HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 7:44 AM
Sanity merchant

Anyone have info about this building near Fanshawe?

I know the whack of buildings was torn down, but is there actually going to be a new tower up there?

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=67935

625 First Street
London ON Canada

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 3:27 AM
London Aficionado

I do know that this building is currently going through site plan approval... so take from that what you will, keeping in mind this site already had site plan approval that lapsed a few years ago.

I think it gets built this time around.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Dec 31, 2012 at 5:10 AM. Reason: Removed quoted deleted message.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 10:22 PM
Sanity merchant

Location. Location. Location.

When it comes to highrise student housing, Adamas Group of London couldn’t be closer to its target customers.

In a real estate coup, the developer wants to plunk a 15-storey, 126-unit apartment building on the south side of Oxford St. opposite the front entrance to Fanshawe College.

The tower would dwarf and cast its shadow over the college that rises two and three storeys.

The plan comes to the planning and environment committee of city council Tuesday to deal with outstanding design issues before it gets final approval.

“For the college, it’s a good thing,” said Glen Matthews, off-campus housing mediator for both Fanshawe and Western.

The apartment “will take the stress off neighbourhoods, potentially,” Matthews said.

He predicted the venture will help the college with student recruitment, and the college is hoping for similar apartments to the west on the former London Psychiatric Hospital lands.

At the same meeting, a public meeting will be held into another highrise intended for students near the entrance to Western University.

The 19-storey building proposed by Ancaster developer Rise Real Estate would be fully furnished and adjacent to other highrises on Richmond St.

The project has been welcomed by Western, Matthews said.

Coun. Bud Polhill, chair of planning committee, said he thinks the building opposite Fanshawe would limit misbehaviour by students near the college because on-site security is promised.

“It will be easier to control when you have everyone on the same site,” he said. Certainly, he said, it’s a better situation than the dispersed single-family homes along Fleming Dr. where students rioted last St. Patrick’s Day.

“We shouldn’t have problems with bonfires in driveways.”

The project may be among the last to get under the wire of a city plan to limit to three the number of bedrooms in properties near the campuses of Fanshawe and Western University.

The proposal, known as Fanshawe Gate or Fanshawe Collegiate Manor, calls for a mix of three-, four- and five-bedroom units.

A city bylaw governing apartment properties in the “great near-campus neighbourhood” has a limit of three bedrooms. But that law has been appealed to the Ontario Municipal Board by four parties, including the proponent of Fanshawe Gate.

Mike Tomazincic, a city planner, said it could be the better part of two years before the fate of the bylaw is known and in the meantime the city campus neighbourhood bylaw cannot be enforced.

Polhill said the new development might put pressure on the surrounding single-family neighbourhood for more apartment buildings.

But he noted to date most of the opposition came from landlords who rent homes to students, suggesting they were more about competition than land use issues.

In 2008, city council approved plans for a similar building proposed for the site by York Management Inc. A resident opposed the zoning change and the matter was pursued to the OMB that rejected the appeal. The developer opted not to proceed and the new owner is back with a similar plan.

In a bid to blend in with the neighbourhood, the developer is using exterior finishes that complement the design of the college. And the number of west-facing windows will be minimized to reduce the impact on residents of single-family homes located there.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 2:31 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Fanshawe college's answer to Saugeen-maitland. maybe even a saugeen stripper.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Fanshawe college's answer to Saugeen-maitland. maybe even a saugeen stripper.
Here, let me fix that... it's 'Saugeen-Mateland'. I went to Western in the mid-80s and once saw a big bed-sheet being hung from the roof of the building with the words 'Saugeen Mateland' spray-painted on it, giving much credence to all the legends about the residence being 'party central' at Western, besides being a venue for, uh, *other* kinds of activities.

I doubt that the proposed Fanshawe College residence will be much different, although we should see a decrease in bonfires next spring.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 5:36 AM
User Registered

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 2:42 PM

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 1:50 PM

I hope to see this happen, that corner has needed a drastic overhaul for years. Would be a big step up for the area and streetscape.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 6:52 PM

I agree completely BUT I also hope to see some more creative uses of the materials available today. Concrete is boring and unimaginative. One would think that within the schooling that architects must endure, creativity isn’t taught or encouraged. At least I haven’t witnessed any in London anyway.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
I agree completely BUT I also hope to see some more creative uses of the materials available today. Concrete is boring and unimaginative. One would think that within the schooling that architects must endure, creativity isn’t taught or encouraged. At least I haven’t witnessed any in London anyway.
I agree however they can be creative while using concrete as well, I just do not want to see a boring "block" of concrete.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 1:54 PM

Looks like this is being built, drove by last weekend and there is quite the hole being dug out. Not sure if the plans/design has changed but either way I am looking forward to something better than empty lots and or worn down houses on that corner for years

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 12:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo26 View Post
Here, let me fix that... it's 'Saugeen-Mateland'. I went to Western in the mid-80s and once saw a big bed-sheet being hung from the roof of the building with the words 'Saugeen Mateland' spray-painted on it, giving much credence to all the legends about the residence being 'party central' at Western, besides being a venue for, uh, *other* kinds of activities.

I doubt that the proposed Fanshawe College residence will be much different, although we should see a decrease in bonfires next spring.
haha, instead of Fanshawe College, perhaps Funshack...

just like that song by the B-52's

Or the Fanshawe Redemption

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 1:11 PM

Concrete trucks and pumps were on site Wednesday, wish we had an updated plan for the building but either way positive news.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 12:32 PM

Rebar is above street level on this

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 2:44 PM
Sanity merchant

From today

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 3:45 PM

Nice update, progress seems to be fairly slow.

Glad to see this finally going up, anything will be better than what was there previously.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 10:44 PM
Sanity merchant

They are now on the third floor

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K85 View Post
They are now on the third floor
Oh wow, I have not been by in about a month glad to see it starting to progress quickly now.

So we still do not have a render, height or anything?? Initially it was said to be 15 stories but there was nothing official I saw.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 12:39 AM

Here is the link to the site with info on the building going up:

http://www.adamasgroup.ca/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
Oh wow, I have not been by in about a month glad to see it starting to progress quickly now.

So we still do not have a render, height or anything?? Initially it was said to be 15 stories but there was nothing official I saw.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 7:19 AM

Just drove by this building today. I think it is at about 10-12 stories, Although I could be wrong, I just took a couple quick glances at it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates