HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
How bad does Temple want this stadium? Temple's concessions to the community have gone overboard: Underground streets, fixing up a community center, paying for liquor enforcement police, etc. - all for 6 games a year?

And the community doesn't even want to discuss it!

From a business standpoint, I don't see how this makes sense to Temple. On the other hand, the neighborhood's attitude makes want this stadium shoved down their throats simply out of spite....and without all those ridiculous concessions.
If they want a legit program, they need a stadium. Every coach that has come and gone as had some issue with wanting a stadium. As demonstrated, coaches won't stay if they don't have a stadium. They will leave at the first call from a Big 10, Big 12, ACC, or whoever.

I really like this design. Digging below grade is a great way to minimize the enormity of it.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 11:21 PM

It would really really suck to live right next to a football stadium. I can only imagine the loud announcers, chants, fireworks, traffic jams on the tiny one-way streets, and drunken people everywhere. At least in South Philly, there are parking lots to separate and provide buffer with the community and there are large roadways and interstates to get the cars out.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 12:29 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
If they want a legit program, they need a stadium. Every coach that has come and gone as had some issue with wanting a stadium. As demonstrated, coaches won't stay if they don't have a stadium. They will leave at the first call from a Big 10, Big 12, ACC, or whoever.

I really like this design. Digging below grade is a great way to minimize the enormity of it.
The AAC (the conference Temple's in) has a problem as a whole with retaining coaches. In the last two years alone, Temple, USF, UCF, Memphis, Houston, and I want to say even SMU* have had to hire new coaches because schools like Baylor and Texas and Virginia Tech and Nebraska keep poaching our conference's coaching talent. So playing at the Linc doesn't really matter from a coaching-retention standpoint; it's the fact that the AAC overperforms its station, as it were, that does.

The main problems that Temple has viz. the Linc are twofold: hostile business relations with the stadium's co-tenant, the Eagles, and the fact that the Linc is just too damn big for Temple's needs, which in turn makes it a less impressive game-day environment than peer schools' offerings, like TDECU Field (Houston) or Spectrum Stadium (UCF) or even the granddaddy of AAC stadiums, Cincinnati's Nippert Field. These same issues are also driving other stadium redevelopments around the country, like Georgia State's repurposing of Turner Field into a football stadium (they used to be co-tenants in the Georgia Dome with the Falcons), SDSU's plans for Qualcomm Stadium (which the Chargers conveniently vacated last year), and USF's rumored plan to leave the Buccaneers' Raymond James Stadium in favor of an on-campus site as well.

*That's half of the conference. Three other schools (Cincinnati, UConn, ECU) fired their coaches for underperformance in the same timeframe, leaving just three AAC schools (Navy, Tulsa, Tulane) with the same coach today that they had in 2015.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Last edited by hammersklavier; Mar 31, 2018 at 12:45 AM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
It would really really suck to live right next to a football stadium. I can only imagine the loud announcers, chants, fireworks, traffic jams on the tiny one-way streets, and drunken people everywhere. At least in South Philly, there are parking lots to separate and provide buffer with the community and there are large roadways and interstates to get the cars out.
If the stadium is built, the existing residents in the surrounding houses will leave, and it will become student housing. Primo tailgate houses. For better or worse.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
If the stadium is built, the existing residents in the surrounding houses will leave, and it will become student housing. Primo tailgate houses. For better or worse.
I own some rentals within 2 to 3 blocks of here and would probably benefit my rental rates.

That said the urban geek wonders if something better could be developed in that space.

I also think a short term might be better for the area on Broad

Have they ever considered the fields on Cecil B Moore between 10th and 12th?

Close to the subway and right at the regional rail station

I feel like that location on Broad needs more activity on a daily basis

lastly an interim potential is 6 games at Franklin field with any big games at the link

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
I own some rentals within 2 to 3 blocks of here and would probably benefit my rental rates.

That said the urban geek wonders if something better could be developed in that space.

I also think a short term might be better for the area on Broad

Have they ever considered the fields on Cecil B Moore between 10th and 12th?

Close to the subway and right at the regional rail station

I feel like that location on Broad needs more activity on a daily basis

lastly an interim potential is 6 games at Franklin field with any big games at the link
Franklin Field is bigger than the Linc.

Part of the issue is that Temple wants a more intimate stadium that it can fill to improve the environment during game day.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Franklin Field is bigger than the Linc.

Part of the issue is that Temple wants a more intimate stadium that it can fill to improve the environment during game day.
LFF has about 20,000 more seats than Franklin Field.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
For sure.

I wish they had more mixed use space in this proposal. Temple is running out of space -- especially in such a valuable location. I wish the entire stadium was wrapped with dorms, classrooms, etc. It'd be much better use of the space.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
For sure.

I wish they had more mixed use space in this proposal. Temple is running out of space -- especially in such a valuable location. I wish the entire stadium was wrapped with dorms, classrooms, etc. It'd be much better use of the space.
There are classrooms and retail along Broad Street and research/office space under the boxes and broadcast space along 16th street.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
There are classrooms and retail along Broad Street and research/office space under the boxes and broadcast space along 16th street.
There's some multi-use space, but the bulk of it is a stadium. There is plenty of space to have substantial amount of classroom and dorm space on this property with a stadium.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
There's some multi-use space, but the bulk of it is a stadium. There is plenty of space to have substantial amount of classroom and dorm space on this property with a stadium.
how about reconfiguring the supermarket space on the east side of Broad further south on Broad for the stadium

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 3:51 PM

add a velodrome to the stadium

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 7:55 PM

Kensington Heroin Gulf project: https://philly.curbed.com/2018/4/2/1...gton-riverward

These prices seem high for the area and unit size (particularly to be billed as affordable housing). $400K for a 1,900 square foot home in Kensington. Times have changed...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 8:32 PM

76ers Will Trust the Process at 30th & Market

"According to a source at the 76ers, the team is actively working on a plan to build a new arena on the southwest corner of 30th & Market."

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...ss-30th-market

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post

"According to a source at the 76ers, the team is actively working on a plan to build a new arena on the southwest corner of 30th & Market."

interesting location, would be transit friendly

Amazon Arena anyone

That said, If there is any way to put this on top of the gallery I say put it there and not create anymore blank walls in the cities fabric

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
interesting location, would be transit friendly

Amazon Arena anyone

That said, If there is any way to put this on top of the gallery I say put it there and not create anymore blank walls in the cities fabric
I think this is an April Fools joke, albeit a very good one. I wouldn't mind it here because the IRS (former post office building) already creates a blank wall on that part of 30th Street.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 9:42 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post

A title of "...[t]rust the process..." is a dead giveaway that it's a hoax. And, the timing of the announcement too. But, I did get a good laugh, so thanks for that.

But, seriously, could drexel build a new basketball arena there?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
A title of "...[t]rust the process..." is a dead giveaway that it's a hoax. And, the timing of the announcement too. But, I did get a good laugh, so thanks for that.

But, seriously, could drexel build a new basketball arena there?
In theory they could but the current arena was expanded in 2010 and renovated further over the last few years wrapping up in 2016.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
I think this is an April Fools joke, albeit a very good one. I wouldn't mind it here because the IRS (former post office building) already creates a blank wall on that part of 30th Street.
Yes, fairly sure it is an April Fool's joke. A good one. A lot of work for someone at Ambit Architecture to go to just for that. It actually looks great, though! In reality, isn't that lot earmarked for a Schulkill Yards of 30th Street Station District tower?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
In theory they could but the current arena was expanded in 2010 and renovated further over the last few years wrapping up in 2016.
The DAC hasn't been expanded, it's been a bunch of lipstick on a pig renovations. The Armory was supposed to be converted to a new arena/convocation center, but is now being given away (operationally, the National Guard/PA still owns it) by Drexel's president, and former Chair of the Board of Directors of US Squash, so it can be transformed into the US Squash National Center.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development