HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Belmont Bob is correct. More specifically a pre-1964 quarter weighs 6.25 grams and there are about 453.59 grams in a pound. So $2000 in 1954-and-older quarters (2 bags) weighs a fraction over 110.23 pounds + plus the weight of the bags. You can handle them but you won't be going anywhere fast with them on foot. A current quarter, made of far cheaper metals, weighs just 5.67 grams.
Thanks, Mike and welcome to the forum. Hope to see you around the campus. As to these quarters, it's a minor point I know but with the way these two guys are handling them, I have a hard time believing these bags weigh 50 lbs apiece.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 2:51 PM

Circa 1933, Albert Sheetz Mission Candies.

Exact address uncertain, although the [S]eventh Street sign is visible. '36 directory has many listings including - 627 S. Olive, 4529 S. Broadway, 8001 Sunset, 6324 and 6656 Hollywood Blvd.

Tempting AND Delicious.

Is that "Simon's" neon across the street? Now, where to park.

All from USC Digital

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Another popular coffee in the Los Angeles area and beyond was...

V.C. Buckley circa 1937

nice neon sign

The Joannes Brothers Company building at 800 Traction. (built 1916)

http://www.you-are-here.com/downtown/ben_hur.html

gsv

Ben-Hur coffee stand on Wilshire.

LAPL

and on W. Washington.

LAPL

below: very similar to this stand posted earlier by FredH

If this post doesn't make you smell coffee I don't know what would.
__

Say what you want, but I'm sticking with Newmark's blend. It's mountain grown and used exclusively by the Ambassador Hotel!

Wilshire and Fairfax, Circa '29 revisited. Looking east x northeast.

USC Digital

All from USC Digital

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 3:37 PM

All this talk of coffee inevitably leads me to...

Billboard advertising doughnuts, Herman Schultheis, ca.1943

A Foster and Kleiser billboard for doughnuts sold at Van de Kamp's Bakeries.

LAPL

Contract approval, 1951

Contract approval, 11 October 1951. Betsy Von Furstenberg, 20. An apparently hungry little thing. Went on to a nice, though modest, career in film and television with more success (interest?) in stage work. Complete name, Elizabeth Caroline Maria Agatha Felicitas Therese von Furstenberg-Hedringen and with a name like that you'd expect gloves but...maybe the glazed doughnut sent the gloves to the handbag. And, by the way, that's a Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer contract she's holding.

USCdigital archive/Los Angeles Examiner Negatives Collection, 1950-1961

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
Thanks, Mike and welcome to the forum. Hope to see you around the campus. As to these quarters, it's a minor point I know but with the way these two guys are handling them, I have a hard time believing these bags weigh 50 lbs apiece.
no, they’re okay, I picked up hundreds of them including dimes, quarters and halves duing the three years I worked for the bank and you just need to support them under your arms and hold the top.
One time an armored car driver tossed a bag of dimes at the flatbed cart and it caught the corner of the cart and tore open and 10,000 dimes went flying all over the loading dock which was a secured area. So we had to sweep them up and made him and his partner wait while we ran them through a counter to be sure we had every last one…meanwhile other trucks that had shown up had to sit and wait before they could enter the dock.

That job was not hard, but did require a lot of trust, because the pay was really low and during my time there at least a dozen employees were fired for “dipping in” for a twenty here, or a ten there. The bank never prosecuted them because the amount was small, maybe a few hundred over a period of time and they did not want to broadcast to the public how many employees where embezzling cash. But those caught could never again be bonded.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 6:19 PM
Closed account

The Black List or ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont bob View Post

That job was not hard, but did require a lot of trust, because the pay was really low and during my time there at least a dozen employees were fired for “dipping in” for a twenty here, or a ten there. The bank never prosecuted them because the amount was small, maybe a few hundred over a period of time and they did not want to broadcast to the public how many employees where embezzling cash. But those caught could never again be bonded.
I talked to a local banker about bank employees who steal from a bank. They're rarely are prosecuted. Of course they're fired and their name goes on a nationwide Black List. No bank would ever hire them again as a teller. But come to think of it...maybe some big Wall Street financial would hire them for a top executive position. As my attorney once told me, "The easiest way to rob a bank is from the inside."

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Most if not all of the school buildings in this shot appear to still be there, though heavily remodeled.
USCDL

In a shot over the roof of the corner Vine Street school addition--apparently taken from the roof of the DPW building--we can see
what must be the backlot of Metro Pictures.
Thank you for your expansive decoding of Vine & Romaine. It was extremely enjoyable to read.

Remodeled Vine Street School:

gsv

Vine Street was yet another of Marilyn Monroe's schools. She was a student here when lodging at the orphanage over the road and south a bit.

And, of course the old Metro lot is still there, now Red Studios, with its hard-to-like gate:

gsv

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Thank you for your expansive decoding of Vine & Romaine. It was extremely enjoyable to read.

And, of course the old Metro lot is still there, now Red Studios, with its hard-to-like gate:

gsv
not only hard-to-like but someone has to walk out on that to raise and lower the flag.. and i wonder how close that steel pole is to the electric line. when the wind blows...not someplace i'm going to go...smh

Last edited by belmont bob; Mar 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM. Reason: added thought

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Wilshire and Fairfax, Circa '29 revisited. Looking east x northeast.

All from USC Digital
Keeping an eye peeled for the Moscow Inn and noticed its one-time-neighbor "La Boheme" on Sunset (1929-33). (Later known as the Trocadero and not to be confused with the Boheme on Santa Monica.) This fits with the 1929 "Amusement" map. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=8036 According to some sources, La Boheme offered more than just dining and dancing. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=9558 Just ask the cabbie reading the paper. (He probably knows all about the "Cuckoo Clock" on Beverly Blvd and the Moscow Inn!)

"8610" Sunset Blvd??
USC Digital

Circa 1935 - The Trocadero
Lapl

1934 - Deputy Sheriffs with "amusement" devices seized from the likes of the Old Colony Club, the Clover Club and the Cafe La Boheme.
Lapl

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 8:24 PM

Quote:
This odd sculpture is similar to the Richfield 'monument'. (found on the same cd I made years ago)

possibly ebay

What's odd is that the 'monument/sculpture' in the mystery photo has nothing to do with the nearby Fox Belmont.
It is advertising 'The Gaucho' at Grauman's Chinese way up on Hollywood Boulevard! So why is it located on S. Vermont?
And the 'statue' looks nothing like a gaucho...if anything, it resembles Napoleon.___
Speaking of "Unique" advertising and cafes, anyone familiar with Ye Bull Pen Inn at 533 South Grand? I hear it's "Famous For Steaks." (I wouldn't ask if the placard included the words "great" or "fine." )

Undated

All from Lapl

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 8:35 PM

The Los Angeles Rubber Stamp Co. at 131 S. Spring Street

date 1913

ebay

..before they moved to their new home at 1502 S. Los Angeles St. (see below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

1502 S. Los Angeles Street

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 8:51 PM

and just around the corner from the Los Angeles Rubber Stamp Co. at 131 S. Spring St. was the O.C. Zahn Painting Co. at 231 W. First St.

ebay

As far as I can figure, this is a history report (by Zara Zahn, the owner's daughter perhaps?)
__

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 8:56 PM

Quote:
This is a long shot, but does anyone recognize this small streamline building?
It's unidentified in the lapl archive.

Herman Schultheis at http://www.lapl.org/

Besides the photographer's name, the biggest clue is clearly the address 4032 (minus the name of the street). _________
Whether or not it was located on Wilshire, had I been an out-of-town patient visiting one of the Doctors in the building (for gland op. checkup), I might have been inclined to stay at the "World's Finest Motor Court": The Biltmore Motor Inn. Just hope the Doc allows eating and imbibing at the Cafe.

11827 Ventura Blvd. - Undated, but probably 1937-38 (Herman Schultheis) (Sorry if this is a repost. I searched.)
LAPL

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3003/2...dd959b78_z.jpg

Last edited by BifRayRock; Mar 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 9:58 PM

Hahaha. I now know where that beautiful little building is. We've looked so long. A couple of months ago I even went so far as to have a friend of mine who is an associate curator at the Architecture and Design Museum down on Wilshire to look at our little dog-eared image and he passed it around to his cohorts but still nothing but now I know. Google Map the Biltmore Motor Inn on Ventura Boulevard and then walk the cursor around the corner to Carpenter Avenue and look at the addresses. We need an aerial to be sure. I'm looking now.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 9:59 PM

Cool

Quote:
The La Merced Tract is part of the Montebello Oil Field & may be the location in the old pic:

http://losangelesrevisited.blogspot....llo-hills.html

Much of it has been redeveloped, but it's still pumping:

google maps

And thank you Graybeard, fascinating info at the link you posted.

I own three blocks downtown, I've got oil in Bakersfield, pumping, pumping, pumping! What's it for but to buy us anything we want!
I couldn't resist!!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Photograph caption dated January 18, 1940 reads, "Here is the home at 4709 Norwich, North Hollywood, in the exclusive Sherman Oaks district, where Brandstatter invited his last guest - Death. His body was found in his car by his wife and Larry Adlon, an employee." Lapl
4709 Norwich - 1940. (Evidence of just an oil leak in the driveway or more?)
Lapl

Eddie Brandstatter, 1940

Quote:
Eddie Brandstatter was one of Hollywood's greatest early restaurateurs. A native of France, he worked in Paris, London and New York restaurants before moving to Los Angeles in the 1910s. In 1920 he was joint owner and manager of the Sunset Inn in Santa Monica. In 1923 he built the famous Cafe Montmartre, designed by Meyer and Holler, at a cost of $150,000. This establishment was described as "the center of Hollywood life", where stars usually frequented, and which was the place to see and be seen. In 1929 Brandstatter opened the Embassy Club, a private and exclusive venue for his Hollywood friends, but due to financial troubles, opened the club to the general public in 1932. That same year Brandstatter declared bankruptcy and sold Montmartre. At one point, he was charged with grand theft in a dispute with Hollywood real estate developer C.E. Toberman for having stolen furnishings, drapes, china, and a large "nude statue" of a woman, as well as other valuables and was convicted, though he was given two years probation after returning the property. In 1933 he bounced back and opened Sardi's, only to be again convicted for illegally selling "stimulants" at the establishment. Sadly, Sardi's Restaurant was destroyed by fire on November 2, 1936. The last venue Brandstatter opened and operated was the Bohemian Grill on Vine. On January 20, 1940 Brandstatter's wife, Helen, found the once-famous restaurateur dead in their home garage in Sherman Oaks. He had committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning in his car. He was 54.
Quote:
Prohibition was in force, but Brandstatter didn't expect his customers to endure a night of dining and dancing stone-cold sober. Everybody brought a hip flask, and if you drank it dry, there was a bootlegger on the premises to top it off for you, though people grumbled about his prices.

On the other hand, you were at the Montmartre, the center of the universe. Outside, people were lined up down the block hoping for a chance to dine with the stars. So shut up and pay.

In 1929, Brandstatter made a disastrous mistake by opening a private venue, the Embassy Club, for his Hollywood friends. Now that they had paid their dues, the stars started partying at the Embassy Club instead of the Montmartre, and since the stars weren't dining there anymore, ordinary people stopped coming too.http://articles.latimes.com/2011/apr...atter-20110414

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

I believe this was part of the old Biltmore Motor Inn.

gsv

The 1934 Carlton Motor Lodge is next door. -we covered it here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=8508

google aerial

Carlton Motor Lodge

ebay
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 2, 2013 at 11:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I believe this is the old Biltmore Motor Inn.

gsv

It's right next door to the Carlton Motor Lodge.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=8508

google aerial

Carlton Motor Lodge

ebay
__
I'm having trouble finding a specific building segment from the Biltmore to conform with this building. The architecture is certainly from the same streamline moderne school but I can't find anything from the Biltmore that matches up with this building. Also the Carleton predates what we would think the Schultheis' picture date would be (mid-late '30's) and the Carleton promotional material shows it being at 11811 Ventura. The Biltmore Motor Inn's address was 11827 which puts it west of the Carleton, nearer the corner with Carpenter, not east.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 11:25 PM

Manual Arts High School

Quote:
Originally Posted by revheavyg View Post
"I own three blocks downtown, I've got oil in Bakersfield, pumping, pumping, pumping! What's it for but to buy us anything we want!"
I couldn't resist!!
My great-aunt owned a pair of high-producing wells.
They gave her a very nice life :-)

All this Streamline is an excuse to post some pix of Manual Arts High School by John & Donald Parkinson, built after the 1933 Long Beach quake:

http://digital-libraries.saic.edu/cd...ool/mode/exact

4131 S Vermont:

http://lookingforjohnparkinson.shutterfly.com/84[/img]

The new buildings replaced the original 1910 campus, also by Parkinson:

http://www.westadams-normandie.com/lapl/Schools.php

Some hard times at MAHS:
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/sep...banks-20110924

Stiles O Clements also did a Streamline High School, Thomas Jefferson HS, as GW has already posted.

I'm hoping against hope Zara Zahn didn't get an "A" on her History essay :-(

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
I'm hoping against hope Zara Zahn didn't get an "A" on her History essay :-(
I loved the typography and filigree of the O.C. Zahn Painting Co. logo
The 'history' lesson, not so much.

__

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos