HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 1:11 AM

I'm sure others are just re-booking right now a lot of cargo without making noise via SJ/Halifax. That will take a few cycles to be noticable, but the vessel schedule seems stable at weekly service so we'll monitor the rail traffic for any uptick.

Also somewhat interesting is an ongoing strike at the Auto port in Halifax. Ro-ro could easily move via SJ, so opportunity there for DP World if they can pounce. Some details here: https://www.unifor.org/news/all-news...toport-workers

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMaine View Post
I'm sure others are just re-booking right now a lot of cargo without making noise via SJ/Halifax. That will take a few cycles to be noticable, but the vessel schedule seems stable at weekly service so we'll monitor the rail traffic for any uptick.

Also somewhat interesting is an ongoing strike at the Auto port in Halifax. Ro-ro could easily move via SJ, so opportunity there for DP World if they can pounce. Some details here: https://www.unifor.org/news/all-news...toport-workers
I think a problem is that Autoport does a lot more than just unload cars. I believe there are facilities there that do QC checks and preform any needed repairs to shipping damage or manufacturing errors/omissions before the vehicles are shipped on to dealers.
Also, from the sounds of things it is continuing to run with replacement workers.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
I think a problem is that Autoport does a lot more than just unload cars. I believe there are facilities there that do QC checks and preform any needed repairs to shipping damage or manufacturing errors/omissions before the vehicles are shipped on to dealers.
Also, from the sounds of things it is continuing to run with replacement workers.
If replacement workers could be found that quickly then I am sure the staff could be found in SJ as well. Good opportunity for Port SJ here.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
If replacement workers could be found that quickly then I am sure the staff could be found in SJ as well. Good opportunity for Port SJ here.
I'm not 100% clear but I think Autoport (CN owned) itself has facilities there where vehicles are received, inspected and repaired/defects corrected as needed before being shipped onwards. I know when I was involved in the car business years ago (European brand) our district service manager spent a lot of time at Autoport. I know for a fact they have (or at least had) a fairly big bodyshop and some garage facilities. I doubt it is as simple as offloading cars in SJ and sending them on.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 1:37 PM

Quote:
I'm not 100% clear but I think Autoport (CN owned) itself has facilities there where vehicles are received, inspected and repaired/defects corrected as needed before being shipped onwards. I know when I was involved in the car business years ago (European brand) our district service manager spent a lot of time at Autoport. I know for a fact they have (or at least had) a fairly big bodyshop and some garage facilities. I doubt it is as simple as offloading cars in SJ and sending them on.
Saint John lost its Ro Ro ramps when the slips were filled in. There is a small window at high water for just the ships ramps to be used on dock. Unless a Ro Ro ramp is installed somewhere, I can’t see Saint John being inviting for roll on roll off cargo.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ harbour View Post
Saint John lost its Ro Ro ramps when the slips were filled in. There is a small window at high water for just the ships ramps to be used on dock. Unless a Ro Ro ramp is installed somewhere, I can’t see Saint John being inviting for roll on roll off cargo.
Interesting. Don't some car shipments currently come in to PSJ? Is this via a different method?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Don't some car shipments currently come in to PSJ? Is this via a different method?
Just stolen ones in containers.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 5:17 PM

Quote:
They do come in via rail to a NB Southern yard. Not sure if they come from Toronto or states.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 5:22 PM

Anybody remember when all those cars sat on Long Wharf for a year or two? I think they were enroute to Iran when the Shah fell. Chevy Novas I think.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Anybody remember when all those cars sat on Long Wharf for a year or two? I think they were enroute to Iran when the Shah fell. Chevy Novas I think.
Or was it the Malibus that were supposed to go to Iraq? https://www.cbc.ca/archives/iraq-did...-did-1.5462599

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Or was it the Malibus that were supposed to go to Iraq? https://www.cbc.ca/archives/iraq-did...-did-1.5462599
You might be right but I seem to remember vehicles parked for a long time on Long Wharf when I was in high school (mid 70's).

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 10:10 PM

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/behind-t...low_template.B

There is a tour of some port facilities on April 20th. I would take it but I am not going to be in the area on that date. It's $17.31/ea., $6.66/kids and seniors.

From the web site:

This is a 90-minute tour of the Port terminals that start from the Marco Polo Cruise Terminal, down to Barrack Point Potash Terminal (Nutrien/Canpotex), DP World multipurpose cargo terminal and back to the Marco Polo Cruise Terminal.

During this time, participants will get the opportunity to learn about the Port and port operations.

All proceeds from this tour will directly support the noble cause of the Saint John Seafarers' Mission.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 2:11 AM

I see AllNewBrunswick has a new article published about a new cold storage warehouse being slated for the port. Don’t have access to see what the article says.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post
That is what I have referred to as Lot X, from a Port SJ video promoting various parts of the port available for lease. The current status information had been gleaned from the PSJ website map indicating property that is leased or otherwise managed by DP World Canada. In the below image, both locations indicated by "1" are under management by DP World. That lower "1" is likely the decrepit pier you were referring to, and my understanding is that was/is Lot X. It is valuable property in a port looking to expand 5X+.

Below image property of Port Saint John:
https://www.sjport.com/port-map
Americold/Nova Cold Logistics are indeed building a cold storage facility on Lot X, per AllNB. The gravel lot north of the Crosby facility on Gateway St should see construction start in early July. 191,000sf and 60ft high. They already operate out of Dartmouth. Not sure if that's an office or a warehouse or both.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 12:43 PM

191,000sf and 60ft high is huge, but even more exciting would be the the possible remediation of that derelict wharf, that would really brighten up the entrance of the harbour for visitors and those looking across from the central peninsula.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 12:54 PM

A big question for the port longer term is the future of Long Wharf. It certainly seems to be under utilized in recent years. Could they maybe just keep a relatively narrow strip along the face for cruise ship overflow and layby berthing while making the rest over to development? It would be a logical extension of the Fundy Quay/Loyalist Plaza/Market Square area.....especially if something is done around the old substation across the slip.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 1:02 PM

Quote:
A big question for the port longer term is the future of Long Wharf. It certainly seems to be under utilized in recent years. Could they maybe just keep a relatively narrow strip along the face for cruise ship overflow and layby berthing while making the rest over to development? It would be a logical extension of the Fundy Quay/Loyalist Plaza/Market Square area.....especially if something is done around the old substation across the slip.
The city is already planning a mixed-use neighborhood to be built on Long Wharf as part of the Central Peninsula Secondary Plan, (page 36 in the plan).

A CBC article about it with a draft site plan: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...town-1.4662388

Link to the plan itself: https://saintjohn.ca/sites/default/f...ary%20Plan.pdf

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
191,000sf and 60ft high is huge, but even more exciting would be the the possible remediation of that derelict wharf, that would really brighten up the entrance of the harbour for visitors and those looking across from the central peninsula.
Not sure if that's part of the plan. No mention of it. My layman's opinion is, DP World and the feds aren't going to make any moves around here until AIM is gone. No need to rebuild that pier if the AIM site opens. Infill probably unlikely since tugs use the slip, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
The city is already planning a mixed-use neighborhood to be built on Long Wharf as part of the Central Peninsula Secondary Plan, (page 36 in the plan).

A CBC article about it with a draft site plan: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...town-1.4662388

Link to the plan itself: https://saintjohn.ca/sites/default/f...ary%20Plan.pdf
That was kind of a moonshot/concept, not really a plan. Keeping the lobster fishing area will likely be a sticking point. Whatever eventually happens here should connect Fort LaTour Dr. to Long Wharf by road, reconfiguring Harbour Passage as necessary. I don't see anything here for decades.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 3:11 PM

An official project listing on the government website. (Just as a further confirmation). Says start date is July 1st 2024.
https://iaac-aeic.gc.ca/050/evaluations/proj/88503

Last edited by DyAm00394; Apr 24, 2024 at 3:39 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 3:44 PM

It will basically fill the lot and could theoretically have direct rail access. This is large. https://imgur.com/a/t8B3ZdF

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces