HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
I think this could be a key point. Cheap financing fuels the flames of real estate development like few other things can.
True, rates are low and falling again. But many banks are getting a bit more picky at approving loans. More risk aversion. They want the borrowers to have more "skin" in the game, in the form of their own funds. A project that has lease commitments is also more likely to get funded. Definite credit tightening going on. One thing is pretty certain--the days of easy Chinese money in quantity is over for now. Hopefully Canadian, U.S. and Euro funds will fill the bucket. But a slowdown in the boom was inevitable, in L.A. and other cities. Lower rates ARE a net positive as long as the banks are willing to lend and we don't fall into a recession. The Olympics and need for housing are positive, but the real demand is for more affordable housing for the lower and middle classes. Most of the DTLA projects target the wealthy or upper middle class. Can affordable housing projects pencil out? It might take some government subsidies. The government could help out by approving more projects featuring smaller units, even micro-units under 500 sq. ft.

I think a skyscraper filled with affordable smaller units would sell out like hotcakes. Tiny apartments and tiny condos and tiny houses sell if the price is right. More projects should also be developed that feature the "dorm" model--a central kitchen/living area shared by a number of residents who have their own private rooms (with a small bathroom) surrounding the common area. I could see a project built with one common area per floor, and private rooms surrounding the commons (kitchen, rec room, lounge etc.). Or maybe just a big common room/dining room/gym/rec room for the entire building. A staff would be hired to prepare meals and keep things clean for the entire building of private small rooms. Each room would have a small bathroom/small shower. Could really pack in the units, and keep them fairly cheap.

Last edited by CaliNative; Nov 2, 2019 at 12:23 AM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 5:17 AM

Nov 1, 2019---"blade runner" day

"Blade Runner" was set on Nov. 1, 2019. Where are the flying cars, replicants, acid rain, and skyscrapers in the sky? Anyway, we do have supercomputers in our pockets. Blade Runner didn't have those.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
I don't get it, why DTLA has gotten so dependent on Chinese money. I would think there'd be developers from the U.S., Canada and NYC that would be just as eager to invest in DTLA as well.
I think with DTLA being extremely close to a major tipping point, we will see a lot more developers take notice. Hopefully a lot of those currently building in NYC. We just need to take care of the homeless issue & DTLA will be an amazing urban center.

Last edited by bhunsberger; Nov 3, 2019 at 6:48 AM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 5:05 PM

Odd time in LA's history. sort of a case of, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times....

Oceanwide proj still being unfinished yrs after groundbreaking, with no guarantee it will be completed in the future, is making me think of that site yrs ago when construction barricades were put up around it, only to be removed a few months later due to the devlpr backing out. It sat as a parking lot for yrs on end, not much better than the tinker toy structure on bunker hill that used to sit across from disney hall.

The city isn't attracting lots of businesses & ppl in the way it should be if it were really healthy.....housing prices too high, too many homeless ppl all over the place....places smelling of urine & ppl having to walk carefully around poop on the sidewalks (from ppl or dogs?)....don't want dtla to return to its bad ol past....or get trapped in its current condition.

Quote:
Central Los Angeles is set to see the largest population growth in the Greater L.A. area. According to a new report from JLL, Central Los Angeles is expected to see this population growth over the next five years. Downtown Los Angeles will see the biggest increase in population, with 12,000 new residents entering the market by 2024. That is a 20% increase, the largest in L.A. Koreatown and Hollywood are also expected to see a healthy increase in population.

While the Central L.A. area will see the most population growth in Los Angeles, the greater market is still seeing stagnant pop. “Net migration overall for LA County has been in the red for the last few years. In 2018 it’s estimated that 34,000 more people moved out of LA County than moved in,” says Schiada.

“This is not a decline in population overall, but we’re on the line given total population grew by just 17,000 people last year (thanks to births). Housing affordability is certainly a major driver; just look next door to Riverside County where home prices are more affordable than the rest of SoCal; it’s one of the fastest growing counties in the country.”

ESRI forecasts Downtown, Marina Del Rey and Playa Vista to have the strongest population growth through 2024 at 21%, 15%, and 14%, respectively.”

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 6:42 PM

31-story tower at 4th & Hill near Perla looks increasingly likely

Quote:
On Tuesday, the Los Angeles City Council’s planning and land use management committe approved the project’s Sustainable Communities Environmental Assessment, which allows for a streamlined environmental review for projects that are in line with regional transportation plans to reduce greenhouse gas emissions—mainly by creating dense housing near public transportation.

The tower would sit directly over the entrance to Metro’s Pershing Square subway station at the northeast corner of Hill and Fourth, where the Historic Core and Bunker Hill meet.

The TCA Architects-designed tower would hover over the Metro entrance, which, in renderings, appears much more visible and easier to access than the current portal. The new building at 340 South Hill would replace a parking lot and taco restaurant on the site now.
https://la.curbed.com/2019/11/6/2095...ershing-square

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 11:28 PM

First glimpse: Marmol Radziner to helm Hotel Cecil’s interior renovations

Quote:
Renderings of Marmol Radziner’s plans were presented publicly for the first time last week to the city’s cultural heritage commission. John LoCascio of consulting firm Historic Resources Group told the board that renovations will include returning many features inside and outside of the hotel to the way they were in 1924, when the Cecil opened.

Under the plans, the hotel’s roof, the scene of a tragedy that inspired a season of American Horror Story, will be converted into amenity space for hotel guests.

Non-historic storefronts along Main Street will be removed, along with some of the hotel’s signs and its marquee. New storefronts made to match the original facades will be installed instead. The hotel’s blade signs and the large painted wall sign on the building’s south face are set to be restored and new entrance doors to the hotel will be installed.

The lobby’s interiors elements will be retained, Locascio said, though the marble flooring and finishes will be replaced with terrazzo.

Eilers said that construction on the Hotel Cecil is expected to begin in January.
https://la.curbed.com/2019/11/12/209...armol-radziner

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 5:52 AM

Just a little skyline shot from my hike in Griffith today.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 6:33 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Great shot! It was very clear today, I drove through Pasadena on the 210 toward Ventura and north and could see downtown nicely from there...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 4:46 PM

Thanks bhunsberger! Looking good. Next tower that should impact this will be the Brookfield tower down by 7th and Fig. I think it may just block the Pelli building from that angle, rather than expand the skyline.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Thanks bhunsberger! Looking good. Next tower that should impact this will be the Brookfield tower down by 7th and Fig. I think it may just block the Pelli building from that angle, rather than expand the skyline.
Yeah, unfortunately it will be blocked by a number of angles. It should still stay visible from Kenneth Hahn though, which is my favorite skyline view.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 5:54 AM

Wells Fargo Center announces food establishments coming.
https://whatnowlosangeles.com/shake-...-fargo-center/

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 2:31 PM

Awesome. I like it.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 3:39 AM

I love seeing cranes dotted around a skyline, but I'm getting real tired of seeing those cranes at Oceanwide already.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
I love seeing cranes dotted around a skyline, but I'm getting real tired of seeing those cranes at Oceanwide already.
Well, at least its topped out, so almost certain to be finished sooner or later by someone. In contrast, the SF Oceanwide is basically just a hole in the ground. I can't imagine a mostly complete project just across from Staples being left unfinished, especially with the Olympics coming up in a few years. A deal will likely be made to get it done.

Last edited by CaliNative; Nov 20, 2019 at 10:23 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Well, at least its topped out, so almost certain to be finished sooner or later by someone. In contrast, the SF Oceanwide is basically just a hole in the ground. I can't imagine a mostly complete project just across from Staples being left unfinished, especially with the Olympics coming up in a few years. A deal will likely be made to get it done.
Trying to deliver over 500 condominiums in this market in DTLA right now is overly ambitious IMO. Pre sales on this must be abysmal.

I can see it being sold and at least a portion of the units becoming rental apartments.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 9:51 PM

'
After looking at street view, do you think Skid Row could've been a decent urban neigborhood (something like the arts district) if there wasn't the huge homeless issue there?

Strange question, but it makes me wonder.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
'
After looking at street view, do you think Skid Row could've been a decent urban neigborhood (something like the arts district) if there wasn't the huge homeless issue there?

Strange question, but it makes me wonder.
absolutely. Especially 3rd to 5th,l os angeles to San pedro roughly... I've always thought it would be awesome. Narrow streets, small buildings...should be full of bars, shops and restaurants

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Trying to deliver over 500 condominiums in this market in DTLA right now is overly ambitious IMO. Pre sales on this must be abysmal.

I can see it being sold and at least a portion of the units becoming rental apartments.
Yes, rentals for one of the buildings, one of the 40 story towers. Maybe another could be a hotel, and the tallest the condo tower. This will get done, maybe not by the Chinese company, but someone will take it on.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Yes, rentals for one of the buildings, one of the 40 story towers. Maybe another could be a hotel, and the tallest the condo tower. This will get done, maybe not by the Chinese company, but someone will take it on.
I believe the tallest is already slated to have a Park Hyatt... at least in a portion of it.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post

31-story tower at 4th & Hill near Perla looks increasingly likely

https://la.curbed.com/2019/11/6/2095...ershing-square
I do like that this is replacing the parking lot there. I wish it were actually incorporated into the metro entrance though rather than having the metro continue to stand in isolation.

Also, absolutely love Perla - one of my favorite downtown towers in recent memory. A great look for Broadway!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations