HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 11, 2010, 7:10 PM
SA 24th largest city

OH, grotesque billboard that was in middle of fargo bank lot is now gone.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 10:51 PM

Picture I took from a helicopter. I offered the Broadway this image for free, in exchange for letting me shoot from a balcony of the lights at Incarnate Word and I was DENIED. I will use the helicopter then.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 11:59 PM
Meh

Nice. It's a shame they didn't let you up there. I'd love to see the view, too. I'm curious to see what the view of downtown looks like. I mostly like this building, I just wish it was a little more connected to the street.

There's a view of the Incarnate Word at this website. Scroll down about half way. You might contact that guy and see how he was able to get up there. You might get lucky.
http://hdrgolf.wordpress.com/categor...graphy/page/2/

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I mostly like this building, I just wish it was a little more connected to the street.
Same here. Seems to be about 40 feet or so too far from the street and missing a way for people to walk in from Broadway. I mean, do I really have to walk all the way around the building just to get to Jim's?
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 8:34 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

The lovely wall it sits on top of isn't helping either.... all in all it seems very Houstonish, if that even makes sense.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 12:00 AM

Awesome picture, everything looks so lush. While it is lamentable that the building doesn't meet the street better, its certainly consistent with the auto-oriented nature of Broadway in that area. As one of SA's first streetcar suburbs, the '09 has somewhat ironically become an unfriendly place for pedestrians, like many such areas in cities all around the U.S. that had their rights of way given over to vehicular commuters.

Wonder what the chances are of us hearing something about the Devine condos anytime soon?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Nice. It's a shame they didn't let you up there. I'd love to see the view, too. I'm curious to see what the view of downtown looks like. I mostly like this building, I just wish it was a little more connected to the street.

There's a view of the Incarnate Word at this website. Scroll down about half way. You might contact that guy and see how he was able to get up there. You might get lucky.
http://hdrgolf.wordpress.com/categor...graphy/page/2/
Thanks KevinfromTexas, I think that photographer is the official photographer for there website. When I offered construction process photos, and aerials they kept telling me No, NO, NO, we have someone for that. I kept telling them, but I'm giving you these images, in exchange for permission to go into a model condo space and take a few pictures. Seemed fair to me, but apparently they are protecting the view. Ridiculouse! This has left a bad taste in my mouth for this building, I was a huge fan of it, but not anymore. The rendering looks better then the finish work!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 11:57 PM

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 3:56 AM
Meh

That's odd. The best way to sell those units is to let people see the view. How else will they? lol

I had someone send me a message just the other day here on the forum who was considering a condo in a building in Austin and wanted to know what the views would be like for the next couple of years. She was worried that a nearby project might block the views.

Several of the buildings in Austin were glad to let me up for photos. I think the situation in Austin was different, though, since highrise residential here was a fairly new thing, minus a few older (smaller) buildings.

I would say try for some of the other residential buildings around town, and maybe even some office buildings. I was even let into one condo tower in Corpus Christi for photos after I emailed them ahead of time for permission before I was in town. So you can do it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 6:18 PM

Thanks Kevinfromtexas, just lately I have had some bad luck. Pre 9-11 I used to be able to get into buildings all the time. Now it is hard.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 7:27 AM
SA 24th largest city

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 4:21 AM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Awesome picture, everything looks so lush. While it is lamentable that the building doesn't meet the street better, its certainly consistent with the auto-oriented nature of Broadway in that area. As one of SA's first streetcar suburbs, the '09 has somewhat ironically become an unfriendly place for pedestrians, like many such areas in cities all around the U.S. that had their rights of way given over to vehicular commuters.

Wonder what the chances are of us hearing something about the Devine condos anytime soon?
I disagree. AH and Broadway are as walkable as a major street can get in this city. Try walking along Huebner, De Zevala, Wurzbach, Callaghan, Bitters, Thousand Oaks, NW Military, etc...go ahead and then compare.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxus View Post
I disagree. AH and Broadway are as walkable as a major street can get in this city. Try walking along Huebner, De Zevala, Wurzbach, Callaghan, Bitters, Thousand Oaks, NW Military, etc...go ahead and then compare.
I think that what OMS was trying to comment on was the fact that the setback for the building was greater than say setbacks for buildings around downtown, and in this case, even lower Broadway down to around the Pearl.

Clearly the area is auto-oriented. Even if it is possible to walk, it's far from a walker's paradise, even if it is the "better (than)" option. Having the building meet the street is not impossible, the AT&T building across the street doesn't, but 4040 Broadway does (2 blocks south) and it just makes it a much more inviting area to be in/around, even if the sidewalks are kind of funky around that building.

The Children's Museum will "meet the street" and even the small building next to the "Compound" is remodeling to create a better pedestrian experience. The area is transforming, its just a shame that this building didn't help the cause.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio