HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 3:34 AM

Anybody? Site prep??

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 2:21 PM
World Machine

It’s a breath of fresh air but still a far cry from substantial development. This project has a ways to go, but it’s nice to see some heavy machinery in the area.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
It’s a breath of fresh air but still a far cry from substantial development. This project has a ways to go, but it’s nice to see some heavy machinery in the area.
True, but hopefully things will be worked out in the near future. I can't wait to see buildings rise in this area!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 5:00 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadate View Post
True, but hopefully things will be worked out in the near future.
Honestly I’d rather see this development coincide with a commercial boom, regardless of how long it takes. At that point is where you will see the site plan maximized to its full potential. I don’t anticipate a commercial boom being that many years off.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 10:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadate View Post
Anybody? Site prep??
Looks like one of the sites cleared for one of the Hudson Yards towers. The railyards development that many people are commenting on won't begin for a couple of years (the platform) with tower development to follow that.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 4:09 AM

more shots from last week

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 2:19 PM
World Machine

Definitely something to keep an eye on.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 2:31 PM
BANNED

Is the top of this platform going to level with the surrounding streets, or is this going to be a (physically separated) "development on a podium"?

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 6, 2010 at 2:02 PM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 6:10 PM

I doubt it. Unless they're doing a traffic-friendly superblock, the most it will be is at street level.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 9:25 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

That is a huge lot and will certainly serve a big purpose. Interesting to see what could possibly commence here now that machinery are at work.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 10:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
I doubt it. Unless they're doing a traffic-friendly superblock, the most it will be is at street level.
I wasn't asking for speculation or guesses. I can do that on my own.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 10:30 PM
World Machine

Judging from the renders and past information, the development will be in alignment with street level. As the development progresses and more information is released (including accurate and specific renders) we’ll get a better idea on how it will be integrated.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2010, 2:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Will View Post
Is the top of this platform going to level with the surrounding streets, or is this going to be a (physically separated) "development on a podium"?
Depends where you look. On the west and southern sides, the platform will be above street level. In fact, it will be higher than the high line itself, which is one of the issues that came up with preserving that portion of the High Line. The city plans to bring the northern side to grade with the platform.

BTW, those photos above are of the Extell site, once proposed as the World Product Center, and one of the so called "four corners" towers.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 1:22 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/16/ar...l?ref=nyregion

West Side Project Wins Grant for Urban Design

A design for a new cultural building planned for the West Side of Manhattan on 30th Street between 11th and 12th Avenues.

By KATE TAYLOR
July 15, 2010

Quote:
The National Endowment for the Arts on Thursday announced $3 million in grants to city governments and other organizations around the country for urban design projects, including $100,000 for advanced work on a cultural building planned as part of the redevelopment of the railyards on the West Side of Manhattan.

The idea for the building, which has been little noted in the New York cultural world until now, envisions a new breed of cultural site — a kind of combination museum and rental exhibition space, which would be self-supporting.

The building, called Culture Shed, was conceived and is being designed by Diller Scofidio & Renfro, in partnership with the Rockwell Group, for the Hudson Yards Development Corporation, a city entity. It would cover a footprint of 22,000 square feet on 30th Street between 11th and 12th Avenues, bordering the High Line to the south and a plaza to the north. The design calls for a five-story building with two translucent sheds that fit over it like trestle tables and can roll out into the plaza to temporarily create an exhibition hall of more than 55,000 square feet.

According to someone involved with the project who was not authorized to describe it and spoke only on the condition of anonymity, the building would be primarily, but not exclusively, for visual art. It would not be affiliated with any one cultural institution but would instead function like a time share, with different institutions as partners. (The Tate Modern, in London, has been mentioned.) So far, several institutions in the United States and Europe have expressed interest in being involved, the person said.

The 26-acre railyards site is being developed by the Related Companies. Joanna Rose, a spokeswoman for Related, said the timing of the start of construction on the railyards site depends on securing the anchor tenants, but could be as early as 2012.

Wendy Leventer, senior vice president for planning and design at Hudson Yards Development, said, “We think the design team has come up with an idea that really has tremendous potential.” said The grants will also support 20 other projects around the country, including the creation of an arts and culture campus on part of a former Bethlehem Steel plant in Bethlehem, Pa., and the development of a building with affordable housing for artists in downtown Los Angeles.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 2:34 PM
Show me the blueprints

^That looks killer. Reeaallyy hope it happens.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 4:25 AM

any new renders of the shed? i need to see more before i pass judgement

Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 4:34 AM

took these from inside the yards about a month ago.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 2:29 AM

awesome!!!!!!

Quote:

Tunneling for 7 train extension finished

By Philip Newman
Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:10 AM EDT
Comment (No comments posted.) Email To a Friend

Mayor Michael Bloomberg and MTA Chairman Jay Walder extol the work progress on the No. 7 subway line extension on Manhattan's far West Side. The occasion was the completion of tunneling below the Port Authority Bus Terminal last Thursday. Photo By: Philip Newman
Amid thunderous grinding and clouds of dust, a huge boring machine crashed through a wall of rock to complete the final tunneling for an extension of the No. 7 subway, the way to work for thousands of Queens commuters.

Both Metropolitan Transportation Authority Chairman Jay Walder and Mayor Michael Bloomberg were elated — the mayor because it was a goal of his administration and Walder because it makes possible expansion at a time of economic hardship when the city is footing the bill.

Both officials spoke at a news conference at the Port Authority Bus Terminal last Thursday.

New York City will pay the $2.1 billion bill for the extension past Times Square to 11th Avenue and 34th Street.

“For decades, people have talked about the Hudson Yards on Manhattan’s far West Side as a potential opportunity to provide a new office space, housing, parks and jobs adjacent to the world’s premier business district,” Bloomberg said. “But nothing ever happened. We’re acting to make sure that it does.”

He added, “This is one project that is on-time and on-budget.”

Walder told people assembled in corner of the Port Authority bus terminal that “this marks the final leg of the second of two, 1,000-ton tunnel boring machines that have mined more than a combined 9,300 feet to reach this point. It’s a major milestone for a project that has been emblematic of the strong partnership between agencies to complete a project that will increase capacity within our transit system and help redevelop a vital part of our city that will spur future growth.”

The extension of the No. 7 line is scheduled to be completed in December 2013.

The West Side Yards is the largest, undeveloped single area left in Manhattan and was designed to accommodate a giant platform above railroad tracks, which is used for storage of Long Island Rail Road train cars.

The area is projected to be home to 12 million square feet of commercial and residential development, including 5,000 affordable and market-rate residences in nine residential buildings, three corporate headquarters sites, a retail complex including a department store, a 300-room convention hotel, cultural facilities and a new 750-seat public school as well as 12 acres of public open space. The plan for the project was devised by the Hudson Yards Development Corp., a city agency, with contributions from a variety of architectural firms for various aspects of the proposed construction.

ADVERTISEMENT
Madison Square Garden briefly considered moving to the area and the area was once suggested as a site for a West Side stadium for the New York Jets.

Originally, the No. 7 extension plan included a station at 10th Avenue and 41st Street that was abandoned as too expensive, but the idea has again emerged as possible.

“We did not have the money originally,” Bloomberg said. “Now we want to restore the 41st Street station so everybody should call or otherwise make themselves heard to their legislators. Tell them we need the money.”

Reach contributing writer Philip Newman by e-mail at timesledgernews@cnglocal.com or phone at 718-260-4536.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 11:10 PM

so Girasole can begin construction right?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 12:41 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development