatest asset those two have - a 60 foot walk to Central Park. 432 gets away with this because it trades proximity for spectacular views.

It's a shame the Drake was lost, especially when there are hundreds, if not thousands of architectural abortions that desperately need to be removed from the cityscape, but all in all, the direction this city has taken could be far, far worse.
The building sold for $400 million and we know the value of that was attributed to the airtight s since it underwent an expensive demolition. That would be more than enough for a handsome renovation of the building.

I agree it could have been worse, but that's a very low standard...

All for 99 ultra luxury condos. If it was benefiting more people, I could support. Housing is in desperate need in the city. This is 99 units with the majority of which will be unoccupied most of the time. I bet it will be easy to tell because the lights in the condo units will be off most of the time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive