HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 12:43 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy321 View Post
Is there any specific reasons on why theres objections
#Moncton must never change - EVER!!!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 1:12 AM

So if this meeting goes well what’s stopping the developer from starting site prep now?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 1:26 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy321 View Post
So if this meeting goes well what’s stopping the developer from starting site prep now?
Nothing whatsoever

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 11:39 AM

This meeting will go well and I don’t think anyone has to be concerned. These people are allowed to share their feelings and opinions, but they also live in a fast growing city and changes are going to happen. City council has not been known to stunt development and I don’t see that beginning now. Tonight we will see the approval of another amazing development.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
This meeting will go well and I don’t think anyone has to be concerned. These people are allowed to share their feelings and opinions, but they also live in a fast growing city and changes are going to happen. City council has not been known to stunt development and I don’t see that beginning now. Tonight we will see the approval of another amazing development.
I agree 100%. I am not sure what they would be looking to protect. These are probably also the same type of people that are against urban sprawl.... They complain about building high, and then they complain about sprawl.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 1:26 PM

It’s probably that Lori Barnes and the tomato people again. I don’t think they will be able to influence the decisions of anybody this time around.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 2:31 PM

I have a lot of sympathy for more-sensible NIMBYs- like it or not, a 70-unit in your backyard is not desired by most suburbanites- but this is exactly the location and type of development that needs support from everyone. Downtown, main corridor, on existing transit route, etc. If you don't want 24-unit buildings on quarter-acre lots off your cul-de-sac, you should be OK with a big-ass building on vacant land between Staples and a strip mall.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 2:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Precisely.

The people arguing against this though are more concerned with the type of Moncton that they want to live in. They are concerned about growth in general, and with such things as traffic, crime, congestion, small town character etc. Their arguments are much more existential.

They don't realize though that that horse has already left the barn. Moncton is a CMA nearing 180,000 people, and the 27th largest CMA in the country. Moncton ain't a small town anymore, and the type of community they fantasize about no longer exists.

Moncton needs to grow to accommodate all the people who apparently want to live here. We need growth to generate the taxes that will pay for the services that we all want to have. Growth is also necessary to give us the resources we need to deal with problems such as homelessness, addiction, street crime and petty theft.

These people need to sit back and think about what they are fighting against. If they don't want height and density then sprawl will be necessary to sustain growth, which will only worsen traffic congestion and commute times. If they are concerned about homelessness, then why are they fighting against new high density apartment construction? Dense neighbourhoods frequently have less street crime because there is more pedestrian traffic on the streets. None of their arguments make any sense really.

They are pining away for a Moncton that no longer exists..................

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
They are pining away for a Moncton that no longer exists..................
Miramichi, Amherst and Truro are perfectly nice places to live if they want that 1980s Moncton feel so badly.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 4:10 PM

If the complaint is to resist growing up, growing out is simply not sustainable. After Moncton rapidly sprawled like a weed into the North End, road maintenance (paving and snow removal), policing, and other services suffered dearly. Spreading out resources is a matter of physics, when cities are more dense, services can be delivered more easily.

I guess the argument could be to not grow at all. That's not possible anymore, not without a mass exodus of people.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 4:58 PM

Might be a little in the weeds for a project specific thread, but how did Moncton end up with so many people along Mountain? There's a lot of closer-in spaces that remain undeveloped or under-developed to this day. Vision Lands, NW inside of Wheeler, the area north of UdeM, Barry Mills Heights, etc)

Saint John had disproportionate growth north because the weather is genuinely better and there's beautiful water views, etc, and I'm not sure NW Moncton has the same motivating factors.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 5:07 PM

I don't know who the particular individuals are who are opposing this development, but now that Jordan Peterson and the right wing machine has started putting their sights on conspiracies about 15 minute cities I am guessing we will see lots of noise from some of these characters who follow him on social media when any new development gets put forward that is large.

Now that we'd move on from covid, they needed to find another grievance to fuel the grift so unfortanutely this is one of them.

Of course these aren't serious people... They can be given their time to be heard as that is the process but any councilor taking their drivel seriously is not fit for office. Once this one is given the green light I don't suspect will see any issues with these other developments coming down the road.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Might be a little in the weeds for a project specific thread, but how did Moncton end up with so many people along Mountain? There's a lot of closer-in spaces that remain undeveloped or under-developed to this day. Vision Lands, NW inside of Wheeler, the area north of UdeM, Barry Mills Heights, etc)

Saint John had disproportionate growth north because the weather is genuinely better and there's beautiful water views, etc, and I'm not sure NW Moncton has the same motivating factors.
Regarding the Vision Lands, a significant chunk of the southern part of the undeveloped area are the U de M endowment lands. More to the north and west, part of the issue there has been limited accessibility due to the two bordering expressways and Mapleton road. Access from Mapleton would require significant investment in road infrastructure. By contrast, the North end was more easily accessible for existing city infrastructure to expand into from Mountain road.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 7:00 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Got it, thanks. I was aware of the diagrams forum on SSP, but had no idea someone had made an entry for Infinity.

It's important to remember that the author is an anonymous SSP member, and his information may not be official, or correct. If the 2028 completion date is correct, this would imply that construction is not imminent, as I think it would take no longer than three years to complete this project. My gut however is telling me that construction will commence shortly after final approval is given.

If approval is given tomorrow, I think you will see site prep beginning by the first of September, with excavation complete by the time snow flies, probably with foundation work and installation of the base of the tower crane. Significant construction will begin next spring, with completion by late 2026 or early 2027.

This is what my gut tells me...........
No longer anonymous. All dates even those released by developers are estimates.

2028 is 4.5 year away. I'm guessing .5 to 1 year to break ground and 3.5 to 4 years to construct. I would say that's a pretty aggressive timeline for a 30 storey tower with 3 level underground that will require some site shoring in Canada. September is 60 days. That's a really short period to get the development reviewed, permits, contractors, drawings and financing together. I don't think any of the 30 storey towers built in Canada in the last 10 years didn't go over 3 years and many hit 4 years. We'll see on ground breaking though.

Every place is different. There's no comparable in Moncton itself. The 3 Sisters are the closest at 15 storey with one basement level. The first tower started in July 2021. It's July 2023 now.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 7:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks for showing interest in this project.

The Three Sisters had all their ducks in a row, and even started site prep before final approval was given. In fact, components of the tower crane were lying on the ground as approval was being publicly discussed. I don't think Infinity is quite as aggressive, but we know a high rise project manager has already been hired, and that two new tower cranes for Moncton have been recently ordered. I think they will start on this very quickly.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 7:39 PM
I am the law!

We'll have to wait and see. Proposed is my least interesting building status. It was much more fun finding 3 missing 10 plus storey buildings in the Moncton database

I'm still suspicious the 90 metre building height is the roof height excluding the mechanical penthouse (another 5 or 6 metres)

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 7:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I'm still suspicious the 90 metre building height is the roof height excluding the mechanical penthouse (another 5 or 6 metres)
Yeah, it seems kinda short. It should really be 100m (if not a little more).

On the other hand, the proposal being discussed is for a building "up to 30 storeys in height", so there is actually wiggle room there for a building with fewer than 30 storeys. I remain hopeful however that 30 storeys is the target they're aiming for. The rendering shows a 30 storey building.

In any event , the public presentation started about an hour ago, to be followed (hopefully) by 2nd & 3rd reading. We will know the final answer later this evening.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 8:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

If anyone wants to follow along, the live webfeed on Rogers TV can be found here:

https://rogerstv.com/show?lid=12&rid...d=1110&eid=275

They are currently discussing the proposal for 1383 Ryan Street across from Northrup Frye School.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 10:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Ryan Street apartment building just survived the city council vote!!!! And this was despite vigourous community opposition. This give me confidence Infinity will also survive. This is coming up for discussion in about five minutes time.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 10:51 PM

Quote:

The Ryan Street apartment building just survived the city council vote!!!! And this was despite vigourous community opposition. This give me confidence Infinity will also survive. This is coming up for discussion in about five minutes time.
Speaking of vigorous...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces