HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 7:14 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Remember the fiasco with The Griswold senior apartments? Well, there's likely more situations like that to come.
Very interesting read. Duggan needs to get some city department on this to develop a plan. It just shows how fast the inner-city is rising in value; kind of amazing to see it's happening this quickly. The good thing is that there is plenty of land and vacant or underutilized properties not that far outside the core that could fairly quickly be developed for such housing.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 7:18 AM

The Detroit Transportation Corporation announced a few days ago that it's finally closing down the Grand Circus Park People Mover station for a complete reconstruction. I'm sure the timing of this was spurred by the on-going renovation of the connected David Whitney Building, but the ostensible justification is to make it completely ADA compliant. Along with making it so, they are also doing both an interior and exterior renovation.

I believe they are currently putting out a bid for a general contractor, so I'm not sure if the new station has even been design yet. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with, but it will be certainly be better than the current outdated design. This general area will become quite a small transit hub in the future. The station will be joined by the south-bound streetcar station directly to the south, and eventually the Woodward BRT south-bound station to the north.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 1:38 PM

I hope they keep around this guy.

Read all about it by Steve Pepple, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 9:48 PM

The city has issued (and re-issued) RFPs for the Brewster Rec Center and properties in Brush Park. Crain hints a possible upcoming RFPs for the rest of the Brewster site as the last tower is nearing demolition completion this week.

http://www.degc.org/degc-news/pdd-se...reation-center

http://www.degc.org/degc-news/pdd-se...-redevelopment

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...d-housing-site

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 7:25 AM

Wha? Didn't we just get through discussing that the city was looking to tear down Brewster-Wheeler? What changed that quickly? Or, was it that they were either looking at renovation or demolition, and I misunderstood?

In other news:

Metro Detroit home construction permits at highest level since 2006 in July

Quote:
DETROIT, MI – There were 469 single-family home building permits issued for Macomb, Oakland, St. Clair and Wayne counties in July, marking the highest total for the month since July 2006.

That’s according to the Home Builders Association of Southeastern Michigan and reported in the Southeastern Michigan Residential Building Activity Report, released Monday. In 2006, there were 718 new single-family home construction permits approved for four-county area.

The July 2014 rate, a rise of 6 percent over July 2013, also marked the fourth consecutive month that single-family permits exceeded a 400-permit threshold.

Oakland and Macomb counties accounted for a large chunk of the new construction permits, at 215 and 191 permits, respectively.

The HBA/ASA New Housing Permit Forecast projects 2,296 permits to be issued from August to January of this year, which would represent an annual increase of 7 percent.
The title is kind of misleading, but the main point being that housing (and thus population) continues it's steady comeback in Metro Detroit. Kind of weird that this particular organization includes St. Clair County instead of Livingston. I'd expect the numbers to be even stronger had they included Livingston instead of St. Clair.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Wha? Didn't we just get through discussing that the city was looking to tear down Brewster-Wheeler? What changed that quickly? Or, was it that they were either looking at renovation or demolition, and I misunderstood?
Well, the way the city put it: "If no one comes up with a plan, we're going to demolish this building."

So basically, if no proposals come through for this RFP, then it's kaputs.

But the thing is that the quote was made a good week or so before the RFP was put out. So it pretty muched looked like the city was more eager to demolish it before any possible proposal could have came up.

They'll learn to nuance words and actions a little more carefully in time, I guess.

That makes me wonder, then, what their actual plan with Park Avenue is.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 12:46 PM

The more I think about it after my post, the more I imagine this is just them going through the motions. I'd take the administration's first words at face value. You'd hope this blight removal push is a way to scare developers into redeveloping these properties, or at least properly securing them. But, that doesn't seem to be the intention. The intention actually seems to be demolition.

The guy from Preservation Detroit made a really good point about the push to demolish the Park Avenue, and that is that you're essentially rewarding the slumlord for his negligence in that he may have to eventually pay the demolition costs (and that's been a really big "if" in Detroit), but in both the short and long term, he knows gets a site free of a building he can now develop. That, and he has to pay less taxes on an empty site, so there is really no major downside to the property owner.

I think Brewster-Wheeler will be harder to save, so I guess I'm less disappointed by that, now, if that's the route they are going. The push for the Park Avenue, however, seems incredibly short-sighted, particularly considering the occupany/vacancy rate for apartment buildings in the greater downtown area. Redeveloped, this building would be filled in a few months at the very most.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 1:47 PM

I keep hearing suggestions that Detroit ought to be more forceful with blight-penalization rather than outright demolition. Though haven't the slumlords caught on that they can just argue with the city in court over those? It does seem like a lose-lose situation for the city and the slumlord has more power than he should. Plus Michigan prevents the city from seizing property purely for economy reasons. I really can't imagine how else to city could go about doing handling this.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 7:06 PM

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...leanup-planned

Orleans Landings, Ducharme Place, and the El Moore all got approval today by MSF. Construction on Orleans landings is expected to start next month.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 7:05 AM

I saw somewhere else that the site of Orleans Landing will have to be remediated before they can start any construction, but I'm happy to see all of this starting to pick up. Maybe, this will spur GM to revist their plans for their land next door to the RenCen (i.e. RiverEast). That was fairly close to happening before the recession hit, and the concept was pretty ambitious. It really does seem like a no-brainer, and GM is a developer with the means to make what they want happen.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 5:22 PM

Cool

While this doesn't exactly measure up in size and scope to some other recent developments nonetheless this could do as much as a major office or residential development in terms of showcasing the rebirth of the city. Its just been announced that WXYZ-TV is opening up a new glass fronted studio in the Chase Tower fronting Campus Martius.

Here's a link

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...wntown-detroit

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 11:21 PM

They snuck this project in the freep article:

Quote:
“You have probably tens of thousands of people that ultimately want to live in downtown and Midtown. I think we’re a long way from a saturation of the market,” said developer Christopher Jackson. He plans to break ground next spring on The Mondrian @ Midtown, a $26.6-million building at 3435 Woodward.
http://www.freep.com/article/2014082...opment-credits

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 11:16 AM

Well, this was quick:

FD Lofts Building Has Sold 23 Condos Since June, 7 Are Left

Curbed Detroit

Honestly, stuff like this makes you wonder if there will ever be a more organized effort to deliver more housing to the inner-city given the demand (apartments and condos, alike), or if we're just going to keep seeing these fits and starts by individual developers. And, then the other question is whether it would be better to center residential development in certain places to begin with, or if the organic model of what's going on is better.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 1:00 AM

They tore up the right side of Woodward almost to Warren. I guess for the light rail, although I thought they were just doing the overpasses and from CMart to Adams for now.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuphoricOctopus View Post
They tore up the right side of Woodward almost to Warren. I guess for the light rail, although I thought they were just doing the overpasses and from CMart to Adams for now.
http://m-1rail.com/construction/construction-map/

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 7:35 AM

A few other other updates and under the radar projects.

Video Link

Video Link

Quote:
Detroit’s Town Apartments Sold, Will Undergo 18-month Renovation
By R.J. King. dbusiness.com

Riding Detroit’s redevelopment wave, Triton Investment Co. has acquired the Town Apartments at First and Bagley in downtown Detroit, and will soon start a renovation that will include upgrades to most of the 255 residences, along with new finishes to the common areas, heating and cooling improvements, and the addition of new amenities.

The deal marks the ninth residential project in Detroit in recent years by Triton Investment, based in Greenwood Village, a suburb of Denver. Earlier this year, the company acquired five properties along and near East Jefferson Avenue — Kean Apartments, Hibbard Apartment Building, Van Dyke Manor, Parker Residences, and most recently, Trombley Lodge Apartments, a three-story structure that offers 40 units.

In turn, the company acquired and is nearing a complete renovation of Alden Towers along East Jefferson, which offers 381 luxury apartments, while Water’s Edge at Harbortown will offer 143 new luxury apartments (one, two, or three bedrooms) set within five-story structures at Harbortown. The latter apartments will be available for rent next summer. The company also acquired 23 homes in East English Village five years ago.

“Detroit is a great story, the city is coming back, and we see a lot of opportunity for people who want to live in historically-significant properties,” says April Sedillos, executive vice president of Triton Investment Co. “For Town Apartments, we’re still going over the layout, but we will upgrade the boilers right away. The timeline is 18 months (to complete the entire renovation).”

HopCat Is Nailing Construction In The Old Agave Building

-Curbed Detroit

LTU Design Center Grew A Skeleton Over The Summer

-Curbed Detroit

Multidisciplinary Biomedical Research Building (MBRB)

Drove past this about a week ago so I'm pretty sure these images are pretty recent. It's in the middle of the night as I'm posting this so the webcams don't seem to be live.

DMC Heart Hospital at Mack and Brush. Opened July 29th. The parking garage and office building are built to look very similar and are connected by a skywalk. Details on Freep.

DSC02560 by DMC Heals, on Flickr

DSC02541 by DMC Heals, on Flickr

DMC Heart Hospital by DMC Heals, on Flickr

DSC_0082 by DMC Heals, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 7:36 AM

Anyone have any idea when we may be hearing anything about the Hudson block from either SHoP or Hamilton Anderson? It'll be a year since the announcement not too long from now that we last heard about this.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Anyone have any idea when we may be hearing anything about the Hudson block from either SHoP or Hamilton Anderson? It'll be a year since the announcement not too long from now that we last heard about this.
I assumed it was all on Dan Gilbert when we would hear about it again. Not really sure what he could be waiting on. Speaking of which, there's plenty of projects I've been waiting for Gilbert to announce or present plans for.

Anyway, a few more updates.

Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Regional News Hub
Rehab in progress at MLK and Cass. The Davenport in the foreground as well as the tall building in the background will be joining the building to the right on the block as active and no longer blight. Pic taken yesterday evening.

Facade improvements on the Metropolitan Building expected to start today.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...ing-facade.php

Kefallinos has acquired the Michigan Building and wants to restore it and make it a hub for start up tech businesses.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...n-building.php

Habitat for Humanity built several homes on the east side near Mack and Alter.

http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...&id=5280986c9e

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 6:47 PM
Honored Member

I am glad to see the Town Apartments getting a refresh. It seems like it could be a really great location eventually.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:40 PM

I had heard that the city had extended the time table that Dan Gilbert has to get the development of the Hudson Block started through 2017.

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations